Start by marking “Wolf in the Snow” as Want to Read:
Wolf in the Snow

Wolf in the Snow

A girl is lost in a snowstorm. A wolf cub is lost, too. How will they find their way home?

Paintings rich with feeling tell this satisfying story of friendship and trust. Here is a book set on a wintry night that will spark imaginations and warm hearts, from Matthew Cordell, author of Trouble Gum and Another Brother.
Published January 3rd 2017 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Wolf in the Snow, please sign up.
Catherine Zhang 这本书让我在北京的寒冬感到温暖。一个善意换善意的故事是值得被宣扬的。不过对于狼的危险性,还是值得讨论的。洗白狼的危险性是值得被警惕的。

Mischenko
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To see this week's Wordless Picture Books, please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com by clicking HERE

A little girl is leaving school for the day and has to endure a really bad snowstorm on the way home. As she begins her journey, she stumbles upon a wolf pack and a little wolf cub that appears to be scared and lost. She takes the cub along with her on the journey and hears the wolves howling in the distance. Why are they howling? She isn’t sure, but continues to trudge through the stormy weather
David Schaafsma
I repost this review because this book, one of my favorite books of 2017, was awarded the prestigious Caldecott Medal of 2018! Yay!

The Power of Literature, The Power of Science

Though I have had a life of the outdoors, I am a city guy now. I don’t know much about wolves, really, except what I read about the western struggle to either protect or eliminate them. I have consistently been on the side of protecting them, chiefly informed by my reading of the great environmental writer (Arctic Dreams!
Calista
This is best summed up as One good deed deserves another. I will admit that the last 3 Caldecott books rocked my world and blew my mind so I went into this with some high expectations. This wordless picture book did not meet those expectation.

This is a good story, a decent story - I don't see it as the best story I have read so far for books published in 2017. The art was unique and again it didn't blow me away. I enjoyed it all - I didn't feel it was the cream of the cream for 2017 personally.
Tina Haigler
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This is a wordless book, except for sound effects like howling. The artwork of this book threw me off at first because it was a little chaotic with the snow, line style, and shapes used. After two or three pages though I got used to it and was able to enjoy the art and the story. The story was cute and sweet and had a happy ending. I would recommend this for kids ages 4 to 8.
Betsy
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It’s hard to pinpoint exactly why it is that I love picture books as much as I do. Putting aside the usual reasons (brain growth, increasing a child’s capacity for wonder, parent/child bonding, and so on, and so forth) on a purely personal level I think what draws me to them time and again is that the form is so open to artistic expression and change. Unless it’s a sequel (or written by a celebrity, for that matter), every single picture book out there is an object that must stand or fall entire ...more
Danielle
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Oh, this one will make you cry in the best way! Great moments, great emotion, great sound effects.
Jessica
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
That this won the Caldecott doesn't surprise me in the LEAST. Oh, my gosh, it's GORGEOUS. Wordless, but so precious a story, and the art is fantastic. My kids love to look through it, I love to look through it, we all love this book!
Jillian Heise
A definite must-add to any wordless picture book collection. Helping to develop empathy and understanding of all creatures, and acknowledgement of the role of the wilderness, are all addressed without text in Matthew Cordell's engaging illustration style. The snowy scenery and the determination of the main character jump off the page. And the parallelism of the storylines from the two perspectives of the little girl with her family, and the wolf cub with his pack, add a depth and level of compas ...more
Kate
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
HANG ON WHILE I WIPE ALL OF THESE TEARS OFF OF MY FACE
Edward Sullivan
A nearly wordless, beautifully rendered, richly satisfying meditation on friendship, kindness, and trust.
Zoe's Human
Apr 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
So ... the art is great and all. I'm also a fan of the wordless picture book, which this essentially is only with sound effects. But ...

I'm bothered by anything that positively portrays taking in baby wild animals or touching wild animals in a non-fantasy setting. Too many wild animals end up dead or injured because of well-intended humans. Most wild animals that attack and get put down, do that because of mistakes humans make in interacting with them. Most of the humans that get hurt by wild an
Josiah
Feb 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm reading Wolf in the Snow for the first time on February 12, 2018, the day it was announced to have won the Caldecott Medal as the preeminent American picture book of 2017. I'd never read any of Matthew Cordell's work, and that's what I like about the Caldecott awards: being introduced to authors and illustrators I might never come across on my own, who occasionally become favorites. We're treated to an elaborate show of Matthew Cordell's art in Wolf in the Snow, a nearly wordless story of t ...more
Carrie Gelson
6 stars. No 7. Oh this little book, how I love it!
Margie
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing

When you close the cover on some books the first time read (and every time thereafter), you sit in stunned silence. These books have enveloped you in the best kind of emotion. They are filled with faith, hope and yes...love. They tell you we are all connected. Each of our stories is connected to another story. Some stories, like the stories in these books, cross boundaries and borders in their universality.

These essential, significant stories remind us of stories in our own lives. They remind us
Jamie
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-ya
I honestly do not understand why this won the Caldecott Medal this year. It is a lovely book (if dangerous--kids should NOT "befriend" wild baby wolves and return them to their wild mothers, but hey, it IS a book, so...)--but it doesn't have anything distinguishing about it from my viewpoint. The illustration is fun and sketchy but nothing unusual or impressive.

