Start by marking “Teen Hyde (High School Horror Story, #2)” as Want to Read:
Teen Hyde (High School Horror Story, #2)

Teen Hyde

(High School Horror Story #2)

High school meets classic horror in this YA contemporary twist on Robert Louis Stevenson's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Head Cheerleader Cassidy Hyde’s life should have been perfect. But it really, really wasn’t, and she’s about ready to give up and disappear. Until, the first time she takes Sunshine. This new experimental drug makes Cassidy feel like the pe
Published January 10th 2017 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Teen Hyde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teen Hyde

Woff
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Teen Frankenstein was good, but this was fantastic!
Roxanne
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Fiewel & Friends and Netgalley for a copy of the eARC in exchange for a fair review.

Disclaimer: This is book 2 in the High School Horror series, well it's not completely needed to understand events and references are made to Teen Frankenstein book 1.

Cassidy Hyde isn't dealing with things all that well. Since Adam cheated on her with a nobody and was killed the night she was crowned Homecoming Queen things have been hard. She just can't shake the sadness so she agrees to go to the
Ryley (Ryley Reads)
I read the first book in this series when it first came out a few years back. I thought it was a unique take on a classic horror story. That's kind of how I went into this book, but while this may seem like a Jekyll/Hyde story, it is actually much darker.

The story follows Cassidy, Homecoming Queen, head cheerleader and all-around Miss. Perfect. But after the death of her boyfriend, she finds herself spiraling into a darker version of reality. One night, she finds herself in a terrifying situatio
paula
Davina Herondale
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't normally leave reviews, however I was sent an arc of this novel and I feel as though I should say a little something. The writing was alright for a YA novel. The story itself was well put together. The plot wrapped up quite nicely. The finale is something fresh in the sense that I haven't seen an ending like this happen in a long time.
Kate
Jan 24, 2017 marked it as on-hold
I'm marking this as on hold because it's not at all what I expected it to be? It doesn't seem to include Tor or Adam at all, even in the background; it is REALLY intense; and I have a feeling it isn't going to end well for anyone. I think I need to be in the right frame of mind to read this, and that frame of mind is definitely not the one I've got now.
Shannon Cleveland
This book tells the tale of Cassidy Hyde, a teenage girl who seems to have everything. She's captain of the cheerleading squad, has great parents, a loving sister, she's loved by everybody. Until her boyfriend cheats on her, kills her best friends boyfriend and gets murdered himself. Cassidy, then dealing with the trauma of past events indulges in the new "designer" drug called Sunshine. It makes her feel like herself again. But when she starts waking up not being able to remember where she's be ...more
Lauren Brown
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Cassidy Hyde was once a typical popular cheerleader with her school, and town, wrapped around her finger. That is, however, until one unfortunate night that will haunt Cassidy for the rest of her life. Trying to get her life back on track, she finds Sunshine. However Sunshine brought out a side of Cassidy that’s hard to kick and has changed the course of her life forever.

When I first started reading this book, I was really impressed by the way that Cassidy’s depression came across. It seemed ver
Kristine (The Writer's Inkwell)
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Review was originally posted on The Writer's Inkwell

I was excited to find book two of this series. It has been a year since I read Teen Frankenstein and I was looking forward to see what would happen next. Needless to say, I was not disappointed by this book.

It's been several months since the events of book one and the main character is that of Cassidy Hyde. In the wake of Adam's death, Cassidy's life has spiraled out of control. Her family and friends know that something is wrong, but what the
Priscilla Perez
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Teen Hyde by Chandler Baker, 257 pgs. Feiwel and Friends (Macmillan Publishing Group), 2017. $17.99 Language – PG13 (65 swears, 0 “f”), Mature Content – PG13 (heterosexual and homosexual); Violence – PG13.
HS – OPTIONAL.

Eboni
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was an ok read. I don't see myself rechecking it out or buying it.

Cassidy Hyde is your typical superficial popular girl with a reputation of her being super easy. Talked into going to a party with her "friends," Cassidy tries to enjoy herself but can't, not until she's given Sunshine. Suddenly, Cassidy Hyde is back to her normal self. But like with all drugs, Cassidy is hit with some bad side effects. She can't seem to remember things and it seems that something sinister happened the night of
Carro Herdegen
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kiss-the-book
Language – PG13 (65 swears, 0 “f”), Mature Content – PG13 (heterosexual and homosexual); Violence – PG13; Cassidy has not been herself since that night several months ago, and, when she gets a taste of her old self again after taking a drug called Sunshine, she wants to be that old Cassidy again. But only part of her wants to make that change. The other part of Cassidy calls herself Marcy. And Marcy lives for revenge.
I found this retelling of Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde to be captiva
Beaufale
May 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
It kept me engaged, and the premise was interesting, but considering it felt like it should be a thriller, it wasn't very thrilling. Every twist was predictable and there weren't any great characters.
Its a good thing it was such a quick easy read because otherwise I don't think I would have kept going.
Honestly I still liked it enough, but critically it's not good.
As far as a retelling of Dr Jekyll, Mr Hyde goes, it really bugs me that the main characters name was Cassidy Hyde even before the tr
Chelsey
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Cassidy Hyde has carefully crafted her life into the teen dream - head cheerleader, homecoming queen, liked by all. But she has a secret she hasn't even revealed to her best friend, and when she experiments with a drug at a party, she starts waking up in strange circumstances. But her life is so much better on Sunshine that her memory loss is acceptable, right?

