Start by marking “Cometh the Hour” as Want to Read:
Cometh the Hour

Cometh the Hour

(The Clifton Chronicles #6)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  25,160 ratings  ·  1,390 reviews
Cometh the Hour opens with the reading of a suicide note, which has devastating consequences for Harry and Emma Clifton, Giles Barrington and Lady Virginia.

Giles must decide if he should withdraw from politics and try to rescue Karin, the woman he loves, from behind the Iron Curtain. But is Karin truly in love with him, or is she a spy?

Lady Virginia is facing bankruptcy, a
Published February 25th 2016 by Macmillan (first published February 23rd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Cometh the Hour, please sign up.
Philip Ransley I totally disagree with you BUT and ONLY this BUT was that you have to wait for the next book to see the actual conclusion of the fifth book. This was…moreI totally disagree with you BUT and ONLY this BUT was that you have to wait for the next book to see the actual conclusion of the fifth book. This was annoying and I did write to the author about it but he never acknowledged me. Not that I am offended, being one of my most favorite author, but you know !!!!!!!(less)

·  25,160 ratings  ·  1,390 reviews

Start your review of Cometh the Hour
Luffy
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are few authors better than Jeffrey Archer at plotting. True, he will extract his characters in distress with some crazy Deus Ex Machina, but that is kept muffled in this book. I thought that Cometh the Hour is not equal to his best, but given that the writer is quite old (and I'm prone to say he has passed his peak), it's a great effort on his part, to give us quite a lot to think about.

The major characters whose stories we follow, are Harry and Emma Clifton, Sir Giles Barrington, Sebasti
Cynthia
Sep 06, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I can't wait for this book to come out. Jeffrey Archer is my all time favorite author. I've been hooked since Kane and Abel.
Wendy
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't want to finish this book because I wanted it to last as long as I could drag it out. It followed the series like the other books before have and it certainly did not disappoint. The book seemed to be setting us up for the end of the series but the biggest surprise of all is that this is not the last book in this series. The way it ended could have very well ended The Clifton Chronicles but it didn't so now we have no way of knowing what will be happening next. I have come to the conclus ...more
Ujjawal Sureka
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Series: Clifton Chronicles #6
Genre: Historical fiction, Mystery, Drama
Publication Date: February 2016

The story as well as the characters are a lot mature now (except lady Virgina Fenwick :P). The book delves deeper into family, love, politics, business, conspiracy, and freedom of speech.
There were a lot of times when the story left me emotional. Jeffery Archer sure has a knack of character building, we can get well attached to them. The story was engaging and fun.
There are still a few unresolve
Matt
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Archer has much to offer in this penultimate volume of his heptalogy, pushing the Cliftons, Barringtons, and a slew of other characters into the centre of dramatic events of the 1970s. As the novel opens, Emma Clifton awaits news on a libel suit that may see her forced to hand over control of Barrinton's Shipping, as the Board is divided over her actions. While she is able to weather a rather choppy storm, her prowess is not ignored as she joins more directorships and is kept in the inner circle ...more
Ken
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’d purchased this book without knowing it was part of a series, I find it’s so easily done - especially when browsing on kindle stores.

Of course I’d prefer to start at the beginning, but I was glad that I’d not known at the time that this was the penultimate in the series - that would have been too daunting.

This entry follows the Clifton and Barrington families during the 1970’s, even though some of the plot strands were a little confusing at first it was easy to move along with the story.
The
Retha Cameron
I read the other five Clifton Chronicles and I couldn't wait to read volume six. Jeffrey Archer didn't disappoint.
Picking up where volume five left off, enough background is given to remind you of everything you may have forgotten since then. Following the Clifton's, Barrington's, and Lady Virginia Fenwick through the 1970's, Archer's storytelling once again had me unable to put the novel down until I was finished.
Having read all the other books, I am not a good judge as to whether this book w
Rohit Enghakat
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is the sixth and the penultimate instalment of Clifton Chronicles. As usual there are twists and turns although i found this book a bit tepid compared to the other books. What i like about Archer is his writing style. It just flows so naturally that the reader is never bored.
Katie
I LOVED this book. Jeffrey Archer is the consummate storyteller and this series keeps getting better. I found myself so engrossed in the story that the world around me seemed to disappear.

It was great to become reacquainted with Harry, Emma, Giles, Sebastian and others. Lady Fenwick, a character you love to hate, also added interest to the tale. It's a pleasure to find fictional characters who exemplify the qualities we admire and share in their triumphs as well as share their setbacks and chal
Kerri
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not too much to say really. I love these books, I've had a great time reading them and I'm looking forward to starting the final one tomorrow!

