Start by marking “Kill Switch (Joe Ledger, #8)” as Want to Read:
Kill Switch (Joe Ledger, #8)

Kill Switch

(Joe Ledger #8)

What do you do when the power goes off?

A terrorist group has acquired one hundred E-bombs. Each bomb's electromagnetic pulse is powerful enough to blow out all power and all technology from a major city. The terrorists plan to hit one hundred American cities in a campaign of destruction. Word has gotten out about the coming blackout and gangs, criminals and terrorist strik
Audio CD
Published April 26th 2016 by Macmillan Audio

To ask other readers questions about Kill Switch, please sign up.
K.a. Basically... yes. I read the whole series in one fell swoop.
David Vinther No. The first book in the Joe Ledger series is Patient Zero. Kill Switch is actually the 8th book in the series.

Frank Errington
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review copy

Is it to early to add this to the list of my ten favorite reads of 2016? Kill Switch, by Jonathan Maberry, is that good. It's hard to imagine many books to be published the rest of this year being better than this new adventure in the Joe Ledger series.

If you've never read a Joe Ledger novel, it's not too late. Kill Switch is as good a place to start as any. You don't need to read the other books unless you really want to. Maberry covers all of the bases to bring the reader up to spee
Rizwan
....And then the mindf*cking, mindblowing, mindnumbing, literally one of a kind Joe Ledger series-with its truly one of a kind larger than life badass 'Joe Ledger' character-by Jonathan Maberry became the greatest, bestest, epicest, awesomest etc etc Thriller series I've EVER EVER EVER read in my life. Bar none. The all-time Numero Uno. Hands down. Period. Right now I literally have nothing to describe this HOLY FREKKING SHIT!!! of a beautifully INSANE piece of book. Maybe sometime later, when I ...more
G.
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun fact: I almost rode my bike into a ditch this morning, because I stayed up way too late to finish this book. Biking while sleep deprived? Don't recommend it. I do recommend this book series, though.
Dan Deluca
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow..

Wow, This was a great addition to the series.. Loved the H.P Lovecraft stuff.. Cant wait for the next book.
Alondra
5 Stars

Joe, DMS, Church, Cthulhu, mind-control (??) and the dark; what is not to love?? There is so much hinky-shit happening, and it is all related. The DMS just needs to figure out who the bad guys are; which is not as easy as it sounds. It is friend versus friend versus foe. To me, we don't have another case of Joe whooping ass and taking names; it seems that the DMS have met their match..... and it all starts with genius.

I think we get a little foreshadowing of things to come. So ready! Whe
John Shaw
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the latest in the
JOE LEDGER series

&
Kolchak The Night Stalker

In this outing
it seems that Capt. Ledger
is'nt just facing the normal
villains of a tech cabal
but then it becomes
fighting Eldritch Horrors
straight from HP Lovecraft

Maberry continued to amaze with
brilliant story telling
and amazing action
this is the SF
action hero we have been waiting for
Chris
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Someone has taken control of deadly tech that can be used to kill power to all things powered by electricity, and in a series of terrifying events, the death toll rises. And if that's not horrible enough, a terrorist prophet claims responsibility and promises even worse attacks...to bring America to a new Dark Age.

Enter Joe Ledger and his DMS team, recently tasked to probe an installation suddenly gone dark in Antarctica. But what they encounter is beyond anything they could imagine, and very ne
Zade
May 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
You have no idea how it kills me to give an "it's okay" to a Joe Ledger novel. I love Joe! I've loved this series since Maberry started it. I've read every single book several times, even though I'm not much of a fan of "fringe" topics. Maberry's fantastic storytelling and wickedly dark sense of humor have always gotten me past the aliens and vampires and such, as has his tendency, at least in this series, to present scientific explanations for traditionally "supernatural" phenomena.

But darn it
Andreas Strom
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant as always. The Joe Ledger books are among my favourite of all time, and this one was as great as I expected. The story was interesting and pretty damned scary as well. I hope Maberry hurries up and writes another one, as I'm already hungry for more.
Sharon
St. Martin's Press and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Kill Switch, in exchange for an honest review.

