Start by marking “The Doll's Eye” as Want to Read:
The Doll's Eye

The Doll's Eye

All Hadley wants is for everything to go back to the way it used to be—back when she didn’t have to share her mother with her stepfather and stepbrother. Back when she wasn't forced to live in a musty, decomposing house. Back when she had a life in the city with her friends.

As Hadley whiles away what’s left of her summer, exploring the nearby woods and splittin
Published February 28th 2017 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about The Doll's Eye, please sign up.
Shloka I say it would go more in the mystery section since it’s not based as a fantasy.Hadley wishes for something and gets it right? But we wanna know how…moreI say it would go more in the mystery section since it’s not based as a fantasy.Hadley wishes for something and gets it right? But we wanna know how that works! Also I’m not completely done the book so this is my perspective on where the right place for it to go.It also talks about Hadley having these weird dreams about this little girl wishing something and coming to true.What I think about that part is the old people who lived in That house before Hadley’s family.Hope you can get an answer from these things!

Sincerely,
Shloka.R(less)

Zyra
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Suze Lavender
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hadley misses the way she and her mother used to be. They've recently moved out of their apartment in the big city and Hadley now has to share her mother with a stepfather and stepbrother. The house they moved into is in the suburbs. It isn't a pleasant place and it constantly gives Hadley an uneasy feeling. She longs for a warm and comfortable home, but instead she has to get used to a house that's musty and chilly. She doesn't feel completely at ease in her new surroundings and spending time w ...more
Martha Martin
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! As an elementary teacher librarian, I'm constantly asked for "scary" books by middle graders, and this book really delivers. The images are certifiably creepy -- an eye rolling around on the floor is just one example -- and the historical backstory and mysterious elements ramp up the "freaky" factor. My students already loved Cohen's previous book, The Inn Between, and I can't wait to share this one! Sooo good!
Debbie Ohi
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Deliciously creepy; I read this in two sittings and was inspired to some fan art. Read this with the lights on!
Alissa
Apr 22, 2019 added it
Here's a throwback question for you:

Remember That One Episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark? You know the one I mean. The one with the creepy door in the attic that leads to...somewhere else. The one where the main character's best friend gets trapped inside the dollhouse that looks exactly like the actual house (complete with creepy attic door) and starts to get transformed into a doll. And the same thing almost happens to the main character, except she is, fortunately, smart enough to f
Sumbal Saba
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
That ending 0_0
Ms. Yingling
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
E ARC from Netgalley.com

Hadley isn't thrilled to be moved from her home in the city to a large, spooky house in the coutry. Her new stepfather, Ed, is okay, but his son Isaac is young, annoying, and allergic to everything, so they can't have peanut butter or wheat products in the house. There is a nice but somewhat creepy older lady, Althea, living in an apartment above the garage. Hadley finds a dollhouse in the attic, along with a doll's eye, and it starts granting her wishes. Firs
Karen
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh to be able to choose half stars. A 4.5 for sure. From the opening page Cohen creates a sense of foreboding that was quite delicious. The historical scenes added depth and understanding to the story and were wonderfully written. I had to read the last half of the book in one sitting. A creepy middle grade read with an unexpected ending. Young readers drawn to creepy will love it.
Abby Pechin
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn't realize this was supposed to be a children's book until I checked it out from the library. However, it was a creepy little romp that kept me entertained. It is extremely easy to read and I was able to finish it within an hour because the writing was large and there were a few pictures. I really enjoyed this novel, and any little girl who is into haunted, gothic, or creepy stories would enjoy it as well!
Megan
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is another Silver Birch nominee and is a great piece of suspense/horror for this age group. It's creepy enough to engage but not over the top scary. This is a wonderful book.
Angela
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Creepy, twisty, scary. Sooooo good!
Kim
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute read that was just slightly spooky. Nice ending.
Rachel
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Normally, I try to sell you on every scary book that I bring. It doesn’t take much. Usually, reading a scary part of the book aloud works. But guys and girls, I can’t do that with this one. There isn’t just one part of this story that is creepy. It’s the whole darn thing.

