Start by marking “Bad Romance” as Want to Read:
Bad Romance

Bad Romance

Grace wants out. Out of her house, where her stepfather wields fear like a weapon and her mother makes her scrub imaginary dirt off the floors. Out of her California town, too small to contain her big city dreams. Out of her life, and into the role of Parisian artist, New York director—anything but scared and alone.

Enter Gavin: charming, talented, adored. Controlling. Dang
Published June 13th 2017 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Romance, please sign up.
Melliott Yes. It actually triggered me, and I didn't have any of those things in my past. I think it would maybe be both triggering and therapeutic for those…moreYes. It actually triggered me, and I didn't have any of those things in my past. I think it would maybe be both triggering and therapeutic for those who do, and is kind of disturbing for those who don't.(less)
Julia at the beginning of the book she's 17 and ends the book at the age of 18

Emily May
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Something in me is dimming, something that I already know I can’t get back. But you’re worth it. You are. I will tell myself this for several more months. And when I realize you aren’t worth it, it’ll be too late.

4 1/2 stars. This book had a really powerful emotional effect on me. I hadn't meant to, but once I'd started, I had to finish it in one sitting, so I found myself wide-eyed and blinking back tears in the early morning hours. This is what I'd hoped The Girl Who Fell would be.

It is such
Elise (TheBookishActress)
There's a scene in this book that I have never been able to get out of my mind, in which Grace's mother yells at her over a cutting board, and makes her late for school, and Grace just closes down. She just keeps crying and crying. And I think a lot of reviewers might have thought of that as her being whiny but that was me. That was me so many times. Because it's not that one thing, it's everything, piles and piles, shrinking you into nothing but a vehicle for the anger of others.
Each lie is s
Elena
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes. That's how long it takes me to start falling out of love with you. One year. Our own season of love.

This is a heavy and triggering book, but it can also be so very painfully accurate and realistic. The discomfort you can detect from reading this and the sorrowful experience it gives you as you're reading this makes you feel a shitload of emotions and feelings. You want to throw hands with the so-called lover, you want to yell at the main
TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
description

Let me introduce you to the most emotional book you will read this year.

Bad Romance is one of the most unique-gut wrenching-emotional-OMG I CAN’T PUT THIS DOWN-well written-Am I crying? Yep I’m crying again- books you will read.

Heather’s writing in this is just ... absurd. In the best possible way. If you don’t read YA, she, my friends, is the author that will change your mind.

This is like an incredible mix of Dusty Innocents + It Ends With Us.

Bad Romance starts at the end - told from the heroi
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
First of all, this is one hell of a heavy book, so I want to start off by saying that the book (and this review) come with trigger warnings for abuse (in every possible way: mental, emotional, verbal, physical, sexual, and parental), attempted suicide, and many suicidal thoughts.

With that said, let me be candid: this is the most authentic, honest, and true-to-life portrayal of an abusive relationship that I have ever seen in a book. I have never wished so badly not to relate to a story, but if
Hulya Kara Yuksel
“A year from now I’ll be screaming Fuck you, FUCK YOU into a pillow because I won’t have the guts to say the words to your face. But right now, a boy is staring at me from the end of the hall and even though he doesn’t say a word, he’s claimed me. I’m new territory and you’ve planted your flag."

This book was so freaking good. I loved it, I hated it. My emotions are all over the places right now but in the end I FUCKING LOVED EVERY WORDS IN THIS BOOK VERY, VERY MUCH!!! I highly recommend it. ;)

A
Lala BooksandLala
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
There were some things that bothered me in this book, but the overall message is important and done well, so I'm rating up.
maram ☂︎
I think that this book did deliver an important message on how harmful toxic relationships can be but the writing style wasn't executed to my likings nor did it have an impact on me :/

rtc.

---

THIS COVER IS FREAKIN BEAUTIFUL AND THE STORY SEEMS LIKE IT'S GOING TO CRUSH ME IN THE BEST POSSIBLE WAY ... I'M READY

BUDDY READ with tabbes trash and ghostie (i'll link them when i'm on my lappy)
Trina (Between Chapters)
Content warnings: (since there are so many, I'm hiding this so you can choose to see them or not, but be warned it's a heavy book that explores awful things.)
(view spoiler)

I'm going w
may ❀
So, so, so, so, so. I honestly don’t know how I feel about this book bc
1. THE MESSAGE IS SO BLOODY IMPORTANT
2. However – the book itself sorta dragged.