Kill Switch is the 8th book in the Joe Ledger series and neither the author nor the main character show any signs of slowing down. When terrorists acquire a weapon that can plunge America into darkness, they hatch a sinister plan to leave America in chaos, in the dark, and fighting a plague without access to the very people who could help them. When the coordinated attack include
Brian Fitzpatrick
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Joe Ledger does not deserve all the grief that gets thrown at him. He and his friends at Echo Team get thrown into the deep end of the pool over and over again... there are bound to be consequences, right? Well, Kill Switch brings some of those consequences to bear. Self-doubt. Hero worship dashed on the rocks. And innocents - so many innocents - stuck in the line of fire.

Does he come through? Of course he does. Jonathan Maberry isn't retiring Ledger's number any time soon. But he does get some
Aaron Advani
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-re-read
These books are getting bigger and more complex with each novel Jonathan writes.
The action is intense, the characters are big, the plot is huge.
It feels like things maybe drawing to a close with the introduction of threads leading to future events (constant readers will understand) but hopefully there is more in the locker for Joe Ledger and Echo Team.
Jonathan Mayberry writes Horror Thrillers better than anyone out there.
Lizz
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Another excellent addition to the series but OH MY GOD LEAVE ECHO TEAM ALONE. JUST LEAVE THEM ALONE. THEY DO NOT DESERVE THIS. Hi. Sorry. This is a great book about truly terrible things and I both love it and hate it in equal measure.
Chris Berko
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was younger I read a lot of stuff by authors like John Sandford and James Patterson, as I got older I sort of moved away from them and the formulaic structure of their writing. Not to take anything away, those books were hugely entertaining, I just branched out. These Ledger books are not something I gravitate towards nowadays but I love Maberry's writing and trust him to deliver a solid story (the Pine Deep trilogy is spectacular). Fast forward eight books and this might be the best one ...more
Darrell Grizzle
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced action and adventure thriller with Lovecraftian horror and science fiction woven seamlessly into the story. Usually with thrillers I get a little bored around page 300 (did we really need that last action scene?) but Kill Switch kept me engaged and fascinated for all 544 pages – and left me wanting more.
Kate
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Maybe the best Joe Ledger adventure yet! The normal fast paced adventures, science and war, along with themes of betrayal and mind control. A spectacular read!
Todd Bristow
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Best book of the series thus far.
Debbie
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jonathan Maberry is one of those authors you really can't go wrong with and he knocks it out of the park again in Kill Switch. Even if he writes the most outlandish ideas you just go with it and quickly become enthralled because his writing is just that good.

Whenever I see a new Joe Ledger book I wonder where he's going to take it because each one is just so crazy and over the top I think he can't take it up another notch. Yet somehow he always manages to. I am glad that this one wasn't quite a
Cheri
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
Shelves: audio-books
Starts off Intense and Doesn't Let Up!"

Wow, this was another awesome addition to the Joe Ledger series!

Where does Jonathan Maberry come up with these ideas? Kill Switch was a fast paced "edge of your seat" story full of action, suspense, and weaved enough fantasy, the story had believable elements. He's a genius at combining fantasy and reality and making you believe, if it could happen, this is how it would occur.

I love Joe Ledger and the rest of the characters, especially their banter. They
Jason Gonsalez
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a roller coaster ride from Hell. From Lovecraft to King. Jonathan Maberry just needs to sit down and write Joe Ledger books till his death. The dude can fucking write and tell a story. The only negative I have for Jonathan Maberry is that he has the most bad ass solider/cop who can pretty much kick anyone's ass and Maberry dresses the man in the most ridiculous clothes on the planet. Fucking Hawaiian shirts or a damn baseball jersey. Even worse it's the Baltimore Orioles jersey. Ma ...more
Ryan H
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow what can I say my mind was blown after chapter 3 and stayed that way until the very end Maberry does a remarkable job in all aspects of writing this one Some of my fav parts included things from previous books coming back to haunt the DMS Ray Porter is the man and one of the best in the biz So grab yourself a Joe Ledger Brat and prepare yourself for a edge of your beliefs ride Maberry and Porter have done it again until nextcall...
Bibliofiendlm
Full review here: http://tinyurl.com/zhhbr7c
__________

