Start by marking “The Hills of Home (The Song of the Ash Tree, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hills of Home (The Song of the Ash Tree, #2)

The Hills of Home

(The Song of the Ash Tree #2)

A frozen lake raged with fire. The Valkyries descended from the stars, shattering the swords and minds of men. And two kings survived the battle of the burning lake. The war for Midgard will carry on. But a war on a much greater scale preys on Raef Skallagrim’s mind.

The rule of the gods is unraveling and soon the giants will unleash their long-festering wrath. Raef, haunt
Published June 3rd 2016 by Grass Crown Press

To ask other readers questions about The Hills of Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hills of Home

Start your review of The Hills of Home (The Song of the Ash Tree, #2)
Justine
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It has been a long time since I’ve finished a book on such a note of intensity and I believe my heart has broken.

Earlier this year I read and loved The Blood-Tainted Winter and immediately picked up The Hills of Home. Somehow it got lost within Mount TBR and I only just got to it earlier this week. I thoroughly regret waiting so long to read book two in The Song of the Ash Tree series…it is stunningly beautiful.

Raef Skallagrim returns to the coast of home after the great battle of the burning la
Laura Hughes
A superb follow-up to The Blood-Tainted Winter. This series is Norse fantasy at its finest.
Pierce
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Too easy to rate this book a solid five. I was instantly in love with what the author decided to do with main character, though I would've preferred more time in each location, it made sense the way she wrapped everything up. Her writing is getting stronger as the story goes along making these series creep up and will be one of my favorites to recommend! On to the Third Edda!!
David Roach
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
T.L. Greylock has out done her first work with "The Hills of Home" the second book in the Song of the Ash Tree series. A work of pure fiction woven together in such a way that would be impressive by the standards of the Norns. Her creative blend of Norse history and mythology into a single story has built a believable world filled with danger, intrigue, and wonder! Her main character becomes relate-able on a human level and will leave you rooting for him at every turn as the odds are stacked eve ...more
Travis Peck
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book continues with the fast pace set in The Blood-Tainted Winter, but, much like the first book in the series, the fast pace is complimented by the author's excellent prose, amazing descriptions, and interesting characters. This book's betrayal/revenge-rich storyline never lets you feel like Raef can have a moment's respite--bad for Raef, but good for us. Raef is a wiser, more reflective character now in the second book of this trilogy, which helps him traverse the wonderful Odyssey-like f ...more
Kristen
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full review is here, on my blog!

Ahhhh Norse mythology. I love you so. <3<3<3<3

This book takes place shortly after the last. Raef and his companions are on their way back to Vannheim after the events of the first book. Raef starts this adventure out by being an idiot, and jumping into a lake in winter in vaguely-somewhere-in-Scandinavia fully clothed in pursuit of some bootay. Well, instead of bootay (and also somehow skirting hypothermia), he gets himself kidnapped, sedated heavily, and sent adr
Hannah Langendoerfer
Another great book

I will be honest, the first part of this book had me worried. It wasn’t that it was bad, but I had a hard time seeing where the author was going with it and why she jerked us out of main the story. I’m happy to say, it turned out being fine and making sense in the end. Raef also gave me grief in this one and at times I had to put the book down and do something else for a while. But that is why I love reading, why I am sad for those who don’t. That moment when we become so inves
Jessica
I really can't say enough good things about this series. The Hills of Home is even more fast paced and action packed than the first book. I found myself constantly talking to the main character, wanting to know what would happen next and sometimes dreading what I knew had to happen. I've already started the 3rd book and can't wait to find out the conclusion. I have so many other books that I should be reading right now, but I can't not know what happens with Raef, Siv and Vakre! I'm sure that th ...more
Amanda
This series needs more books! Only one left to go!
Miriam Michalak
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed the first half of this book - where Raef gets to explore (not through choice) other realms. However once he gets home and gets healed the narrative slows considerably and I admit to becoming a little bored. Two chapters before the end I was convinced this was the end for me ....but that ending, a huge cliffhanger which I just have to know how it resolves! So Ash Tree 3 here I come :)
Kendra Morgan
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kendra by: goodreads giveaways
Excellent read! Well developed characters you grow to love and some you hate.

This is second in a series and now I have to go back and read the first one and try to wait patiently for the third to come out.
Reuben Chadwick
Jan 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Started off well enough.
But suddenly took a turn that I didn't like.
such a shame as I loved the first book.
Can't please everyone I suppose.
oh well...
Erika
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining, exciting book! I am extremely impatient for the next one!
Rudi
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a pleasure to continue following the adventures of Raef Skallagrim. As with the first, I found this second book so captivating and addictive, the author has such a grasp of how to keep you hooked it is truly inspiring and if your like me, the moments you have to put the book down for work or something, you will be wondering and anticipating what will happen next and how the story will unfold. So glad I ordered book 3 in advance as the ending of book 2 came as a true surprise, I'm dying to f ...more
Dan Borkowski
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Great second installment! The character arcs have not progressed as I expected, but it was a very satisfying ending that makes me eager to finish the series. Raef's journey at the beginning of the novel is especially engaging, and the first and second halves of the novel seem to mirror each other in an intriguing way.
Baoer
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hiatus
If you liked the first book you will probably like this one. It's not memorable for me personally because the plot is a bit all over the place with undefined characters (both main and support). Basically it's good, just not great.

If you are fan of Last Kingdom tv show, the main character seems a little similar!
Johan
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
As much fun as the first book. There was a bit of giant side quest at the start, but eventually the story found its way back to the core. Solid adventure through and through though.
3,5 stars rounded down.
Ann
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love the way T.L. Greylock writes! I think I said that about the first book in the trilogy. If so, it's for good reasons. On top of that, The Hills of Home is loaded with excitement, adventure, and suspense. It was hard to put down. I was so eager to know what happens, but I didn't want it to end. Now that it has, I can't wait for the third book! I have to know what happens to Raef and his friends, assuming they really are friends! You can never be sure in this series!
Rat
Mar 16, 2018
Ken McWilliams
Jul 30, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bloody Rose (The Band, #2)
  • The Black Hawks (Articles of Faith, #1)
  • Kings of Heaven (Ash and Sand, #3)
  • The Croning
  • The Viking Spirit: An Introduction to Norse Mythology and Religion
  • Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Memoir
  • The Wolf of the North (Wolf of the North #1)
  • Poppy Redfern and the Midnight Murders (A Woman of WWII Mystery #1)
  • Dragons of Spring Dawning (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #3)
  • Dragons of Winter Night (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #2)
  • Wreckers Gate (Immortality and Chaos #1)
  • Hunger's Reach (Immortality and Chaos #4)
  • Landsend Plateau (Immortality and Chaos #2)
  • Oblivion's Grasp (Immortality and Chaos #5)
  • Guardians Watch (Immortality and Chaos #3)
  • Jorundyr's Path (Wolf of the North, #2)
  • Kings of Paradise (Ash and Sand, #1)
  • The Blood Debt (Wolf of the North #3)

T L Greylock's first series is The Song of the Ash Tree, a Norse saga featuring plenty of axes. She loves wild rice, Rafael Nadal's forehand, and driving on small, twisty roads. She also considers herself a baker of pies, but this is debatable.

The Song of the Ash Tree (3 books)
  • The Blood-Tainted Winter (The Song of the Ash Tree, #1)
  • Already Comes Darkness (The Song of the Ash Tree, #3)