Start by marking “Punk 57” as Want to Read:
Punk 57

Punk 57

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  17,290 Ratings  ·  2,084 Reviews
“We were perfect together. Until we met.”

Misha

I can’t help but smile at the words in her letter. She misses me.

In fifth grade, my teacher set us up with pen pals from a different school. Thinking I was a girl, with a name like Misha, the other teacher paired me up with her student, Ryen. My teacher, believing Ryen was a boy like me, agreed.

It didn’t take long for us to fig
371 pages
Published October 21st 2016

Penelope Douglas
Feb 15, 2016 marked it as finished-writing  ·  (Review from the author)

Chapter 1 Excerpt!!-Unedited

The heroine is at a warehouse party where they're having a scavenger hunt to raise money for a local band's summer tour. She finds herself face to face with Misha, who she's trying to ask to help her complete tasks for the hunt. But she doesn't know who he is. The boy she's been writing since she was eleven but never met. He knows it's her, though, since he recognized her name on the event check-ins on Facebook <3

Misha

I look at Ryen, both of us locked in an awkward
Val ⚓️ ShamelessBitchySKANKY ⚓️ Steamy Reads
4 Stars

I haven't been in a reviewing mood lately.

I have had a lot going on at home and at work...plus I think I have an ear infection that I have been assuming was a headache or something else for a while now.

For some reason - I blame the blonde - I had it in my head that only kids got ear infections.

description

Being that I had ear infections on the frequent regular as a youngling - and had tubes in my ear twice - you would think this option wold have occurred to me much sooner.

Oh well.

Maybe I'll get s
Cristina | CristiinaReads
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, arc-books
➳My mind is blown away... My emotions are running everywhere... My body is reacting with tingling feelings... But most of all, my knowledge is well aware that Penelope Douglas is the true definition of THE best NA/Romance author!

➳Penelope Douglas starts of this wonderful story with an even more wonderful prologue. It hooked me for sure! Penelope has this odd/dark/mysterious sense of writing that its rather unique and admirable because you do not read books like these in the New Adult/Romance c
Jodi Bibliophile
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
 photo 26F9C54A-972F-49B7-9E84-29BB6E3882C1_zpsqodk1hx4.png

I don’t quite know how to start off with this review.

Simply because I’ve never quite read a fucking book like this one.

That’s Penelope Douglas for you, that woman is in a league all on her own.

I didn’t just love it, I FUCKING LOVED IT!

Not gonna lie I had no fucking clue what this book was about, all I knew is that Penelope Douglas wrote it and that’s all I needed to know. So I went in completely fucking blind and was opened up something very fucking powerful.

This story is POWERFUL and it sends
Candace
Please check out more of my reviews at www.bookaddicthaven.com

This was one of those over-the-top high school stories that I could not put down. 'Punk 57' is my latest guilty pleasure. I enjoyed every implausible, melodramatic moment!

Misha Lare and Ryen Trevarrow have been pen-pals for years, ever since their teachers mistakenly thought they were the same gender in elementary school and assigned them as pen-pals for a class project. They've been writing to one another ever since. Over the years,
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
5 STARS

We were perfect together. Until we met.”

Ever since I read Bully, I became an instant Penelope Douglas fan. The woman speaks right to my inner angst junky. It certainly doesn't hurt matters that she also manages to create the perfect alphahole heroes in every book I read by her. Having loved her Falling Away series and all the others as well, to say that this book is right up there with Bully for me is a lot. Because Bully continues to be one of my top favorites by her. But there was a
Jennifer Kyle
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
4.5 Stars

description

Penelope Douglas delivers an extremely pertinent story that if she clipped down the sex scenes which are very graphic and over the top, this story would surely do well with the teen crowd. The message is brilliant and the story worth reading and so relevant to the struggles teens face today with bullying and losing your identity to fit in.

