Start by marking “The New Rules of Marketing and PR: How to Use News Releases, Blogs, Podcasting, Viral Marketing, & Online Media to Reach Buyers Directly” as Want to Read:

For marketers, The New Rules of Marketing and PR shows you how to leverage the potential that Web-based communication offers your business. Finally, you can speak directly to customers and buyers, establishing a personal link with the people who make your business work. This one-of-a-kind guide includes a step-by-step action plan for harnessing the power of the Internet to ...more
Published June 1st 2007 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about The New Rules of Marketing and PR, please sign up.
Liberty Marketing is to try and sell to your market, and public relations is to relate to the public. They are very similar. Generally, marketing requires…moreMarketing is to try and sell to your market, and public relations is to relate to the public. They are very similar. Generally, marketing requires more data and public relations requires more writing, crisis control, and improving and creating brand images. Advertising/Marketing/Public Relations are all tightly intertwined. (less)

Trang Ngo
May 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Some thoughts while reading:
* I wish that there are some good books on marketing in Vietnamese market. I am very interested in real examples from companies operating in Vietnam.
* The examples in this book are very unfamiliar to me.
* Cultural differences might play a role in the direction of the change in the rules. What is written in the book might be correct in the US market; however, applying the same techniques in Viet Nam might not work. One of the reasons can be that we don't have good V
Diana Bogan
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-life
This book had been on my radar for a very long while and I finally picked up a copy when I decided to interview for PR and marketing jobs. My undergraduate degree is in PR and although my work life began in a PR department over the years I moved through other media positions. So, my intention in reading this book was to refresh and update my knowledge and skill set. This was set, however, with the assumption that my skills were sorely outdated because the words Public Relations or Marketing anyt ...more
Manny
Dec 05, 2010 marked it as to-read
Somehow, despite all my so-called principles, I appear to have ended up in viral marketing. I guess I'd better find out something about it. Just ordered this book. Meanwhile, here's a list of plusses and minuses:

+ I'm only part-time. Consulting a few hours here and there. Heck, I'm not really working in this field at all!

+ It turns out that viral marketers are great guys. They're a pleasure to hang out with. Why does the world always have to be so confusing?

+ Our latest effort, which just went l
Loy Machedo
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loy Machedo’s Book Review: The New Rules of PR and Marketing by David Meerman Scott

There are quite a number of books related to Online Marketing. Some of them cloak themselves with grandiose titles like how they made Millions and you can do it easily, About living the life of their dreams and how they can help you live yours and about some never before shared new Secret Secrets which they will finally share with you. But yeah, they charge you $47 for this kind gesture.

Now the problem is there i
Colleen
2 Stars

This was not exactly a bad book but neither was it helpful. I checked it out because I periodically read business books to stay updated on topics. I did not realize quite how old this book was. It was first published in 2007 which in the grand scheme of things but in things regarding technology nine years is ancient these days.

I also found the author's tone off-putting. He spent a large amount of time talking about his accomplishments and personal experiences. This could have been done to
Charles McEnerney
Jun 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
I have read my fair share of social media books, but I think this one is a good introduction for those who might be overwhelmed by all the terms and technologies that are being bandied about these days. Scott takes you through a good overview of how the media landscape has changed and how marketers (and, really, everyone) needs to shift their game in order to play in that proverbial level playing field we call the Internet.
Rachel Brune
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is immediately going permanently on my professional bookshelf. If you are in any way involved with organization communication in any capacity, I.e. PR, brand journalism, marketing, etc., it should be on yours as well.
Shantanu
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read on Digital Marketing...hundreds of examples...Must read
Blog on Books
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After being wowed by David Meerman Scott at the 2007 Book Expo, we at Blog On Books naturally felt compelled to check out his book, "The New Rules of Marketing and PR." After all, we are a blog, and his book specifically addresses how to put together a successful blog, among other things.

