Start by marking “Pig the Winner” as Want to Read:
Pig the Winner

Pig the Winner

(Pig the Pug #3)

Pig was a pug and I'm sorry to say if he didn't come first it would ruin his day. Won't he ever learn?

Pig, the world's greediest Pug, won't play fair. He'll do anything to win!
Published March 1st 2016 by Scholastic Australia

To ask other readers questions about Pig the Winner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pig the Winner

Stacy
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I'm confused. After the Pig falls in the bin, "These days it's different . . ." Choking didn't phase him, but falling in a trash can gave him a change of heart? Did he suffer memory loss from the fall and suddenly "plays to have fun." Yet, at the end, he is still a cheater. This is one horrible dog.
Abigail
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pig the Pug Fans
The obnoxious Pig the Pug and his long-suffering companion, Trevor the Dachshund, return in this third picture-book chronicling their adventures together. Once again modeling bad behavior, Pig insists on always being the winner, throwing temper tantrums when he loses and gloating when he doesn't. His competitive streak backfires however, when he turns eating into a race, and accidentally swallows his bowl...

Like its predecessors, Pig the Winner pairs an entertaining tale told in rhyme - "Pig was
Gaby
I love Pig the Pug and his new story is just as hilarious as the first two. I can't wait to read this to the kids at school - I have bought multiple copies because I just know that it will be a very popular library book!
Pauline
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My favourite of all Pig the Pug stories.
Melanie Dulaney
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Aaron Blabey’s books bring a smile to this librarian’s face as well as to the faces of my teachers and students. Pig the pug is learning another lesson in this one and along the way will hopefully teach young readers/listeners to be good winners as well as gracious losers. Author/illustrator Blabey continues to produce such expressive faces and humorous details on every page and with every character in his Pig, Thelma and Bad Guys books. I look forward to seeing what new personalities he will cr ...more
Kate
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE PIG THE PUG.
Susan Liston
Made me laugh outloud. Don't know why. Perhaps Pig reminds me of someone? I mention no names.
Lenin Moore
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm surprised I wasn't kicked out of barnes and noble for laughing so hard at this book 😂😂😂😂
Dimity Powell
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-lit
Winner!
Debbie Smith
Oct 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-book
We all know children (and adults) who are very competitive and need to win to be happy. This book is about a pug who has to win or he throws a fit, screams and sulks. Where the book goes wrong for me is at the end. For those who care, *Spoiler Alert. * Pig, the pug, is so intent on finishing his bowl of food before his friend Trevor, that he cheats by yelling "go" before Trevor is ready. Then he is eating so fast that he swallows the bowl and begins choking. Trevor saves Pig, but the only thanks ...more
Courtney Conaway
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pig the Winner by Aaron Blabey is a hilarious children's book! I was a fan of Pig the Pug, but, in my opinion this one is even better! Pig the pug is at it again finding ways to irritate his friend, Trevor, the wiener dog. In this picture book, Pig is outrageously competitive. It turns into a humorous story when he challenges Trevor in who can eat the fastest. Pig gets choked on his bowl, and it's Trevor to the rescue! After this incident, Pig learns to play a little more fairly. Teachers would ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Blabey, Aaron Pig the Winner. PICTURE BOOK. Scholastic Press, 2017. $15.

Pig the Pug is obsessed with winning. He is neither a good loser, nor a good winner, instead he is a whining braggart. Trevor tries really hard to be considerate, but even eating is a full body win-at-all-costs proposition for Pig. When things go awry, maybe (?) Pig has learned a lesson?

There are certainly those kinds of kids in every classroom – kids that want to win at all costs. This is not the book to help nudge them in
Barbara
Pig is not the easiest friend in the world to have. After all, Pig is rude, terribly competitive, and obsessed about winning at all costs. Whenever he and is friend Trevor play a game, he isn't interested in anything but coming in first or winning. This even translates to the way he eats, gobbling his food as fast as possible in order to finish before Trevor. He learns an important lesson as the result of his greed and isn't quite as greedy as he was before. He still likes to cheat, though. The ...more
Allison Wade
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pig the Pug loves to win. But more importantly, he cant stand to lose. He will do whatever it takes to win at all times! Pig will always find a way to win, even if it means cheating. Often times, Pig chooses to whine and pout until he gets his way. As you might have guessed, this annoys Pig's friends. When Pig challenges his friend Trevor to see who can eat their food the fastest, Trevor tries to tell Pig that he doesn't want to, but before he can even finish what he is saying, Pig is already sc ...more
Bridget
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
“Yes, Pig was a cheat.”

Pig the Winner by Aaron Blabey is about a pug named Pig, who is a cheater. He loves to win and will do whatever it takes. He does not play nicely, but one day while having an eating contest, Pig learns his lesson. It was such a cute little book. The illustrations were great, I especially loved Pig’s big eyes. The illustrator added some humor to them, taking advantage of the silliness of Pig and the story. Pig experiences quite the character development during the course of
Nick Harriger
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nh
In Pig the Pug's third book Pig is off to his rambunctious ways once again. Pig has to be the winner, and he'll make sure that happens. Whether it's cheating, or throwing a fit Pig finds a way. In the end Trevor saves him and he's not fazed. Getting hit into the bin changes his mind and now Pig lets Trevor win every once in a while..

