Start by marking “The Secret History of Twin Peaks” as Want to Read:
The Secret History of Twin Peaks

The Secret History of Twin Peaks (Twin Peaks #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  3,739 Ratings  ·  651 Reviews
From the co-creator of the landmark television series Twin Peaks comes a novel that deepens the mysteries of that iconic town in ways that not only enrich the original series but readies fans for the upcoming Showtime episodes.
Published October 18th 2016 by Flatiron Books

Win a Copy of This Book

The Secret History of Twin Peaks
    Release date: Oct 18, 2016
    From the co-creator of the landmark series, the story millions of fans have been waiting for 25 long years.

Enter for a chance to win a copy of Mark Fr

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 1 copy available, 649 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jul 24 - Aug 11, 2017

Countries available: US

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Secret History of Twin Peaks, please sign up.

aprilholic If you still plan on watching the show after the book, I recommend you stop reading what's after pg. 323 which revealed the cause of the death of…moreIf you still plan on watching the show after the book, I recommend you stop reading what's after pg. 323 which revealed the cause of the death of Laura Palmer.(less)
    The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer by Jennifer  LynchThe Secret History of Twin Peaks by Mark FrostThe Autobiography of F.B.I. Special Agent Dale Cooper by Scott FrostLynch on Lynch by David LynchCatching the Big Fish by David Lynch
    TWIN PEAKS ^◊^
    19 books — 12 voters
    Black Panther #1 by Ta-Nehisi CoatesThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodLove Sense by Sue JohnsonUnderground Airlines by Ben H. WintersA Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
    2017fllo
    100 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

karen
    Nov 05, 2016 karen marked it as to-read
    i STILL haven't sat down with this book for any length of time, but i HAVE made a glorious endcap:

photo IMG_0922_zpspnawvena.jpg
    and now the funkos have arrived!!

photo IMG_1747_zpsxuojxpid.jpg

come and get 'em!

***********************************************
    i rarely get book-schwag, but when i do, i am over the moon with gratitude...

photo IMG_7768_zpsphiyckcm.jpg

photo IMG_7769_zpsjsbr6vj0.jpg

photo IMG_7770_zpswxl9a9d9.jpg

super-excited to dive into this one, and i cannot WAIT for the new episodes - EEEEEEEEEE

FanboyBen
    May 22, 2017 FanboyBen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: tv-show-tie-in
    Diane, it’s 8:43 p.m. on May the 22, and I have just completed what I believe to be a monumental and not insignificant undertaking: over the course of the last 10 days, I have successfully devoured all 30 episodes of the original “Twin Peaks” show, survived the bleak terror that is “Fire Walk with Me,” consumed all four episodes of Showtime’s new season, and now–last, but certainly not least–I have dissected all 368 fascinating pages of Mark Frost’s “The Secret History of Twin Peaks.”

Diane, whi
    HFK
    Jan 26, 2017 HFK rated it liked it
    The Secret History of Twin Peaks is a difficult book to review as you can hardly give anything away without spoiling it, but at the same time you don't really need to be a Twin Peaks fan, or even familiar with the TV-show, to get some good time out of it.

My first problem is that it has been awhile since I re-watched this hit show, and there is quite a much elements that would have probably worked (and been easier to confirm or more well-thought) better in a sense of getting in the proper mood to
    Paquita Maria Sanchez
    Nov 28, 2016 Paquita Maria Sanchez rated it liked it
    Shelves: literature
    Do not read this if you have yet to watch the first two seasons of Twin Peaks. Oh, you know why I get to put it that way? Because there's gonna be a third! Wheeeeeee!!! Anyway, warned.

photo 0826c6a5-ebc0-493c-a6d2-e6ce1b52336e_zps5zbrtp9b.png

Well, as fun as it was returning to Twin Peaks, this book contains some grievous errors*, and a little too much emphasis on the UFO side of things for my taste. However, we do get to:

