Start by marking “Escargot” as Want to Read:
Escargot

Escargot

Bonjour! Escargot is a beautiful French snail who wants only two things:

1. To be your favorite animal.
2. To get to the delicious salad at the end of the book.

But when he gets to the salad, he discovers that there's a carrot in it. And Escargot hates carrots. But when he finally tries one—with a little help from you!—he discovers that it's not so bad after all
Published April 11th 2017 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Escargot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escargot

Not Quite Narwhal by Jessie SimaBunny's Book Club by Annie SilvestroA Perfect Day by Lane SmithBe Quiet! by Ryan T.  HigginsEgg by Kevin Henkes
Picture Books of 2017
394 books — 122 voters
Escargot by Dashka SlaterSnippet the Early Riser by Bethanie Deeney MurguiaSome Smug Slug by Pamela Duncan EdwardsThe Snail and the Whale by Julia DonaldsonThe Biggest House in the World by Leo Lionni
Snails!
30 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Carmen
Bonjour! I see you are staring at me!

I don't mind.

My name is Escargot, and I am such a beautiful French snail that everybody stares at me.

Right now, I am traveling to the salad at the end of this book. It is a beautiful salad, with croutons and a light vinaigrette.

You should come! I just need a little push to help me start.

While we are traveling, we can talk. Tell me, what do you think is my most beautiful part?

My shell?

My neck?

My tentacles?

Oh là là! It is so hard to choose!

That is because all o
Calista
Je t'aime, J'adore. Dear reader, this book breaks the fourth wall using a snail as a French cliche to tell the joke. The snail is so cute and leaves shimmery trails behind him. He is racing you in the book. He talks to you the whole time. He wants to convince you he is worthy of your favorite animal and to love salad.

I ended up loving this book. It is fantastique! I read it to the nephew and we had so much fun that my niece came in and we read it all over again. The nephew wanted to as much as m
Yodamom
What is your favorite animal ? Mine is the french snail. Oh he so cute, so full of adorableness, and personality. He will win your heart and perhaps get you to eat your veggies with a bit more love. The artwork is beautiful, soft and colorful. There might be a lesson along the way about trying foods you've never tried before but know you hate, but I'll not spill that detail.
I will buy this as a gift for small children.
This book is best read out-loud in a French accent... And I'm fairly sure no one is going to top Amy's story-time reading of it...
Scottsdale Public Library
This little French snail desperately wants to be someone's favorite animal and to get to the wonderful salad at the other side of the table. He may need a bit of help in this read-aloud gem, that's even more fun when you use a french accent! C'est magnifique!!-Jen K.
Chance Lee
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it
My favorite animal is now the snail.
Katherine
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Families, Children, Teachers, Librarians, Educators
PLEASE WRITE A SEQUEL(S) to this book!

Let me explain.

I have a very "strong-willed" three-year-old daughter who is of the overly picky eater variety. It's bad. I cannot emphasize how exhausting this is. This book has helped our family so much, and we are so grateful. It's also just a lovely picture book.

This is hands-down Charlotte's favorite book and our favorite book to read as a family. It must be read in an excruciatingly bad fake French accent. I read it this way. My husband reads it this
J.
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read an early copy of this book via work, with no obligation to leave a personal review.

I love Escargot, this book's title character, and you will too. Some French charm, beautiful illustrations, and cute all around--with a little message in there about not being too picky with your food, too. Escargot warmed his way into my heart.
The Library Lady
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is another book that makes me wish I had an audience for a preschool story time this year.
It has a bit of audience participation built in, and will need to be read in a lovely French accent--think Maurice Chevalier, or if you've never heard of him, think Pepe Le Pew
And if you don't know him, your cartoon knowledge is sadly lacking. Voila:

In sum:J'adore "Escargot"!
Krissy
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-tristan
Super cute! I loved how the book got you to interact with the story. My son had a lot of fun! I'm just sorry my poor baby had to listen to my god awful attempt at a French accent. At least it made him laugh!
Melissa
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My children have now had me read this book thrice and if I don't hide it, I bet I'll be reading it again. To get 5 stars from me, the voice needs to be immediate and distinct that it makes you read it in character. And this one does, thankfully I knew the little French that is in there, but that could be a stumbling block if you want to read before hand to know if you have the pronunciation right if you know no French.

