Start by marking “Star Scouts” as Want to Read:

(Star Scouts #1)

Published March 21st 2017 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Star Scouts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Scouts

Krista Regester
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm not exactly sure why it took me so long to finish this.. at some points it seemed that there was too much repetition when it came to the text. I liked the first 30 or so pages a lot and then it just dragged on. Jokes seemed to lack actual humor but maybe that's just me!
First Second Books
Mar 21, 2017 marked it as first-second-publications
Being the ‘new kid’ is tough. Especially when you are a girl like Avani who’d rather go on an adventure instead of doing makeovers and talking about boys. But all is well when Avani gets abducted by aliens and finally finds the one place in the universe where she fits in: in an intergalactic scouting troop. An exciting story about teamwork and finding your own groove!
Mehsi
A girl gets teleported to space and is initiated in the best scout club ever: Star Scouts!

I have been meaning to read this book for some months now, never had the chance, until yesterday! I am quite delighted I had the chance to read this one, as it was just so much fun. I wish my scoutdays were as fun as Avani's. Robots? Space suits? Building fun and exciting projects?

It all starts when Mabel, our alien, accidentally targets on Avani and teleports her to her space home. Yup, but thankfully bot
Kazia
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gn-comics
This was really lovely! Unfortunately, I'm taking points off for the wedgie jokes. I get how they joke is *supposed* to land, but it manifests itself in kids getting their butts pinched/being touched without consent, and I'm just not here for that.
Lola
I decided to read this book because scouts are not popular characters in fiction. You barely hear about them in real life either. And yet, I’m really curious about them.

Also, when I was eleven, I went to three scout meetings but I never joined because I hadn’t been with them since the beginning of the year and I felt like I was crashing a party at times since I didn’t know anything and knew none of the songs and traditions.

But now I sort of regret not sticking with it and actually learning stuf
Cecelia
Middle grade science fiction graphic novel. Those six words = auto-read in my world. I love middle grade books, I love science fiction and fantasy, and when you put them together, in a graphic novel format? I am here for it. Add in a diverse girl as the main character, and Mike Lawrence’s solo graphic novel debut Star Scouts became a #1 priority in my to-be-read (TBR) pile.

Avani is struggling to fit in at her Flower Scouts troup and new school when she’s accidentally teleported to alien Mabel’s
Alison
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this graphic novel and hope it becomes a series. I took off a star because I felt the characters were a bit too bully-ish without apology. I also liked the diversity inclusion without making a big deal about it - characters of color, single dad, gay space parents.
Mary
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun read! Avani is having trouble fitting in with her scout group, finding that she doesn't have much in common with the other members (so she thinks). One day she is accidentally teleported to another scout group - in space! Mabel and her troop of aliens are members of the Star Scouts and welcome Avani to their ranks. Now, every week when her father thinks she is at Flower Scouts she's actually trying to earn badges in robotics, jetpacks, and moon rocks. There are great lessons ...more
Jessica Haider
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Star Scouts is a middle grade sci-fi graphic novel about Avani, an Indian-American girl who has just moved to a new town with her dad and is having trouble fitting in at school and in her flower scout troop. When she is accidentally teleported aboard an alien space craft she discovers a place she fits in: the Star Scout troop.

This was cute. My 8 year old enjoyed it and for the most part it was age appropriate. There was some butt/fart/wedgie humor so maybe that's part of the reason. :) He asked
Ames Public Library Youth Services
5 stars. This was so much fun! Avani is the new kid in town, and while unsuccessfully trying to make new friends, gets abducted by aliens. And those aliens are a lot more like her than the humans in her new town!

There are some stereotypical characters in this book, but there is also a lot of heart and humor, with forgiveness winning the day. Great fun for upper elementary and here's hoping for a sequel! JP
OpenBookSociety.com
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scott

By Mike Lawrence
ISBN 978-1-62672-280-4
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Scott

Review:

