Start by marking “The Secret History of Twin Peaks” as Want to Read:
The Secret History of Twin Peaks

The Secret History of Twin Peaks (Twin Peaks #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  6,915 Ratings  ·  905 Reviews
From the co-creator of the landmark television series Twin Peaks comes a novel that deepens the mysteries of that iconic town in ways that not only enrich the original series but readies fans for the upcoming Showtime episodes.
Published October 18th 2016 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about The Secret History of Twin Peaks, please sign up.
aprilholic If you still plan on watching the show after the book, I recommend you stop reading what's after pg. 323 which revealed the cause of the death of…moreIf you still plan on watching the show after the book, I recommend you stop reading what's after pg. 323 which revealed the cause of the death of Laura Palmer.(less)

FanboyBen
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: twin-peaks
Diane, it’s 8:43 p.m. on May the 22, and I have just completed what I believe to be a monumental and not insignificant undertaking: over the course of the last 10 days, I have successfully devoured all 30 episodes of the original “Twin Peaks” show, survived the bleak terror that is “Fire Walk with Me,” consumed all four episodes of Showtime’s new season, and now–last, but certainly not least–I have dissected all 368 fascinating pages of Mark Frost’s “The Secret History of Twin Peaks.”

Diane, whi
karen
Nov 05, 2016 marked it as to-read
i STILL haven't sat down with this book for any length of time, but i HAVE made a glorious endcap:

photo IMG_0922_zpspnawvena.jpg
and now the funkos have arrived!!

photo IMG_1747_zpsxuojxpid.jpg

come and get 'em!

***********************************************
i rarely get book-schwag, but when i do, i am over the moon with gratitude...

photo IMG_7768_zpsphiyckcm.jpg

photo IMG_7769_zpsjsbr6vj0.jpg

photo IMG_7770_zpswxl9a9d9.jpg

super-excited to dive into this one, and i cannot WAIT for the new episodes - EEEEEEEEEE

HFK
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it
The Secret History of Twin Peaks is a difficult book to review as you can hardly give anything away without spoiling it, but at the same time you don't really need to be a Twin Peaks fan, or even familiar with the TV-show, to get some good time out of it.

My first problem is that it has been awhile since I re-watched this hit show, and there is quite a much elements that would have probably worked (and been easier to confirm or more well-thought) better in a sense of getting in the proper mood to
Kemper
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this while enjoying a piece of cherry pie and a cup of damn good black coffee after installing my silent drape runners. And lemme tell you about this crazy dream I had last night. I was in this room with red curtains….

OK, those are the obvious references, but I’m new to Twin Peaks fandom so cut me some slack. Honestly, I’ve always been kind of fascinated by David Lynch’s work, but I struggled mightily with it because I’m the kind of person who needs the story to make some kind of sense at
Paquita Maria Sanchez
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: literature
Do not read this if you have yet to watch the first two seasons of Twin Peaks. Oh, you know why I get to put it that way? Because there's gonna be a third! Wheeeeeee!!! Anyway, warned.

photo 0826c6a5-ebc0-493c-a6d2-e6ce1b52336e_zps5zbrtp9b.png

Well, as fun as it was returning to Twin Peaks, this book contains some grievous errors*, and a little too much emphasis on the UFO side of things for my taste. However, we do get to:

1) learn who (if anyone) lived and who (if anyone) died in the bank vault explosion (Andrew Packard? Audrey Horne? Pete Martell? R
Craig
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Not only is the book a beautiful design, but the story takes the reader deeper into the (his)story of Twin Peaks and its inhabitants, as well as into the history of the United States. Thematically, one particular highlight was the "amending" of Season 2 elements. Where Season 2 went off the rails, this book fills in some gaping holes there which make for a much more cohesive view of those elements within the larger Twin Peaks mythology. Additionally, the complexity of this text is startling: at ...more
El
Jun 06, 2016 marked it as to-read
PUT THIS IN MY HANDS, STAT.
Andrew
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off a few ground rules - Twin Peaks was required viewing while I studied at university. I loved the first series, got confused by the second and lost the plot with the film. Okay that was a rather over simplification but you get the idea. This series if you have not realised by now is complicated subtle and potentially down right mind bending - its great you cannot imagine (or you can) the number of arguments I had at the end of each episode.

Now on to the book - but first a little explana
Richard Gandolf
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You should read this before you open up the book. Spoiler free review.

