Start by marking “The Dear Departed” as Want to Read:
The Dear Departed

The Dear Departed

Young widow Virginia Paley has no interest in attending the seances at The Society for Eternal Love, but the women of the society are dying mysteriously in their sleep, leaving their fortunes to Professor Arthur Chadwick, its charismatic medium. As her aunt might very well become the next victim, Virginia will do whatever she must to ensure that doesn’t happen. She will ...more
Published February 11th 2016 by Boroughs Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Dear Departed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dear Departed

Start your review of The Dear Departed
C.C. Hrivnak
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**Disclaimer - I received an ARC copy from Silver Dagger Reviewsin exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my review whatsoever.**

First, I must say this tale was set up and executed magnificently. Back in the early 1900s, seances were famously conducted by charlatans in order to reap great sums of money from mourning wealthy patrons. Anne Roebuck takes us to a particular seance where we meet Virginia, a skeptic and recent widow, attending a seance with her aunt.

We witness the usual
Leslie Ann
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Romance and paranormal romance readers
A most enjoyable read. Ms. Roebuck has created a feisty young heroine, Virginia Paley, who will resonate with a modern reader, while set within the milieu of 1890's San Francisco. Jonathan Bradshaw is everything a reader of romantic fiction looks for in the male protagonist--he's handsome, charming, brave, and just a little bit damaged. The villain, Arthur Chadwick, is evil without the stereotypical mustache-twirling. The magical elements add just the right amount of paranormal flavor.

I thought
Susan James
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
1895 San Francisco. Magic. Mystery and Love

This book reminded me of Amanda Quick at the best and I love Amanda Quick.
The characters,plot and setting captured me from the first moment and deposited me regretful at the last page, wishing it hadn’t ended. A late Victorian romp with a lovely intelligent widow and a handsome mysterious magician with a secret. Together they work to uncover a diabolical mastermind whose is helping love starved widows to their deaths.
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 Cranky Stars

Mystery, Magic, and Murder...

Virginia Paley, a pretty young widow, attends a séance at her aunt's behest. But instead of finding messages from beyond the grave, she finds that a charlatan has completely taken her aunt in.

Jonathan Bradshaw, a traveling magician and another new attendee, has his own reasons for being there. Together, they solve many riddles and get a little something extra along the way.

I was completely engrossed from beginning to end, I mean, I read it in one day.
Kishen Kishen
James  Robert
Oct 30, 2017
Corey Hutton
Oct 30, 2017
From my first poem at age 10 and my first short story at age 12, I can’t help writing about my two favorite things – magic and love. An unrepentant nerd, I started out in biomedical research but ended up writing software manuals instead. I spent many years as a member of science fiction and historical reenactment groups and I have been at various times a Renaissance scholar, a druidess, a pirate ...more