Someone who appreciated it more can please explain what I am missing!
Kate
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a picture book that uses very few words. In fact, the only words in the book are those of sounds. Despite this, it is able to convey a beautiful sentiment.
Jenn
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so stunning, I can't believe I only saw it a few days ago! I love it and I want to hug it forever. (I had to give it to Paul for Valentine's Day, but I don't know if he really loved it like I love it!)
Krissy
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-tristan
Cute book but I need more words in order to keep my son interested in the story.
The Library Lady
Seriously, this is the best illustrated book those sweet Caldecott people could find in 2017?
They do know that that's what this award is for, don't they?

I had written about the art in my initial review, but having talked to a co-worker, I now know what the issue is for me. It's as if Cordell has 2 different styles here. The people and the backgrounds look sort of like John Burningham's art.The backgrounds are pixelated and the people are awkwardly posed and lumpy, only Burningham manages to pull
Joan
Agnė
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wolf in the Snow is a heartwarming wordless picturebook that hints at the traditional tale of Little Red Riding Hood but has a refreshingly positive representation of wolves in children's literature.

Although Matthew Cordell's drawing style is not my favorite personally, I have to admit that his illustrations are very expressive and they manage to be both cartoonish and realistic at the same time. I also appreciate his effective use of color, framing, page layouts, and various perspectives to emp
Philip
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
4ish stars.

As with any award decided by jury/committee, there are some years I connect much more with the selections than others. This is one of the years I'm relatively unimpressed. Not that any of this year's books are undeserving, they just don't speak to me like those in years past. This is my favorite of the bunch, a wordless story of beautiful watercolor illustrations. It's sweet and touching and makes me want a wolf pup (just kidding I know that's a bad idea).

Illustrations: 4
Story: 4
Dolly
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Dramatic story told with few words, but lots of emotions. The pen and ink and watercolor illustrations are great. The closeup image of the Wolf mom on p. 33 (unpaged) is amazing.

This book was featured as one of the selections for the August 2019: Caldecott Winners and Honor Books from 2018 & 2019 discussion for the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Laura Harrison
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just love Wolf in the Snow. It may be my favorite Matthew Cordell title. A little girl gets lost in the snow. A wolf cub gets lost in the snow. They cross paths. He howls; his pack howls back. They keep howling for the cub like a beacon. What does the girl do? The book is about the strength you find within, courage and more. Love the inspirational text. A compassionate and lovely book.
Tasha
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A little girl heads home from school as snow starts to fall. She is warmly dressed for the weather in a bright-red coat and a scarf over her face. She has a dog at home waiting eagerly for her return. There is also a pack of wolves nearby with one small wolf cub. The snow falls faster and both girl and cub become lost, finding one another in a small grove of trees. They can hear the howls of the wolves, so the girl picks up the cub and heads that direction. Along the way, they have to cross a ri ...more
Chance Lee
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-it
A mostly wordless picture book that is surprisingly scary. The artwork does a wonderful job conveying emotion. The only text is onomatopoeia -- grr, howl, etc. The story involves a young girl finding a wolf cub in the woods. When she gets lost, the wolf family protects her and leads her family to her location with their howls. It's a cute story of "friendship and trust" according to the blurb, but I don't like books where, in reality, it probably wouldn't work out this way at all. That girl woul ...more
Beverly
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I really liked this wordless story, which was quite easy to follow just by "reading" the illustrations. Kindness beget kindness in this story. As for the ink and watercolor illustrations--the depictions of the wolves looked almost realistic, but the people looked very cartoonish, and reminded me somewhat of Quentin Blake's art style. Otherwise, the illustrations were excellent at depicting the cold, and the weariness of both wolf cub and girl.
Cheryl
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Red Riding Hood turned inside out. If only we lived in a world where beings could live in harmony, readily coming to the aid of each other. And, erm, if only Cordell had chosen to draw the people a little bit more appealingly... the wolves and snow are appropriately gorgeous so why are the people weird?
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
A girl rescues a wolf pup in the snow and he, in turn, rescues her. A beautiful wordless story of reciprocity with illustrations that carry the story. The red hood on the girl subtly reminds us of other, not-so-pleasant wolf-human interactions in the past and hints at our ability to create new futures. A story that offers great hope in our world.
Lucia
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wolf in the Snow by Matthew Cordell is a nice almost wordless book about a child leaving school at the beginning of a snow storm, meeting a wolf pup that got away from his pack, only to be eventually rescued. I'll let you figure out who saves whom. The only words you will see are onomatopoeias. This would be a great book for teachers to expose their class to this concept.
Mock Caldecott 2020: 2018 ALA Youth Media Awards 8 53 Mar 04, 2018 04:52PM

• Daisy Gets Lost
  • Lines
  • Flashlight
  • Fossil
  • The Little Red Cat Who Ran Away and Learned His ABC's (the Hard Way)
  • Crown: An Ode to the Fresh Cut
  • Return
  • Hunters of the Great Forest
Matthew Cordell is the acclaimed author and illustrator of the 2018 Caldecott winner Wolf in the Snow. He is also the author and illustrator of Trouble Gum and the illustrator of If the S in Moose Comes Loose, Toot Toot Zoom!, Mighty Casey, Righty and Lefty, and Toby and the Snowflakes, which was written by his wife. Matthew lives in the suburbs of Chicago with his wife, writer Julie Halpern, and ...more