My favorite quote of the story is:

”This is a big ass world, and when we leave our small towns, we’re going to find our tribe. If we don’t stay true
Patty Belongs To Kellan~Jesse~Lautner~Miller~Jack~Racer~Rafe~Liam~Prince Nicholas~Hayes~Gianluca & Archer
*****4.5 STARS*****
{ARC Generously Provided by Author}
(BR w/Mel)

photo b567d4bb40b32fbc065b015b1052a5e0_zpsbb98ujis.jpg

There’s one thing I have come to know about Penelope Douglas and that is she can deliver teen angst like no other. I loved BULLY when I read it several years ago and Punk 57 definitely has the same flavor as that book. I felt like I was thrown back into High School, feeling all the same insecurities over how I was being perceived by my peers and also crushing on that one mysterious and hot bad boy that all the girls had their eyes
Pearl Angeli
5 Stars!

Rarely have I read a book as raw and amazing as this one. Punk 57 was quite possibly one of the best books that I have read this year. Such well-constructed storyline. Such real characters that are flawed yet redeemable. Such unique plot twist. It's packed full of everything. HATS OFF, PENELOPE DOUGLAS!

"Do you notice that, too? How all of us just want to get through life as quickly and easily as possible? And even though we know that without risk there's no reward, we're still so scare
Ramona
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I recently read an interview with Penelope in which she told the readers that her writing and creative process are slow, but the result will be worthy. Believe me, she was right:) I've read Corrupt last year and after that book I waited for her next one like air, wondering what will her new story be.
Punk 57 is an amazing book with a strong message. I always focused on the book's message, even when the story is not very satisfying for me. But in this case, nothing went wrong, everything was flawl
Arabella ~♡AB♡~
★★★★★ 5 Stars ★★★★★

OMG I LOVED! LOVED. There were so many important messages in this book, I thought it was such a perfect example of how difficult it is, especially in the current social climate, what with Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat being such a huge part of young people's lives, for kids to grow up to be accepting of themselves, and learn that unless you can enjoy your own company and be the person you want to be, you will never truly be happy. Bullies are everywhere and it's so difficu
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
LIVE AMAZON http://amzn.to/2dFUtwI

5 Brilliant stars

"They'll never matter to us,Ryen.
No one knows how this feels."

Wow I'm speechless this was fantastic!!I loved every minute of Punk 57!!! I don't think I'll forget this story!! Intense,unique,super hot like no other book and compelling!!!

description

Misha and Ryen were two perplexed characters who fitted perfectly together.They were like two pieces of a puzzle.Each of them has something that the other needed!They were full of tension,angst and passion.

"I
Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️
⭐⭐⭐⭐4 STARS⭐⭐⭐⭐

So......ok......I wasn't aware that the story was based on 18 year olds in high school. If I did, nine times out of 10 times I would not have read it. I can do college stories, no problem, but high school...IDK.

I have my reasons for it but my main one is that I love, love, love my "book boyfriends" and there is no way I can have a high school book boyfriend. That's just creepy....I'm too old for that.

....but Misha turned out to be so freaking awesome. He surprised me that's for su
Kristen
4–Thought Provoking–Stars

description

Punk 57 is a well written, thought provoking and mostly realistic portrayal of the pressure that many adolescents face to socially fit in.

This book would have easily been a 5 star read for me if it wasn't for the sex scenes that felt more like they belonged in an adult erotic romance (with 30 year old characters) than in a story that's main focus is high school teens. For me, the unrealistic sex scenes distracted from the important and poignant message the author was tr
Melanie
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melanie by: Jessica
“Alone, Empty, Fraud, Shame, Fear”

Punk 57 is such a unique romance between two people who have only ever known each other as pen pals. Both of our main protagonists, Misha and Ryen, have gender neutral names, which caused them to be paired together, from different schools, seven years ago. Now they are both eighteen, and have both agreed never to add or look up each other on any form of social media or no exchanging numbers, but they continue to write letters and have no plans of quitting.

U
Stacey is Sassy
description

A story without fault…just not right for me.