Oh, and once again, what an ending! I'm tempted to start 'This Was A Man' right now, but I also want to sleep...

I think I can manage a chapter or two though- I want to know what happens! I've become so invested in these characters and their incredibly dramatic, tumultuous lives!
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Giles Barrington couldn’t sleep the night before he was due to fly to Berlin. He was up long before the sun rose, didn’t bother with breakfast and took a taxi from his home in Smith Square to Heathrow hours before his flight was due to depart. First flights in the morning were almost the only aircraft guaranteed to take off on time. He picked up a copy of the Guardian in the first class lounge, but didn’t get beyond the front page as he drank a cup of black coffee and went over Walter’s ...more
Sathya Sekar
Mar 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This series has been going downhill for a while but I think its hit a nadir with this book. Really cringe-worthy at times, the book has nothing to offer to devoted readers of the series. People whom we have grown to admire now become the Perfects. Harry, Emma, Giles.. all are established as all thats great and beautiful in the world. The villains become more and more petty and less effective. Sebastian has another dash of romance which I think was introduced by Archer just to please his huge fan ...more
Donna
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If this was a stand alone book, it would probably get a 3 star rating and not a 4, because of a few different things. First, this book didn't feel as cohesive as past books in this series. It was dang close to rambling at times, without actually crossing that line. Second, some of the story lines felt repetitive or even recycled. This leads to the final thing which is, overall this felt a little 'stiff'.

Now with all of that out the way, the reason this gets 4 stars and not 3, is because of the w
Nilesh
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fool me six times, and the addiction is mine.

The Chronicles continue to meander aimlessly in the penultimate episode. There are ten or more short stories that progress so rapidly that one could almost feel the weight of the author's deadline pressure. For a change, there are no famous Archerisq close votes or a cliff-hanger book-end - two definite new positives! However, substituting them are these plethora of' tales that appear to have been lifted straight out of a collection of 1970s' books an
Blaine DeSantis
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fine entry in the Clifton Family Chronicles. So much action and plot twists, and so typical of the author. He moves the action along at a brisk pace by concentrating on different characters in different sections of the books he writes. What is new here? Well we have an East German spy, double-agents, MI-6, the Nobel Prize in Literature, a typical Russian ending to controversy, more banking and criminal activity, along with Politics and Margaret Thatcher makes her first appearance. Whew! ...more
Girish
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Archer's book in the series was an average fare despite being good in parts. In fact the book goes on auto mode that the writing is like the background music in a pub - just there while you go about doing other things. It's that book in the series where the author is desperately out of ideas and maybe wondering why he signed a 7 book deal.

A lot of things happen in the book but none that seems to fit in with a natural flow of story. I was into 3 chapters, when I had trouble placing characters. I
Tracy
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As said in one of my earlier notes, I yelled and gasped at this book more than any other in a long time! I was often surprised and shocked at what would happen in the story.

Harry & Emma have come a long way as well as Giles, Sebastian and our lovely Virginia Fenwick..... Some of our "bad guys" have fallen on hard times, but several are still alive and kicking....

The book ends with a horrible incident and I instantly opened book 7 to find out if the author really just did that or not.... I can't
Dave
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jeffrey-archer
It is unusual for me to enjoy a book so much and to look forward to the next one in the ongoing saga of the Clifton/Barrington families as I did this book! The plot keeps thickening and gets more interesting with every turn without me second guessing every outcome! I really like that in a book!
Anis Suhaila
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Has Jeffrey Archer always been this bad in writing dialogues and monologues? Seems lazy, even.

I'm glad this whole series is coming to an end, getting tired of the whole family. Up to the point I can easily understand why they have so many enemies.
Sharon
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My son bought me this book as a Mother's Day present as I love these books. I managed to hold off reading it for a few days while I read the previous book in the series (Mightier Than The Sword) to refresh myself of the story. I'm now really disappointed as I got through this in 2 days and now I have to wait until at least the end of the year for the next and final instalment!

