Start by marking “Jack Knife” as Want to Read:
Jack Knife

Jack Knife

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  132 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
For Inspector Jonas Robb, each night brings new terror. But this night is different. It's brought two strangers-David and Sara-who have arrived in London seemingly with no past. What they do have is incredible knowledge about the Whitechapel fiend known as Jack the Ripper. Because David and Sara do have a past. It just happens to be in the future.

Sent back in time, they're
Mass Market Paperback, 343 pages
Published January 30th 2007 by Jove

To ask other readers questions about Jack Knife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack Knife

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I went through this period where if a book looked even remotely interesting, I'd buy it/request it from Netgalley/borrow it from the library. As you can imagine, this was problematic for several reasons - book clutter, for one. It also resulted in some very serious buyer's remorse. Take JACK KNIFE.Two government agents go into Victorian England to collect a rogue scientist who is hell-bent on reenacting the plot of Tomorrow Never Dies? Plea
Belladonna
Aug 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Not one for tear-jerkers, I cried in the end. I loved the sci-fi and historical combination of the plot. There is action and intellect, and invokes thinking about time travel/changing the future.
Callee Taber
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. Although it did start off a little slow in the beginning, it's all worth it in the end! I'm not going to write a long review about what I loved in this book, because I enjoyed everything. I love a good book that can make you cry, although I did want an extremely happy ending; the ending given will always stay in your heart.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a good mystery, romance, or even a historical background.
Kevin
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
My wife and I both thought this one was outstanding. A story of a group who travels through time to Whitechapel, London during the time of the Jack the Ripper murders. They try to find the killer. The time and place was well written and the story is a thrill a minute! I could not put this one down until it was finished.
J.
Jul 09, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: idiots
This was probably the worst book I have ever read, and I once read a book about killer seagulls. In addition to the ridiculous plot and the horrible writing, this author commits some of the worst abuses I have ever seen inflicted upon the noble semi-colon in a published work of fiction. I only wish that Good Reads allowed a zero star rating.
Samantha
Dec 02, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Historical Fiction Fans
This book, for me, started off on shaky ground. Time travelers going back in time to when the Jack the Ripper crimes took place in London to try to find and bring back a rogue physicist from the 21st century before he changes history forever? Far-fetched.

It also didn't help that the heroine is an uber-feminist who chafes at the constraints put on women in Victorian society. And some of the quips made me roll my eyes - "Wait until you get the Internet," she says. Ugh.

The way the book is written a
Lesa Colleran
Jun 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Jack Knife, by Virginia Baker (a Writers of the Future grand prize winner for “Rachel’s Wedding”), is an entertaining but familiar twist on the Jack-the-Ripper mystery, which has gotten a lot of play in the SF and fantasy field, with TV shows like Star Trek and Babylon 5 making use of it, and writers as varied as Robert Bloch, Harlan Elllison, Alan Moore and Karl Alexander using it for fictional fodder. Like Alexander (whose book Time After Time was adapted to film), Baker makes use of time trav ...more
Karla
Nov 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
One has to enjoy time-travel themed books to get into the plot of this book. I've always been a sucker for them (thanks to "Wrinkle in Time") and am always one to try a book like this out. I fell easily into the plot and would have read it sooner had my social life not been so fantastic. :-P

I definitely recommend this book as it was an excellent twist on the "Jack the Ripper" story and hadmany unforeseen occurrences that kept me in suspense and avidly interested.
Terri
A scientist goes back in time, goes mad and tries to change history. Two others go back to stop him. In the middle of it all is Whitechapel and the jack the Ripper crimes. Emphasizing social classes, poverty and their role in social upheaval. it is an interesting book but not as engrossing as I had hoped
Cindi
Oct 11, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Nobody
Very so-so. I don't know why I picked up a book that involved time-travel. Not my thing. Mindless reading after days of cleaning out basement and garage this past week. Glad I'm finished and can move on.
RunRachelRun
Dec 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
Another airport book - another flight, another book. It's a strategy - show up at the airport without a book so I'm forced to make a snap judgement and end up with a book that I perhaps wouldn't have chosen. That said, this is not a very interesting book.
Megan Michelau
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
I found this book really hard to follow. It was all over the place and didn't seem to catch up in the end.
Holly
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fun absorbing read. Really loved this one.
Shawn
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: time-travel, horror
I really liked this. It has a bit of a frenetic pace that does take a while to get use to. But who is not going to lie time travel mixed with Jack the Ripper.
Edb
Dec 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A very good book about Jack the Ripper and time travel.
Jill Porter
I couldn't put it down.Scarey but so good! Sherlockian!
Keith Bowden
An odd mix of genres in an interesting novel centered around Jack the Ripper.
Betty
Aug 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
Did not find this interesting at all..So, not reading it.
Dindy
May 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I didn't make it very far in this. Too much jumping around and I was having trouble keeping up with it. It just didn't hold my interest so I bailed before I got too far.
Brendan Beers
Cathy
Jun 25, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Ghost Monster
  • The House of Brass (Ellery Queen Detective, #32)
  • Loser's Town
  • Coming Home (Sophie Anderson, #6)
  • It Happened One Knife (Double Feature Mystery #2)
  • Agatha Christie's Detectives: Five Complete Novels: The Murder at the Vicarage / Dead Man's Folly / Sad Cypress / Towards Zero / N or M?
  • Eye of the Raven (Duncan McCallum, #2)
  • The Lost Van Gogh
  • Darkhouse
  • The Cairo Diary
  • Jack the Ripper: The 21st Century Investigation: A Top Murder Squad Detective Reveals the Ripper's Identity at Last!
  • The Magic of the Unicorn (Choose Your Own Adventure, #51)
  • A Study in Red (The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper, #1)
  • The Third Rail (Michael Kelly, #3)
  • Colonel
  • Crusade (Making of England, #2)
  • Zack