Start by marking “Canticos: Los Pollitos / Canticos: Little Chickies” as Want to Read:
Canticos: Los Pollitos / Canticos: Little Chickies

Canticos: Los Pollitos / Canticos: Little Chickies

"Los Pollitos Dicen," or "Little Chickies Squeal" is one of the most popular songs in the Spanish speaking world, akin to "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" in English. This English adaptation of the song is as catchy and lyrical as the Spanish version and sure to engage new audiences not familiar with the original song. The song is an homage to the demanding nature of babies ...more
Novelty Book, 25 pages
Published April 26th 2016 by Encantos

To ask other readers questions about Canticos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Canticos

Start your review of Canticos: Los Pollitos / Canticos: Little Chickies
Taryn
An adorable little nursery rhyme about a momma bird taking care of her little chicks! It's written in both English and Spanish. The format is accordion style; you read through the full story in one language and then turn it around to read through it again in the other language. The illustrations are adorable and there are flaps and spinning wheels that add fun and interactivity.

Little Chickies/Los Pollitos is a great way to introduce preschoolers to a second language. According to the official
PattyMacDotComma
Clever, colourful little dual-language board book to be read to very small children. The book opens accordion-style, so that you read it one direction in one language all the way through. If you want to read in the other language, you just turn it around and basically read the backs of all the previous pages.

The author explains that she finds it too disjointed having two languages showing on opposite pages or alternating between languages. She thinks it works better to tell the story in one
Elaine
I love this idea for bilingual fun books for children and really hope there will be more like this! Sometimes the best ideas are the simplest. As a teacher, I’ve encouraged my pupils to make what we call zig zag books and this is a professional example of one - with the same rhyme in English on one side and in Spanish on the other. The Spanish version is, apparently, a very well known nursery rhyme and the author has translated and made an English version of that rhyme. The illustrations are ...more
Morris
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
“Little Chickies” is an adorable board book that introduces Spanish or English, depending on the child’s native language, in a simple and easily accessible way. The story is told in both languages, one following the other, with the same illustrations in each version, allowing children to easily see the connections. On top of that, there is a download available of the story being read. Very cute and inventive!

This review is based upon a complimentary copy provided by the publisher in exchange for
Makhda
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great bilingual book for childrens. Simple and beautiful artwork. It comes in accordion style book with lift the flaps. :)

description

Ivonne Rovira
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: preschool parents
Recommended to Ivonne by: NetGalley
This darling bilingual picture book, written and illustrated by Susie Jaramillo, relates the traditional children’s song that’s beloved by Hispanic kids throughout the Americas. The delightful illustrations depict a devoted mother hen feeding and taking care of her baby chicks, and the song is included both in the original Spanish and in a clever translation.

Little Chickies is sure to be a hit with Anglo and Latino kids alike, along with their parents. The song is available in a video here in
Sandra
Sweet English version of the well known Spanish nursery song "Los pollitos dicen". I think the translations is very good, and the illustrations really pretty.

I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Tonja Drecker
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Having bilingual children myself (not Spanish, however), I've kept an eye out for books which try to cover two languages. I was excited to get my hands on this one, not only due to the very cute content, but the idea is simple, yet effective.

Little Chickies Squeal is the basis for this small treasure, a popular nursery rhyme in the Spanish language. Not only is the rhyme something kids will adore--a mother hen finding a way to feed her hungry little chicks--but the idea of taking a rhyme from
Bea
I was intrigued by this because it's told in both English and Spanish. While none of my current students speak Spanish, I'm always on the lookout for books in languages besides American English. This one was okay. My one year olds were bored while some of my two year olds were bored and others liked it. It's told in both Spanish and English but neither language has a pronunciation guide so the adult or older child reading it has to fumble their way through whichever of the languages they are not ...more
Bookschatter
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, reviewed
I loved it. So simple, yet so effective, especially since this item will come with bilingual audio, in the form of a musical nursery rhyme - which aids the learning process especially for readers with learning difficulties such as dyspraxia.

Brilliant for bi-lingual families, to introduce children to a different language and even for adults trying to get started with a new language (yep, it is a proven fact that the best way to learn a language is to do so as if you were a child - which is why
 Reading Divergence
LITTLE CHICKIES/LOS POLLITOS

Very cute board book to read to the very young, or for the learning-to-read to practice. The story tells cleverly if two tiny chicks and their nurturing nurturing Mamma through a day (and night). Bilingual.
Belinda Missen
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
A copy of this book was generously provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was cute, a lovely little rhyme with bright, bold colours, making the story easy for children to understand.
Jen
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a cute little book! I love bilingual books. I wish there were more out there.
Isabel Smith
This book is AMAZING! You can start on one end and read the story in English and then turn around and start on the opposite end for the Spanish version. On top of all this, you can choose to flip each page traditionally (one by one) or opt for unfolding the entire book to where every page is displayed all at once. The lift-the-flaps and spinning wheel feature are the icing on the cake. This is truly a movable picture book and it is sure to enchant readers time and time again. The text of Los ...more
Robin
This is a book based on a favorite Spanish nursery rhyme. The chickies are adorable. Instead of both languages being on the same page, the book comes in two sections, Spanish and English. My favorite part of this book is that they snuggle with their mama to stay warm. The English translation is perfectly rhymed. This is another snuggling book, perfect for a parent and toddler.
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Babies-Toddler
A traditional Hispanic nursery rhyme captured in a board book that features the trifecta of infant entertainment: white space, a sing-along tune, and lift-the-flaps.

