Start by marking “The Wrong Girl” as Want to Read:
The Wrong Girl

The Wrong Girl

Wrong Girl
Published February 11th 2016 by Quercus (first published June 4th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Wrong Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wrong Girl

Start your review of The Wrong Girl
Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf)
The Wrong Girl was an interesting psychological thriller. It was good, but I couldn't help feel a little disappointed.

Janice receives a phone call unexpectedly from her daughter Suzie who she gave up for adoption 40 years ago. The phone call brings her to her childhood home where she meets Suzie and Molly, Suzie's almost-neglected 10 year old daughter. Molly is convinced that she is in fact "Phoebe", a girl who was taken from her parents when she was 3 years old and looks strikingly similar. Mol
Sue
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley

This was a really engrossing psychological thriller that kept my attention throughout.

Missing children is the highlight of this book and the theme that runs through it. I am not saying too much about this story as I don't want to give anything away.

Heartache by the number, very emotive, and very moving.

Secrets and mystery.

Its a very very good read that I say you won't be able to pull away from.

I am keeping my review brief on this one as I have so much to say, I don't really want to ramble and
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
'.......the vast majority of children who go missing are recovered within forty-eight hours.'
'People keep saying that! Molly's been missing for nearly twenty-four hours already. What if you don't find her?'
'Nobody wants to think there's a possibility that their child might still be missing after almost fifty years, do they?'

But some are.

Yes, this is a book about more than one missing child. But that is not all. It is a book about growing up in the 60's, the age of free love and psychedelic drugs
Liz Barnsley
A really beautifully written and atmospheric family drama come psychological thriller here from Laura Wilson - a highly addictive and often haunting read that is utterly gripping.

Janice gets a phone call to say her brother has died - shocked not only by this but by the fact that the caller is her daughter, adopted at birth, she returns home to find out what is going on. There she ends up embroiled in family secrets whilst desperately trying to establish an emotional connection with the child she
Book Addict Shaun
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
If you are looking for a book that contains a brilliant mystery, with untold twists and turns, then you have found it with The Wrong Girl. Molly Jackson is aged ten when she finds her uncle Dan dead, not only that but she is convinced that she is actually Phoebe Piper, a girl who went missing seven years ago. Molly's chapters aren't written in the first person, but Laura Wilson really gives the reader a sense of how Molly thinks and acts, those chapters having a real childlike quality, even bein ...more
Hans
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story! I was hooked from the very start. Joe reminded me of Syd Barrett (Pink Floyd).
I really enjoyed this.
Sharon
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The blurb for this one sounds really interesting - a young girl named Molly is convinced she's actually Phoebe Piper, a child who disappeared many years before.

Unfortunately, it's a bit misleading - Molly's obsession with being Phoebe is only a tiny part of it. This had far too many elements for me. Mystery, family drama, missing children, 60s hippies, adoptions, mental asylums, disappearances, weird neighbours, secrets, deaths, - I felt like there were far too many characters, too many discuss
David Highton
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing mystery thriller from Laura Wilson, with a suspicious death, a meeting of birth mother with daughter adopted 44 years earleir, flashbacks to the psychedilic era of 1967-69 - very redolent of Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett. Also 3 missing girls in 3 different eras. Wilson lets the plot unfold very skilfully and finishes with some pace over the last third. A good read.
Rachel Hall
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first introduction to the work of Laura Wilson and to think I nearly didn't get past the blurb on the inside cover! The synopsis left me baffled and on opening this novel I wasn't overly optimistic. However, I decided to give on a try on the basis that Laura Wilson has a reputation as a renowned crime fiction author with an array of classy psychological thriller novels under her belt and I had no intention of letting a complicated plot synopsis stymie me! What I discovered between th ...more
Joanne Robertson
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I was a big fan of Laura Wilson's earlier crime novels and loved especially Hello Bunny Alice, then I lost her for a while as I'm not a huge fan of historical crime fiction which was the genre she moved onto. Still, I was intrigued by the plot of this present day mystery and wanted to see if she still told a good twisty tale and I'm pleased to say that she does!
Janice returns to Norfolk after she is summoned back by her long lost adopted daughter, who calls to tell Janice that her brother Dan ha
Angela
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Janice gave her baby up as a teenager after much pressure from her parents. Over forty years later and completely out of the blue, Suzie contacts Janice not because she is desperately seeking her birth mother, but because Dan, Janice's brother who Suzie has been living with, has died. Janice very quickly becomes acquainted with both Suzie and her new grand-daughter, Molly, when she goes to sort Dan's funeral and possessions.

This is a story of fractured and broken lives, not only Janice and the d
Lynn Mccarthy
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
Janice gave up her daughter for adoption years ago but when her brother dies she finds out her daughter has been living with her brother Dan.Her daughter Suzie has a daughter of her own now Molly but Molly is convinced she is Phoebe Piper a girl who disappeared a few years ago.
What a great read with all its twists and turns it has everything adoption madness and family secrets.
I look forward to reading more from this Author.

