Start by marking “Vern Yip's Design Wise: Your Smart Guide to a Beautiful Home” as Want to Read:
Vern Yip's Design Wise: Your Smart Guide to a Beautiful Home

Vern Yip's Design Wise: Your Smart Guide to a Beautiful Home

HGTV and Trading Spaces' trusted interior designer Vern Yip shares his favorite design secrets to creating living spaces that have flow, balance, and harmony--while opening his doors to show how he's made these principles work in his own beloved homes. This New York Times bestseller provides both the inspiration and the clear, essential guidelines you need to create a home ...more
Published September 13th 2016 by Running Press Adult

To ask other readers questions about Vern Yip's Design Wise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vern Yip's Design Wise

Start your review of Vern Yip's Design Wise: Your Smart Guide to a Beautiful Home
Kris Patrick
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm doing it wrong.
Mitzi Moore
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
Lisa
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This guy could be a teacher if he wanted to! This book has practical helps about design ideas that the average schmo like me doesn't know. It would make a great reference book for everything from the shape of furniture to how low you hang pendant lights and it's arranged in one page descriptions on many topics. It also includes a quick guide at the end of a person wants to access a topic "in a nutshell." And he has really good taste...
Kim Veach
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: home, non-fiction
Very useful book. The first part is rather dry, but that's because he gives you specific measurements for sizes of everything - furniture, layouts, traffic patterns, counter heights, etc. The second part is photos of his 3 houses.

I got this book from the library and may get it for my own personal reference.
Vivian
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I think this is a very good reference book for things like types of furniture, what to look for, standard heights, etc. This is not the book to pick up if you're clueless and just starting out (me). I found other books, like Your Home, Your Style by Donna Garlough to provide a more practical guide and tips for novices who need less "this is the standard height of a table" and more "here are the 5 steps to get started on understanding and executing your style".
Shawn Ross
The pictures has very little to do with what the text was explaining. It would be nice to see examples other than his own residences. Good advise about measurements.
Martha
a Good reference boo
Sean S
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: home-improvement
This book is as useful for inspiration as for the practical measurement references.
Jo
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent reference book for all types of measurements - from lighting, rugs, height of tables, end tables, lamp types and so much more
Tindle
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Many helpful measurements - I will be referring back to this book often!
Westley
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just further proof that Vern has impeccable taste.
Angela Doyle
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Skimmed the book
Jonna Gjevre
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design
The author could certainly use more variety in his photos, but he provides useful information about floor plans, table and counter heights, properties of lighting, and more.
Mary Lynn
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design-decor
Good for a basic manual and for fans of Vern. I don't love his aesthetic but I like his ideas and no-nonsense voice. You can almost hear him reading the book out loud to you! I did pick up a couple of tips I didn't know before, so for that, 4 stars from me. Also liked the book layout and design, easy to read for my aging eyes.
Renee
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I love Vern anyway, but really good tips and reference points that many times are missing - height, length, type of wood that is best...
Ambur Taft
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful pictures, beautiful family, and great tips for the serious interior designer.
Kat
Apr 06, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• No Crumbs Left: Whole30 Endorsed, Recipes for Everyday Food Made Marvelous
  • This Messy Magnificent Life: A Field Guide
  • Cook Once, Eat All Week: 26 Weeks of Gluten-Free, Affordable Meal Prep to Preserve Your Time & Sanity
  • Down to Earth: Laid-back Interiors for Modern Living
  • Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans
  • The Complete Book of Clean: Tips & Techniques for Your Home
  • The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night
  • The Everything Guide to Cooking Sous Vide: Step-by-Step Instructions for Vacuum-Sealed Cooking at Home
  • Over 600 Icebreakers & Games
  • Home for the Holidays: The Forgetful Bride\When Christmas Comes
  • The Apple Cider Vinegar Cure: Essential Recipes & Remedies to Heal Your Body Inside and Out
  • Visions in Death (In Death, #19)
  • Weekday Vegetarian
  • The Black Family Reunion Cookbook
  • The Deepest Grave (Fiona Griffiths, #6)
  • Cruel Acts (Maeve Kerrigan #8)
  • Imitation in Death (In Death, #17)
  • Seduction in Death (In Death, #13)