While writing his book, Scott first posted each chapter on his blog, www.webinknow.com, in order to get feedback from his readers. The result of this process is that the finished book is arranged like a blog, w
Andrew Post
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I can't really recommend this book highly enough. Scott lays out the new rules of social media and content marketing clearly, he repeats himself often enough to let it sink in (but not so often that it gets repetitive), and gives clear, contemporary, real-world examples of how the rules work (and how the old rules don't). You may think this book only has significance for marketing coordinators and directors in the corporate world, but oh no: if you have a small business, or a freelance writer st ...more
Bucket
The subtitle says it all: how to use social media, online video, mobile applications, blogs, news releases and viral marketing to reach buyers directly. Scott includes all sorts of up-to-date examples, from a Costa Rican resort website doing an outstanding job providing expert content on the country to Oregon capitalizing on the Super Bowl blackout by posting a relevant image with commentary on Twitter.

The content of this book is very much adapted from his blog, which is good and bad. Good beca
Marc
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-media
This is among the best of the primers on Social Media for marketers and public relations professionals, both. David Meerman Scott is one of the true "thought leaders" in Social Media, today. The goal of this book is to create more thought leaders, willing to challenge the current boundaries of the discipline. Traditional public relations professionals should take special note, as this book is one of the few that I've read that implores PR folks to "drink the (Social Media) Kool Aid", rather than ...more
Steven Howard
May 07, 2012 rated it liked it
One of the most over-hyped books in the past 5-6 years.

Undoubtedly the brand that benefited the most from this book was author David Meerman Scott, who catapulted to guru status.

Granted, he was at the forefront of identifying certain trends, but he also over estimated others (podcasts for one).

Worth reading if you are a total novice, but only as background to how Internet Marketing was during its "toddler years." Not as relevant today (2012) as when published in 2007.
Brad Worley
This book was waaaaay toooooo looooong

The info was up-to-date and generally useful for beginners to intermediate; hence the 3 stars.

But this book could have been a 5 if he'd cut the filler by 70%. That's how much fluff was in it!

Long business books are only good if they tell a great story, cut all the fat, or they are chalked full of case studies.

The New Rules of PR did none of these.

Mediocre read.
Wendy
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was ok. It provided a lot of information about blogs, but did not provide much insight on what PR is and how to do it, which is what I was looking for. It is also outdated, being written in 2007, there is no mention of Twitter and Facebook is written as only being for college kids. I'm not sure I would recommend this book, unless interested in blogging, and am definitely glad I got it from the library instead of buying it.
Toma
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for everyone who wants to understand marketing in 2015. It covers many important concepts and aspects but the most important part is the new attitude towards marketing that it's promoting. Although it could go a bit more in depth, for someone new to marketing it's sort of a Bible.
Huma Rashid
I read this because I am offering my services to a 501(c) that I really, really believe in. It's a shelter for South Asian women that are victims of domestic violence. This gave me some great ideas to boost their online presence. Wish me luck at my meeting tomorrow! With a little bit of elbow grease, I may be able to turn a volunteer opportunity into a full time paying gig, iA, iA, iA.
Ilona
Jul 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Did not finish it, pretty dated
Shannon
Dec 27, 2008 is currently reading it
What can I say? It's for work. Came highly recommended by several sources. Haven't really started it yet, but I'll let you know. I'm just not much of a non-fiction reader....
Chad Warner
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chad by: Buffer
This is a pretty good primer on online marketing. Those experienced in online marketing are unlikely to benefit much from it. The principles still stand, though many of the specific resources mentions are dated. There are over 50 examples of small and large organizations succeeding online.

Summary: Marketing isn't about "the message." It's about being insightful. Stop advertising and get your ideas out there by understanding buyers and telling them stories that connect with their problems. Parti
Jane
Sep 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book, while touted as the sixth edition, could easily have been reduced by two-thirds to create what would be a book that would be of value to more people. Throughout the book, Scott boasts of the accomplishments of what is assumed to be his client base and so it is definitely a marketing tool for him as he continually reminds readers that his services are for hire. There are, however, a few places in the book that would be of value to any reader--those pertaining to employment searches and ...more
T.L. Cooper
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Release & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly 6th Edition by David Meerman Scott is an interesting, informative, and detailed book on marketing and public relations. Scott gives great examples of the techniques he recommends. The New Rules of Marketing & PR is filled with tips that I can't wait to implement as well as ones I've long been doing. Scott offers new approaches to ...more
Amanda
Sep 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mind-blowing information gleaned from this book:
"Pitch bloggers like Gizmodo"
"Write individualized pitches"
"Don't use Re: in the subject line"
"Use hashtags"
"My company puts photos on Flickr and Facebook and it totally worked"
"Use the tip-line/form on a news outlet's page instead of pitching directly"
"Pitch using email"