Kill Switch is amazing and filled with the pulse pounding action and complex storytelling Maberry readers adore. I will not add major spoilers because this is too much of a mind bending thrill ride to ruin it. Safe to say fans are in store for twists, turns, and plenty of double crossing, spectacular fights, mind controlling epic villains and yes, killer giant albino penguins!
Kelly
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every person ever.
What a damn crazy rollercoaster ride. As I've come to know and love from Jonathan Maberry, every single page of this book was a thrill ride out of Hell. I really could not ask for anything better, but I certainly will hope and wish and wait with bated breath for more. Every single time.
Kim the Strange
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow....that was so intense! I didn't think I'd ever love a book more than Assassins Code, but this is my new favorite in the series. I'm going to need a day or two to decompress!

Wow.....
Neil
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
read it over a few days. fantastic as usual by Jonathan maberry......some suprises but the ending was a bit quick for my liking. still a top notch read.
Kooloo
CrayCray Story BUT OHHHHH SOOOO GOOOD

Just when I think the pieces are finally coming together

*BAM*

Maberry throws something else into the ring that just leaves me floored___
___rolling around___
____________curled up like a question mark?

Gahhhhhhhhh I freaking love this series!
Sonny
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Joe Ledger adventure. So exciting I was almost afraid to finish reading it!
Alex Collazo
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy Jesus, this book was amazing. Took me two days (at work) to finish it. It was pretty easy to figure out who was the bad guy here, but oh dear, the Mythos in it and future visions of stories I have already read, kept me glued until I finished it.
Dan
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
With each Joe Ledger book, Maberry pushes the boundaries of just how much horror/sci-fi he can shove into a real world scenario. He's managed to convincingly give us versions of zombies, vampires and even aliens but he takes it one step further here by telling us that the work of HP Lovecraft is real too.

Somehow, it works. Part of me felt that it was one step too far- around the point of the deadly mutant penguin (yes, really). But it's all explained using the idea of other dimensions and build
Dave
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I started doing these book reviews as a writer's exercise. Basically the goal was just to capture what felt about what I just read well also preserving any surprises that may come, because those can be some of the most enjoyable parts of a book; especially the kinds I read for enjoyment which are usually mystery/crime, horror, science fiction, fantasy and action adventure. Preserving those reveals can be a challenge though. Which is a good segue way into talking about Jonathan Maberry's latest J
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Nemesis (Arisen, #8.5)
  • Denial Measures (Up From the Depths #1)
  • Bloodshot, Volume 3: Harbinger Wars
  • The Horizon (Arisen, #6)
  • Callsign: King (Jack Sigler) (Chess Team, #1)
  • Dead Team Alpha (Dead Team Alpha, #1)
  • Suicide Squad: Rebirth #1
  • Black Scorpion: The Tyrant Reborn
  • Silver (Ogmios Team Adventure #1)
  • Slaughterhouse (The Retreat, #2)
  • The Blades: SAS Special Operations Force (The Blades SAS Series Book 1)
  • Infestation
  • PRIMAL Inception (Primal #0.5)
  • Worm
  • Leviathan
  • All-Star Batman #1
  • Cold Barrel Zero (John Hayes, #1)
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and five-time Bram Stoker Award-winning author, anthology editor, comic book writer, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. He was named one of the Today’s Top Ten Horror Writers. His books have been sold to more than two-dozen countries.

He writes in several genres. His young adult fiction includes ROT &a

Joe Ledger (10 books)
  • Patient Zero (Joe Ledger, #1)
  • The Dragon Factory (Joe Ledger, #2)
  • The King of Plagues (Joe Ledger, #3)
  • Assassin's Code (Joe Ledger, #4)
  • Extinction Machine (Joe Ledger, #5)
  • Code Zero (Joe Ledger, #6)
  • Predator One (Joe Ledger, #7)
  • Dogs of War (Joe Ledger, #9)
  • Deep Silence (Joe Ledger #10)
“Three things,” I told her. “First, there’s no such thing as too much coffee. Second,
caffeine has nothing to do with my jitters. And third, there’s no such thing as too
much coffee.”
1 likes
“Did the sudden dark remind you that all of the things we expect to be there for us, to protect us, shelter us, provide for us, are fleeting and finite?” 0 likes