Start by marking “The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)

The Stone Heart

(The Nameless City #2)

Kaidu and Rat have only just recovered from the assassination attempt on the General of All Blades when more chaos breaks loose in the Nameless City: deep conflicts within the Dao nation are making it impossible to find a political solution for the disputed territory of the City itself.

To complicate things further, Kaidu is fairly certain he's stumbled on a formula for the
Published April 4th 2017 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about The Stone Heart, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
anna Hey Ellis! Faith Erin Hicks is writing/sketching out the third book (she shares updates on her Instagram). So, The Nameless City & The Stone Heart…moreHey Ellis! Faith Erin Hicks is writing/sketching out the third book (she shares updates on her Instagram). So, The Nameless City & The Stone Heart will be a trilogy! (less)
Chelsea The Nameless City is the first book. The Stone Heart is the second.

Start your review of The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
Lola
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This sequel to The Nameless City is as addictive as its predecessor. I’m not one for exaggeratedly long series, but I wouldn’t mind reading ten books in this series. I’m even sad this adventure will end after the next book.

The story continues with Kaidu’s father putting his efforts into his project to assure peace in the Nameless City. But the general’s son is against it and will do everything possible to make sure the project never flourishes.

Kaidu and Rat play a slightly less important role
Heidi The Reader
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Nameless City graphic novels are excellent for kids aged 10 to 14. The Stone Heart like The Nameless City is well drawn with diverse characters and a plot that can be followed by young readers. It presents the difficulties of balancing cultural expectations, politics, and belonging with the natural emotions of friendship and understanding.

The kids, Kai and Rat, are from completely different social castes, but it doesn't matter to them. If only the rest of the world didn't live with
David Schaafsma
I’m loving this series especially designed for middle grade readers, The Nameless City, set in 13th century China, Hicks’s most challenging project thus far. I am especially a big fan of her Friends with Boys, which is this sweet, intimate family-based story, and The Adventures of Supergirl, which is hilarious. So this is completely different! And I normally prefer little intimate indie projects, but since I am already familiar with Hicks’s style and sensibilities, I knew I would like this.

So
First Second Books
Apr 04, 2017 marked it as first-second-publications
This thrilling continuation of the series is jam-packed with adventure! Kaidu and Rat now have to deal with conflicts within the Dao nation and a possible war. To make matters worse, Kaidu finds a formula for a mysterious weapon that may lead to complete chaos.
Lata
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story gets dark in this book. Kai and Rat are still hanging out together, racing and eating, while Kai's father and the General of Blades continue efforts to put together a council for the Nameless City with representation from the different peoples of the City.
The General's son resents the change to all his expectations and plans, and takes matters into his own hands. Meanwhile, it looks like Mura is more than just a wicked good fighter, and it's great how Faith Erin Hicks reveals how
Jennifer Y.
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4 1/2 Stars Review to come
Nancy
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review can also be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2018/09/1...

Faith Erin Hicks’s second book in her The Nameless City trilogy shines!

In the first book we were introduced to the fictional city Daidu, aka Dandoa, named by the Dao’s, the most recent conquering nation. However, due to centuries of conquest, the inhabitants of many different nationalities simply call it The Nameless City. This politically important Asian city sits alongside a mountain pass and is the only route to
Molly
I somehow read this without realizing that it was the second volume in a trilogy, so now I am going to have to go back and read the first. Even without the background of the first volume, the story was easy enough to follow. Faith Erin Hicks rarely disappoints me with her art and stories, and this was no exception. Sort of a political thriller, but also a story about friendship and the importance of striving to do the right thing (even when it's dangerous or difficult). Really excited to read ...more
David
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lots of unexpected turns and deep thoughts to ponder. I can't wait for Book 3!
Agnė
3.5 out of 5

The Stone Heart, the second graphic novel in The Nameless City trilogy, is an engaging continuation of the story with the same lovable characters and an expressive and dynamic artwork:

While the previous volume, The Nameless City, could have easily passed for a standalone, The Stone Heart feels more like a preparation for the next volume as it ends in a huge cliffhanger and its plot is a little bit thinner than the series opener's. However, the somewhat slower pace in the second book
Tasha
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The second book in The Nameless City, this book continues the story of Kaidu and Rat as the political situation grows even tenser in the city. The Dao nation is exploring new paths to solidify peace, but factions within are seeing their personal plans for power evaporating. Soon violence becomes the solution within the Dao factions and someone new is in power. Meanwhile, Kaidu and Rat are discovering that the monks that raised Rat may have the key to the power that the original founders of the ...more
Whitney
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Popsugar Reading Prompt: A book with a three word title
Matthew
School, School, School is the current playlist in my life and the fact that it has taken me over a month to finish this graphic novel showcase my enthusiasm for the second volume. I do not hate it but for sure the first half of the graphic novel I found it to be a bit boring and slow but it pays off towards the end as the sh%t hits the fans. This is a phenomenal middle grade graphic novel series as it really digs into themes of democracy, imperialism, and colonialism in this fictional Asian ...more
Einas Alhamali
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait for the finale
Joe Santoro
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When the only complaint one can think of is being annoyed that it's going to be too long until the next installment, one knows one has read a good book :).

This sequel is just as interesting and compelling as the first... I only regret that it is only a trilogy.. there is so much that could be written here!
Jared Pechacek
Man. Where to begin?
On most levels, The Stone Heart works. Faith Erin Hicks is a thoughtful, dynamic cartoonist telling a good story. I would love to recommend it to anyone and everyone. But.
Any discussion of The Stone Heart has to take into account that Hicks, a white Canadian woman, has chosen to tell her story in a quasi-Chinese setting. That isn't an automatic strike against the book. The problem is that, as many Asian creators have called her on, much the setting is really just aesthetic.
Maggie Gordon
I adore Faith Erin Hicks' work, and the Nameless City volumes are her strongest releases so far. Having followed her progress for quite a long time, it's wonderful to see just how strong her artistry has gotten. The Stone Heart is a gorgeous book with intricately illustrated backgrounds and characters with delightful sense of movement.