...Wow, revolutionary! I've been working in PR for 5+ years, and this is all either common-sense stuff, or blatantly wrong, ineffective wastes of time (i.e. that horrible tip-line
LiisaK
Apr 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Peter
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very long, bland and basic. It seemed like Scott just skims the basics on a lot of types of new media while dropping advertisements for himself and other companies. I found it hard to get through as it was very boring. There wasn't anything to really propel the book. The examples were stated matter-of-factly and just showed the obvious points he was trying to make. This might be good for you if you've never used a blog or any kind of social media and need someone to show you the very first step. ...more
Bruce Harpham
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, marketing
An excellent introduction to social media and PR. Each chapter is made of smaller sections that remind me of blog posts. Most of the tools and techniques Scott described were already familiar to me. However, a few points stand out. First, he has done great work in collecting a wide variety of case studies (e.g. surfing schools, churches, Fortune 500 companies ) and showing how they apply the "new rules" of social media to their work. Second, there is some excellent material on how to use press r ...more
Iris Rigter
First part of the book is pretty decent, it lays out some fundamentals you can use in your everyday marketing strategy and has a good focus on how you should write for your customers (and not for your own interest of describing your product or service).

Second part where the writer gets into the ‘how you should do stuff’ is maybe useful for the inexperienced marketeer, but doesn’t add much if you have already been in marketing for a few years.
Matthieu
This book is useful as an introduction of inbound marketing techniques, but I have personally not really gained new insights (I was already convinced of the importance of the new rules). Nevertheless, I recommend chapter 10 ("Building your marketing and PR plan") because it serves as a sort of summary of the book.
Ingrid Haunold
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I re-read this book slowly, which is an early edition from 2009 (available in an updated edition). Some chapters are a bit outdated, but it's still very relevant. I intend to read an updated edition next year. David Meerman Scott has a common sense approach to marketing and public relations, which I love.
Ayoub
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book clearly demonstrates how Free quality content that solves real problems is slowly but surely replacing the glorification of old, pricey interruption based marketing approches. and how it helps organizations build their notoriety and credibility and how it brands them as worthy to do business with by giving them a thought leadership in their respective markets.
social media/addiction 1 4 Jul 07, 2013 01:27PM

• Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • The New Community Rules: Marketing on the Social Web
  • The Social Media Bible: Tactics, Tools, and Strategies for Business Success
  • Twitter Power: How to Dominate Your Market One Tweet at a Time
  • The Facebook Era: Tapping Online Social Networks to Build Better Products, Reach More People, and Sell More Stuff: Tap Online Social Networks to Build ... Reach More People, and Sell More Stuff
  • The Zen of Social Media Marketing: An Easier Way to Build Credibility, Generate Buzz, and Increase Revenue
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • Optimize: How to Attract and Engage More Customers by Integrating SEO, Social Media, and Content Marketing
  • Managing Content Marketing: The Real-World Guide for Creating Passionate Subscribers to Your Brand
  • Return On Influence: The Revolutionary Power of Klout, Social Scoring, and Influence Marketing
  • Likeable Social Media: How to Delight Your Customers, Create an Irresistible Brand, and Be Generally Amazing on Facebook (and Other Social Networks)
  • Social Media Roi: Managing and Measuring Social Media Efforts in Your Organization
  • Marketing in the Age of Google: Your Online Strategy Is Your Business Strategy
  • Meatball Sundae: Is Your Marketing Out of Sync?
  • The New Relationship Marketing: How to Build a Large, Loyal, Profitable Network Using the Social Web
Our always-on, Web-driven world has new rules for competing and growing business. Advance planning is out – agile is IN! Those who embrace new ways will be far more successful than those who stay who stay stuck and afraid to change. No one knows more about using the new Real-Time tools and strategies to spread ideas, influence minds and build business than David Meerman Scott. It’s his specialty.

H
“Barack Obama is the most successful new marketer in history. Study his campaign so that you can adapt the ideas for your business.” 0 likes
“When people come to you online, they are not looking for TV commercials. They are looking for information to help them make a decision.” 0 likes