1) learn who (if anyone) lived and who (if anyone) died in the bank vault explosion (Andrew Packard? Audrey Horne? Pete Martell? R
    Craig
    Oct 18, 2016 Craig rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: fiction
    Not only is the book a beautiful design, but the story takes the reader deeper into the (his)story of Twin Peaks and its inhabitants, as well as into the history of the United States. Thematically, one particular highlight was the "amending" of Season 2 elements. Where Season 2 went off the rails, this book fills in some gaping holes there which make for a much more cohesive view of those elements within the larger Twin Peaks mythology. Additionally, the complexity of this text is startling: at ...more
    El
    Jun 06, 2016 El marked it as to-read
    PUT THIS IN MY HANDS, STAT.
    Andrew
    Mar 07, 2017 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    First off a few ground rules - Twin Peaks was required viewing while I studied at university. I loved the first series, got confused by the second and lost the plot with the film. Okay that was a rather over simplification but you get the idea. This series if you have not realised by now is complicated subtle and potentially down right mind bending - its great you cannot imagine (or you can) the number of arguments I had at the end of each episode.

Now on to the book - but first a little explana
    Richard Gandolf
    Oct 17, 2016 Richard Gandolf rated it it was amazing
    You should read this before you open up the book. Spoiler free review.

USPS somehow delivered this to me a few days early (thanks US mail) so I read this over the very rainy weekend.
    This is not a novel in the traditional fashion. What it is, is a collection of letters, documents, newspaper clippings, and photos. These start way back with Lewis and Clark and go all the way forward to now. It’s a bit slow in the first 100 pages but after that the collection hits its stride. It becomes suggestive, g
    Matthias
    Nov 18, 2016 Matthias marked it as to-read

Early Christmas gift to myself!! Can't wait to jump into this one!
    Jim Dooley
    Oct 21, 2016 Jim Dooley rated it liked it
    Mark Frost, the writer of this book, is the co-creator of the TWIN PEAKS television series. So, no matter what a reviewer has to say about the book, the true TWIN PEAKS fan is going to read this (especially with the series' return set to launch in a few months). It is like telling true Harry Potter fans that the latest installment (not penned by the original writer) is not nearly as good as any of the books. The fans will still flock.

With that acknowledgment, here goes:

THE SECRET HISTORY OF TWI
    Neil Coulter
    Oct 25, 2016 Neil Coulter rated it liked it
    Recommends it for: only die-hard Twin Peaks fans
    Shelves: fiction, twin-peaks
    About 23% of The Secret History of Twin Peaks is very interesting. The rest reads like X-files fan-fiction (it's even annotated by a very Scully-like FBI agent, whose intials--it hurts to say this-- are "TP"), and doesn't feel at all like the Twin Peaks I know and love. Most of that 23% is contained between pages 155 and 237, a section in which Mark Frost sets aside the UFO sightings, Project Paperclip, and men in black to give the reader the backstories of a number of Twin Peaks regulars. We ge ...more
    Scott
    Oct 19, 2016 Scott rated it liked it
    Enjoyable enough on its own terms, although the bulk of it reads more like an X-FILES tie-in than a deep dive into the world of Twin Peaks. Beautifully put together from a design standpoint and definitely ambitious, but also a little sloppy. The fates of several characters not in the upcoming series are revealed, but continuity sticklers will note a number of discrepancies with the original series/movie. (None of them bothered me much, but your mileage may vary.) The central mystery - the identi ...more
    Antonomasia
    Jun 25, 2017 Antonomasia added it
    Recommended to Antonomasia by: AB
    As I've seen the entirety of Twin Peaks (up to S03E07) for the first time over the last 4-5 weeks, I have a weirdly compressed view of the series, and noticed details and continuity errors in the book with an intensity that seems out of proportion with my length of acquaintance with a show that, after having not been allowed to watch it when other kids at school were, I hadn't been especially bothered about getting round to for 26 years - until a handful of separate friends each started getting ...more
    John Paul
    Oct 17, 2016 John Paul rated it it was amazing
    The Secret History of Twin Peaks has got to be one of the most thorough and engrossing books ever to be based on a television series. It introduces a level of intrigue and excitement to the Twin Peaks universe that I always suspected was there, lying dormant and waiting for the right time to emerge, but never thought I would see with my own eyes.

