Start by marking “Bottled” as Want to Read:
Bottled

Bottled

At seventeen, Adeelah Naji is transformed into a genie and imprisoned in a bottle. For a thousand years, she fulfills the wishes of greedy masters—building their palaces, lining their pockets with gold, and granting them every earthly pleasure. All that sustains her is the hope of finding Karim, the boy she fell in love with as a human. When at last she finds a note from h ...more
Published July 7th 2016 by Clean Reads

To ask other readers questions about Bottled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bottled

Dianne
One thousand years ago, in a land far from here two teens fell in love, but Karim’s father, selfish, vile and greedy used dark magic to entrap the beautiful Adeelah into becoming a genie, for eternity with himself as her master. Faruq desired to live for eternity, with all of the wealth that would entail and bound by the spell, and the nature of being a genie, Adeelah must obey by creating the elixir of life.

As centuries pass, she serves several masters until the day seventeen-year-old Nathan ac
Brenda
Seventeen year old Adeelah Naji fell in love with Karim when he saved her life while the rest of her family was murdered – but Karim’s father had no time for her and was jealous of the love Karim showed Adeelah. Summonsing an evil djinn, Faruq enticed a naïve Adeelah to drink an elixir – suddenly she was imprisoned in a bottle with Karim’s father as her master.

As the years and centuries passed, Adeelah knew many masters – the wishes were varied but mostly they wanted wealth and grand homes; and
Carol Riggs
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I used to watch "I Dream of Jeannie" all the time as a young girl (yes, I am that old), along with "Bewitched." I loved those shows! Except I have to admit sometimes Jeannie drove me NUTS with all the torturous scrapes and tangles she got her master into.

This novel is a more serious tribute to the enchantment of this show. Unlike Jeannie, however, my genie has limited powers; she isn't able to use her abilities to reach her own goals. As one of my taglines says: "A genie's wishes don't count."
Tamara
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC copy from the author in an exchange for an honest review.

This book was so refreshing!

I'm not an expert on genie books, even though I have read a few, but this book was beautiful. Arabian Knights would approve of Carol Riggs' Bottled!

Adeelah (a lovely name) was enslaved to a bottle by her lover's father. For almost a thousand years, Adeelah is tossed between new master to new master, while also sleeping in between trying to figure out how to get back to Karim.

But Kar
Rachel Morgan
Adeelah's adventure swept me along, keeping me turning the pages of this beautifully written tale of magic wishes, evil masters, lovable characters, and sweet romance. Other than the inventive descriptions, what I enjoyed most in this story was probably all the moments in which Adeelah's culture and experience of the distant past clashed so hilariously with modern day technology, sayings, architecture, food and more. Her interactions with Nathan and her new twenty-first century friends had me ch ...more
Derik
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely amazing! I couldn't put this book down and finished it in 2 days. The story and characters are charming and unique. I really enjoyed how the author convey's the thoughts of the main character, Adeelah, as she experiences life as a genie and all of it's problems and limitations. The character of Nathan is very charming and his relationship with Adeelah is magical. I couldn't help myself to smile throughout so many moments in this book and especially the ending.

I received
Julie Fugate
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wish for a great book and here you go!

I really enjoyed the main character, Adeelah, who becomes trapped into service as a Genie at the young age of 17. For centuries, she's had to deal with greedy masters, until she meets kind and generous Nathan. You'd think they were a match made in heaven except being a Genie is complicated. She's being pursued by a previous evil and immortal master who'd kill anyone who gets in his way. She's in love with another guy from her past who is also immortal. Plus
Alicia Huxtable
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
To be honest I've never read genies before so I have nothing to compare this too but I do know that I loved the writing style and the characters in Bottled. Kept me reading and guessing right through the book
Megan
This was a fun read. There were some similarites to the TV show I Dream of Jeannie, but there were definitely some drastic differences - such as not being allowed to leave her bottle unless summoned (as well as several others). I liked both main characters, a lot. Bottled is a book I'd recommend to any fan of genie/djinn novels.