Story-wise, it continues directly from the first volume. Rat and Kaidu are no longer secret friends, and the General of All-Blades and Kaidu's father are hard at
Dakota Morgan
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Stone Heart is a rock solid entry in The Nameless City series, although it does suffer somewhat as the middle book in a trilogy - it begins directly after the climax of the first book and expends most of its energy setting things up for the dramatic concluding volume. If you didn't read The Nameless City directly before reading this volume, you might feel a little lost.

Lost or not, Kai and Rat are still great characters, exhibiting growth and companionship that feels quite real despite the
Mary
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Stone Heart is the second in The Nameless City series by Faith Erin Hicks. I like this story a lot! Set in the 13th Century the city has been conquered over and over again, so many times, in fact, that it doesn't have a true name. Kaidu is new to the city, staying with his father at the Dao palace, and is quickly learning that not everything is as it seems. The Dao believe everything in the city is peaceful and fine but they have little regard for the people they've conquered.
Soon Kaidu
Heidi
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having really liked the first book in The Nameless City trilogy, I was eager to read this second book. And I was not disappointed. Kai and Rat are coming to terms with their changed circumstances and the changes that seem to be in store for the city. But unfortunately, the politics involved in the running of an empire can change quickly, and when things take a turn for the worse, Kai, his father, and Rat are forced to flee. As the fate of the city rests on a knife's edge, Kai and Rat wonder if ...more
John
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hopes for peace go a-glimmering as regime change comes to the Nameless City's latest conquerors the Dao just as a new invading army approaches, and a book about a powerful ancient weapon comes to light. Once again Rat and Kaidu are at the center of events, and also the only ones who can stave off widespread disaster--maybe. Hicks ends this episode in mid-gallop, so I hope the closer isn't all that far off...otherwise she does her usual spectacular job of capturing nuances of character in the art ...more
Bookish
Guys, I’m so obsessed with this middle grade series. It focuses on the friendship between Rat, a native of the Nameless city, and Kaidu, a member of the Dao, the people who conquered the city. They respect each other and openly discuss the ingrained prejudices of their societies, while helping to fight against an oppressive government regime. It’s smart, complex, and never underestimates its target audience. I’m already itching for the next one. —Kelly (https://www.bookish.com/articles/book...)
Karissa
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was an amazing continuation of The Nameless City series. Things get pretty tense in this book. I love the detail that went into building this world and the beautifully colored and detailed illustrations. The characters are amazing as well.

The Nameless City ends up on the brink of war again...despite the best efforts of those who live there and want to engender peace once and for all.

Kadu unravels more history behind his father’s past and Rat reveals some secrets behind the monastery she
Lara
I'm really liking this series a lot--I love Kai and Rat's friendship, and how they're gradually learning more about each other. I like that nobody's wholeheartedly, straight-up a villain just for the sake of being a villain--there are reasons. And man...the story in this volume definitely went in some directions I did not expect it to go! I'm excited about the finale--write and draw like the wind, Faith Erin Hicks! Like the wind!
Literary Strawberry
Same fantastic characters, beautiful world-building, wonderful plot development, and there was a twist near the middle that made me literally stare at the page and whisper "what" to myself about a dozen times (actually, more like "what. what. did you just-- no way. what. no, you did not just-- WHAT") so yeah I REALLY ENJOYED THIS AND I AM UPSET THAT I HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE TO BE PUBLISHED
K
Sort of a saggy middle book, Hicks' art is excellent as always but the tension isn't drawn out quite as smoothly as it could be. I'm deeply curious where the story is going to go from here, but if I didn't have the momentum of the first book and the promise of another, The Stone Heart would leave me a little disappointed.
Nina
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This got a bit darker than I was expecting! But it's so good. The characters are all interesting and have so much depth even though it's a JGN. There are so many good themes you could talk about if you read this with your kid or a class, etc. Can't wait for #3!!
Katy
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Action packed, well developed characters, awesome world building, and great storytelling. Nothing but good things to say about this series!
Mateen Mahboubi
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots to like about this series. Looking forward to book 3.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Changes are coming to the City, but not everyone is eager to see it. Alliances will shift, and blood will be shed.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Compass South (Four Points #1)
  • Brave (Berrybrook Middle School, #2)
  • Mighty Jack (Mighty Jack, #1)
  • The Sand Warrior
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling (Delilah Dirk, #2)
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • Be Prepared
  • All's Faire in Middle School
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Dragons Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette, #2)
  • NewsPrints (NewsPrints, #1)
  • The Time Museum (Time Museum, #1)
  • All Summer Long
  • Swing it, Sunny
  • The Thief and the Sword (Cleopatra in Space, #2)
Born in the wilds of British Columbia, the young Faith frolicked among the Sasquatch native to the province before moving to Ontario at age five. There she was homeschooled with her three brothers, and developed an unnatural passion for galloping around on horseback, though never without a proper helmet (because you only get one skull). After twenty years of suffering through Ontario’s obscenely ...more

The Nameless City (3 books)
  • The Nameless City (The Nameless City, #1)
  • The Divided Earth (The Nameless City, #3)
“I don't want a new purpose. I want what's mine. I want my birthright.” 3 likes
“I want things to change in The Nameless City. I want the people in the city to finally have some influence over its future. We've never had that before. If there's something I can do to make this council of nations happen, I want to know about it. Don't tell me not to be worried. Tell me how to help.” 2 likes