I've always liked The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, so it's not surprising that I enjoyed this retelling. The writing isn't th
Lizzy Snow
Oct 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was extremely... problematic.
I’m extremely uncomfortable after finishing and it’s been more rehab a day.
When an author uses rape to justify a split personality where one personality is a smiley cheerleader and the other personality is an actual homicidal psychopath grounding college rapists to death in a conveyor belt I have questions.
And concerns.
It was a dangerous and quite frankly disturbing way to portray coping with rape.
Even after that the characters are actual paper bags filled wi
Janette
May 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed "Teen Frankenstein," so was looking forward to this book. Unfortunately, it just didn't measure up to my expectations or to the caliber of "...Frankenstein." I didn't care about the main character at all and especially didn't appreciate the drug use or occasional lesbian overtones towards the end. And to say the ending was a complete downer would be the understatement of the year. It was truly disappointing and I can honestly say there isn't one thing I liked about this book.
Morgan
May 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF

So the main character of this one can be summed up in the following words: bleh, meh, and sigh.

I gave it a try, and it wasn't for me. Maybe that's because it's a #2, but honestly the two stories sound separate enough (not really overlapping with characters as much as the school as a whole) that it shouldn't be an issue.

Love the whole Jekyll/Hyde thing, but this one is going to be a pass for me. One star rating is mostly for my own benefit to show that I tried it and didn't like it.
Kyle
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Kira Brighton
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story is very gruesome (think slasher film), but it honestly has WAY more personality than the original The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde . Though it's far from uplifting, I'll take this feminist update any day.
Saleena Davidson
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Teen Hyde just looked like a fun creepy book....and it was. Baker does a good job of explaining the two parts of the main character (Cassidy and Marcy). There is murder and mayhem and intrigue....it is a fun, quick read for teens who enjoy horror stories.
Allanah
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book!
Maureen
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
An interesting take on an old story with an ending I haven't seen in quite some time.
Ms. QMS Roberson
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde with a Saw twist. This modern version of the classic split personality is very dark but very good. I strongly recommend it for mature readers
(drug use and violence ensue).
Taylor
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was not a huge fan of this book. The main character frustrated me as she knew there was an issue but I felt that she was weak and uncaring about changing. In addition, the ending is a cliffhanger and did not give me any closure.
Luna Lovebooks
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I received a free copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Likes: What a great way to bring to light real life issues that teens face today—pressures of school, drugs, and sexual assault. These problems, mixed with the tale of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, makes this book twice as scary. I did enjoy that this novel is part of a bigger story but can be read as a standalone. Cassidy’s descent into madness is well written and both her and Macy’s voices are distinct.

Dislikes: I would like to h
Mandy Peterson
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it

To be fair, I hadn't read the first book in this series, but it is definitely on my TBR (to be read) list now! A modern twist on the classic story of Jekyll and Hyde, "Teen Hyde" is reminiscent of old school teen horror novels. Chandler Baker does a good job of summing up what happened in the first book, so I wasn't too lost as I read it. The first book is not necessary to read before this one, although it may be preferable.

At the core of Teen Hyde, Cassidy is dealing with some major issues (bey
Rebekah Crain
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reading books in the YA genre is a guilty pleasure of mine, but it is not one I would think of turning to if I was looking for a book with a strong element of horror. Written with a younger audience in mind there's no question as to why, even in a horror book, the fear factor and level of terror is kept at a minimum. However, what authors like Gayle Foreman did for YA romance or Veronica Roth did for YA fantasy is what I believe Chandler Baker has done for YA horror through her High School Horro ...more
Diana
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's a story driven by revenge, in the list of my favorite plot themes that's like second. I loved it from the very beginning; falling deeper into Cassidy's mentality and feeling her loss of control.

It's a horror story but I think what makes it so great, is that the truly horrific part is all too real in this world.
Maybe 'great' is a weird choice of words to describe it, when I put it that way but what I mean is the scary part and ideas that would keep me up at night already existed, and isn't s
Elizabeth Barnes
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
"There is something at work in my soul, which I do not understand."

"Cassidy Hyde is NOT having a good year. Her boyfriend cheated on her, killed her best friend's date during homecoming, and was then murdered in turn by a serial killer, and that's without counting the thing that no one knows about. (But Cassidy doesn't like to think about that.) The point is, anyone would be a little depressed and no one can blame for looking for a little bit of help. That's where Sunshine comes in. This new exp

• Here There Are Monsters
  • Heart of Ash (Blood and Salt, #2)
  • Ransacker (Beserker #2)
  • The Devils You Know
  • Teeth in the Mist
  • PaperQuake: A Puzzle (Time Travel Mystery, #4)
  • The Fixes
  • Dark Screams: Volume Nine
  • Confessions of a Teenage Leper
  • You May Now Kill the Bride (Return to Fear Street, #1)
  • Hellfighters (The Devil's Engine, #2)
  • My Life as Crocodile Junk Food (The Incredible Worlds of Wally McDoogle, #4)
  • Crown of Oblivion
  • The Catcher's Trap
  • Return to the Dark House (Dark House, #2)
  • The Return
  • Unnatural Disasters
  • Last Lonely Saturday H/C (Fanta Version)

High School Horror Story (3 books)
  • Teen Frankenstein (High School Horror Story #1)
  • Teen Phantom (High School Horror Story, #3)
“Of course he thought he'd be all right. Guys weren't taught not to walk alone at night. Guys weren't taught not to leave their drinks unattended. Guys weren't taught to carry Mace or whistles or to consider carefully whether or not to fight back.” 0 likes