Start by marking “Grand Canyon” as Want to Read:
Grand Canyon

Grand Canyon

Rivers wind through earth, cutting down and eroding the soil for millions of years, creating a cavity in the ground 277 miles long, 18 miles wide, and more than a mile deep known as the Grand Canyon.

Home to an astonishing variety of plants and animals that have lived and evolved within its walls for millennia, the Grand Canyon is much more than just a hole in the ground. F
Published February 21st 2017 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Grand Canyon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grand Canyon

Start your review of Grand Canyon
Lisa Vegan
I loved every single thing about this book. 5 full stars. I’ve always wanted to be able to rate of a scale of 1-100 and this book would come very close to the 100 mark, not true for all my 5 star rated books. I love this illustrator/author and this is probably now my favorite book he’s done.

This is a non-fiction book. Its fictional aspect are illustrations of father and young daughter exploring the canyon, its present and its past too.

I learned so much. I think I would not want to visit in summe
David Schaafsma
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Update, post-trip: I had been to Arizona many times, but oddly, never once had been to the Grand Canyon, one of the geological wonders of the world, so it was on that list one makes, and this summer we drove to my sister Nancy's new house overlooking Grand Lake (at the western entrance of Rocky Mountain National Park), visited Uncle Terry in southern Utah, and then visited The Grand Canyon. Such a simple, anglo name for something so magnificent, named as my home town Grand Rapids, with its Grand ...more
Calista
This educational book on the Grand Canyon is fantastic. The artwork is amazing and there is a ton of information in it. There are little cutouts here and there to keep 5 year old boys engaged. This goes through all the layers of the canyon and it imagines what the canyon looked like at that time millions of years ago. There were 2 distinct eras when the whole canyon was under the sea. That is crazy to me.

We see all the animals at the different levels and so much information is given about the c
Manybooks
Honestly and yes, truth be told, Jason Chin really does make me very much want to visit the Grand Canyon in person with this simply marvellous marriage of informative text and brightly imaginative but still always realistic accompanying illustrations (and yes, I can certainly see how and why Grand Canyon won Chin a 2018 Caldecott Honour designation). Informative and engaging without (in my opinion) even once being monotonous, dragging and yes, glory be, also without overburdening potential reade ...more
Donalyn
Stunning illustrations with engaging text. Do not miss the extensive back matter with additional information and resources about Grand Canyon.
Agnė
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Grand Canyon is a nonfiction picturebook packed with well-researched textual and visual information about Grand Canyon's geology and ecology:

And the thoroughness of the back matter is truly impressive:

But even though it doesn't shy away from the scientific vocabulary, Jason Chin's tour-like narration is clear and engaging. What is more, some of Chin's gorgeous photorealistic illustrations, which follow a father and daughter of East Asian descent on their hike, include die-cuts that serve like wi
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I can see why this book won so many awards. This was obviously a labor of love for author Chin. He takes us through the different levels and habitats of the Grand Canyon, introducing us to the flora and fauna of each region. Best of all, he gives us the clearest picture I’ve ever seen of the canyon’s geological development—simply outstanding! He also talks about the human history of the area and the fossils that can be found there. It’s like a guidebook that both kids and adults could use. A cop ...more
Lori
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This wonderfully illustrated book discusses the geology and ecology of the Grand Canyon. It's certain to be a hit with youngsters vacationing there or who are interested in science. I loved the way Chin used margins to extend learning. Chin even offers a bibliography which would be useful for older people interested in learning more about this masterpiece of God's handiwork.
Abigail
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone Looking for Picture-Books with an Ecological or Scientific Theme
Jason Chin, author/artist extraordinaire, whose previous picture-book forays into the world of natural history include Redwoods , Coral Reefs , and Island: A Story of the Galápagos , here turns his attention to the 'grandest canyon' on earth, and the result is a distinct triumph! Using the imaginative framing device of a young girl and her father hiking up from the bottom of the canyon to the South Rim - Chin often uses a fictional framing device to highlight his non-fictional content - ...more
Michele Knott
Stunning, informative, mentor text. This book is not to be missed.
Joan
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: students of American history and American geology
I think this might finish up the last of the award winners and honor books from this year's ALA awards. What a lovely book to end these Award winners! Not only is it lovely with incredible detail, the book will be extremely useful for librarians to hand out to students who are studying the Grand Canyon. Of course, I live in the state next to the Grand Canyon (California), but this geological formation, one of the grandest canyons in the world, will be of interest to students throughout the USA, ...more
Susie
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is practically two books in one; it can be used as a picture book for younger students, and as informational text for anyone doing research on the Grand Canyon. When I first saw the endpapers, I thought, "Oh, another brown book about the Grand Canyon and Arizona." Imagine my surprise when I started the actual story only to find beautiful blue nighttime scenes. I like the way many pages were designed with a border of animals matching the habitat. All of the additional extra touches, pee ...more
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Caldecott Honor 2018

This beautifully illustrated, fully researched, non-fiction picture book has earned its place as a Caldecott honor book. The book smoothly depicts a trip, that a father and daughter hike, from the deepest elevation in the canyon, up to the top. It's filled with details and illustrations about geology, ecology, and animals that thrive at the Grand Canyon.

Personally, I could have done without all the geological aspects to the book, and would've been fully satisfied with the va
Lauren Perlstein
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book: Non-Fiction, Picture Book

Copyright Date: 2017

Estimate of age level of interest: Grades 2-6

Estimate of reading level: Grade 4

Brief description: A young girl and her father explore the Grand Canyon by traveling through the different ecological communities, discovering how the Grand Canyon was formed, what it was like in the past, and the wonderful diversity of life there today.

