Start by marking “Science Comics: Bats: Learning to Fly” as Want to Read:
Science Comics: Bats: Learning to Fly

Science Comics: Bats: Learning to Fly

(Science Comics)

In Bats, we follow a little brown bat whose wing is injured by humans on a nature hike. He is taken to a bat rehabilitation center where he meets many different species of bats. They teach him how they fly, what they eat, and where they like to live.

Every volume of Science Comics offers a complete introduction to a particular topic—dinosaurs, coral reefs, the solar system,
Published February 28th 2017 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Science Comics, please sign up.
Divesh Balamurugan a little brown bat has broken his wings by humans on a nature hike.
a little brown bat has broken his wings by humans on a nature hike.
Friendly human makes the little brown get to recover at the animal center. While the little brown bat was resting, he meets bat cousin from around the world. The little brown bat meets many different species of bats. They teach him how they fly, what they eat, and where they like to live. (less)

First Second Books
Feb 28, 2017 marked it as first-second-publications
Welcome to yet another Science Comics, an action-packed nonfiction graphic novel series for middle-grade readers! In this ultrasonic volume, Falynn Koch introduces us to a remarkable but misunderstood flying mammal: the bat!
Donalyn
The latest installment in the fantastic Science Comics series.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This is not just a graphic novel. Science comics are full of interesting information, detailed illustrations, use of topic and more.

In this book we meet a small brown bat that somehow ends up in an area where brown bats are not found. When he tries to eat insects flying around humans, he is swatted and ends up breaking a wing. The tour guide takes him to a vet who specializes and rescues bats. She sets his wing and puts him in a cages area. He is taken under the wing of Gray, a gray bat and meet
Dakota Morgan
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Bats are great! They eat bugs, pollinate flowers, and basically make life much better for us without our ever knowing. Unfortunately, they're not exactly fascinating enough to hold up an entire Science Comics entry.

Falynn Koch does a decent job of wrapping bat facts up in a story about an injured bat being taken to the vet. A lot of that framing story feels like it's just taking up space, though, making it pretty forgettable. "Hey new bat, we have to introduce you to all these other bat species
Jessica ☕
This graphic non-fiction is jam-packed with information about bats, and kids who love bats may enjoy the book. However, despite being a bat enthusiast myself, I struggled to get through it, because it was not holding my attention. It took a few tries.

This is difficult to rate. 5 stars for tons of bat info. 1 star for excitement. So... 3 stars? A good, dry book about bats.

I received this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
OpenBookSociety.com
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scott

Science Comics: Bats
By Falynn Koch
ISBN 978-1-62672-408-2
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Scott

Review

This is a beautiful alteration on the Science Comics line – a book on, well bats, aimed at the younger reader. Prior books have been aimed at a ‘tweenie’ audience, whereas this can easily be read by a younger reader. As stated before (and rather blatantly in the title) this subject on hand is bats and this is an informative, educational look at the only flying
Ms. Shoshana
I didn’t know durians were pollinated solely by bats! Bats can skip that one in the future!

Informative and colorful. Good for someone interested in beginning to learn about bats, although not useful as a reference because there’s no table of contents or index. I personally am not a big fan of non-fiction wrapped in a fictional coating – I would’ve preferred it if Dr. Reba was a real person, and there was some factual information about her in the end pages. The back had a short glossary and some
Becky B
Follow a little brown bat to a vet clinic who is injured by humans who misunderstand his actions. At the clinic the little brown bat learns all about other bats in the world, their eating habits, and where they like to hang out.

This is what I'll dub very informative fiction. The book is structured in a graphic novel fiction story, but it is loaded with tons of real facts and info on bats. And the overall purpose is definitely to inform. I'd recommend reading this one with The Bats Scientists for
Heidi
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really quite enjoyed this entry in the Science Comics series. The combination of a fictional story about a young bat who is injured by a human tourist with factual information about bats makes for an interesting read. The efforts of a young girl and a vet to help the young brown bat heal complement the interactions of the different kinds of bats. Lots of fascinating information about bats, how they fly, what they eat, where they live, provides plenty of great facts for eager young readers. The ...more
Paula
I like this graphic novel series called SCIENCE COMICS. They have a wide range of topics and being someone who is fascinated by bats, I was really drawn to this one. In this graphic nonfiction, a little brown bat is injured by a human and brought to a rehabilitation center where he is introduced to a wide variety of bats also being cared for. As he is introduced to his fellow bats we learn about the various species of bats who help us by pollinating plants, eradicating pesky insects, and plantin ...more
Flora
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Very cute, and actually quite informative (so it does live up to its name), and the facts are presented in a visually appealing, graphical manner. Some of the bat puns were a bit cheesy, but maybe younger children would have enjoyed them more than I did. I ended up enjoying the book more than I thought I would - much of the scientific information presented later in the book did more than simply giving facts about bats, but also discussed the impact of human activities on bats, and how humans and ...more
SaraKat
Wonderful tour of the types of bats in the world and the interesting niches they fill. The narrator is a bat and he goes through an injury and wildlife rehabilitation with a vet and a teenage intern. I learned a lot about bats that I didn't know. This book will appeal to kids because the parents are doofuses and the teenager is the hero. :)

