Start by marking “The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)

The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain #1)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  20,433 Ratings  ·  1,449 Reviews
King Severn Argentine’s fearsome reputation precedes him: usurper of the throne, killer of rightful heirs, ruthless punisher of traitors. Attempting to depose him, the Duke of Kiskaddon gambles…and loses. Now the duke must atone by handing over his young son, Owen, as the king’s hostage. And should his loyalty falter again, the boy will pay with his life.

Seeking allies and
Published April 1st 2016 by 47North (first published March 1st 2016)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
7-3-17 This book and the next two or three are $1.99 on Audible for the US right now. I'm not sure about anywhere else.

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

I got this book free through the kindle first program. I'm doing pretty good at picking winners!

Damn book made me cry, a good cry and sad cry!

Lord Kiskaddon made a mistake when he didn't abide by the King's wishes and he lost his eldest son and had to give over another one of his children as a ward. Lady Eleanor and Lord Kiskaddon decided
Katie B (Bisforbookiemonster)
I'm totally going against the majority of the ratings here, but this book has left me with mixed feelings. I like the premise, a lot, which is the reason that I chose it as my pick for March’s Kindle First. I like the idea of a trilogy where each book focuses on the main character at a different time in his life. Add to that the concept of magic, and I was intrigued.

But that’s really where the intrigue ended.

I’d like to say that this book involves a sly power play for the throne or the tricks an
Dannii Elle
Sep 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Actual rating 3.5 stars.

This is the first installment in the Kingfountain trilogy and follows the journey of Owen Kiskaddon, as he is taken from his home to the King's castle as hostage for his father's crimes of desertion and treason. Owen, a shy and serious seven-year-old, was easy to fall in love with and I immediately empathized with his plight. His abrupt departure from the world he knew, the chaos of the King's palace and the new faces he was confronted with, all conspired to give this an
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, fantasy
Took a chance on a daily deal audio book and bought this gem. It's a typical knights in armor, king in a castle fantasy story with the power of sight and mysticism thrown in. The author does draw inspiration from the War of the Roses however, quite blatantly (white boar badge, drowning in a hogshead of wine, boys in a tower, someone with a crookback, main character actually called Duke of Gloucester, etc), but what he imagines to work along with these historical references leaves one with a deli ...more
Johan Twiss
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Queen's Poisoner, by Jeff Wheeler, is book 1 in his new The Kingfountain Series. And truth be told, it was very different than what I expected, but not in a bad way. I'm a fan of Jeff Wheeler and have enjoyed his 3 trilogies in the Muirwood and Mirrowen worlds, and came into this book expecting The Queen's Poisoner to be much of the same, but it was different.

Although Wheeler's writing style is still clear throughout, unlike his other books, this story follows a child, 8-year old Owen, as th
Frankie Lovely
4 stars
Review to come
Free for Kindle Unlimited

Ok ...

THAT WAS GREAT!!

If you don't like a slow build fantasy with a shit ton of strategy and politics ... then this book will not be for you.

But like ... that happens to be a list of all the things I love!
Also there is no romance for all of you out there who are clambering for less googly eyes in your fantasy books.

Awesome awesome awesome ... and I can't wait to see where this series goes because this book laid down a pretty strong foundation here!
TS Chan
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.

Honestly, I am not sure how to rate this book so I went right down the middle. At one point around one-fourth in, I nearly put it down as I wasn't enjoying the story told from the perspective of an eight-year old boy, Owen Kiskaddon, who was very shy and timid but seemed to be special. Then the titular character showed up and I was sufficiently intrigued to keep on reading.

The story itself was fairly good and made up of a cast of fairly diverse characters. A supposedly cruel and dang
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
Feb 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Ya'll, I am exhausted.

Truth be told, I probably would have been better off DNFing this one, but I'm stubborn and had already made it 60% in before I started to realize that the story was actually going absolutely nowhere. So the remaining 40% became an exercise in stamina and fortitude for me and boy was it a challenge!