Hadley has just moved into a new house with her mom, stepdad and stepbrother. She’s still adjusting to the idea of having to share her mom. It is not going well. One night, while trying to sleep in her new room, a do
Shelley Thompson
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The Doll's Eye is a delightful gluten & dairy-free middle grade novel. It has just the right amount of creepy, and would make a perfect modern day episode of Twilight Zone. A girl and her new family move to a new house in a new city. She finds a dollhouse in the attic and a glass eye marble, and then things are never quite the same. Can the upstairs neighbor, Granny, help? Is her new friend who loves bugs able to save her? Along with the present day, the story tells the narrative of the litt ...more
Lily Luna
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AEK7300
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
The way this story is told, is interesting and spooky.
There is the story of Hadley, who's mother's remarriage brings about many changes to her life, including a move from their city apartment to an old house in the suburbs. Hadley is unhappy with all the changes and wishes for things to be like they were before. But wishes don't always come true in the way you envisioned!
Then there is the historical back story of the girl who lived in the old house years ago before Hadley. She becomes fas
Linda
I read this book because a student recommended it to me. It is a story about a girl whose mother remarries and they moved into a spooky old house. When noises in the attice wake her during the night, Hadley goes up to the attic and finds an old doll house. She brings it downstairs and discovers some strange dolls in the doll house. Also, it is revealed to her that the previous residents of the house have disappeared. When Hadley innocently wishes that it could just be her and her mom again, this ...more
Cee
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canlit-pub-2017
The Doll's Eye is a creepy page turner that will appeal to kids who love spooky stories. Hadley and her mother move into a dilapidated old farmhouse with Mom's new boyfriend Ed and his son Isaac. Hadley discovers a beautiful hand blown glass doll's eye and an antique doll house version of their house. Strange coincidences abound and Hadley must try and be brave in the face of the evidence that her house is haunted. The supernatural elements are well explained in the backstory of the glass eye an ...more
Someone
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Doll’s Eye, by Marina Cohen, is about a girl who moved into a creaky, old house with her mother and her new stepdad and step brother. She then finds a glass doll eye, and realizes this house is more darker than she thought. When she holds the eye close to her one night, her life changes forever. This book was a really fun and scary read. Once you start reading, you can never stop. Each page is so surprising and cliff hanging, that you just have to read the next. This book is perfect for peop ...more
Julie Guzzetta
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
This book was okay. It was creepy, interesting, a quick read, and overall not really my thing. But that ending took me by surprise! And I kind of liked it!! It actually made me like the book a little better than I had initially.

I'm typically the type of person that wants resolution at the end of a story - that's usually when I'm most satisfied with my reading experience. However, the ending to this book isn't necessarily wrapped up in a neat bow, but it was a fascinating ending.
Sherrie
A dark and twisted middle grade read that is perfect for the month of October. When Hadley moves into a new home and discovers and old dollhouse she learns firsthand what that old adage “ be careful what you wish for means”. She doesn’t realize what she had until it’s gone and she’s desperate for her old life. Spooky and unsettling, perfect for cold, dark fall nights.
Sarita
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Creepy middle grade read. Hadley is not happy about moving in a new house with her stepdad and stepbrother. Even worse, her mother never seems to have time anymore. When she finds a creepy dollhouse, Hadley makes a wish. But soon, Hadley realizes the horrible truth behind the house and that she might not really want what she wished for.
Andrew
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a good horror book. It has no flaws at all and is amazing. Also, it has lots of suspence and figurative language. There a some spots when the main character is put in tough spots. A really good component that all books should have is making the main character go through really tough spots that no one would ever expect.
Niki
A simple, spooky story appealing to grades 3-5, The Doll's Eye has a fantastic cover and beautiful artwork sprinkled throughout. Hadley and her mom move to an old house with her new step-family, but the special dollhouse and dolls that Hadley finds cause more trouble than good. Be careful what you wish for...

Short-listed for the 2019 MYRCA Sundog.
Lisa Day
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Creepy. It was not scary enough that I had to keep the lights on, but I am hesitant to share it with the little people in my life. This is the second Marina Cohen book I have read (loved Inn Between), and each have offered really cool concepts with endings I didn't figure out.
Carol Lance
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Be careful what you wish for,,,, it might just come true

Hadley didn't like sharing her mom with her new family. When they move into a new house and she finds a glass eye, she stuffs it into her pocket.

What happens next will give you the chills.

@forestofreading @ola
Nakia
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Be careful what you wish for! I thoroughly enjoyed this story; it was delightfully creepy and I look forward to reading more of the author's books. The style is reminiscent of R.L. Stine and I can't wait for my children to read it.
Brystan
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dang. This book has a dark ending for a middle grade novel. Anybody who liked “Coraline” will probably also enjoy this book.
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
WARNING! If you don't like dolls, never touch or even think about this book. Just move on and never read this again. But if your not afraid of dolls you might be after reading this book.
Allanna
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
« previous 1 3 next »

• Root Beer Candy and Other Miracles
  • The Secrets of Eastcliff-by-the-Sea: The Story of Annaliese Easterling  Throckmorton, Her Simply Remarkable Sock Monkey
  • Ivy (Ivy, #1)
  • Spirits of New Orleans: Voodoo Curses, Vampire Legends and Cities of the Dead
  • The Doll Graveyard: A Hauntings Novel
  • Wed Wabbit
  • Clutch
  • My Brother Is A Superhero (My Brother is a Superhero, #1)
  • Meet the Bigfeet (The Yeti Files, #1)
  • Born With: Erika & Gianni