This book is the character talking directly to the children and so enticingly
Carol Tilley
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I'd like to hang out with Escargot any day.
Idarah
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Snails are my favorite little Gastropods! Escargot's journey to the salad at the end of the book was so much fun! This would be awesome read aloud.
Becky
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 4-7
Shelves: funny, kids, picture-books
4.5 stars - Adorable & funny. Must be read in a French accent.
Angela
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I double dog dare you to read this aloud without attempting a (bad, my case) French accent. Will be a blast at storytime.
EricaEreads
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book BRILLIANTLY breaks the fourth wall and calls for reader participation. Escargot's dry humor will please listeners of all ages, while the interactive elements will capture the attention of young readers. I cannot wait to read this at storytimes!
Susie
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my new favorite children's books! (Note: must be read in a bad French accent. Or a good one, if you're talented with accents and/or a French speaker. I am neither.)
Ana
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Escargot est mon animal préféré!
C'est magnifique! C'est incroyable! J'aime Escargot!!

This book is very sweet and has to be read with a thick French accent, a la the chef in "The Little Mermaid." He he he! Hon hon hon!
KC
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Funny, cute, and loving.
Matthew
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you don't find this book amusing, you have to be a little bit dead inside.
Shannon
Okay, this was just so stinking cute, I've got heart eyes. Très magnifique.
Brenda
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an adorable, CHEEKY, little book about a snail named Escargot. Illustrations are very cute.
Tasha
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Escargot is a small snail who has one big plan. He has to get to the salad at the end of the book. Along the way, Escargot tries to convince the young reader that snails should be their favorite animal. They will have to ignore the trails of slime on the page and focus on how very brave snails are and maybe how fast? The reader helps Escargot along the way, testing out ferocious faces, given him a little push, and offering kisses too. By the time Escargot reaches the salad, he will have won thei ...more
Mike Smith
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I still don't know how I feel about snails, but Escargot is my favorite children's book at the moment. It is the modern version of Pepe Le Pew's silly stereotypical French pomposity. Perhaps only Ronaldo can surpass Escargot's self esteem, but the humorous repartee may be unmatched for cleverness. Don't believe me? Try reading it with a handy snack, perhaps a CARROT!
Sandy Brehl
In this clever little character, the "eyes" have it. very young will be charmed by the snail's cheeky attitude and voice, especially if the reader adopts the French accept implied by various phrasings.
Established readers and writers will benefit from using this as mentor text for second-person voice, character development, humor writing, and even as model text for taking a seemingly unlikeable animal/character and writing persuasive text to win fans.

I must admit to feeling a bit misled that th
Elizabeth
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Technically, I haven't "read" this book, only listened to my husband read it -- in the requisite French accent, bien sur! It's as refreshing as a salad with croutons and a light vinaigrette. We've had it from the library for two days, and have already decided to buy it for ourselves and family. My 16-month-old gets super excited whenever Dad picks it up.

The only (hilarious) problem?

Whenever we flip to the page where Escargot is relaxing on the blanket with sunglasses and a sun tanning reflector
D'Iberville Library
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Perfect for your snail finding friends!

This adorable snailed named Escargot is in the mood for a salad, but on the way, he will have a lovely conversation with you about your favorite animal. By the end of the book, your favorite will obviously be the snail with the French accent.

The artwork is wonderful and the book asks the reader to be interactive. A fantastic read for young kids and adults that like to fake a French accent while they read.

Highly recommended!
Karyn The Pirate
This would make a wonderful read-aloud for story time! I would read it with a French accent and maybe supply the carrots to the children so they can try them with Escargot. Snails are not my favorite animals but after reading this, they move up the list.
  • Prince Ribbit
  • Whoops!
  • Madeline Finn and the Library Dog
  • Blue Ethel
  • Ragweed's Farm Dog Handbook
  • The Storybook Knight
  • Bunny's Book Club
  • Great, Now We've Got Barbarians!
  • Leave Me Alone!
  • The Wolf, the Duck, and the Mouse
  • Caring for Your Lion
  • I Am a Cat
  • Rot, the Cutest in the World!
  • The Bad Seed
  • 1 Big Salad: A Delicious Counting Book
  • Marigold Bakes a Cake
  • Hattie and Hudson
  • Moon
Dashka Slater’s novel, The Wishing Box, was named one of the best books of the year by the Los Angeles Times, which called it “an impish novel, hopeful and full of humor.” She is the author of four acclaimed children's books: Baby Shoes; Firefighters in the Dark; The Sea Serpent and Me and Dangerously Ever After. She has two picture books forthcoming in 2017, as well as the much-anticipated Young ...more