What Drew Me In:
I'm a sucker for High Fantasy. Magic, Kings, Queens, Knights, Vicious backstabbings in houses of nobility, it all appeals to me. The premise of this one caught
Crazy4Books
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review-books
Rating: 2.5 Stars

This book wasnt at all what I was expecting. I liked the idea of people being blessed with special abilities. The plot didnt move along fast enough and wasnt all that engaging. I dont think there was enough time spent on the plot. Being the plot driven reader that I am I had a difficult time getting into this story because its mostly character driven with a lot of world building details. Once the world building was laid out the writing was more enjoyable.

We follow Owen as a youn
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
This just showed up on my Kindle yesterday! I've never even heard of this book before. Either someone who i share my password with bought it without my permission (dick move) or i preordered it and forgot about it, because it just came out today, i believe. Whatever, at least it sounds like something i would read.
HBalikov
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Thanks to my GR friend, BAM, for pointing me to this book.

This was a good-enough book that could have been better. I have no problem with an author borrowing from history. Here, the mythical kingdom of Ceredigion bears a close resemblance to England during the War of the Roses period and the King is a "knockoff" of Richard III. All that matters little except for those who are deep into that English period and are noting all the parallels.

The book begins with an interesting focus on a young (eigh
April
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So, this was good...
(I'm already finished with book two and just bought book three. I might be binge-reading and understating a little bit).
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is so rare that a book moves me to tears, but it does happen occasionally. I sit there staring at the pages, or in this case my kindle, blinking them away, silently insisting to myself that I will not cry about a fictional story. And that's exactly what happened this morning.

I love this book. I know that's bad reviewer etiquette- to simply say you love it and walk away. But I did love it. I loved the characters, who were real and fleshed out and had their own personalities and strengths and w
Emma
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars, nearly 5. Well I whipped through this in no time at all. It was a fantastic well paced, well told story. Court intrigue, political manoeuvring, poisoners (obviously!), spies, hostages, magic. Loved it.
Katrin D
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
This was such a pleasant read, light and yet engaging. Highly recommend it, if you're in the mood for Medieval-inspired court intrigues and secrets!
Aristea
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was really entertaining, it has a good story and I appreciated the main character development and the side characters/villains.

The book is a little less than 4 stars really - something around 3.75.
I had some issues with the plot itself. Specifically (view spoiler)
Frank
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm going to write a really long review for a book that probably doesn't merit one, but with all of the five-star reviews here I'd like to just point out everything that bothered me about it. Maybe see if I'm the crazy one for these things sticking out to me.

I can't say this is a terribly well-written book, but there were elements of the story and characters that were strong and kept me slogging through. For a book that isn't that long or dense it took me a long time to get through it; it simply
Almney King
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
3⭐ Good, but slow paced

A very slow paced book in which nothing inherently interesting happens. The beginning is full of great drama but twenty pages in, the rush flattens and stays at the same pace throughout. The characters didn’t stand out too much. I’d say Owen and the King steal the show, but even they were very two dimensional. The plot wasn’t too predictable, which was a relief, but lacked a uniqueness that would have made me really enjoy this book. It was a pleasant read, but I’m not sur
Marie
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow.

I rarely give five stars...this one is SO good...definitely worth five!!...or six.... I am anxious for the next installment in May. This is so fun! I had many suppositions as I read..and they were all turned on their ears. This book surprised me multiple times. You will not be sorry you read it!!!!
Kavitha Sivakumar
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ir-armchair-2018
The author tells that he wrote this book inspired by some true events in Britain's history. I love!!! the book. The story is told from 8 year old boy's perspective. A historic fiction without romance and very gripping. I would like to read more from this author.

The usual story. King waging war, executing the traitors. The boy's father, a Duke, refused to assist the reigning King in the war thinking that the opposite party will win the war and will be King in the future. However, the reigning Kin
Sercan Vatansever
Mar 29, 2018 marked it as to-read
Olimpos Yayınları çevirmiş bunu. Çok sevindim ve şaşırdım. Migros'a 9.90a gelmesi için sabırsızlanıyorum. Bu tarz yayınevleri bize bu yüzden lazım! :P
autumn
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: royalty
basically, this book had the mature plot of a (simplistic) high fantasy/royal politics book (with murders and complicated family relations you have to remember) with the VERY juvenile tone of a middle grade book (told from the perspective of an 8 year old). not a great combo.