Star Scouts by Mike Lawrence is a heart-warming tale of an intergalactic misfit scouting group at the Star Scout Andromeda Camp, where competition and humanism play out. A universe in which the badges you can get are in teleportation, lasers, robotics and more (of course, `xenoscatology is a badge!) and the graphic novel captures the feel of a ‘scouts group’ to a t
Sharon Tyler
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Star Scouts is a children's graphic novel by Mike Lawrence, and is currently scheduled for release on March 21 2017. Avani is the new kid in town, and she’s not happy about it. Everyone in school thinks she’s weird, especially the girls in her Flower Scouts troop. Is it so weird to think scouting should be about fun and adventure, not about makeovers and boys, boys, boys? But everything changes when Avani is “accidentally” abducted by a spunky alien named Mabel. Mabel is a scout too, a Star Scou ...more
Siina
Sep 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Star Scouts is a cute scouts themed comic and you can never have enough of those! Avani is a new kid in town and she has hard time finding her place and fitting in. Her dad makes her join the girl scouts, but the girls are more about girly things and boys than adventures and whatnot. An alien girl named Mabel accidentally teleports Avani to alien scouts group that's way more interesting. The group needs to find the power of cooperation and friendship and what better way than to go on an adventur ...more
Kristin
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
The STAR SCOUTS adventures begin thanks to a happy accident, and from then on there’s no stopping Avani Patel. Mike Lawrence’s STAR SCOUTS, a new graphic novel from First Second, recommended for ages 7-12, has everything kids love about middle grade stories. A diverse host of alien beings, lots of attitude from the heroes, fart jokes, and a parent who seems oblivious to strange goings-on and doesn’t question odd wording on permission slips for a week of sleep-away camp. See? Everything!

The actio
Carla Johnson-Hicks
I definitely agree with Avani, I would rather be a Star Scout than a Flower Scout. This is a great book for young girls. When Avani's father enrolls her in Flower Scouts to meet new friends, it does the opposite. Most of the girls think Avani is a hick because she is not interested in boys, makeup and music from the newest boy idol. When she accidentally gets transported by Mable to her planet, she joins Star Scouts. Mabel transports her each week for meetings. When she gets the opportunity to g ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Lawrence, Mike Star Scouts 185 pages. First Second, 2017. $15.00. Language: G ( 0 swears) ; Mature Content: G ; Violence: G. GRAPHIC NOVEL

Avani is a young girl who doesn't fit in, especially in her Flower Scout troup. When an alien from outer space accidentally transports her to her ship, Avani meets Mabel. Mabel is a scout too, but a Star Scout. Avani finds Star Scouting much more interesting than Flower Scouts and sneaks away to join her friend, and her new troup. When it comes time for the an
Diane
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Avani is the new girl in school and is having trouble fitting in. Her father signs her up for Flower Scouts, hoping it will help her make friends. But she doesn't have much in common with the girls in Flower Scouts. After all, Avani likes rodeos and animals and all the Flower Scouts seem to think about is makeup and boys.

Things change when Avani is accidentally transported to Mabel's world (she was trying to collect a newt for her Star Scout collection badge.) Mabel and Avani become friends and
Tracey
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
reviewed from egalley (thanks to netgalley)

Children's graphic novel (less-pink girls, everyday diversity, cool sci-fi/alien badges). Terrific new series (I hope it becomes a series!) starring a Hindi girl who doesn't care for the makeup tips and decoupage topics discussed by her flower scout troup and finds something better when she is accidentally teleported by a star scout. You don't actually learn real science from the book, but it does portray STEM topics like robotics and engineering in a p
Colette
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels

But everything changes when Avani is “accidentally” abducted by a spunky alien named Mabel. Mabel is a scout too—a Star Scout. Collecting alien specimens (like Avani) goes with the territory, along with teleportation and jetpack racing. Avani
Nicole
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Second, 2017
Science Fiction/Graphic Novel
187 pages
Recommended for grades 3-6

When Avani is accidentally transported to space by an alien named Mabel, she is in for an eye opening adventure!
Avani doesn't fit in with the girls in her new school, and the Flower Scouts are not her kind of girls. Too much talk about boys and make-up, and no one interested in rodeos or barrel racing (except the girl she overlooks, but more on her in the next book I assume).
Avani becomes friends with some Star Sco
Diane
I received a copy of this book through the Goodreads Giveaway Program.

My granddaughters and I read it together over the course of several sittings. They really enjoyed it and so did I. The illustrations are great and the dialogue is short and snappy. Plus they could relate to the ideas that making friends can be difficult and not everyone gets along all the time. The idea of keeping a secret from Avani's dad was great...something all children aspire to!