I know right, my explanation is as good as every other “3-star rated book” which is to say, not very good.

"That’s how the worst year of my life starts—in a Mustang with steamed-up windows, with a beautiful boy who cries."

On one hand, this book portrays the absolute terror that is toxic, abusive relationships in such a realistic way, while on
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
It’s only later that I’ll see you’re feeding me rehearsed lines and perfectly times smiles and gasps and tears that come at precisely the right moment. A year from now I’ll be screaming Fuck you, FUCK YOU into a pillow because I won’t have the guts to say the words to your face.
I’m new territory and you’ve planted your flag.

Such a powerful read! Truly so, so important. This is th
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“I gave you my heart on a silver fucking platter and you ate it, piece by bloody piece.”

Welcome to a review via giffery that is sure to put at least one song on a never-ending loop in your brain for the remainder of the day . . . . .

Bad Romance is the story of Grace and how she almost lost herself over the course of . . . .

It’s a story that shows . . . .

“Girls don’t fall in love with manipulative assholes who treat them like sh
Em Lost In Books
"I blush, pleasure blooming in my chest. I don't know it now, but there will be a garden inside me soon. And it'll grow thorns."

So Grace has a very troubled and stressful relationship with her mother and her stepfather. They treat her very badly but Grace is counting the days till she graduates from her school and fly away to NYU, New York. But things always didn't happen the way you planned them to be.

Gavin survived a suicide attempt after his girlfriend break up with him. Grace who is head o
Lucia
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This woman changed my perception of YA contemporary novels and I couldn't wait to read this novel. Fortunately, Mrs. Demetrios did not disappoint.

I really liked writing style and storyline. I loved that as main focus of her book, author picked a topic that is not much present in YA genre - toxic relationship and dating abuse. It is very important topic and I am so grateful that this novel depicted it in very fitting and realistic way.

Mrs. Demetrios sure knows how to write powerful YA contempor
Beverly
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for teens and young people who get into sticky relationships with manipulators. As real as it gets, Bad Romance, has such verisimilitude I knew it had to be based on her own experience as the author admits in the afterward. Her friends kept telling her, "Break up with him.", but it's not that easy sometimes.

Personally, I loved the author's descriptions of hanging around with theater kids, which I did in college. My sweet boyfriend was a drama major and those scenes in the bo
may ➹
this book was terrifying not in a horror movie way, but a this-could-happen-to-anybody way, and though it was amazing, it was incredibly triggering so if you read it please be careful!!
Taylor
UPDATED with COMPLETE REVIEW:

"When you're a stupid girl in love, it's almost impossible to see the red flags."

I’m going to be straight with y’all, I have never – in all of my history of reading – related more to a fictional character than I did with the MC of this novel. Grace felt it about Whitman and I feel it about Demetrios: she “gets what it feels like to be me so hard.”

In fact, the musical-loving, NYC-obsessing, 11:11 wishing, Renthead Grace and I could practically be the same person.
Kathryn
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, ya-realistic-fic
Girls don’t fall in love with manipulative assholes who treat them like shit and make them seriously question their life choices. They fall in love with manipulative assholes who they *think* are knights in shining armour.

Bad Romance isn’t a fun book to read. It’s disturbing, raw, and unbearably sad. The scenes contained within will remain with you. Lingering like nightmares. Gnawing at the corners of your waking mind. So yes, Bad Romance may not be fun. But it’s definitely necessary.

Desperate
Gaby
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Y'know when you're reading a TOUGH book? The books about abuse, abortion, pregnancy, cheating, etc. and you can feel your insides twisting and you want to die even though, once you're done, whatever you're reading turns out to be one of the best books you've read all year because it's so rewarding? BAD ROMANCE by Heather Demetrios manages to be one of those TOUGH books (trigger warnings for suicide + emotional and minor physical abuse from significant others and parental figures) that sticks wit ...more
Julie Zantopoulos
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, read-in-2018
This was a rough read, everyone. Trigger Warnings for domestic violence, stalking, emotional, psychological and verbal abuse, physical abuse, suicide, sexual assault and rape.

That said, it was a beautifully written book about a high school Junior/Senior who realizes her first love is not a healthy one and her struggle to leave the verbally/emotionally/physically abusive boy she loves. It's hard to watch her come to terms with love not being enough, to watch her be beaten down by her mother &
Melissa Stacy
Having grown up in a Bad Romance, survived one myself, and subjected myself to other people’s hell, time and again, to rescue battered women from their manipulative, controlling, violent abusers, I expected that I would enjoy reading the YA contemporary novel, “Bad Romance,” by Heather Demetrios.

