Start by marking “What Light” as Want to Read:
What Light

What Light

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  13,243 Ratings  ·  2,564 Reviews
From Jay Asher, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Thirteen Reasons Why, comes a romance that will break your heart, but soon have you believing again. . . .

Sierra's family runs a Christmas tree farm in Oregon—it's a bucolic setting for a girl to grow up in, except that every year, they pack up and move to California to set up their Christmas tree lot for the season.
Published October 18th 2016 by Razorbill (first published October 11th 2016)

Colleen Hoover
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was sent an early copy of this book because I can read. I read this book and LOVED it. You should definitely add it to your TBR list. I would talk more about the book and the characters now but I'm so terrible at reviews, I'm afraid anything I say might deter people from reading this rather than encourage them to read it because my reviews are that bad.
I should just stop here.
This is definitely where I should stop.
Stopping this review right now would be a good idea.
You know what else is a
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Omg, y'all! I loved this book so much! I cried, good tears though.

I put off reading this book for a year and then one of my book groups is reading it this month and I jumped on board. I had NO IDEA that I would love it this much. Sometimes I just love those sentimental, sweet and wonderful books.

Sierra's parents own a tree farm. It's what Sierra has known all of her life. They live in Oregon but ever year they take trees out to California where they have had a lot for many moons. It was in the
Lola
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Five years that I waited for another book by Jay Asher and this is the book he comes to us with?

A typical YA contemporary romance.

Ah, why, oh, why?

Like many people, I was very moved by ‘‘Thirteen Reasons Why’’ and it was actually one of my first reads dealing with suicide.

Then came ‘‘The Future of Us,’’ which I thought was kind of slow and cliché romance-wise but, ultimately, the original idea of being able to see one’s future on one’s Facebook page really entertained me.

But ‘‘What Light’’ is ju
Chelsea Humphrey
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I absolutely adored this book! My book bestie Laura sent me this one today and I finished it in 1 sitting. This had all the Christmas feels I was looking for and a bonus addition of some extra emotional moments involving daddy/daughter relationships. This was a super clean YA book as well, which makes it a nice option for parents looking for something more age appropriate for younger teens. Highly recommend reading this around Christmas, or at least during winter for the full experience.
Cait • A Page with a View
3.5 stars. Christmas is my absolute favorite time of the year, so this story was everything I love! I just wish there had been a bit more of a story there.

Sierra's family runs a Christmas tree farm in Oregon, so she goes with her parents to California to sell their trees every holiday season. She misses a month of school and lives in a camper on their tree lot where a bunch of high school boys work. Her parents are talking about maybe not coming back to California next year, but then Sierra meet
Sana
And here is my first one star rating for 2017. Sadly, the cheese pill didn't work.

Think of all the terrible cheesy and cringe worthy things you can find in a contemporary novel.
That should sum up this book.

Honestly, I was expecting to like this book. I heard it was extremely cheesy and cringy, but I didn't think much of it and thought I would at least give this 3 stars because you know it might not be that bad, and it wasn't bad. It was so fucking terrible that I was tempted to repeatedly slam
emma
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
I know I say this all the time, but I really mean it: I wanted to like this book so badly. I saw good reviews from trusted sources, so I had faith...but I just had so many problems with this book.

Let’s start with the good stuff, though! I really liked the first part. I started reading this late last night/early this morning and stayed up even later to read it. I’m obsessed with the idea of Christmas tree farms, and the setting was done well. Most important
Josu Grilli
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-1-enero
Una novela entretenida sin más.

En Dos vidas no esperaba encontrar nada del otro mundo pese a que la sinopsis me llamó la atención. No he visto en sí una novela, sino más bien un relato largo. Le faltaban muchos elementos y aunque creo que hay ciertas cosas muy orgánicas, en general todas las tramas parecen solucionarse de manera super sencilla.

La química entre Caleb y Sierra me ha gustado, aunque creo que hay algo problemático en toda su relación. Las ideas sobre ser pareja o no, además, se repi
may ❀

I’m so utterly in love with this books it’s nauseating.