Marla
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fun book. What happens when you are turned into a genie with unlimited wishes and live for 1,000 years while you try to find your true love. Adeelah has been trapped by her true love Karim's evil and jealous father. While going from master to master she tries to search for Karim. She eventually falls into the hands of Nathan, a 17-year-old boy who is more worried about helping others than wanting wishes for wealth and big houses. He isn't greedy at all. There is some danger in here an ...more
Lora Palmer
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of receiving a copy of BOTTLED by Carol Riggs from the author in exchange for an honest review.

BOTTLED is a lush fantasy about a young woman named Adeelah, who was turned into a genie long ago when a wicked man tricked her into drinking a potion. Forced to grant endless wishes to selfish, sometimes cruel, masters, Adeelah seeks to reunite with the man she loves. As she passes from master to master, she must also evade the man who caused her to become a genie, for he still seek
Lynndell
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Clean Reads for the opportunity to read and honestly review Bottled by Carol Riggs! This fantasy story involves a woman trapped in a spell, cast by a djinn, who serves her changing masters over the centuries. A traditional story with a female protagonist, a horrible villain, romance and suspense. This is a clean read book and enjoyable!
Carl Schierhorn
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Bottled is a nice retelling of Aladdin in very Young Adult fantasy style.

The genie is a 17-year-old girl – well, actually a 1,000-year-old girl whose physical age was frozen when she was tricked into becoming a magical being.

(It seems that 70 percent of YA protagonists are 17-year-old girls. But Adeelah is a nice one – imperfect, vulnerable with strength. She’s a person you’re happy to have met.)

The plot is built around a love
Julie
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nook-book
This story is written in first person narrative from the point of view of Adeelah, the 1000-year-old genie. I dislike most books written in the 1st person because the story tends to be simplistic and shallow. Such is the case with Bottled and the reason for my 2 1/2 star rating.

The beginning of the book gives a brief retelling of how Adeelah met Karim, the young man she loves. The story begins in 1977, when Adeelah gets a new master after being without one for 300 years. The story quickly progre
Michael Di Gesu
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of reading the ARC of this story given to me by the author. I have read MANY YA and MG books over the years. I usually enjoy anything with a magical theme, and I particularly enjoyed BOTTLED. First of all, the author takes us on an unpredictable adventure through time, covering several centuries. Adeelah is not your normal Jeanie, and that is what makes this story different from other Arabian tales.

With well developed and extremely likable characters, the reader roots for Ade
Karla
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, arc, magic
I'm not going to rehash the summary in this review because I feel like if you're here, you're already aware of the book. I would say that I did very much enjoy this story. I worried going in that this was going to be an attempt at a retelling (of Aladdin I suppose) but no fear there. I really enjoyed the backstory behind the genies vs. djinn and how everything played out. And I think the characters, particularly Adeelah and Nathan, were good together, I could pretty easily picture them in my hea ...more
Maria Guglielmo
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
A nice and readable Jinn story, this YA novel focuses on a young woman from a nomadic family in "Arabia" who is forced to become a Jinn-like being with the power to grant wishes. The writing was solid and the character likable, but I found myself frustrated by the lack of significant worldbuilding and the absence of any sort of cultural connection to the Middle East culture this book appropriates. The depiction of some African minor characters were unsettling, and the middle and ending had less ...more
L.K. Kuhl
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bottled was a pleasingly cute story about a genie named Adeelah. I always loved the shows, I Dream of Jeanie and Bewitched and this story fit right into that niche that I love. Author Riggs told a very picturesque story and I could imagine myself being right along side Adeelah in all of her adventures. This will be a great read for all teenagers and readers young and old and I highly recommend it to everyone!! I was given a free copy of BOTTLED in exchange for a review.
Hope
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
First Impression: I haven't read a genie story in a very long time - plus that cover looks magical!