As usual, this one doesn't disappoint! Split into different parts, each part based on a different character. It has the u
 Olivermagnus
This is the sixth book in the Clifton Chronicles, a family saga which follows Harry Clifton, his family, friends, and enemies starting from the 1920's until the 1990s. We pick up the story in the 1970s, immediately following the cliffhanger ending in the prior book of the series, Mightier Than The Sword. Harry has become a successful author and his wife, Emma, is still running Barrington Shipping. Her brother Giles is a Member of Parliament but is working hard to get the woman he loves out of Ea ...more
Kenneth Iltz
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
There are now six books in the Clifton Chronicles. I have read all of them. I read the first five while I was stuck at home nursing a new knee.

Cometh the Hour is the sixth in the series. A seventh book is promised in November to complete the series. The Chronicles portray the Barrington and Clifton family through much of the last century in Bristol, England.

There isn’t enough space to describe the plot of the chronicles. Suffice it to say that the good people are really good and they almost al
Rachel Guinsburg
I've been reading Jeffrey Archer for about 100 years, loving the Clifton Chronicles & this one did not disappoint. Looking forward to #7. ...more
Benjamin Thomas
The sixth and penultimate volume in “The Clifton Chronicles” covers most of the 1970’s and serves to move events along pretty well. By now, readers are very familiar with the major characters in the decades-long saga and so what we have here is essentially a grouping of their individual stories that occasionally overlap with the overarching story arcs that keep it all going.

We do finally get some closure to the Anatoly Babakov sub plot and we also get another in the endless Lady Virginia scheme
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate series books, particularly when I'm reading them while they're still being published. I hate how they finish on a cliffhanger! I really enjoyed this story, it tied up some of the loose threads we've been waiting for, but threw new ones in.

I was enjoying getting to know Priya, conveniently though, her existence didn't get in the way of destiny. Virginia is as nasty and contriving as ever, but this time she certainly went farther than I would have expected. Her mates spend the whole book tr
Sherry
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads, giveaways
won this from goodreads giveaways and was excited to catch up with everything clifton/barrington, etc. this book picked up right where the cliffhanger from the previous book left off and archer provided enough background to remind us what we might have forgotten. nothing is ever easy for anyone in these families and this book is no different. don't want to give away any spoilers, but some things never change. this book didn't end with quite as a dramatic cliffhanger as the previous books and i l ...more
Liz
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sixth book in the 'Clifton Chronicles' series and the storylines are now very far removed from the Barrington Shipping saga in previous books. The opening chapter takes the reader straight back to the end of book 5, refreshing the reader's memory as to the current story. The plot continues but goes off on many tangents. Some new characters are introduced and there are some shocks along the way. It's an ok read with lots of 'loose ends' tied up. The final book in the series will be re ...more
Andrew
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars
I do enjoy this series. Have now read all six in the past 6-7 months, and now wait with baited breath for the last book in the Chronicles which is due to be published in November. These are always fully engaging reads, with plenty of twists, set against the backdrop of 20th Century history. Jeffrey Archer certainly knows how to tell a good yarn, but I'm not sure I'd like to be a character in one of his books as so much happens to them. He is also not averse to killing off some of the k
Eleccy
Mar 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read the previous Clifton chronicles and was looking forward to this latest one, but I was disappointed I know it's a story but I feel it wasn't written by the same author it was so unbelievable, Jessica 10 years old just too much. Maybe the last one will compensate.
Kathryn
Classic Archer with all sorts of twists and turns and ending on a cliffhanger, as usual!! I can't wait to see what happens in the final book of the series!
Cometh the hour 3 40 Dec 09, 2018 06:35AM

• Mightier than the Sword: by Jeffrey Archer (The Clifton Chronicles Series, Book 5) | Summary & Analysis
  • Jeffrey Archer: Stranger than Fiction
  • Um Pingo na Água
  • Pigen fra den franske skole
  • Os Pássaros
  • Qualquer Coisa de Bom
  • Indtil vanvid, indtil døden
  • As aves não têm céu
  • En uretfærdig tid
  • The Lucifer Network (Sam Packer, #2)
  • Mysteriet i Genbrugsen
  • Jeffrey Archer Presents: New Wife
  • Pitbull (Kaldan og Schäfer, #3)
  • O Binóculo Mágico
  • Scorpion Trail
  • Løvinden: Karen Blixen i Afrika
  • Proxy
  • Kika & Me: How One Guide Dog Changed My Life
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married

The Clifton Chronicles (7 books)
  • Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles, #1)
  • The Sins of the Father (The Clifton Chronicles, #2)
  • Best Kept Secret (The Clifton Chronicles, #3)
  • Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles, #4)
  • Mightier Than the Sword (The Clifton Chronicles, #5)
  • This Was a Man (The Clifton Chronicles, #7)