Hmm, being a teen and being a bat do have their similarities! Most people don't understand you, you stay up all night, you sleep through the day.
Ellon
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-2019-bes
This book is nominated for the Black Eyed Susan award this year. I put off reading it a while because, while I enjoyed it, the Dinosaur science comic from last year took me a while to read due to all the information in it. This one had lots of great information too but it was a little easier to understand. I liked the way the graphic novel gave the information while telling the story of the injured bat, although a few times the information panels that were separate from the story broke up the st ...more
Christa  Seeley
This is the second volume of the Science Comics series that I've read (the other being Flying Machines) and this was much better. The narrative structure was much more engaging. Felt like I was reading the story of Little Brown Bat with some extra facts sprinkled in, rather than just an illustrated chapter of a textbook. I think this would be a great comic for kids to help them learn about the different kinds of bats and the important role they have in our world.
Fernanda Fadel
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The idea of the science comics is really neat, to teach science in a fun way. The drawings are really good. I do learn new things with every comic I read.
BUT I still think they lack a story line. With very few exceptions, it feels like reading a normal school book just with more pictures, which at times makes the comic a bit boring. I will still read all of them, but i wish there were more actual stories inserted among all the facts.
Melissa
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Everything you ever wanted to know about bats in one easy-to-read in one-sitting graphic novel! I did feel like I already knew everything presented here, but it would be fascinating to interested children, for sure. I especially liked the set up of someone inadvertently harming a bat in panic, and the bat going to a specialist to heal up and be released back in the wild, and the teenager volunteering to help there too! A creative way to learn more about bats.
Shiloh Peacemaker
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I came across this interesting graphic novel in the Delaware Library, Orange branch. It was awesome! I just devoured it. It was so informational as well as it had a great story line. I will definitely reading more graphic novels from group, as I saw there were 3 others. :)

Plus I will be visiting the Delaware Library, Orange branch again, even though it is 30 minutes away from my home. It was beautiful there!
Marilyn
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I picked this up on impulse while at an event and am really glad I discovered it. Nice mix of basic and advanced information and fun little facts, with just enough narrative to keep things moving and get in some lessons on humans and bats co-existing. I'll be checking out the rest of the series, and recommending we pick up a copy of this one for the local nature center.
Mary Lee
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this! I'm ordering the entire Science Comics (Get to Know Your Universe) series for my classroom. Titles include Dinosaurs, Volcanoes, Coral Reefs, Flying Machines, and coming up is Plagues. It's a series, but not written/illustrated by the same teams, so each book is unique. No cookie-cutter here!
LouLou
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read review in its entirety at http://www.compassbookratings.com/rev...

Who knew bats are so cool?! Publisher First Second adds another awesome book to their Science Comics series with Science Comics: Bats: Learning to Fly.

With two to five full color panels on each page, illustrator Falynn Koch, engagingly exhibits a Little Brown Bat’s escapades. Facts are pleasingly integrated with the storyline when an accidental injury sends this Little Brown Bat to a rehabilitation center specializing in bat
I liked bats before. Now I love them! Lil' brown bat gets injured and at the animal rescue hospital he meets all different kinds of bats and learns bat stats and facts. For a graphic novel format, this is sure full of info!
Sarah Easton Miller
Fun way to learn about bats.
Katie
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jgn
This book is so great, it makes me want to buy all the Science Comics. I learned that bats eat more things than just fruit and insects. Bats are awesome!
Kristin
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent. A blend of fiction and nonfiction that primarily serves as an informational text.
Margaux
I'll be recommending these comics everywhere. Very cute, there's a plot, and I actually learned quite a bit (although I wasn't trying, I swear).
wildct2003
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good information and good use of relevant storyline in the book.
Beckie
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story and very informative.
FG
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice for learning
Amber
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun graphic novel to help you learn about bats. It had a good story and message about how we as humans need to share the Earth with bats and help prevent them becoming extinct.
Awjtf
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I loved this book! A great way to learn!

• Science Comics: Dinosaurs: Fossils and Feathers
  • The Tapir Scientist: Saving South America's Largest Mammal
  • The Blue Whale
  • Giant Squid
  • The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs: A Scientific Mystery
  • Alamo All-Stars (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #6)
  • Eruption! Volcanoes and the Science of Saving Lives
  • Rivers of Sunlight: How the Sun Moves Water Around the Earth
  • The Mushroom Fan Club
  • How to Be an Elephant
  • Crow Smarts: Inside the Brain of the World's Brightest Bird

Science Comics (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Science Comics: The Brain: The Ultimate Thinking Machine