Characters: Clean YA romance themes throughout with a touch of magic. Adeelah is a genie trapped by a sort of magic curse. After centuries of spoiled "masters", she finds one who will change her world. What is most important is the characters each grow and evolve throughout the story, making them come to life.

World Building: Everything was plausible, if yet fantastic. The background of how Adeelah
Amy McK
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Adeelah is a 1000 year old genie who finds herself in the hands of a teenage boy who manages to become her master. her heart is already sworn to the love of her life, Karim. He manages to drink an elixir that prolongs his life and he's searching for her. Luckily, Adeelah manages to have a very considerate and kind master in Nathan, a 17 yr old boy. They go on a chase to find her love, figure out if this chick likes Nathan, flee from her the evil man that originally tricked her into a genie, and ...more
Liz
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a well-written, warm story that I enjoyed. I really like the character Adeelah and found her captivating and interesting. The book has a nice mix of romance, suspense and fun that kept my interest. A good recommend for the YA reader.
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway for this honest review.
Diana Brown
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: younger YA readers
BOTTLED is a fantastic concept that suffers somewhat in the execution. Overall, it's a worthwhile read, but be prepared for some inconsistencies and gaps.

The core concept is captivating and imaginative: The story is told from the point of view of Adeelah, a young girl transformed into a genie, who lives in servitude while hoping for reunion with her lost love.

Adeelah's internal monologue is written in a flowing, archaic cadence that emphasizes her otherness in this modern world. Except when it
Cheryl
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5

I'm surprised I liked this book. It was sort of a modern day retelling of Alladin. I just wish this book had a little more depth.
Sheila Chisholm
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t realize this was a YA book till I was well into it. Pretty good story. It kept me entertained, though it dragged in places
Luisa
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the story. It was fast paced and I cared about the characters.
Maria
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
*I received an ARC from the author in exchange for my honest review.

This was a story of Adeelah, a genie who is trapped forever in her bottle to grant human masters their greedy wishes. She longs to reunite with her love, Karim, and doesn't lose hope as she keeps searching for him even through her servitude to her masters. I loved her spirit.

I admired the protagonist, she was such a strong, spirited character even in hopeless situations. She was not deeply emotional, and still really kind and
Colleen
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful tale and an easy, comfortable read. I've already recommended my 13 year old cousin also read the book.
Reviewer King
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First of all, can I just say how much I love the main character's name?? Adeelah is so beautiful and exquisite, I found myself liking her before even beginning the story.

I have always liked genie tales. They make me giddy with excitement. I'm glad Ms. Riggs portrayed everything masterfully and it lived up to the expectation I'd been having of the book.

The story flowed very nicely and the characters were lusciously created and I felt myself rooting for Adeelah.

I liked Nathan a lot!! He was so ca
Dave Higgins
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Weaving the modernity of teenage romance with the archetypes of the Arabian Nights, Riggs creates a tale that will interest fans of both character and world-building.

Transformed into a genie by an evil sorcerer, Adeelah has spent a thousand years fulfilling the whims of a succession of greedy owners. Only a note from Karim, the boy she loved as a human, saying he has the elixir of life and will never stop searching for her keeps hope alive. However, Faruq, her first master, also seeks her throug
David
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I must disclose up front that I received a free copy of this eBook from the author in return for an honest review, which unfortunately I had said I would complete some weeks ago but I only finished reading it after returning from an all-too-short and all-too-busy holiday.

I have classified the book as "Science Fiction & Fantasy", and I note that Amazon classifies it as:
"Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Fairy Tales & Folklore
Teen & Young Ad
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I'm a writer of Young Adult fiction who lives in the beautiful, green state of Oregon. My sci-fi debut, THE BODY INSTITUTE, explores themes of body image and identity. My other books are BOTTLED, THE LYING PLANET, and Books 1-3 of the JUNCTION 2020 series. I have a Studio Arts degree and I'm a longtime SCBWI member.

You'll usually find me in my writing cave, surrounded by my dragon collection and