Start by marking “Tito the Bonecrusher” as Want to Read:
Tito the Bonecrusher

Tito the Bonecrusher

In her first standalone middle-grade novel, the beloved author of the Keena Ford chapter book series delivers a funny yet moving story about fathers, sons, and criminal justice.

Oliver "Spaghetti-O" Jones's dad is about to be jailed for a crime he didn't commit, and Oliver believes the only way to save him is with the help of his favorite lucha-libre wrestler turned action
Published March 5th 2019 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Tito the Bonecrusher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tito the Bonecrusher

Start your review of Tito the Bonecrusher
Dan
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun read. Tough topic handled in an exciting way. Likable characters
Emily
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so much fun. The narrator is relatable and HILARIOUS. I really enjoyed Spaghetti-O navigating friendships and difficult family relationships. I laughed out loud several times when he described certain people in his family.
The story is about love, family, and consequences. I wish Tito’s movies were real! I can’t wait for my 10 year old to read it.
Barbara
Fifth grader Oliver Jones loves his father and has fond memories of their shared passion for lucha libre. But when he and his sister Louisa learn that he won't be able to attend her graduation ceremonies after he accepts a plea bargain in a case against his boss, Oliver is determined to find a way to break him out of his Florida prison . Having seen his idol, Tito the Bonecrusher, get out out of numerous jams and lead plenty of escapes in the action films in which he stars, Oliver figures that h ...more
Rachel
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the things I love to do, and I’ve loved doing since I was a kid, is watch professional wrestling.

Rey Mysterio is one of my favorites. He’s a lucha libre wrestler, famous for highflying, acrobatic wrestling moves (a style most often found among Mexican lucha wrestlers) and for never taking off his mask. This is the story of a boy named Spaghetti-O Jones and his quest to meet his idol, lucha libre wrestler turned action movie star, Tito the Bonecrusher.

And the situation becomes even more de
Savannah
Apr 22, 2021 rated it liked it
The first half of this book did not hold my interest very well. It was a struggle to get myself into it. However, I will say that my persistence paid off because the end of the book made it worth it. It took a story that could have been unbearably ridiculous, and made it more down to earth and realistic. Not all endings are "happy" or "perfect" and I enjoyed that this book used that to ground the narrative. ...more
Ms. Yingling
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Always looking for funny books for my readers, but I'm not sure that my students know what lucha libre is, so more description of that might be helpful. I also felt like I might have missed a first book in the series. At any rate, I think it's a bit more elementary oriented, so I think I will pass.
Wendy Thomas
I appreciated that the protagonist's father was in jail and even though it looked like it was going to be a case of "it was someone else's fault", dad was not let off the hook. The lucha libre culture was fun and added a lot of whimsy to the story and the underlying story of a kid feeling helpless and trying to feel some semblance of control is one that a lot of kids could relate to. ...more
Rebecca
Jun 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and am so excited it is on this year's LYRC list for 3rd-5th grade! (It might just be my favorite!)

Follow Oliver and his friend Brain on an adventure you will soon not forget! If your kiddo is into adventure and wrestling, this book is totally for them!
Mary
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile
This was funny. Great characters. This would appeal to 4th grade boys, too!
Catharine
Dec 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Fun read, though the protagonist was old enough (the readers as well) that it would be obvious that his plan would never help his father out of jail.
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jfic
This was such a cute story with subtle humor and a great cast of characters.
Alice
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: schu-sharp-shelf
3.75 stars for this one which started out slowly for me but picked up
Ms. St. Jean
Click on the book cover to see the GoodReads summary.
Mark Castrique
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book for middle schoolers. Fun read for adults.
PottWab Regional Library
Apr 06, 2019
Pat
Mar 29, 2020
Yotam
rated it did not like it
Feb 25, 2020

• Because of the Rabbit
  • The Next Great Paulie Fink
  • Max and the Midknights
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
  • Changeling (The Oddmire, #1)
  • The Phone Booth in Mr. Hirota's Garden
  • Mario and the Hole in the Sky: How a Chemist Saved Our Planet
  • Carter Reads the Newspaper
  • Just Like Beverly: A Biography of Beverly Cleary
  • Notorious
Melissa Thomson is the author of the KEENA FORD series (Dial) and TITO THE BONECRUSHER (FSG, 2017), as well as ALONE ON THE ICE, a short story about a child who must survive on an ice floe with only a friendly polar bear to protect him. It was written when she was in third grade and won last place in the school district writing contest. If anyone would like to publish it, please contact her.

When

News & Interviews

It's been a great summer for book clubs on Goodreads. There's nothing better than talking about books—members have been devouring...