Note: this review may be slightly biased because winter is my favourite time of the year and so this book just made me feel really nostalgic – and that’s probably why I love it so much – judge me!

description

What Light is a contemporary written by Jay Asher. Now, I know his previous book, Thirteen Reasons Why was highly controversial and got a lot of negative feedback, but I loved it, so naturally hearing that he published another book got me a
Trina (Between Chapters)
I was sent a copy of this book by Penguin.

Rating & review redacted.
Lala BooksandLala
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
A really sweet and quick Christmas romance.
(I received an advance copy of this book for free. Thanks to Pan Macmillan and NetGalley.)

“Maybe it doesn’t make sense,” I say. “And I’m fully aware that I’m not usually like this, but… I like him.”

This was a YA contemporary romance set at Christmas.

Sierra was an okay character and it was good of her to help her parents out selling trees at Christmas. I did feel a bit sorry for her the way her life was split between two places though.

The storyline in this was about Sierra going down to Calif
Stacee
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of Jay's words for a while, so I greedy grabbed this book off of his name alone.

Love love loved Sierra. She's smart and a genuinely nice person. I loved that she struggled to deal with the two parts of her life, but could recognize that each one was special. That one wasn't better than the other. Of course I'm infatuated with Caleb and I firmly believe there's a gift exchange scene that tops every single other one ever written. Ever.

The story was heartbreaking and hopeful and a
Cheri
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Edit:
Last year I read the "sneak peek" version of this, but I had bought a hard copy for someone younger, and likely to be more appreciative of it - but, being a bit cautious on the "romance" part of this, I wanted to make sure it was something both appropriate for a 13 year old, and something she would enjoy. That's the only edit I will make to my previous review, except to say this is a sweetly innocent look at young love.
Original review below:
--------------------
I read a “Sneak Peek” edition
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Super adorable read that is perfect for the holidays. It was exactly what I hoped for and wanted, which was very comforting.
Heather 'Bookables'
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
2 1/2 out of 5.
I wanted more from this book. I felt the characters & overall story fell flat.
I will say if your looking for a quick, light, Christmasy read this is perfect but I just wanted more depth from it.
 ✨ Dianna ✨ (mylifeasannaidreading)
The book was okay.

But what's not okay is the author sexually harassing women and then writes about them as if he knows how hard life for us is.
jayne
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5

June, 2018:

Ok, I literally wrote this review a 10000 years ago back in November, 2017 and hot damn, looking back at it now, I was seriously salty whilst writing this. So, please, excuse the snobby and whiny undertone. Ew. This book is still bad though, so at least that hasn't changed.

November, 2017:
People think what they want. That's what I've had to accept," he says. "I can fight it, but that's exhausting. I can feel hurt about it, but that's torture. Or I can decide it's their loss,".

I
Maria Espadinha
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O Coração Acende A Luz

Mesmo quando o mundo inteiro conspira contra as escolhas do coração, não há nada que o demova!
Ele é sempre o nosso guia fiel, e ao contrário da mente que se perde em escolhas, dúvidas, julgamentos, avaliações... o coração só conhece uma direcção!

A mente tende a enredar-se naquele emaranhado cruzado de conselhos e opiniões, onde permanece pensando, ponderando, matutando...
Qual mosca numa teia, fica presa e bloqueia ou, pior ainda, envereda por um caminho que diverge do certo
ExlibrisLisa
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 Sterne!
Was für eine wunderschöne magische Weihnachtsgeschichte!
Ich habe bisher noch nicht so viele YA- Romane gelesen und das war auch mein erstes Weihnachtsbuch, es war einfach traumhaft!
Jay Asher hat eine ganz tolle, besinnliche Atmosphäre geschaffen, Sierra und Caleb sind tolle Charaktere und diese unglaublich tollen Aussagen zum Schluss haben mich einige Tränen gekostet.
Ich kann es euch wirklich nur and Herz legen- Weihnachtsstimmung garantiert!
Anniebananie
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 Sterne

Ich glaube das war mein erstes "Weihnachtsbuch" was ich jemals gelesen hab. Und es hat die Stimmung so schön rübergebracht, denn auch wenn es hier derzeit eher grau und nass ist hat mich "Dein Leuchten" mit in eine Welt genommen in der es nach Zimt, Weihnachtsbäumen und Pfefferminz-Mokka duftet. Der Schreibstil hat mir wahnsinnig gut gefallen, es war einfach harmonisch geschrieben. Generell war es das absolute "Wohlfühlbuch". Einfach toll. Werde ich vermutlich nächstes Weihnachten wied
Milka
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, christmas
Rating: 2.5

Oh man... What Light was one of my most expected books of 2016, and I had a very hard time controlling my excitement when I got it as a review copy, but now that I am writing my review, my feelings are just kind of meh... I so desperately wanted to like it, but I constantly kept feeling like something was missing.