***3.5 Stars***

I hated high school. I know a lot of people say that but I REALLY MEAN IT!! My fondest memory from high school was walking out and knowing I NEVER had to come back. I remember one good teacher. Mrs Mac treated us like adults, never talked down to us and always made us feel like our opinions mattered. I don't remember much else, but maybe I just blanked out the rest. So, what made me sign-up to read and review PUNK 57, a high school roman
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, romance
Find me on Instagram & Twitter!
❝We're all ugly, Ryen. The only difference is, some hide it and some wear it.❞

THIS. WAS. SO. GOOD. This might be my first 5 star rating on a romance book in a LONG, LONG TIME. Maybe even the first of this year, and I just can't get over how great it was. If you asked me one year ago, I would've told you that I probably would never put my hands on another Penelope Douglas book after DNF-ing Corrupt so this FIVE STAR rating is a huge deal. I can't even begin
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars

“We were perfect for each other. Until we met.”

Misha and Ryen have been pen pals since they were kids, being paired up by accident as Ryen is a boyish name and the teachers made a mistake. Over the years the two keep in touch, becoming essential to one another. But they made rules, no cell phones, no Facebook and no meeting. When Misha randomly attends a party and realizes Ryen is there, he doesn’t find what he expected.

What happens when you love someone, and then are disappointed w
Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦
*****5 Stars*****

description

“We were perfect together. Until we met.”

I absolutely loved “Punk 57,” but having said that I found it an incredibly hard story to read. This story really draws attention to the raw and ugly side of high school; the importance of fitting in and being popular even if that means being someone you’re not. This is not the first book I have read by Penelope Douglas and I absolutely love her story telling. She sure knows how to deliver teen angst that packs a punch.

Misha and Ryen h
Katy Evans
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Few people know how to write edgy, feely, completely unique stories the way Penelope Douglas does! I fell in love with her writing like most of you did, with BULLY. From then on, there's nothing she has written that I haven't loved. But PUNK 57? I have to say it's my absolute favorite one of hers so far! I could NOT put it down. I could, in fact, barely breathe as I flipped pages in a mad dash for this very unique, realistic, flawed and at the same time, brilliantly-perfect-for-each-other duo en ...more
Sophia Triad
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
True story: Two years ago a friend of my family died. He was a really good kid, 18 years old, very good student who has just been accepted in university, good athlete who has never taken drugs. He played for a local good basketball team and one day he collapsed during a match and he died for no particular reason.
His family after the funeral stayed with relatives for more than 6 months.
Nowadays, 2 years after, his parents are still visiting his grave at the cemetery every afternoon having there
NiCoLeTa E.
***5 "Love the way you lie!" stars***

“Fifty-seven times I didn’t call,
Fifty-seven letters I didn’t send,
Fifty-seven stitches to breathe again,
and then I fucking pretend.”

For once again, Penelope Douglas made it!!!! She captivated me AND with this story and God, I'm not having enough of her work!!!! I need more and more and more...

I loved every single thing inside this book and i got hooked on from the first page till the last one...
I'm enjoying very much the heroes that Mrs. Douglas are b
Christy
4 stars!

I really loved this one! I listened to the audio and it was fantastic xoxox
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»

RATING: 4.5 “Love the way you lie” Hearts

Punk 57 is written in true Penelope Douglas fashion, its entertainment value shining through in all its angst-filled and seductive glory, making us hot-and-bothered on more than one occasion, yet leaving us smiling and content.

“We’re all ugly, Ryen. The only difference is, some hide it and some wear it.”

Ryen is a heroine who is a bit of a challenge, her likability initially cloaked in uncertainty due to her popular-girl façade and disregard for the
Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥
Punk 57 is a story about two high school seniors, Ryen and Misha, that have been friends since they were paired as pen pals by their teachers in the fifth grade. Although they only live one town away from each other, they agreed not to connect on social media or meet in person. Ryen was afraid that it would ruin what they had, which was something precious to both of them. Through their letters they had become best friends, and each other’s primary support system.