USPS somehow delivered this to me a few days early (thanks US mail) so I read this over the very rainy weekend.
This is not a novel in the traditional fashion. What it is, is a collection of letters, documents, newspaper clippings, and photos. These start way back with Lewis and Clark and go all the way forward to now. It’s a bit slow in the first 100 pages but after that the collection hits its stride. It becomes suggestive, g
Neil Coulter
Oct 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: only die-hard Twin Peaks fans
Shelves: twin-peaks, fiction
About 23% of The Secret History of Twin Peaks is very interesting. The rest reads like X-files fan-fiction (it's even annotated by a very Scully-like FBI agent, whose intials--it hurts to say this-- are "TP"), and doesn't feel at all like the Twin Peaks I know and love. Most of that 23% is contained between pages 155 and 237, a section in which Mark Frost sets aside the UFO sightings, Project Paperclip, and men in black to give the reader the backstories of a number of Twin Peaks regulars. We ge ...more
Jim Dooley
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Mark Frost, the writer of this book, is the co-creator of the TWIN PEAKS television series. So, no matter what a reviewer has to say about the book, the true TWIN PEAKS fan is going to read this (especially with the series' return set to launch in a few months). It is like telling true Harry Potter fans that the latest installment (not penned by the original writer) is not nearly as good as any of the books. The fans will still flock.

With that acknowledgment, here goes:

THE SECRET HISTORY OF TWI
Matthias
Nov 18, 2016 marked it as to-read

Early Christmas gift to myself!! Can't wait to jump into this one!
Scott
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Enjoyable enough on its own terms, although the bulk of it reads more like an X-FILES tie-in than a deep dive into the world of Twin Peaks. Beautifully put together from a design standpoint and definitely ambitious, but also a little sloppy. The fates of several characters not in the upcoming series are revealed, but continuity sticklers will note a number of discrepancies with the original series/movie. (None of them bothered me much, but your mileage may vary.) The central mystery - the identi ...more
Antonomasia
Jun 25, 2017 added it
Recommended to Antonomasia by: AB
As I've seen the entirety of Twin Peaks (up to S03E07) for the first time over the last 4-5 weeks, I have a weirdly compressed view of the series, and noticed details and continuity errors in the book with an intensity that seems out of proportion with my length of acquaintance with a show that, after having not been allowed to watch it when other kids at school were, I hadn't been especially bothered about getting round to for 26 years - until a handful of separate friends each started getting ...more
John Paul
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Secret History of Twin Peaks has got to be one of the most thorough and engrossing books ever to be based on a television series. It introduces a level of intrigue and excitement to the Twin Peaks universe that I always suspected was there, lying dormant and waiting for the right time to emerge, but never thought I would see with my own eyes.

The TV show, as many know already, ends on an infuriating cliffhanger, and for decades the only additions to the canon was the poorly-received but still
Reuben
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: american, fiction, male
This is a frustrating read. Swathes of it smack rather embarrassingly of low-tier fanfiction, whereas others manage to channel exactly the uneasy poignancy that made (makes?) the show so successful.

The bulk of the book is concerned with things fairly tangential to Twin Peaks; and I found these things completely boring. UFOs, freemasonry, JFK, Illuminati, Scientology, Watergate etc -- it seems like Frost has scrambled to cram every conspiracy he can into this book and it's much weaker for it. Th
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
Because my best friend is the best and purchased this book in gorgeous hardcover for me for Christmas, I will be reading this before new episodes of the show come out.

I hear the steady buzzing sound of the sawmill in the background, midgets are dancing to tuneless melodies all around me, Audrey is putting on her red shoes, logs are telling their secrets, fish are sweetly percolating, coffee and cherry pie are being consumed in droves, and the owls are definitely not what they seem.

Ana
Nov 17, 2017 marked it as to-read
www_twin_peaks_0

www_twin_peaks

www_twin

www_twin_peaks_gif

Perfection at its finest. I feel a binge coming on.

tumblr_mk769bke_M41r9qu8so1_500
Amanda
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This was a really interesting book, which I listened to for the full cast experience. Luckily I was able to stay focused pretty well, even though audiobooks are more difficult for me. It was a great way to ease out of binge watching the tv show and still get to experience some of my favorite characters. I most loved learning the backgrounds of certain characters, such as Douglas Milford and the log lady. It amused me that in places Twin Peaks is described as being in northwest Washington, and in ...more
Artemy
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-books
Ah, Twin Peaks. It's not the easiest show to love. I had a hard time getting into it. The original two seasons at first felt very dated, the acting seemed stiff and at times almost comically bad, and there were so many characters with such complicated relationships that I still can't believe the show got to be as popular as it did. Oh no, when I started watching Twin Peaks, I hated it. So I quit. Twice, actually — first time halfway through the 90 minute pilot, the second time after the other ha ...more
John Bruni
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've forgotten how to obsess over something. When I was younger I went all in on a lot of stuff. If I found myself attracted to something, I had to find out everything there was to know about it. Like when I discovered books by Joe R. Lansdale. Or when I found the music of Nick Cave. Or when I saw my first film by David Lynch. I don't do that anymore. I don't know why that is. Have I reached a point where I just don't care enough to obsess over something?

