Start by marking “Language and the Pursuit of Happiness: A New Foundation for Designing Your Life, Your Relationships and Your Results” as Want to Read:

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  109 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
What if one of the most powerful avenues to your achieving a balance of peacefulness and productivity - defined here as happiness - at home and at work, is so close that you may have missed it? What if by taking a new look here you can open truly unprecedented possibilities for yourself and your effectiveness, the quality of your relationships, as well as your emotional an ...more
Published August 1st 2004 by New Possibilites Pr

To ask other readers questions about Language and the Pursuit of Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Language and the Pursuit of Happiness

Tucker
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: coaching
Good insights into language as creative act that shapes how we view and understand the world. The book emphasizes that some statements are facts, others opinion. There are also declarations, requests, offers, and promises that affect how we behave and how we are perceived and received by others.
Becky
Dec 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book difficult. It has some things that I've run into with other parts of my coaching training, but I really had to work to read it. Maybe after I've been exposed to other things it may be more approachable, but for now it wasn't.
Deanne
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, which describes the Ontological approach to language. I felt that it provided great explanations of the linguistic distinctions (assessments, assertions, declarations, requests, offers, etc). I had a basic understanding of the Ontological approach to language when I read this book, and I found that it greatly assisted me in expanding my knowledge of the linguistic distinctions.
Kelli
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book with a lot of insightful information, but it is hard to read. Nonetheless the information in the text is invaluable. If you’re looking to be happier and to learn how your language plays a huge role in your happiness then this is definitely the book for you. It will also help you to be a more effective communicator. My leadership coach recommended it to me.
Danielle Janzen
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little "heady" - I had to be in the right mood to read this one or else it would go right over my head. Overall, great book for managing a team or communicating with others.
T.K. Coleman
Language and the pursuit of happiness contains a variety of practical thoughts on the ways in which our awareness of key conceptual & linguistic distinctions affects the experience of perception and the actions we take/effects we create as a result. The main premise of the book is that language is not merely passive and descriptive, but also generative and creative. According to Chalmers, we "speak our world into being" by concealing, disclosing, modifying, and arranging our possibilities ba ...more
Deborah
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Swashbooked, 10 minutes + discussion, Christmas 2012, with @ipreuss.

Why I picked it: I heard about it when I studied coaching with Newfield Network. It's an important book on one of the three key Newfield concepts (Language, Moods & Emotions, Body).

Notes:

Font: really sucks

p iii:
* "A word about Paradigms: ... I am not claiming they are "the right way" or "the only way" or "the truth"..."

p iv: How the book is structured:

Ch1 You can't change what you don't see (being "at choice" about making
Mike Porter
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: transformational
Excellent. Helpful. A clear exposition of how language is "the tool we cannot put down" and how the use of language creates our reality. Brothers does a very readable job of synthesizing the work of many others. The book is written in a way that mirrors his consulting practice, so it is a hands on style and not theoretical. I use this book as a reference in my consulting work.
prasad patil
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why language is important ? its all about to know the difference between Assertions, Declarations and assessments. Which forms our personality , how we deal with the internal world and out side. . .how the language affects our physical and relation ship health
Jurgen Appelo
Dec 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: happiness
Godawful text full of platitudes and hyperbole, presenting some obvious and debatable opinions as (of course) a Paradigm Shift, in a writing style that worked on my nerves.
Randy Keirn
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
As a leadership trainer who specializes in conflict and communications, I am finding a number of useful ideas that support some of the training That I aLready do.
George
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
One of the best works for understanding Ontology and distinctions that help you create in life rather than react!
Christine Kettelkamp