Start by marking “Blood Junction (India Kane #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood Junction (India Kane #1)

Blood Junction

(India Kane #1)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  136 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Winner of the CWA Debut Dagger, CJ Carver's debut thriller is a dark and gripping story set in a town with a pitch-dark legacy of blood.

Journalist India Kane's trip to the Australian outback takes a horrifying turn when she arrives in the town of Cooinda to find that her best friend Lauren is missing.

Seemingly no one knows what has happened to her, but it's not long befor
Published October 22nd 2015 by Zaffre (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Junction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Junction

Kirsty Darbyshire

I picked this up to read a couple of chapters in the bath. Then I found myself halfway through and the bath water was cold. I think that means that I'm finding it a pretty captivating story so far.

India Kane's car breaks down in the outback when she's on her way to meet her best friend. She gets a ride into a small outback town and is almost immediately arrested for the murders of both her best friend and the man who picked her up on the road.

Carver seems like a good writer so far; both the se

Laraine
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
4-41/2 star read. I discovered Caroline Carver recently and am now determined to read all her books. This book is the first of her two India Kane series. India is a journalist who returns to her home country of Australia and becomes enmeshed in a story in the Outback. When her friend and another person are murdered, India is arrested for the deed and has to try to figure out who killed them and why. This leads to a much bigger story with much adventure along the way. A real page turner.
Deborah McHugh
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Explosively gripping

Carved out it all in this book! Tense,thrilling, and a little Aboriginal history. Love, love this book. Read through the night. A great ride.
Michael
In the beginning of the story, the reader becomes aware of the horrific manner in which the area got its name. Forty years ago, an entire family of Aborigines were massacured at this spot. Thereafter, the area became known as Blood Junction.

In the present day, reporter India Kane travels to this outback area in Australia to meet her friend, Lauren, for a mini vacation. India's car breaks down in a desolute part of the desert and she gets a ride into town from Terence Dunn.

The next morning, while
Emily
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carver deftly weaves Australian history and the plight of the Aborigines through a modern tale of murder, conspiracy and racism in this, her first novel.
India Kane is taking a vacation from her journalism job in London to return to her childhood home of Australia. She is meeting a friend who has uncovered some of India’s long-lost relatives. Just as she arrives in the remote outback town in which she is to meet her friend, she is suddenly arrested for murder. What she uncovers while investigati
Sam
Aug 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This was Carver's first novel and it is a cracker. The story begins with the event behind the title when a group of Aborigine men are attacked and killed in cold blood in a small town set deep in the Australian outback. This sets the scene for continued blood shed in this area years later as a pharmaceutical company takes racism to a whole new level. Thrown into this is India Kane a journalist on a journey to discover her long lost family with the help of her life long friend Lauren. Following t ...more
LINCCReviews
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel deservedly received good reviews and award recognition. I will not repeat the story line provided in other on line reviews except to say, we selected to read this book aloud because of our plans to visit "down under" and wanted to learn something of the aboriginal / white cultures of Australia. The story is a compelling mystery and thriller that brings the reader back in time to both the 1950's of remote western Australia. The story provides insights into how ancient Aborigines think ...more
LJ
BLOOD JUNCTION – G
Caroline Carver – 1st book
When journalist India Kane travels from Sydney to the outback town of Cooinda for a reunion with her friend, Lauren, she has no idea of the town's appalling history. Forty years earlier an entire aboriginal family had been massacred there. Picked up by an off-duty cop when her car dies en route, India arrives in Cooinda to find that Lauren has disappeared. The next day Lauren's body-and the cop who helped India-are found murdered. India, the last perso
Kristen
If you love great mystery series, the India Kane series is the one for you. India Kane is a journalist from London and now living in Australia. When she went to visit her best friend Lauren, she's arrested for her murder and winds up in jail. Surely she believes it's a mistake and is released, when someone else is in jail, and she discovers what Lauren was investigated that ended up getting her killed. When she investigates it herself, she ends up in deep trouble, while she discovers what happen ...more
Ruth
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, series
Sandy Hall
Nov 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ltorrealba
I can't decide what to make of this book, or if I recommend it. It took a while to draw me in, but about halfway through I got really hooked- even stressed out by the tense drama. The main character seemed a bit unbelievable but I liked her - sometimes too trusting, sometimes too skeptical, too lucky at narrowly escaping, too unlucky for ending up in so many harrowing situations. I guess it was a good book for killing time on a business trip.
J. Ewbank
This is a very good book, especially for a first book. She has written books since this one and I would be inclined to read them when I come across them.

This is in the mystery, suspense area. She does a good job with the characters and the plot.

The plot is very comples for a first book and she is able to handle it well.

A good read.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
I recently picked this up off a discount book table at a used bookstore as I thought it might be a good read. I did not expect to be as captivated by the plot and characters as I was. I had a hard time putting it down and found that Carver did an excellent job building a web of events that are deeply connected. It is definitely an excellent read and I'll pick up more books by this author!
Linda Kwiatkowski
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent story and well written
Ali
Oct 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a good story. not the greatest page turner but easy to read
Carole
Nice debut novel. Had trouble finishing the last few chapters since it was rather predictable. I'd like to give another one of her books a try.
Crystalpumpkinpup
Bit of a slow start and a little herky-jerky at times. Enjoyable with a good ending that keeps you reading.
Penny
May 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting and gritty look at Australia
Mariana
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Not bad. It was nice to read something from Australia and learning something new.
Kendrick
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is an action packed, edge of your seat book that i definitely recommend
Jane
Aug 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another read for the International Women of Mystery. Must be quite compelling - read it in two days. Interesting premise - not sure if I was sold on it though.
Maddy
nypl
Cindy
May 13, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Caroline Carver is now writing under the name C.J. Carver and her books have been re-published here.

India Kane (3 books)
  • Black Tide (India Kane #2)
  • Dead Heat (India Kane #3)
“saw he’d been shot. His shirt . .” 0 likes