Start by marking “Bold (Kris Longknife, #14)” as Want to Read:
Bold (Kris Longknife, #14)

Bold

(Kris Longknife #14)

Kris Longknife “can kick, shoot, and punch her way out of any dangerous situation,”* and her latest adventure in the New York Times bestelling series is as perilous as they come...

Despite her role as a fleet Admiral and protector of a planetary system, Kris is still beholden to her great grandfather King Raymond’s commands. She has been personally selected for a missio
Published October 25th 2016 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Bold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bold

Jean
I was beginning to think that Shepherd had given up on the series; but, alas a new book has finally come out.

Kris and Jack are now married and they have a new baby girl named Ruth. They have returned home and King Ray has a new assignment for Kris. As we know from prior books, the Peterwald Empire is in a civil war. Emperor Peterwald has asked for mediation between Vicky and himself. He has asked for Kris to be the mediator. Of course, the evil stepmother is still attempting to kill Vicky and ta
Dan
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Another in this really good series.
Hilary
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kris now manages to juggle the hats of princess, admiral, wife and mother with a certain amount of ease, but it doesn't mean she likes being ordered around or set up as a target and somehow she must negotiate a peaceful agreement between Imperial family members without killing any of them. It could be tricky...

It's filled with very personable central characters with realistic attitudes and problems, from Kris and Jack learning how to be a partnership in marriage as well as work to Vicky's family
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
I wondered if Mike Shepherd was going to get his two female main characters together. For those of you who are following the Kris Longknife series you know that Vicky Petersburg has her own spin-off series. The two have been enemies but on their last meeting they called a truce. Vicky has undergone a big change and is working for the good of others instead of herself. Now Kris has been called to mediate between Vicky and her father. There is someone who does not what that to happen and both wome ...more
Cfabrication
I like the characters in this series. But, this book felt as if it was dictated fast and neither edited nor proofread.

Kris is described as having a "fey" or "fay" smile 4 times. Since my dictionary defines fey as "giving an impression of vague unworldliness", I take issue with its being used once, let alone 4 times.

People alternately "make do" and "make due". Again, it's overused.

The breastfeeding focus makes her breasts sound a bit like juice packs. They don't really get "drained" or "emptie
Nancy
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This latest installment in the Kris Longknife series finds Her Royal Highness Admiral Kris Longknife called upon to mediate a dispute between the rulers of Greenfeld. Kris heads their way with a squadron of frigates. These ships may look puny compared to Greenfeld’s battle fleet, but they pack a bigger punch. Kris finds it more difficult to be diplomatic than to fight the enemy. Nonetheless, she uses her skills in the boardroom as well as on the battlefield to ferret out the truth and restore th ...more
Hilary
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Tokies
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably my favorite cover. I think one of the biggest drawbacks to this author is romance. It's not fun to read this authors romance you almost want to cringe at the cornball level. great ship battles, great fighting great action scenes. The problem is the way he writes woman is randomly catty. Things like breast size and stuff like that. I'm not sure what other women think about things. Personally, I'm not itty bitty in the titty. I do better than my fair share. At the same time, i alw ...more
Laz the Sailor
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
After all these years, you'd think everyone in the universe would know that you don't piss off Kris Longknife. But a deranged Empress does the one thing that will cause Kris to let loose her fury, unrestrained.

Kris has returned to her own galaxy to rest and care for her newborn daughter. She promptly gets tapped to assist her longtime nemesis and recent friend Vicky P to smooth over some political troubles over in the Greenfield Empire. How hard could that be? Sure, bring the baby.

It was nice to
Tim
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fastest read of the year.

At times this read like an end-of-series winding down, and I do hope there's more (although somehow I can't imagine Kris Longknife: Sainsbury's lasting much longer than the first assassination attempt. So . . . about a day then.)

Sigh, a year to wait. Come on Mike, write faster!!
Roger
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reasons I love the Kris Longknife books: Kris is a really strong woman who does not require a lot of rescuing. She is smart, tough, and a good person without being some perfect angel. Even though these novels are a bit formulaic this is a formula I like, as I enjoy a good space opera. I enjoy watching Kris adapt to change and succeed. Under no circumstances should you read these novels out of order-it is one of the perils of series fiction but for maximum enjoyment you need to start these at the ...more
Hali Sowle
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great book in the Kris Longknife series. This time instead of murderous aliens Kris has to face something even more terrifying - trying to broker a peace treaty between Vicky Peterwald and her father and his wife. It seems that in the time that Kris has been on the far side of the galaxy, fighting aliens, discovering new species and having a baby Vicky has gotten tired of the Empress trying to murder her and left for another part of the Greenfeld empire, and in the process she has also g ...more
David Brawley
Nov 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Like all of Mike Shepherd's books, I devoured this one. He's got a writing style that just sucks you in. And while I usually enjoy his cliffhanger endings where Kris pulls off something amazing, only to have something crazy happen right at the end, this one has Kris do something... pretty spectacularly unimpressive, and it fell flat for me.

