Start by marking “Once A Gambler: The Escape” as Want to Read:
Once A Gambler: The Escape

Once A Gambler: The Escape

Miikka Anttonen started gambling when he was ten years old, when most kids were playing with Pokemon cards and PlayStations. Throughout his teens, he spent long nights at the library analyzing sports betting odds, resulting in many large wins - but on the flip side, his "hobby" also led him to drop out of high school. The Escape is a journal of those early days discovering ...more
Published February 12th 2016 by Restless Frog (first published February 11th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Once A Gambler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once A Gambler

Jairo Hz
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely Loved it! Worth reading once or twice...maybe more
Arty
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I finished reading this a couple of weeks ago and I enjoyed it immensely. I thought the author's use of the present tense was an interesting stylistic choice, as it added a charming naivety to proceedings, as it gave the memoir the flavour of a teenager's confessional journal.
The story arc is that of a coming of age novel, and the shortish chapters allow the action to unfold at just the right pace to keep the reader going back for more. Like some sort of Boy's Own adventure, it prosaically tells
Todd Akira Morikawa
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Miikka Anttonen started gambling when he was ten years old, when most kids were playing with Pokemon cards and PlayStations. Throughout his teens he spent long nights at the library analyzing sports betting odds, resulting in many large wins - but on the flip side, his hobby also had him drop out of high school. When he turns 20, Miikka discovers online poker. From awkward prom memories to winning $100,000 in a single night, from sleeping on park benches and abandoned houses penniless to gamblin ...more
Martin Von Zweigbergk
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Late last night I finished reading part 1 of Once A Gambler: The Escape. I must give it to you Miikka “Interpol” Anttonen, you write a very capitative story of your early life. I believe you really describe the feeling of a non-belonging that a lot of young kids feels today.

You also, capture all the elements of compulsive gambling, the scary side of the game, degenerates like me and many other do recognise a lot of the decisions you made in your life, luckily things usually always end up good.

T
Sami
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very special and unique book about the life of a young Finnish poker player. I do not know the author personally but I have enjoyed his writings in the Internet. So I decided to buy the book from Amazon. It is a fascinating book that you can't stop reading. Opened my eyes to many things: gambling addiction, what it is like not succeeding at high school and working in low-paid jobs such as McDonalds. At the same time very positive and inspiring book about travelling and the beauty of new experien ...more
Ilana
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As someone with extremely limited poker experience, I wasn't sure if I would like a book written by a professional poker player about his life -- but I was hooked within pages and it kept me engaged for the entire couple of days that I was reading it. It's remarkably open and honest, and despite the author's young age, you can tell that he's really experienced a lot - and learned from it. It's truly a glimpse into a different world. Highly recommended, can't wait for the next part!
Jeffrey T
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read the book in five hours, couldn't put it down despite already knowing quite a bit of the story from Miikka's earlier blogs. It's a captivating read. My only complaint is the slight lack of poker action, I thought there would be more, but I assume the future parts will be full of it!
Blake Ian Burke
Addicting read

Couldn't put the book down. Took you on the highs and the lows of a poker players career, gives a good prospective.
Pieter
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a little bit biased because I know Miikka personally, but this really is a great story and really well written. Highly recommended to all gambling buffs out there!
TurnT
Oct 23, 2016
Søren Jensen
Nov 17, 2016
Janis
rated it did not like it
Feb 17, 2016