The TV show, as many know already, ends on an infuriating cliffhanger, and for decades the only additions to the canon was the poorly-received but still
    Reuben
    Nov 04, 2016 Reuben rated it it was ok
    This is a frustrating read. Swathes of it smack rather embarrassingly of low-tier fanfiction, whereas others manage to channel exactly the uneasy poignancy that made (makes?) the show so successful.

The bulk of the book is concerned with things fairly tangential to Twin Peaks; and I found these things completely boring. UFOs, freemasonry, JFK, Illuminati, Scientology, Watergate etc -- it seems like Frost has scrambled to cram every conspiracy he can into this book and it's much weaker for it. Th
    Scott
    Oct 23, 2016 Scott rated it it was ok
    I'm a huge Twin Peaks fan and this felt like Mark Frost having a field day with David Lynch nowhere in sight. 20% interesting material about our favorite characters, 80% ridiculous conspiracy theories. Sorry, this was a real letdown after this many years of waiting for a resolution. And, JACKIE GLEASON??? Really, Mr. Frost???
    John Bruni
    Nov 17, 2016 John Bruni rated it it was amazing
    I've forgotten how to obsess over something. When I was younger I went all in on a lot of stuff. If I found myself attracted to something, I had to find out everything there was to know about it. Like when I discovered books by Joe R. Lansdale. Or when I found the music of Nick Cave. Or when I saw my first film by David Lynch. I don't do that anymore. I don't know why that is. Have I reached a point where I just don't care enough to obsess over something?

The Secret History of Twin Peaks brought
    Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
    Because my best friend is the best and purchased this book in gorgeous hardcover for me for Christmas, I will be reading this before new episodes of the show come out.

I hear the steady buzzing sound of the sawmill in the background, midgets are dancing to tuneless melodies all around me, Audrey is putting on her red shoes, logs are telling their secrets, fish are sweetly percolating, coffee and cherry pie are being consumed in droves, and the owls are definitely not what they seem.

FLAMES (Mariana Oliveira & Roberta Frontini)
    "Ler este livro acabou por ser um interessante desafio visto que o elevado número de intervenientes, as suas relações e os mistérios constantes me fizeram sentir uma verdadeira detective a par de Tamara Preston, tentando descortinar o real do imaginário e distinguir a verdade da mentira."

Opinião completa no blogue: http://flamesmr.blogspot.pt/2017/03/l...
    Celeste
    Jul 22, 2016 Celeste rated it liked it
    Knigoqdec
    Apr 03, 2017 Knigoqdec rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    За мен книгата си беше чиста среща с книжното удоволствие. Очите ми се фокусираха върху нея още когато я видях за първи път и никак не съжалявам, че имам възможността да я държа в ръце. А и тя ми предложи много чудесни мистерии за обмисляне, както и... много възможности за забавление. Обожавам книгите, които представляват сборници от документи, дневници и прочее "бележки", които заедно разказват удивителни неща.
    Michael Malice
    Oct 20, 2016 Michael Malice rated it did not like it
    was billed as a bridge between the two series but we learn almost nothing about what happened to anyone in the interim. there's more in here about Nixon and L Ron Hubbard than about Cooper, yes I am serious.
    Rick Slane
    Not what I was expecting but it was alright. Goes clear back to Lewis & Clark. If you like historical mysteries and conspiracy theories and were a fan of the tv show this is for you.
    Devi
    Jan 08, 2017 Devi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Nach dieser Lektüre habe ich jetzt das unendliche und dringende Bedürfnis auf der Stelle komplett Twin Peaks zu schauen, aber ich hab morgen Frühdienst. Das könnte ein bisschen hart werden. Dieses Buch macht Sucht nach mehr und vor allem wird man dann sicher Twin Peaks noch mal mit anderen Augen schauen können. Ach ja, hab ich erwähnt, dass in diesem Buch hocherotische Fußnoten auf fast jeder Seite zu finden sind? Ich bin entzückt.
    Жор
    Apr 25, 2017 Жор rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favorites
    Вече няма две мнения, че телевизията изпреварва киното, защото сериализираният формат допуска разгръщането на по-обхватни сюжети и по-комплексни образи. Заедно с широката достъпност, която интернет и стрийминг платформите като „Нетфликс” позволяват, с всеки ден мястото за дискусия по темата става все по-тясно. Малко зрители обаче си дават сметка, че допреди 10 години подобни сравнения нямаха място в публичното пространство, поне до появата на сериали от калибъра на „Игра на тронове“ и „В обувкит ...more
    mmm
    Jun 04, 2017 mmm rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    not for real fans
    Kathy (another great etcetera)
    May 26, 2017 Kathy (another great etcetera) rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2017
    Whoooah. In true Twin Peaks fashion, I am left intrigued, fascinated, completely confused, but also very well entertained and ready to recommend it to anyone. Actually, probably only to proper Twin Peaks nerds...