The Secret History of Twin Peaks brought
Scott
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm a huge Twin Peaks fan and this felt like Mark Frost having a field day with David Lynch nowhere in sight. 20% interesting material about our favorite characters, 80% ridiculous conspiracy theories. Sorry, this was a real letdown after this many years of waiting for a resolution. And, JACKIE GLEASON??? Really, Mr. Frost???
Julie Rasmine Larsen
Titel: Den hemmelige historie om Twin Peaks. Forfatter: Mark Frost. Sider: 362 sider. Forlag: Politikens Forlag. Udgivelsesår: 2017. Anmeldereksemplar: Politikens Forlag ★★★★

“En klog mand fortalte mig engang, at mysterier er den vigtigste ingrediens i livet af følgende grund: Mysterier skaber forundring, der fører til nysgerrighed, som er grundlaget for vores trang til at forstå, hvem og hvad vi virkelig er.”

I maj udkom Den hemmelige historie om Twin Peaks på dansk, og fans af af kultserien fra
Blair
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got off to a rocky start with this – I am of the opinion that 'handwritten' letters should be banned from publication in books unless they are accompanied by full typed transcripts. But I soon found myself getting into the rhythm of the narrative and, having done so, it proved surprisingly easy to lose myself in it for hours at a time. (I'd owned it for a year, and avoided it partly because I wanted to read it right before watching The Return (I didn't manage this in the end), and partly becau ...more
Writer's Relief
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Secret History of Twin Peaks, written by series co-creator Mark Frost, offers a “factual” look at the history of the fictional town that was the setting for the early 1990s television series. The book is presented as a dossier compiled by “The Archivist” and then interpreted by an unreliable FBI agent narrator who goes by the initials “TP.”

Frost excels at integrating fact with fiction. The book opens with scanned copies of journal entries written by none other than Lewis and Clark during an
Sean Stevens
This is a guilty pleasure for a lot of reasons for the TWIN PEAKS completist. Especially in audiobook form, being able to hear the actors reprise their iconic roles succeeded in making me giddy as a schoolboy on a first date (had i gone on any back then). The best parts were easily the parts of the dossier that read like theater monologues since they stand on their own and are not just character backstories but emotionally charged outpourings of melodrama that reference incidents from the show b ...more
Rick Slane
Not what I was expecting but it was alright. Goes clear back to Lewis & Clark. If you like historical mysteries and conspiracy theories and were a fan of the tv show this is for you.
FLAMES (Mariana Oliveira & Roberta Frontini)
"Ler este livro acabou por ser um interessante desafio visto que o elevado número de intervenientes, as suas relações e os mistérios constantes me fizeram sentir uma verdadeira detective a par de Tamara Preston, tentando descortinar o real do imaginário e distinguir a verdade da mentira."

Opinião completa no blogue: http://flamesmr.blogspot.pt/2017/03/l...
Celeste
Jul 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Knigoqdec
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
За мен книгата си беше чиста среща с книжното удоволствие. Очите ми се фокусираха върху нея още когато я видях за първи път и никак не съжалявам, че имам възможността да я държа в ръце. А и тя ми предложи много чудесни мистерии за обмисляне, както и... много възможности за забавление. Обожавам книгите, които представляват сборници от документи, дневници и прочее "бележки", които заедно разказват удивителни неща.
Play Book Tag: The Secret History of Twin Peaks - Mark Frost 4/5 1 16 May 29, 2017 04:01PM
Secret History of Twin Peaks podcast 1 22 Dec 26, 2016 05:24PM
  • "Diane..." - The Twin Peaks Tapes of Agent Cooper
  • Welcome to Twin Peaks: An Access Guide to the Town
  • Full of Secrets: Critical Approaches to Twin Peaks
  • In My Humble Opinion: My So-Called Life
  • Olivier
  • David Lynch: Beautiful Dark
  • The Way Hollywood Tells It: Story and Style in Modern Movies
  • Notes: On the Making of "Apocalypse Now"
  • If They Move . . . Kill 'Em!: The Life and Times of Sam Peckinpah
  • David Lynch: The Man from Another Place
  • Killfile (John Smith, #1)
  • Wrapped in Plastic: Twin Peaks
  • Lee Marvin: Point Blank
  • Hollywood Hellraisers: The Wild Lives and Fast Times of Marlon Brando, Dennis Hopper, Warren Beatty, and Jack Nicholson
  • Kinski Uncut

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Fear of Flying
    $19.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Uncertain Season
  • The Odyssey
  • And After the Fire
    $11.49 $1.99
  • The House of Impossible Beauties
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Virtuous Woman (Oprah's Book Club)
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Unsaid
  • The Wake Up
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • No One Can Pronounce My Name
  • Hate List
  • Husbands and Other Sharp Objects
  • Hidden
  • Mystery Walk
  • Galway Bay
    $11.99 $3.99
“A wise man once told me that mystery is the most essential ingredient of life, for the following reason: mystery creates wonder, which leads to curiosity, which in turn provides the ground for our desire to understand who and what we truly are.” 10 likes
“Sometimes an owl is just an owl.” 6 likes