This book is well-written. Ms. Demetrious has a strong prose style, uses beautiful details to bring a scene to life, and writes with compelling honesty about what an abusive relationship looks like and f
Tani ~Hiatus~

Shelves: 2017-releases
4.5 stars. I'm not crying, YOU'RE crying. 😭😭😭

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Bad Romance by Heather Demetrios
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)
Publication Date: June 13, 2017
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Cheska
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it

(trigger warnings for suicide, emotional and physical abuse and depression)

This book was painstakingly beautiful and overwhelming at the same time. It's about a girl who's been living under a roof of an abusive household - her subservient mother and stepfather continuously mistreating her by suppressing her choices and controlling ever
ambsreads
MY REVIEW FOR BAD ROMANCE IS ALSO ON MY BLOG, CLICK HERE TO SEE IT

Trigger Warnings: emotional cheating, OCD, girl hate, suicide attempts, threats, depression, rape, sexual assault, abuse (emotional)

R E V I E W
Bad Romance was an intense read. I had already put this book down once because I wasn’t ready for the triggers in the book. I finally felt ready to jump into this story of how the relationship a girl had dreamed about went wrong. So very wrong. Statistically speaking, many girls and boys wi
Sabrina
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5/5 ⭐

This book is so real and with a very strong message.
Such a important read about a girl who finds the strength she never thought she had to do what is right for her and for once put herself above anyone else.
The friendship in this book is amazing, I loved how supportive they were of Grace and always wanted what was best for her.
There were a few things that bother me in this book, but I still enjoy this book.
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was so hard to rate. It feels reductive to give this book a rating because "Bad Romance" is about so much more than the stars it receives. It is not merely about a typical toxic relationship, it is about manipulative and abusive relationships and the heartbreaking effects it has on the main character.

I've been a huge fan of Heather Demetrios since I read her beautiful book "I'll Meet You There". I didn't love this book as much as that one, but this book isn't just meant to be enjoyed.
Stacee
This is a hard book to rate. It was also a hard book to read.

Grace is an amazingly well written character. Her descent from charismatic and spontaneous to broken and beaten down is subtle and so effective. Gavin is portrayed in such a way that you can understand how and why Grace falls for him. But it was Nat and Lys who steal the show and I love that they were such a positive support system for her.

Plot wise, it was exactly what I was expecting. And I loved the use of second person. It was li
Heather
I want your love...

~Lady Gaga

My Beautiful, Tortured Gavin
description

"Grace. I. Love. You. Got it?"
Your ice-blue eyes are dark with feeling, tears brimming. In this light, you're all charcoal lines and velvet shadows. Something inside me breaks open and the words fall out.
"I love you too." I smile. "I mean, duh."
That's how the worst year of my life starts - in the back of a Mustang with steamed up windows, with a beautiful boy wh
prag ♻
Jul 20, 2017 marked it as dnf
update: i didn't read it

---

i know i'm marking it as currently reading but don't think for even a second i'm actually reading this :)))))

jk i might who knows // buddy read with maram and miss my bedsheets are pinker than yours

• After Everything
  • Red Ink
  • Dancing with Molly
  • The Chaos of Now
  • Nothing Left to Burn
  • The Divine Spark: A Graham Hancock Reader
  • The Fallen Queen (The House of Arkhangel'sk, #1)
  • The Truth of Right Now
  • The Horrid Glory of Its Wings
  • Whisper
  • Love, Again: The Wisdom of Unexpected Romance
  • The Pain Eater
  • All in Pieces
  • Falling Hard (Roller Girls #1)
  • Aftermath
  • 10th Grade
  • The Row
  • Splinter
Heather Demetrios is a critically acclaimed author of young adult contemporary and fantasy novels. When she isn't spending time in imaginary places, you'll find her traipsing around the world with her husband, writer Zach Fehst. Heather has an MFA in Writing from Vermont College of Fine Arts and is a recipient of the PEN New England Susan P. Bloom Discovery Award for her debut novel, Something Rea ...more
“Maybe the only way you really know you love someone is it they can break you with a single sentence.” 35 likes
“When you're a stupid girl in love, it's almost impossible to see the red flags. It's so easy to pretend they're not there, to pretend everything is perfect.” 16 likes