Start by marking “Whispers of the Past” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Whispers of the Past

Owen Clough

Whispers of the Past

Sam is employed by the Department of Conservation (DoC). His two mates are helping out. Their task is to clear out as many feral pigs as they can in the Tongariro National Park, which is located in the North Island of New Zealand. There are three major volcanoes within this park, so the culling of the pigs has to be done with great care as there are an abundant amount of t ...more
ebook
Published February 12th 2016 by Lang Book Publishing, Limited

Start your review of Whispers of the Past
Sharmishtha Shenoy
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very unusual story set in New Zealand beautifully written by Owen Clough in loving detail. I can safely say that I have never read a book like this! It was certainly very insightful as well as enjoyable. It has history, time travel, fantasy, adventure. The reader can sense the author's love for his homeland through his detailed descriptions.

"Whispers of the Past" starts with a detailed account of a "Tramp" into the bush of New Zealand.Sam and his two mates are trying to cle
Monique
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a review copy. I loved this book. After enjoying the Outlander series and the books by Traci Harding this was right up my alley. Delving into New Zealands history, Owen Clough makes you ask yourself how would you survive if it had happened to you all the while spinning a tale that you just can't put down. I can't wait for the sequel.
Anahit Arustamyan
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this interesting book by Owen Clough. The author uses a great technique in the descriptions of the events and the characters are well developed too. This creative work is a historical fiction which is unique and full of actions and adventures. The author's creative imagination takes the three men from 2014 to 1863 in New Zealand in the time where their ancestors lived.
Whispers of the Past is a wonderful fiction rich in beautifully penned imaginary situations.
I highly rec
Clabe Polk
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A pig Hunt afoul of nasty weather becomes a great historical action story.

I truly enjoyed this book but never quite knew whether I was reading science fiction, historic fiction or a history textbook masquerading as a fiction thriller. I finally decided to forget the genre schizophrenia and focus on the story which was informative and drew me in for a variety of reasons.

The plot revolves around three friends on an extended hunting trip that run afoul of a naturally occurri
Berk Rourke
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story is an historical tale presented by one of three men who lived through what the author at one point calls a time warp. The time warp took the three men from 2014 to 1863 in New Zealand where they lived. Their adventures, their hopes and desires, the marriage of one of them to a Maori woman, are all recounted in detail. Sometimes there is a little too much minutiae in the telling of these tales but that critical remark is the only criticism I give the book. I will not tell you the tales ...more
Nancy Silk
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Swept Into A Different Time"

This is an intense and intriguing story of three men, Bob Kydd, who tells the story, and his friends Sam and Shane. In 2014 the three of them take to a trail winding around at the base of a volcano in New Zealand. As they travel on a trail, the air gets foggy as they 'framp' into the bush where animals abound. But suddenly as they pass through the mist, they find themselves in a different time zone, 1863, where they discover their long-gone ancestors. The
Anna
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recieved my copy Whispers in the past from Goodreads.I really like this book.
Very interesting,well written,easy to read.So enjoyable!
Tree friends on trip to New Zeland bush going back in time to 1863.Lost and confused all they have to do now is go back to they present.
The story is beautifully written.It contains wonderfull descriptions of New Zeland landcapes and history.
The book also has a really nice cover.
I adore this book,highly recomended to all my friends. ...more
Terry
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Someone should option this book!
I began with book 2, and was instantly gripped with the fresh and *realistic* approach to time travel. Then realising I was on the wrong book, switched to book one. I'm glad I did it that way, or I might have been put off by the self published, not-tightly-edited style. But the book is written in a voice consistent with the characters, and it's NOT stereotypical time travel fantasy. This is worth reading beyond the lack of polish and would seriously make a great
Gary Stephenson
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An intriguing book that starts with three friends planning a month or so long pig hunting trip in the vast mountainous countryside of New Zealand's North Island. They then find themselves transported back in time to the wars between Maori and white settlers. I enjoyed the tempo of the book and the easy to read storyline mixed with history. For the uninitiated in common Maori words and phrases, there is a thoughtful appendix included and a map of old Auckland.
Loretta Bush
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I won this ebook, and really enjoyed it. I don't usually read historical fiction, but this started in the modern day, which was a good start. Really interesting characters, and the relationships to the present day were well done. Was interesting learning of the Maori Wars history, in an entertaining way Had humour as well, which was appreciated. Would definitely recommend it.
Owen Clough
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I lot of folk have just emailed me their reviews, and don't want to be bothered by putting them up on Goodreads or Amazon. So if you are interested in the reviews from this book I have 222 reviews on my site
Kaye
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I finished the book, it was fabulous! and what surprised me was there were 173 reviews on his web page www.owencloughbooks.com a great effort for a great story. The first in a trilogy now I'm waiting for the next book.
Kathryn Koopmanschap
I enjoyed the different take on Nz history. Brought to life with our folk going back, our current filter on that time.
Donna Bresnak
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received this book for free from goodreads for a review.
I am sorry to say I did not enjoy the book at all. it was a struggle to finish it, but I did, hoping it would improve. I liked the premise of a group of men going back in time, of experiencing New Zealand history which included meeting some of their own relatives. the idea was creative.

the book was written in first person, which is hard to sustain and remain interesting. the descriptions were flat, supplied without backu
Roger Lang
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book gives a fun account of New Zealand history. Love the book and the journey it takes us on through time.
Vivienne Blake
rated it it was ok
Feb 22, 2016
John Wood
Jul 09, 2017
S Taylor
Mar 08, 2016
Michelle
rated it did not like it
Jul 19, 2017
Donna
Apr 08, 2016
Leonie A'Court
Sep 27, 2018
Leaving school at the age of fourteen, Owen travelled around New Zealand on a working holiday. Then at the age of seventeen joined the Royal New Zealand Airforce, where he spent eleven years on different bases including a time overseas.

He married his wife Kaye at twenty and they are still together today. Over the years he's had various jobs from driving the big red buses in Christchur