Time to finally watch season three, I guess!
    Writer's Relief
    May 19, 2017 Writer's Relief rated it it was amazing
    The Secret History of Twin Peaks, written by series co-creator Mark Frost, offers a “factual” look at the history of the fictional town that was the setting for the early 1990s television series. The book is presented as a dossier compiled by “The Archivist” and then interpreted by an unreliable FBI agent narrator who goes by the initials “TP.”

Frost excels at integrating fact with fiction. The book opens with scanned copies of journal entries written by none other than Lewis and Clark during an
    Jeff O'Brien
    May 13, 2017 Jeff O'Brien rated it it was amazing
    I don't know how to review a book like this. It's awesome. There's a start. If you're obsessed with the show and want to know more about the many mysteries and mysteries within mysteries in Twin Peaks, not picking this book up would be robbing yourself. It started slow but it really gained momentum at about the 150 page mark and I finished the last two hundred pages in one white-knuckled sitting.

Also, if you're a UFO nut like me, you might read this book and end up loving Twin Peaks more than y
    FittenTrim
    Oct 26, 2016 FittenTrim rated it liked it
    As a Twin Peaks superfan, I could write so much about the novel but it would be filled with spoilers: so my non-spoiler review is simply: great bits of hints and clues pop-up throughout The Secret History, but insight into the beloved characters never occurs.

Also, ignoring the multiple, painful inconsistencies with the show/film, the main character of Dougie Milford never earns the reader's empathy.

Check out my podcasts covering the book in detail:
    Play Book Tag: The Secret History of Twin Peaks - Mark Frost 4/5 1 10 May 29, 2017 04:01PM
    Secret History of Twin Peaks podcast 1 14 Dec 26, 2016 05:24PM
    • "Diane..." - The Twin Peaks Tapes of Agent Cooper
    • Welcome to Twin Peaks: An Access Guide to the Town
    • Full of Secrets: Critical Approaches to Twin Peaks
    • In My Humble Opinion: My So-Called Life
    • Olivier
    • David Lynch: Beautiful Dark
    • The Way Hollywood Tells It: Story and Style in Modern Movies
    • Notes: On the Making of "Apocalypse Now"
    • If They Move . . . Kill 'Em!: The Life and Times of Sam Peckinpah
    • David Lynch: The Man from Another Place
    • Killfile (John Smith #1)
    • Wrapped in Plastic: Twin Peaks
    • Lee Marvin: Point Blank
    • Hollywood Hellraisers: The Wild Lives and Fast Times of Marlon Brando, Dennis Hopper, Warren Beatty, and Jack Nicholson
    • Kinski Uncut
    • A Third Face: My Tale of Writing, Fighting, and Filmmaking
    • Somebody: The Reckless Life and Remarkable Career of Marlon Brando
    • The Stanley Kubrick Archives

Twin Peaks (2 books)
    • Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier

“A wise man once told me that mystery is the most essential ingredient of life, for the following reason: mystery creates wonder, which leads to curiosity, which in turn provides the ground for our desire to understand who and what we truly are.” 5 likes
    “But if you seek the truth you must approach the unknown. Lean into it. Wait for it to speak to you. Are you willing to pass that threshold?” 2 likes