Identify at least 2 characteristics of this genre and subgenre an
Gary Anderson
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Grand Canyon, Jason Chin’s latest picture book, captures the historical, ecological, and geological complexity of the Grand Canyon, as well as its grandeur and beauty. Chin provides depth and detail as he explains the forces that shaped various levels and regions of the canyon, and the animals and plants that inhabit each area. The editorial layout of Grand Canyon holds some surprises for first-time readers, and the interesting images will lure those readers back for rewarding repeat visits.
KT
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
If you and/or a child you know love non-fiction or you are planning a trip to this National Park then this book is a fabulous one to check out. The illustrations and the explanation of the geology of the Grand Canyon are very accessible and appealing. My 4 year old daughter especially loved it. Highly recommended!!
Philip
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding children's picture book exploring the science behind the Grand Canyon. Accessible, easy-to-read with beautiful images and packed with tons of facts. Especially fitting for any child reading level grade 2-7 who's planning a trip to the Grand Canyon or loves science, particularly geology.
David
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Grand Canyon written and illustrated by Jason Chin is a beautifully drawn introduction to the ecology of Arizona's Grand Canyon. Readers follow a father and daughter as they make their way from the bottom to the top, discovering the canyon's life, both past and present.

Having visited the Canyon twice I really love and appreciate this well-crafted, beautifully illustrated
well-researched book. Minor quibbles are that I would love to see larger versions of the animal and plant illustrations, and
Lesley Burnap
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Visually stunning, meticulously researched with multiple resources & information in the back matter. Illustrations look akin to photographs. Chin uses two characters-a young girl and her father-to walk through the canyon and pull us through the book. Some reveries by the child give you an idea of what was once at each layer. Story line of the father and daughter hike through the canyon can be followed by even the youngest reader. Illustrations under this layer of "storytelling" provide more back ...more
Vicki
This book is not for me. I find the level of detail surrounding the rock formations and names to really bog down the flow of this narrative, and the notion that it is a man and his daughter exploring was completely lost on me.

I think in some ways, this is an interesting companion to Island, one of his other picture books, as it also tells the story of evolution... through rocks. It has the same sort of linear timeline narrative arc and includes what animals and plants existed throughout the Gran
Amy Nicole
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This informational book has rich vocabulary and beautiful illustrations. The book gives a walkthrough of the different layers of the Grand Canyon along with what wildlife and prehistoric fossils are found there. There is mention of canyons and rivers, erosion, ecological groups of animals and plants, animal adaptations, rock layers, fossils, prehistoric insects and animals, and also deeper information about the Inner Gorge, Grand Canyon Supergroup, Redwall Limestone, and Kaibab Formation.

This w
Angie
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a gorgeous picture book about the Grand Canyon. Jason Chin leads us on a hike through the canyon and through its history. We follow a father and daughter as they hike from one end of the canyon to the other and as they traverse the different ecological and geological areas of the canyon. The illustrations are breathtaking and super realistic. There are even cutouts that lead to pages describing the historical period of that level of the canyon. The backmatter is really impressive and ver ...more
Jenny
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a lovely book exploring the geography and majesty of the canyon!! The author takes us on a journey through the canyon, but also a trip through time to learn how the Grand Canyon was formed and how it may have appeared throughout the Earth's history. This was engaging and full of detailed information. The illustrations are remarkable. And it contains a wonderful bibliography in case you want to learn more.
Kifflie
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a spectacular work of nonfiction. Chin follows a father and daughter as they explore the various layers and climates of the Grand Canyon. It's terrific when the illustrations put the girl back in time as if she were living millions of years ago in the desert, or in an ocean. I think this is very effective. The book really gives you an idea of how astonishing the Grand Canyon really is.
Aliza Werner
Jason Chin's books are stunning, visually and textually. There is so much to look at in the pages' main illustrations and borders. Incredible imagination of what the Grand Canyon looked like over various periods of time over millions of years enhances the reader's appreciation and understanding. Excellent end notes extend the ideas in the main text.
Mary
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is filled with illustrations and information about the Grand Canyon and how it got to be the way it is. Full color illustrations on large pages make the book accessible even to those for whom the text may be too lengthy. Great for kids who are taking a road trip out to the Grand Canyon and want to know more before they get there.
Julie Kirchner
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing look at this natural wonder. It is an in depth look at the canyon, both present day and in the past. There is a wealth of information in the text accompanied by stunning illustrations. If this doesn’t win multiple awards, I will be shocked! Looking forward to sharing with my students who are analyzing books for the Mock Sibert Award.
Pamela
Lots of information about the canyon. Illustrations follow girl and her dad on hike, and imagine them there too at different geological times in the canyon’s past. Love the border of local flora and fauna and the foldout spread capturing in a small way the grandeur of the place. Technical info in text and back matter pretty advanced stuff.
Kim
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book for kids of all ages. Chin did a great job with the illustrations of Grand Canyon as well as illustrations of the fauna and flora. I love the way he organized the information. It actually could be used as a read aloud as well as a research book.
Linda Quinn
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a comprehensively researched, beautifully illustrated book that explains the ecology and geology of the Grand Canyon for children. It’s a beautiful book to read as an adult and I recommend it highly for children.
Play Book Tag: Grand Canyon / Jason Chin (4 stars) 1 10 Jan 08, 2018 10:37AM
Non-fiction and Photography book suggestions re: The Grand Canyon 1 3 Nov 27, 2017 10:02AM

• Chef Roy Choi and the Street Food Remix