Reviewed by: Miss Kelsey, Youth and School Services, Vernon Area Public Library
Kelsey
Age: Infant-Toddler
Bilingual text: English and Spanish

Four classic Spanish nursery rhymes are captured in separate board books with the trifecta of infant entertainment: white space, a sing-along tune, and lift-the-flaps.
Jean Doolittle
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Delightful format, fun for kids
Natalie
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the Canticos series I have read. They have cute illustrations and stories. I like the bilingual aspect.
Dora
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love the layout of this bilingual text! ...more
Beverly
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbf-birds
An interesting version of the traditional Spanish song, with cardboard pages that fold out one way for English and the other way for Spanish. Also has flaps and wheels. Very cute illustrations.
Kate Puleo Unger
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-books-read
Board Book ages 0-2

This bilingual book is two sided: one side is in English, and one side is in Spanish. Both tell the same story of little chicks that cry, "Pio!" when they're hungry or cold. Their mother gets them corn to eat and lets them snuggle under her to sleep and keep warm. It's a cute yet simple story, but great for exposing kids to Spanish early. And it has flaps that lift to make it more fun.

Connie Anderson
This has to be my favorite book so far. If I could write like Ms. Mulligan, I would be the happiest writer! She pulls you into her story (Amelia finds herself in an orphanage after her parents death. It is here that she learns that boys get to learn important things and girls don't). Then, she has you mesmorized throughout the whole story. And, when she is through, you are left with the feeling that you have just read the best story ever!

After Amelia turns 18, she leaves the orphanage to live on
Lghiggins
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Susie Jaramillo is a bilingual mother and artist who grew up in Venezuela and in the United States. In working with her own young children, she found a need for bilingual books to share traditional Latin American nursery rhymes in Spanish with a translation into English which maintains the original meaning without sacrificing the beauty of language. To this end she founded Canticos and has published the first book, Little Chickies/Los Pollitos. She has written and illustrated two more bilingual ...more
Suzanne
May 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ya-kid-lit
Los Pollitos is based on a very popular nursery rhyme in Spanish about little chickies. The original rhyme in Spanish tells the story of baby chicks hatching out of their eggs, crying because they are cold and hungry, then eating and snuggling up to mama for a nap. The English version tells the same story, also in rhyme. The illustrations are filled with chubby-cheeked yellow chicks and a mama hen in warm browns. I love the way the chickies say "Pio" rather than the "Peep, peep" that is often ...more
Erin
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents/grandparents of young children
Delightful! ¡Encantador!

What a sweet little book and a clever way to promote bilingual reading experiences to small children. First you read the book straight through in one language (English or Spanish), then when you get to the end, turn the page and read it straight through in the second language. It's printed very cleverly in an accordion format to facilitate this, according to this video. No awkward repetition or lingering on the same pages too long while trying to read in both languages at
Katie Harder-schauer
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first time I've read a bilingual children's book where the story is told twice, once in each language. Usually both languages are included on a single illustration, so you read a short line in one language, then the same line in the other (in my experience). I personally prefer that approach, but that might be simply because I'm used to it.

This story was short and cute. The illustrations were crisp and
Katie Fitzgerald
This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.

I downloaded this book from NetGalley because I like the song on which it is based, and I liked that it included the song in both English and Spanish. I read it to Miss Muffet once on my computer screen, and she seemed to enjoy it well enough. Personally, I felt that the artwork was charming and engaging, but that the pages as a cohesive unit did not really contribute to a sense of story. Each picture correlates perfectly to the line from the
Stephanie
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Little Chickies Squeal is a popular Spanish children's song. Translated and set to pictures, it is now able to be enjoyed in English as well. The Little Chickies squeal when they are hungry or cold and mama hen provides them with everything that they need.

This simple text set to rhyme is perfect to read with your own little one, reminding them that you are there for everything that they will ever need. The text is in English and then the original Spanish, which I am well enough versed in to
Paul Franco
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
A famous Spanish nursery rhyme about babies and mommies is turned into visual, as well as translated into English.
This is only 25 pages, but not even that long, as the first half is in English and then the second is the same story in Spanish. As someone who can read both languages, I’m impressed at how well the story translated while still making it rhyme. The artwork is lovely, which is really what matters here, since I doubt kids of this reading age care how corny the rhymes are.
Since I read

• A Book of Kisses
  • My Very First Book of Animal Homes
  • Grandma's Purse
  • The Wolf's Chicken Stew
Susie Jaramillo is co-founder and Chief Creative Officer of Encantos Media Studios, and is also the creator of Encantos’ first brand: Canticos, a bilingual baby and toddler brand inspired by Latino nursery rhymes.

A Venezuelan-American mother of two bilingual and bicultural children, Susie created Canticos to share her culture and language with her own children.

Susie serves as author, artist, and