We all agreed we'd skip tasting Triple-Stew
Kate
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the best kids graphic novel I’ve read in a long time. The characters faces are so expressive and the artwork really adds to the story. The story is about a young girl who moves to a new town and her dad enrolls her in flower scouts to help her make friends. The problem is, Avani doesn’t want to decoupage and gossip, she’d much rather use her brains and bravery. Luckily, a nearby star scout accidentally teleports Avani instead of a newt onto her space ship and invites her to become a part ...more
Anne
I thoroughly enjoyed this graphic novel.
Avani has moved from the country into the city and is having a hard time fitting in. The girls in her Flower Scouts troop only seem to want to talk about boys, clothes, and makeup. She would rather talk about riding horses and throwing lassos. One day, an intergalactic scout accidentally beams Avani up to her home. They quickly become friends and Avani joins the Star Scouts!
Love the characters, love the illustrations. Will be very appealing to st
Leslie
this one hit all the right notes: aesthetics, humor, story, diversity.

It's strong in its balance of image- and text-based storytelling.
It excels in providing both "content" and "entertainment."
It's a friendship story with a courageous, resourceful heroine.
It's Zita meets Roller Girl meets all the best comedic timing for jokes involving methane and (un)fortunate acronyms.

this is a guilt-free purchase comic book purchase right here.
Lindsey Sanford
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We finished this book yesterday - and it was such a great book to read. I read it with my 5 year old daughter, who ate this book up like it was candy. It has wonderful visual design, a great story that isn't overly serious but still provides a great look at positive life lessons. It's silly, and humorous, and has a wonderful female protagonist that is relatable regardless of your age or gender. Highly recommend for any age.
H
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming little graphic novel for grades 3-5 about Avani Patel, a girl who has moved to a new school and found herself in a new scout troop where she just doesn't fit in - cause the girls are super boy crazy and Avani loves rodeo and horses. When Mabel, an alien "Star Scout" accidentally transports "New Kid" Avani instead a a "Newt" for her Star Scouts badge, Avani finds herself with a new scout troop of aliens who fit her better than her earth bound troop. Fun and sweet.
Ellen
The cute and fun story of an Earth Girl, Avani Patel, who struggles to make friends in her new school until she's accidentally abducted by aliens and hooks up with a misfit troop of star scouts. It's not earth-shattering or original, but still well-done and enjoyable. I've been meaning to check this one out for a while, and I'm glad I did. Lawrence's characters burst off the page with personality; it's one of the most expressive styles I've seen, not to mention glossy and gorgeous.
Lynn
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Avani is having a hard time adjusting to her new school and is not very interested in the local Flower Scout Troop. Accidentally teleported to space, she finds much more fun in the Star Scout troop and a friend in Mabel whose teleporting skills are a bit wonky. Summer Camp in space and a wild variety of badges are a whole new experience!

Really fun and imaginative with terrific illustrations. I loved how Avani's rodeo skills come into play and how she eventually recruits another scout.
paula
The misery of starting a new school is even more bleak for Avani, who has something of an oppositional streak to begin with. But things look up when she is accidentally teleported to a planet far far away by friendly blue Mabel, who is trying to get her Star Scouts teleportation badge.

Avani joins the Star Scouts, where she doesn't have to fit in to belong. Nice. And when she makes friends with the other nonconformist back home, she recruits another scout!
Mary Ann
Avani Patel is having trouble in her new school, but life becomes much more interesting when she's abducted by a cheerful blue alien named Mabel. Avani joins Mabel’s group of friends in their Star Scouts troop as they earn badges in teleporting, jetpack racing and “xenoscatology” (yep, identifying alien poops). Kids will love the adventure, humor and especially Avani’s spunky character, as she discovers that she doesn’t have to fit in to find friends.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Red's Planet (Red's Planet #1)
  • Sanity & Tallulah
  • The Time Museum (Time Museum, #1)
  • One Trick Pony
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1)
  • Saving the Whole Wide World (HiLo, #2)
  • Paths & Portals (Secret Coders, #2)
  • Compass South (Four Points #1)
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • The Great Art Caper
  • Dragons Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette, #2)
  • The Dam Keeper (Dam Keeper, #1)
  • The Adventures of John Blake: Mystery of the Ghost Ship
  • The Thief and the Sword (Cleopatra in Space, #2)
Mike always wanted to be a superhero and an artist when he grew up. While he never developed super powers, he did become an artist after being exposed to gamma radiation at the University of Oregon.

Star Scouts (3 books)
  • The League of Lasers (Star Scouts, #2)
  • The Invasion of the Scuttlebots (Star Scouts, #3)