I was also disappointed in the character of the Empress. Or really, the lack of character. It wasn't even that she was flat, it's that she barely rose to the
Glen
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Things are definitely looking up. Tedious battle descriptions have been replaced by tales of intrigue and human interactions. The battles are still there, but short and to the point. Trust this author to be able to make family life interesting in a science fiction novel about galactic warfare. As a story line, for a while it looked like interesting ideas for Kris were running out in this series. Thanks for breathing new life into her!
GaiusPrimus
It's an entertaining book. The last hundred or so pages kept me awake for a while as I finished reading the book, but at about halfway through it I kept thinking that there wouldn't be enough pages to finish the story.

Needless to say, the "conflict" is resolved very very quickly and the normal space battle scenes are just paragraphs.
Simon
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kris-longknife
Recent Reads: Kris Longknife Bold. The Ace-published arc of Mike Shepherd's milSF comes to an end with book 14. Back home, Kris is asked to negotiate an end to the schisms in the rival polity of Greenfeld. Diplomacy sometimes needs encouragement, fleet action style. The End.
Freyja
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one starts with Kris & Jack with their baby Ruth. They take her around to various family members and then Kris gets hit with a job by Mac: mediate between the Emperor and the Grand Duchess (and the Empress). It gets ugly. Honestly, what was the Empress thinking?
D J Roberts
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good space opera

Another ripping yarn from Longknife universe. Continuing adventures of KL following her time away on Alwa station. Probably worth reading some the Vicky Peterwald novels first.
Deborah Ross
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fans of military science fiction will enjoy the continuing adventures of Kris Longknife. Those new to the series, however, will find this a difficult introduction point, laden with many characters and backstory. Definitely not a stand-alone.
Barksdale Hales
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good read

This is a great continuing series that I can't recommend strongly enough for those who like space opera . Read it you will like it.
Andrew Anderson
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Would recommend

Loved it. Could not put it down. Would recommend the whole series to every sci-fi fan. If you have not read the rest go back and start at the beginning.
Jackie
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like reading the Kris Longknife series. The books keep me on the edge of my seat.
Brian
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-by-me
Another terrific book. Ms Longknife proves she is always on her toes and ready for anything!
Michel Sizaire
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found myself chuckling quite often while reading the novel.
Joe
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She can fight, she can deal and yeah and all with a new baby under her arm.
Forget Aliens. Human space has problems all their own.

No big space battles. Just enough policical ones.
Scott Wray
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kris fix

Glad to get my Kris fix. The only problem? It wasn't long enough. Can't wait for the next one.
May have to go back and reread.
John
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
While I appreciate the many, many references to breastfeeding and diaper replacement in this episode as an effort to inject verisimilitude, they don't really advance the story--and the climactic battle is about as anticlimactic as it gets. C'mon, Mike-- more fighting next time, less motherhood!

Choice lines:

"Are you telling me that my exercise regime of jumping to conclusions and running away from my problems isn’t restoring me to my svelte, prebaby, girlish figure?”

“Sorry, Vicky, but I’m fresh
Robin
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Once again, Kris kicks butt and takes names. This time she has to take on the galaxy's most evil stepmother.
T J
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kris Longknife is back home and her king has a new mission and it will take all of her wits and courage to accomplish it. One exciting read.
Brett Thomasson
In 2004, Mike Moscoe adopted the pen name Mike Shepherd and moved ahead a couple of generations in his "Society of Humanity" universe to start writing the adventures of Kris Longknife, a very young officer in her planet's Navy with a long family tradition of trouble, guts and glory. With 2016's Kris Longknife: Bold, Moscoe/Shepherd winds up the first main arc of Kris's life as he brings her to the negotiating table of her family's deadliest enemies.

Vicky Peterwald and her father, the Emperor of
  • They Also Serve (Jump Universe, #3)
  • An Ancient Peace (Peacekeeper, #1; Confederation, #6)
  • Hardship (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #4)
  • Death's Bright Day (Lt. Leary, #11)
  • The Ninth Circle (Tour of the Merrimack, #5)
  • Operation Oracle (Merkiaari Wars, #3)
  • The Clone Empire (Rogue Clone, #6)
  • Privateer (Alexis Carew #5)
  • The Serrano Succession (The Serrano Legacy, #6-7)
  • Neogenesis (Liaden Universe, #21)
  • Beginnings (Worlds of Honor, #6)
  • Carnelians (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #14)
  • The Path of Duty (Siobhan Dunmoore Book 2)
  • Duchess of Terra (Duchy of Terra, #2)
A pseudonym used by Mike Moscoe.

Mike was born in the Philadelphia Navy Yard Hospital -- and left that town at the age of three days for reasons he does not presently recall. But they had to draft him to get him back there. He missed very little of the rest of the country. Growing up Navy, he lived about everywhere you could park an aircraft carrier.

Mike was one of those college students who didn'

Kris Longknife (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Mutineer (Kris Longknife, #1)
  • Deserter (Kris Longknife, #2)
  • Defiant (Kris Longknife, #3)
  • Resolute (Kris Longknife, #4)
  • Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5)
  • Intrepid (Kris Longknife, #6)
  • Undaunted (Kris Longknife, #7)
  • Redoubtable (Kris Longknife, #8)
  • Daring (Kris Longknife, #9)
  • Furious (Kris Longknife, #10)