mainly i just didnt really get the POINT of the story. there really wasnt very much plot, just a lot of set dressing. why was this book written? what was the message? WAS there a message?

kind of spoilers idk (view spoiler)
Kelsey
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya, high-fantasy
Actual rating 4.5 stars
--------------------
Marius Paulsen (Antari-kun)
This book was just What I needed! Good writing, the audio was great and the story really stuck with me!
Sheharzad ⚘
Nov 23, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: ya-fantasy, asap
this sounds so darn epic! i'm getting lots of GoT-esque vibes yaaass!! on the asap shelf it goes 😃
Carrie Gulledge
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book as my Amazon Kindle First book for March; if there is a Fantasy book listed at all, chances are that's the book I'm going to go for. The premise for this book sounded interesting so I grabbed it first thing this morning - I knew I was going to have a long day at appointments with my mother-in-law and I needed something to do with all of that time spent sitting. It wasn't until I went to put it into my Goodreads for my Currently Reading that I realized who the author was.

Ah,
lacy [a ravenclaw library]
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy, medieval times, kings, queens
For my first fantasy book (that I remember besides Harry Potter ) this was incredible. It had just the right amount of fantasy that it wasn't completely overwhelming. It was set in medieval times so I think that aspect really helped me enjoy this book. The names were a little difficult to promise but I just kind of glossed over them. Perhaps I will get an audiobook of this series in order for me to understand pronunciations.

This is the story of Owen. His family had to give up a child to be hel
Nicole Hewitt
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

I wasn’t sure what to expect with this series. It reads like an adult fantasy series (not meaning that there’s adult content, but just that the tone and writing style make it feel like traditional adult fantasy I’ve read in the past), but the main character is a child, which is a bit unusual. But I really loved Owen’s innocent voice and perspective. When Owen comes to court, he’s (rightfully) terrified, but one of the
Keri
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook

4 STARS - I REALLY LIKED THIS SERIES!
AUDIOBOOKS

*Review for books 1, 2 & 3*
The Queen's Poisoner The Thief's Daughter The King's Traitor

Yes! I really liked this. It's well written, has a storyline that sucked me in and I loved the characters.

This is first and foremost a fantasy novel. I wouldn't call it a YA novel really, although it's perfectly safe for young teens.

In book 1 there is the potential for romance in future books, but the main characters are around 11 years old at this point, so
Dani
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
When I first started this book, I thought the first chapter, when Owen is eight was more like a prologue and that in the rest of the book we'd see a twelve or fourteen years old Owen. But no. The whole book is about eight-years-old Owen and this is the reason why I found the book so slow, I guess. I'm not used to MC so young.
I loved Owen and Elysabeth Victoria Mortimer, Ankarette, Duke Horwath and I even like the king!
The story was interesting and quite intriguing. It was amusing to see the adve
  • Golden Age (The Shifting Tides, #1)
  • Gateway to Fourline
  • The Queen of Blood  (The Queens of Renthia, #1)
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
  • Enemy: A Dark Fantasy Novel
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Endgame (Voluntary Eradicators, #1)
  • Rider (Spirals of Destiny #1)
  • Rex Equilibrium (Elei's Chronicles, #3)
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
  • Dawn of Wonder (The Wakening, #1)
  • The Daughter of Union County
  • The Reborn King (The Dragon's Blade, #1)
  • A Different Kingdom
  • The Midnight Sea (The Fourth Element, #1)
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
  • The Tattooed Duchess (A Fire Beneath the Skin, #2)
Jeff took an early retirement from his career at Intel in 2014 to become a full-time author. He is, most importantly, a husband and father, a devout member of his church, and is occasionally spotted roaming hills with oak trees and granite boulders in California or in any number of the state's majestic redwood groves. He is also one of the founders of Deep Magic: the E-zine of Clean Fantasy and Sc ...more
More about Jeff Wheeler

Kingfountain (7 books)
  • The Poisoner's Enemy (Kingfountain, #0.4)
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
“Never trust another person to do your thinking for you.” That sounded a little strange to Owen, but he accepted it.” 11 likes
“Most people suffer from a lack of imagination. They don't dare enough. But I do.” 7 likes