Is winning the most important thing to you? Write in your journal a time when you played a game and were the winner. Was it important not to brag? Explain what it f
Lindsay
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great series. All the Pig the Pug books are great and my son laughs all the time because of them. In this book, Pig is the winner and no one better tell him otherwise. Poor Trevor, the wiener dog, never gets a break and must go along with Pig as the winner or Pig will go into a pink fit! Although Pig cheats, he still says he won, but I wonder if his mind can be changed? Have fun reading!
Amanda Brooke
Pig the Winner came in the mail before the Scholastic book fair as a preview. I had the students vote for which book they would like me to read from the box and Pig won hands down. This last week I read it over 10 times to classes between k-4th grade. It's funny. It's a very funny book. I think Blabey must have good timing - the pages were set up just right to make the kids laugh out loud. The only thing that might make this book better would be a short Youtube video of a pug having a tantrum.
Michelle
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pig the Pug is at it again! This time he just has to win! We all know a kid like this--one who throws tantrums when he or she doesn't win--and your students do too. In the end, Pig learns his lesson, well...mostly.

The illustrations are bright, silly and engaging. They compliment the text well.

Audience: EC-3
Connections: winning and losing, being a good sport, gluttony, rhyming, self-regulation, Social Emotional Learning (SEL)
Keri Douglas
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This will be a great addition to a school library in the "developing character." Pig the Pug must win at everything (even by cheating) or he pitches a giant fit. He eventually learns that winning isn't everything, although how he learns this lesson wasn't developed very well. Kids will love and teachers will use to help show kids how to win (or not) with some semblance of grace.
Ashlee
My mom got another Pig the Pug book at the book fair for her students. Again, this book has good messages for young children and, again, I'm really biased because I love pugs (and I have one) if it's not already obvious.❤🐾
Brenda Kahn
Our obnoxious pug is back! Pig the pug needs to be #1. Always. And he's not above cheating to get the job done. Poor Trevor. We all know someone obsessed with winning at all costs. The expressive illustrations are hilarious and the rhyme is jaunty. More Pig the Pug please.
Diane
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
If Pig doesn't win honestly, he cheats. If Pig doesn't win altogether, he throws a tantrum until everyone else concedes. Trevor, his friend, only wants to have fun, but Pig insists "It ain't no fun till I've WON!"
Monica
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
During my recent Book Fair a group of 1st Grade boys were huddled around the book and cracking up over the illustrations. Great book to read to a child having a hard time accepting the fact they don't always have to win.
Roben Closs
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Pig is a pug and he LOVES to win. If he doesn't, he will throw a fit. Or - even worse - he will cheat. Of course, sometimes things do not go quite the way Pig expects. And he might need a little help from his oh-so-patient friend.
Robin
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pig the Winner is a hysterical book about a dog that hates to lose and always has to win. He learns a big lesson about the consequences that can come with that. The illustrations are very cute, written in rhyming fashion, and is a cute read-aloud to children.
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pig the Pug is back with his buddy, Trevor, and he's really being mean this time! Pig has to win at everything, even if it means cheating! The kids giggled through read and read of this one even more loudly than the first. Pig the Pug...ugh! We do love him.
Jj
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weirdly educational, and of course entertaining. I cannot think of any other picture book I've ever seen that features an example of dog-on-dog use of the Heimlich maneuver to save a life.

Seriously? The Dachshund (Trevor) performs the Heimlich on the Pug (Pig). YES, please!
Lynda
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Pig the pug is back in this comedic tale about contests, friendship and being a good sport and a good winner.
Atlas Miladin
This book was rather short, but extremely funny. The images really made the story, with the characters silly faces and ridiculous actions played out. This would wonderful for younger children, since it is exciting and would hold their attention.
  • It's Duffy Time!
  • RRRalph
  • I Love Dogs!
  • Puddle Pug
  • Truck Full of Ducks
  • Robinson
  • Quit Calling Me a Monster!
  • The Last King of Angkor Wat
  • You Are Not My Friend, But I Miss You
  • Be Kind
  • Who's on First?
  • Ice Boy
Aaron is an Australian author of children's books and artist who until the mid-2000s was also an actor. His award winning picture books include Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley, The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon and the best-selling Pig the Pug.

In the field of acting, he is probably best known for his lead roles in two television dramedies, 1994's The Damnation of Harvey McHugh, for which he won an

Pig the Pug (7 books)
  • Pig the Pug
  • Pig the Fibber
  • Pig the Elf
  • Pig the Star
  • Pig the Stinker (Pig the Pug)
  • Pig the Tourist (Pig the Pug)