Start by marking “John Burnet of Barns” as Want to Read:
John Burnet of Barns

John Burnet of Barns

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Set in the Scottish Borders in 1678, this historical novel tells the story of John Burnet, a young nobleman who sets out to gain an education abroad, only to find himself betrayed in his absence by his cousin. He returns and puts himself in great danger in an attempt to regain his lost inheritance.
Published September 1st 2001 by B & W Publishing (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about John Burnet of Barns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Burnet of Barns

dragonhelmuk
AVOID! This is the first John Buchan book I have ever read which I did not really enjoy. The chauvanistic and entitled attitude of the main character were terrible to read, and I'm afraid if I'd read this book first I would have a terrible view of John Buchan as someone who believed that poor people and rich people had different places in the world. The narrator constantly reminds himself that he is "above" the people he meets and sometimes bewails the fact he cannot dress in expensive clothes a ...more
Sarahandus
Mar 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
I have a hard time giving a rating. While I kept reading to find out what happened, the getting there was a struggle.
First one has to translate the dialect into something understandable, the Nook's dictionary was some help.
Then all the traveling, and there was a lot of it, was done in great detail.
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
An old and tattered hardback, obviously bought in a secondhand shop somewhere, turns up when Susanne does a spring clean with my name written in it. Most likely left there when we lived with them in 1989 for a few months - I have no memory of it at all. Now I have read it twice. I love the scottish dialect which rings true on the ear (and heart) and the miles of empty spaces in southern scotland.
Cassia
Sep 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not just a romance, but adventures and disadventures of a Scottish gentleman around the Netherlands and the wildest highlands of Scotland to find himself, regain his honour and save his true love. Rambling prose, but pleasant.
Stephen
Early Buchan, an enjoyable yarn in which the maestro has not fully developed his powers of atmosphere. Reminds me a bit of Moonfleet
I've read it twice of thrice over fifty years.
George Hebenton
Mentions places I know quite well in the borders. Peebles area. Enjoyable read to me as it mixes interest in historical fiction and well kent places
Louise Musgrave
Jan 26, 2015
Tim Meneely
Jul 08, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
John Buchan (1st Baron Tweedsmuir) was a Scottish novelist and public servant who combined a successful career as an author of thrillers, historical novels, histories and biographies with a parallel career in public life. At the time of his death he was Governor-General of Canada.

Buchan was educated at Glasgow and Oxford Universities. After a brief career in law he went to South Africa in 1902 wh
More about John Buchan...