Donna Jones
This book started out quite allow and boring it didn't seem to get going until 50%. by the middle the story really took off and became very good.it was drama filled and full of suspense and who dunnit. but the ending let this book down it just seemed to end with only some of the facts filled in. i would have liked more shock and more back story filled in.
Joanne
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Took ages to pick up the pace and become interesting (3/4 through). Too many characters who weren't developed.
Verushka
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Michelle
Molly a 10 year old girl starts to think she is Phoebe, a 3 year old girl who went missing on a family holiday 7 years before. Molly has a mum who drinks, is out a lot and doesn't spend much time with her. For reasons I never quite understood Molly thinks that she is Phoebe the missing girl and wants to be reunited with parents who will love her and spend time with her. Then suddenly Molly goes missing as well.

Janice the main character in the book gives up her baby Suzie for adoption when she wa
Kath
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that leads the reader one way and then, through twists and turns, slowly starts to reveal what actually happened. I love these sorts of books, as I find they mirror real life insofar as we never really have all the pieces of a puzzle at the start and usually make certain assumptions to fill in the gaps, some of which are often very wide of the mark.
This book is all about family, lost family, rediscovered family, lies and hidden secrets within families as well as recon
Jo-Ann Duff (Duffy The Writer)
The Wrong Girl is a quick read suspense thriller which is based around three generations of women. Janice, the well to do middle-aged woman who gave a little baby girl up for adoption in the free loving sixties. Suzie, the woman who claims to be her daughter and Molly, Suzie's emotionally neglected ten year old little girl. It is only when their lives connect that bad things begin to happen.

Janice's free loving hippy days as a groupie are far behind her, until her daughter, the one she gave up y
Louise Mullins
I struggled to get into this crime novel. The narrative style is too chatty for me, and there is too much dialogue which sounds clunky. I had to keep re-reading passages of text. I'm more disappointed with the publishers though who seem to have yet again, disclosed the entire story within the blurb. There was no twist and nothing new once you've passed the 200th page. Wilson is a good story-teller, I just didn't like this book.
Jessica Hollister
I thought the story line had real promise and the the book was way over half way through and still nothing happened. The end was an anticlimax and I'm still not sure where the author was trying to take the story.

Michelle
Jul 28, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It look a LONG time for me to get through this book. I found the writing very clumsy and confusing, with half-hearted storylines.
Renita D'Silva
Fast paced and thrilling.
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was slow going at first but once it got going I really enjoyed it, lots of twists and turns.
Sue
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book falls into two camps. People seem to love it or hate it.
For me, it was confusing. I stuck with it to the end but still didn’t really understand what was going on, or why I hadn’t given up on it earlier. I didn’t really gel with the characters, except perhaps Molly, the confused little girl who went missing.
This is the first book I’ve read by this author but feel I should try more and not give up on her yet.
3min45secs
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book starts with a Prologue of Dan discussing his car journey. He is stressed and frantic as he is driving, already drunk from the whisky he has been drinking. Next, we go to Molly who is in Dan's bedroom while he is sleeping hunched over his desk. Or so she thinks. Suzie, Molly's mum, tells Molly to leave the room and not to disturb Dan's body. "Dan's body," Molly thinks, why would she refer to Dan as a body? This is when Molly realises Dan has died in his sleep. Dan is Molly's Great Uncle, ...more
Diana Mcmahon-Reid
The Wrong Girl promises a thriller along the lines of The Girl on the train/ Gone Girl but disappoints with its pedestrian pace. I can imagine it making a good Midsummer Murders episode but unfortunately it is not the "gripping and haunting mystery novel" which the back cover promised.
Jennifer Atkinson
Interesting premise which took a while to get into. At times it felt like there were just too many names and it was hard to remember who was related to who! Not an entirely satisfying conclusion, hence the 3 stars.
Jo
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it and was engaged from chapter 1. Short chapters that make you want to read just one more. And just one more.... Memories from the 60s were evoked though I was a child then. My elder brother experienced it all and told us stories "The wrong girl" was the right book for me!
Vickie Taylor
A little disappointed with this book. The story about Molly and Phoebe was really only a small part of the book. I felt there were too many plot lines which were unnecessary and detracted from the main story.
Carol Kennedy
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thriller involving people my age! Woo! With dodgy memories and creaky bodies. Much to like here, if nothing else. The story is also pretty good, atmospheric and suitably confusing, with inter generational relationships realistically muddled and spiky. Thoroughly enjoyable- to the point where I actually want to know what happens to the people in the story!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Blacklands (Exmoor Trilogy #1)
  • Little Bones (Cathy Connolly, #1)
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • The Image of You
  • The Apartment
  • Seven Lies
  • Mr. Loverman
  • A Traitor in the Family
  • On a Wing and a Prayer (Churchill's Angels #4)
  • The Shadow Year
  • Dear Rosie Hughes
There is more than one author with this name

Laura Wilson is an English crime-writer based in London, where she was born and raised. She has degrees in English Literature form Somerville College, Oxford, and University College London, and has worked as a teacher and editor of non-fiction.

Many of her novels have either a historical setting or a distinct historical connection, and often have split or