Start by marking “Go Big or Go Gnome!” as Want to Read:
Go Big or Go Gnome!

Go Big or Go Gnome!

Laugh your whiskers off with Albert the Gnome in this charming and funny picture book about friendship, self-acceptance — and beards!

A beard is the biggest point of pride for a Gnome, but poor Al can't sprout a single whisker. Each year, Al feels left out of the Beards International Gnome-athalon, B.I.G.

So Al decides to go BIG or go Gnome! It’s a close shave, but with a hi
Published March 14th 2017 by Imprint (first published March 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Go Big or Go Gnome!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go Big or Go Gnome!

Start your review of Go Big or Go Gnome!
Sara Grochowski
Very cute! Will pair well with all the other beard-love books out there.
D'Iberville Library
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
So puntastic! Absolutely adorable story of a little gnome who just cannot grow a beard and the B.I.G (Beards International Gnome-athlon) festival has arrived. Can Al fool the judge to win a trophy this year? Gnomebody knows!

Highly recommended! Especially for pun lovers!
Slaa!!!
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The actual cutest/best ever.
Danielle
Jul 13, 2017 added it
Shelves: picture-books
Loads of fun and adorable illustrations.
Juli Anna
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute and I loved all the wordplay. My biggest complaint is just a systemic complaint of competitions being a major plot device in picture books, but oh well.
Jessica
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The title got me interested but the whimsical and bright illustrations kept me reading this story of one gnome trying to find his place in his community. I want to use this title for a gnome, garden, or mythical creature party.
Jana
This fun picture book tells the story of Albert, a little gnome who is unable to grow a beard. All the other gnomes grow huge beards, and even have special contests for beards. When Al is unable to fake a beard, he leaves and goes home. It isn't long before his true talent becomes apparent to everyone. The book has a good message for young readers to be true to themselves and to not become discouraged. Everyone has unique talents and abilities. Charming, colorful illustrations make this a terrif ...more
Beth Kakuma-Depew
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2017
A very quirky picture book set in a pastoral fantasy village that looks a lot like a suburb (even down to the mostly white, with a few brown faces demographic). The professional reviews point out that the writing is weak. But I love the small details of the art, and the ending is the best! It leaves open the story to more possible villages of gnomes, (or gnomettes). Great first fantasy story for preschoolers.
Diane
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Poor Albert the Gnome. He can't grow a beard. This makes it impossible for him to compete in the biggest event of the year: the Beards International Gnome-athlon. Best friend, Gnorm, tries to help, but things don't go quite as they planned. Could it be that Al has an even better talent to contribute to everygnome?
Kat Harrison
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Go Big or Go Gnome" has a little something for readers of all ages: puns for the parents and tongue-tumbling alliteration for all. While Al, the beardless gnome, is the intended star of this literary show - he's less memorable than the magical world Mayer and Horton were able to create, with punchy text and a very pleasant platter of beard-forward illustrations. ...more
Caroline Herfindahl
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What is a gnome to do when he is the only one who can’t grow a beard, especially when the B.I.Ggest gnome event is coming up - the Beards International Gnome-athon? Al tries everything to try to enter the contest and along the way discovers his real beard talents. This is a fun story full of delightful illustrations that my story time children loved!
Jennybeast
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love gnomes, and I'm glad that there's a picture book out there, but man, it seems hard to do gnomes well. This is more of a beard appreciation story than anything else... but I did really like the illustrations, even if the story was a little odd. ...more
Cat
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What a super adoragnome book! I'm obsessed with gnomes and once I saw this book at work I knew I had to read it.

The plot sort of reminded me of Edward Scissorhands, but that's ok :)

The artwork is really cute and simple. Definitely perfect for the story!
Brandy Shark
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books
(First book of 2018!)

If I could give this book more than five stars, I would. The art, the puns, the word play. Al becoming a mini-Edward Scissorhands. This book is practically perfect in every way, I can't wait to see more from this universe (I hope).
Allison
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
LOVE the illustrations, story's pretty cute too. ...more
Laine
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
wasn't a super fan of the ending of the story, but the rest was really cute. (the dedication was ace btw. the knights that say NI!) ...more
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Super cute! A bit long for storytime, but this book would be a hit with first and second graders!
Rachel
Fun message about finding your own talents, have some fun play on words with beard/mustashe humor. Some of the pages the text is chaotic and does not flow well. Fun illustrations.
Jackie Ostrowicki
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eva-and-me
Love the illustrations; very detailed and whimsical.
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Lots of beard jokes making for adult humor, not sure about kids understanding the jokes.
Haley Shaffer
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Puns
Steph
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gnomes!
A.M.
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
omg this was so cute I have totally got to get this book - not even for my niblings man, like, just for me :D
Karen
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well worth reading for the illustrations. The love interest is an odd touch in a book newly published in 2017, but the plot's very cute otherwise. ...more
MaryLibrarianOH
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A beardless gnome can't enter the best beard contest and feels left out. He tries a few fake beards until he finds his true way of helping his friends. ...more
Rhianna
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: never-grow-up
Well this is just too freaking cute. I'm not sure if the plot is exactly well defined, but who would dare question adorable gnomes and their quest for epic beardom?! ...more
emyrose8
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice pictures, nice enough story about a gnome who can't grow a beard trying to enter a beard competition with all his other gnome friends. ...more
Abraham
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
To me, gnomes are smelly, closed-minded creatures -- not without their charm but not cutesy, sickly sweet like what you'll find in this book. ...more
Stacia Leigh
Super cute illustrations with a cute story about gnomes and beards. Not sure what happened with the ending though.
Emily Ross
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A sweet story of being different and learning to embrace who you are!

• Journey
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • A Ball for Daisy