Start by marking “Tito the Bonecrusher” as Want to Read:
Tito the Bonecrusher

Tito the Bonecrusher

In her first standalone middle-grade novel, the beloved author of the Keena Ford chapter book series delivers a funny yet moving story about fathers, sons, and criminal justice.

Oliver "Spaghetti-O" Jones's dad is about to be jailed for a crime he didn't commit, and Oliver believes the only way to save him is with the help of his favorite lucha-libre wrestler turned action
Published March 5th 2019 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Tito the Bonecrusher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tito the Bonecrusher

Start your review of Tito the Bonecrusher
Dan
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun read. Tough topic handled in an exciting way. Likable characters
Emily
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so much fun. The narrator is relatable and HILARIOUS. I really enjoyed Spaghetti-O navigating friendships and difficult family relationships. I laughed out loud several times when he described certain people in his family.
The story is about love, family, and consequences. I wish Titos movies were real! I cant wait for my 10 year old to read it.
Barbara
Fifth grader Oliver Jones loves his father and has fond memories of their shared passion for lucha libre. But when he and his sister Louisa learn that he won't be able to attend her graduation ceremonies after he accepts a plea bargain in a case against his boss, Oliver is determined to find a way to break him out of his Florida prison . Having seen his idol, Tito the Bonecrusher, get out out of numerous jams and lead plenty of escapes in the action films in which he stars, Oliver figures that ...more
Rachel
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the things I love to do, and Ive loved doing since I was a kid, is watch professional wrestling.

Rey Mysterio is one of my favorites. Hes a lucha libre wrestler, famous for highflying, acrobatic wrestling moves (a style most often found among Mexican lucha wrestlers) and for never taking off his mask. This is the story of a boy named Spaghetti-O Jones and his quest to meet his idol, lucha libre wrestler turned action movie star, Tito the Bonecrusher.

And the situation becomes even more
Ms. Yingling
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Always looking for funny books for my readers, but I'm not sure that my students know what lucha libre is, so more description of that might be helpful. I also felt like I might have missed a first book in the series. At any rate, I think it's a bit more elementary oriented, so I think I will pass.
Wendy Thomas
I appreciated that the protagonist's father was in jail and even though it looked like it was going to be a case of "it was someone else's fault", dad was not let off the hook. The lucha libre culture was fun and added a lot of whimsy to the story and the underlying story of a kid feeling helpless and trying to feel some semblance of control is one that a lot of kids could relate to.
Mary
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile
This was funny. Great characters. This would appeal to 4th grade boys, too!
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jfic
This was such a cute story with subtle humor and a great cast of characters.
Mark Castrique
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book for middle schoolers. Fun read for adults.
PWRL

• Shouting at the Rain
  • The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise
  • Stargazing
  • Dear Sweet Pea
Melissa Thomson is the author of the KEENA FORD series (Dial) and TITO THE BONECRUSHER (FSG, 2017), as well as ALONE ON THE ICE, a short story about a child who must survive on an ice floe with only a friendly polar bear to protect him. It was written when she was in third grade and won last place in the school district writing contest. If anyone would like to publish it, please contact her.

When