Everything changes the night Ryen
Sabrina
“You’re my favorite place.”

I'm not a fan of the Young Adult genre unless it's fantasy but after seeing so many raving reviews about Punk 57 I couldn't pass it up. I can't say it's my favorite Penelope Douglas book, but I really enjoyed it so I'm happy I gave it a chance.

What I liked:

The connection Ryen and Misha had was incredible and it was evident from the very first letter we read from them. Even when they were around each other but Ryen didn't know Misha was her pen pal they had an un
Bibi
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Penelope Douglas can write. Captivatingly. Otherwise, I wouldn't have knowingly immersed myself in a story that I- ignorantly- labeled, #dramallama #TravisMaddoxWannabe. Sorry, Penelope!

I've had a negative relationship with most YA/NA books and my theory is that the YA genre is all cookie-cutter-copy-and-paste. Douglas burned that bias. To a crisp! I, all of a sudden, could sympathize with these teenagers. Because Douglas made me feel their pain; the peer pressure; the need to not be the butt o
warhawke
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Rebellious spirit

Genre: NA Contemporary Romance
Type: Standalone
POV: First Person - Dual
Rating:

Misha Lare and Ryen Trevarrow has been friends since a case of mistaken identity during their fifth grade penpall assignment. Seven years passed since then but their friendship endured even without ever seeing each others. But thier bond was threatened when reality didn't matched with what was written.

I basically had no idea what the story was supposed to be about before reading this book. It turned out to be a lot yo
Beverly
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Penelope Douglas books, I do, but this book it just consumed me. So a little background, I have something pretty huge going on in my life right now and it has also consumed me. BUT when I was reading this book I was completely distracted and I didn’t think about my big thing I thought about this book. There is no greater compliment you can give a book than to say it provided a real escape for you and Punk 57 absolutely did.

Misha and Ryen are assigned as pen pals in the fifth grade and ov
Jenny
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
 photo 3C63B625-AB80-446B-932A-6D82B856ABE2_zpsjdoqs0vb.jpeg

Ahhh this book.... Gosh this book hits you literally square in the gut with its angst and emotions throughout the entire book. Based on a senior in high school timeframe, this story is packed with a strong provoking message for the youths in today's world. The struggle to be the most popular student/kid in school captures the essence of every high school drama. Right?!? It's sad, yet so very true.

I absolutely loved the backing of this relationship. Penpals since 5th grade, a town apart, agreed
Unapologetic Roma...: Douglas, Penelope // Punk 57 70 63 May 01, 2017 10:42AM
Turning Pages At ...: Punk 57 by Penelope Douglas 6 29 Dec 13, 2016 12:14PM
  • Bright Midnight
  • Screwmates
  • Rookie Move (Brooklyn Bruisers, #1)
  • Infini (Aerial Ethereal, #2)
  • Royally Screwed (Royally, #1)
  • The One Real Thing (Hart's Boardwalk, #1)
  • Split
  • Unsuitable
  • Change of Heart (Fostering Love, #2)
  • Harley & Rose
  • The Hot Shot (Game On, #4)
  • Furious Rush (Furious Rush, #1)
  • Roman Crazy
  • The Cad and the Co-Ed (Rugby, #3)
  • Four Letter Word (Dirty Deeds, #1)
  • Anti-Stepbrother
  • Until Harry
  • The Deep End (Honey, #1)
Penelope Douglas is a full-time writer living in Las Vegas with her husband and their daughter. When she's not writing or reading, she loves road-tripping, touring retired, old ships, and pinning anything not nailed down.

Her books include the Fall Away series (Bully, Until You, Rival, Falling Away, Aflame, and Next to Never). Please look for her recent stand-alones, Corrupt, Misconduct, and Punk
More about Penelope Douglas...

“We’re all ugly, Ryen. The only difference is, some hide it and some wear it.” 73 likes
“Alone, Empty, Fraud, Shame, Fear,
Close your eyes.There is nothing to see out here.”
41 likes