Start by marking “Curious George's First Day of School” as Want to Read:
Curious George's First Day of School

Curious George's First Day of School

(Curious George New Adventures)

It’s the first day of school, and Curious George has been invited to Mr. Apple’s class to be a special helper! George is just the right monkey for the job—until he starts to wreak his usual havoc, that is. Red and yellow paint makes orange, yellow and blue makes green . . . and a mixture of all the paint colors makes a big mess! Curious George and the First Day of School i ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Curious George's First Day of School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curious George's First Day of School

Start your review of Curious George's First Day of School
Maria
May 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Not very much to say about this one. This was your typical Curious George kind of book that followed the recipe to the letter.
Siena Trehy
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Curious George is a picture book that is great for kids aged 4-9. Kids under 4 years old can absolutely enjoy hearing this story aloud, but it's illustrations do not tell the full story. Kids above 9 or 10 may be disinterested in the plot, but it is still a good casual read to share with kids of many ages.

This particular book is about George's first day of school, as the title suggests. As usual, George is very interested in all things school: math, reading, art, and physical education. He goes
Amber Campson
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Curious George's First Day of School" by Margret Rey, ISNB Number 13-978-0618-60563-7 is an amazing picture book that is well known all over the country.

It's the first day of school and curious George has been invited to attend Mr. Apples class to be a special helper. Curious George ends up making a huge mess mixing paints, so he tries to clean it with a mop/bucket that he ended up stealing from the janitors closet , only making a bigger mess when it all spills out on to the classroom floor.
Clwseattle
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Curious George's First Day of School wasn't about children's first day of school, it was about Curious George's!

Curious George's First Day of School is one of about 25 'kindergarten' books I'm reading before I buy one for my grand who starts kindergarten this year. While I enjoyed Curious George's First Day of School and will read it to my grand, it's not the kindergarten keepsake book I'm hoping to find.
Rosa Cline
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, kids, back-to-school
George gets to go to school with the children. He gets to help with the activities including painting! But there are only three colors, but George knows to mix colors to make other colors. BUT while he does this he makes a huge mess and gets into trouble. But like always the adults know he was trying to help out. A fun adventurous learning storybook that you and your reader-listener will enjoy.
Colette
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Day two of second grade for Daisy and book number two was donated and gifted to her by Mrs. Munoz. She really enjoyed her first day of 2nd gr. More good books to come.

This would be a good first day of school book for Prek-1st graders.
Anneke Alnatour
Only since the boys came around, I really started reading Curious George, and appreciating the stories.
George is funny, and always up for a great adventure. I really enjoy spending time with him.

Kristen Dutkiewicz
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another cute short Curious George story. I especially liked how secondary colors were explained when George mixed the red, blue and yellow paints !
Leann Manney
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Curious George’s First Day of School is a fantastic, well developed, and also relatable book to almost anyone of age. Curious George is a monkey who was asked to be a “classroom helper” for the first day of school. The book starts its setting in a classroom where the students are engaging in fun activities and George helps them. For example, George helps the kids read, count, play ball, and enjoy snack time. The book takes a turn when it is time for arts and crafts where the students are paintin ...more
Jessica Breighner
It’s the first day of school and George has been invited to Mr. Apple’s class to be a special helper! George is just the right monkey for the job—that is, until he starts to make his usual mischief. A mixture of red and yellow paint makes orange . . . a mixture of yellow and blue makes green. . . . and a mixture of all the paint colors makes a big mess! After a speedy adventure up and down the halls of the school, George and Mr. Apple clean up the classroom—with a little help from George’s new f ...more
Morlando K
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
We love Curious George books!
Kayla
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Curious George's First Day of School is a day where George gets to go to school to be a special helper! George is very excited and is an excellent special helper, but not long into the day George begins to stir up trouble as he begins mixing paint colors. George makes a very big mess, and when he tries to clean it up he only makes it worse. When the children see how sad George is, they begin to help George clean up showing compassion and friendship to George.

I would use this book to teach a less
Cristina Ortega
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Though typically children's books that are based off of a tv show are not considered high quality literature I would have to disagree because after reading Curious George's First Day of School by Margret Rey I would have to say that you shouldn't necessarily stay away from all children's books based off tv shows.I found this book to be a very good book for early readers because it's relatable for the children to read a book about a monkey that is nervous yet excited to go to school this makes it ...more
Anne-thomas Donnelly
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic
Curious George's Fist Day of School by Margret Rey is a story of George, a monkey, and his first day at school being a helper. George was more than excited to be going to school! He could not wait. George helped the students with their math, reading, and recess. But when art time came around that is when the trouble began. George was curious, as usual, to see what would happen when the paint colors were mixed together. Although he didn't mean to, George ended up making a big mess! But in the end ...more
Taylor Railey
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
I loved this book and it would be great to read on the first day of school before talking about classroom rules and having helpers around the classroom.
This book would be fitting for a kindergarten or first grade classroom because students that age still enjoy Curious George and more still watch his show.
This book is about Curious George the monkey being helper in a classroom. The students love him because of how much he helps out with everything. In the middle of the day things get out of han
Samantha
Get ready! Its the first day of school, and George was invited! George was invited by a teacher to help in the first day of school. He does a great job until, he gets curious about the paint colors. After he makes a huge mess, he gets in trouble by the teacher, janitor, and principal. All his new school friends felt bad for George and helped him clean up the mess. Everyone is no longer upset with him and he is invited back to school again. This book is great to read for the first day of school a ...more
Casey Anderson
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think that the Curious George books are terrific books for young children! I particularly liked this one where he went to school and was a helper. It shows children the importance of being a helper at times, and how to help someone else when they need it.

Activity extension: Give each child several different cups of different colors of paint including red, blue, yellow, black, white and any other you would want to add. Also give children plastic spoons to mix with and several empty bowls. Instr
Jasmine George
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Curious George is known for being a popular book and after this series i still feel it will always be a popular book. This book is great to read for a child's first day of school. It also has many lessons that children can learn from.

Learning Experiance:

In this book there was an incident where George only had had three colors (red, blue and yellow)but George wanted to make more colors. I can teach the kids how to mix colors by providing those three colors in paint and have them do an experiment
Kelsey Scherer
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My new favorite book! This book was given to me as a gift and it is perfect for the first day of school! It is the story of how curious George has been invited into a classroom, to help throughout the school year. He is so excited to be there and help out that he doesn't realize all of the mistakes and messes he has created. In the end, all of the students love him, and he is invited back for more!
Beyond the Pages
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved Curious George's First Day of School! What's not to love about this cute, little guy who just wants to learn, understand, and do his best to help out? In this book, George helps alright. He helps the teacher, the kids in his classroom, the janitor, the principal and even himself in typical Curious George style. This book is funny, charming, and educational. That's the treat with George - there is always something to be learned. :-)

I secured this title from my local library.
Brittany Wood
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
Curious George's First Day of School would be a great book to read to students on the first day of school. This book is appropriate for five to eight year old children. In this book, George the monkey shows all his classmates how to be a great helper. The illustrations in the book show children how to help each other in all areas of the classroom. The book touched on the areas of social and emotional development as well as approaches to play and learning.
Bryce Skiles
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I think it would be a good book to read to a kindergarten class or preschool class on the first day of school. It is a good book to show that on the first day you come in not knowing what to expect and wanting to be a good student and do fun things and help but it can cause a mess. Also that you will make friends on the first day and they will be there through the whole year with you to help you out.
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
George goes to school to help on the first day. Everything started out fine, until the paint got out of control. Will he be able to get out of this mess?

This book has a nice addition of teaching colors while George is mixing paints.

Curious George is one of my favorite characters. Like most young children, he gets into trouble accidentally then has to get out of the mess he has caused. I think he is very easy for kids to identify with and this series is easy and fun to read.
Myriam B.
Aug 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I like this book because when a child is really trying to do something good, but they sometimes make a mess. I could understand Curious George was really trying to help and I like how they all help him out.

LE: I will ask the children to practice helping others doing clean up time. I will ask them go to one of their classmate and ask to help fix the blocks or the dramatic center.

Savannah
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
George makes new colors in school but makes a mess so he tries to clean it up. It was perfect timing when we came across this story in Curious George Stories to Share because my 5 year old D just brought home an artist pallet with all six colors. Red, yellow, and blue. He explained that he mixed the three to get orange, green and purple.
Jade Detzer
This book showcases a prime lesson throughout. Even though George made a big mess, he did his best to help clean it up and his friends and classmates all pitched in to help him out as well. This book would be a good one to read on the first day of school to a younger grade level to show them that lending a helping hand gets things done efficiently.
Margaret Chind
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally a George Kindle book without double text! This is a cute little Curious George book about the first day of school where George gets to visit and be a helper for the day. Pretty good for building thoughts and sequence what happens next conversations.
Mark Balson
May 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s, fiction
This was a book that I read to my grandson when he was five and started asking about going to school. We read the book a couple of times byt this was not one of his favorites. He just wanted some assurances that no monkeys would be at his school. Once we did that he was good.
Anna
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part of the Kohls' Cares program.

Classic George tale. He starts school, makes a big mess in the classroom, makes a bigger mess trying to help out, but eventually makes things right.

Brought to the boys December 2013.
Sgivens
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
A cute story about George's first day of school. He is a great helper for the students all day but there was a time when his help just caused disaster. There is a great lesson taught with this story, if you help others they will help you in return.
How to Boost Your Child for First Day at School? 1 1 Jun 26, 2019 11:29PM
GOOD BOOOK 2 2 Sep 05, 2007 02:14PM
GOOD BOOOK 1 2 Sep 04, 2007 06:07PM

• The Berenstain Bears and the Truth
  • It's True (Mercer Mayer's Little Critter Inspired Kids)
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room
  • The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV
  • Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!
  • Clifford’s Birthday Party
  • Please, Mr. Panda
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • I Survived the San Francisco Earthquake, 1906 (I Survived, #5)
  • The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners
  • You Go First (Mercer Mayer's Little Critter Inspired Kids)
  • Curious George Farm to Table
  • A Is for Apple
  • Grumpy Monkey
  • The Berenstain Bears Trick or Treat
  • The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food
Margret Elizabeth Rey (May 16, 1906 – December 21, 1996), born Margarete Elisabeth Waldstein, was (with her husband H. A. Rey), the co-author and illustrator of children's books, best known for their Curious George

Although she was born in Germany, she fled to Brazil early in her life to escape Nazism. While there, she met her future husband Hans (who was a salesman and also from Germany). They mar

Curious George New Adventures (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Curious George Goes to the Aquarium