I love the concept for the story -- Sierra's family owns a Christmas tree farm in Oregon, and ever since she was little she has spent the month before Christmas in California
Katie Bananas
Cute holiday fluff!!! I haven't read YA in a while, but this gave me the hope of Christmas preparations and the joy of the season!! It was a light and happy read, which I enjoyed, knowing I haven't read a Christmas book for the longest time!! :)

I didn't like the fact that the story was predictable, which took away my excitement during reading. All the well though, it was fuzzy fluff.
What Light is a standalone, contemporary young-adult novel set during Christmastime. It's hard not to compare the author Jay Asher's previous work to this one, and just so you know, there's no comparison. But What Light offers perspective and an inspiring message all its own. The themes incorporated in this story include self-forgiveness, allowing others to move on from their mistakes, second chances, and not casting judgment on others because you never know what you would do when confronted wit ...more
hayden
Jan 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
edit: okay. i've thought more about it, and there's nothing holding me back from giving this one star except for the fact that i don't like giving books one stars. so i'm lowering it.

meh.

can't decide between 1 and 2 stars, so i'll say 1.5 and round up to 2 for the click-rating.

okay. this wasn't a "bad" book, per se. it was just entirely unoriginal. it reminded me a lot of the last crappy jennifer e. smith book, the pink one. you know that clichéd statement about using "every cliché in the book"?
Laura Rash
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Maybe some would say this was cheesy but frankly we could all use more cheese. While being a YA book this still struck a chord with me & I loved it. Sometimes you really just need a cheesy Christmas story to make your heart feel full.
Jaime Arkin

If you’re looking for a cute YA holiday read then look no further. Jay Asher has written a sweet, light-hearted story of friendship, family and falling in love for the first time.

Sierra’s family owns a Christmas tree farm in Oregon where she spends 11 months of the year. Come Thanksgiving, her parents and her are off to California to set up on a lot that’s been a part of her family for ages and sell their trees. For one month Sierra is in a different life, not quite forgetting her frie
Lina Lovegood
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sehr süße Geschichte, die mich total in Weihnachtsstimmung versetzt hat. Außerdem zeigt sie, dass man nicht immer sofort Vorurteile haben sollte, fand ich echt klasse
Amanda
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Okay seriously if this wasn't perfect then I just don't know what is. I'm so full of happiness right now, my Christmas spirit is at a all time high and it's not even Halloween yet. I've never read a Christmas novel before and I'm entirely thrilled this was my first one. This is a story about a family who owns a Christmas tree farm in Oregon, yet spends every year selling Christmas trees for a month leading up to the big day in California. The main character, Sierra, had one of the greatest perso ...more
Renata
Dec 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
I started this book only because I've read Thirteen reasons why and I absolutely loved it, but this book...it's a pure no from me. I was expecting a lot so maybe that was the problem but it was so disappointing for me. I'll write a review soon.
  • Still Life with Tornado
  • Kids of Appetite
  • The Lovely Reckless
  • The Female of the Species
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • untitled (Andromeda Cycle, #1)
  • Shutter
  • Diplomatic Immunity
  • Saving Red
  • Spare and Found Parts
  • Metaltown
  • Leave Me
  • If the Magic Fits (100 Dresses, #1)
Jay Asher was born in Arcadia, California on September 30, 1975. He grew up in a family that encouraged all of his interests, from playing the guitar to his writing. He attended Cuesta College right after graduating from high school. It was here where he wrote his first two children’s books for a class called Children’s Literature Appreciation. At this point in his life, he had decided he wanted t ...more
More about Jay Asher

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
    $9.74 $1.99
  • I Am Not a Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • I Capture the Castle
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
  • Saving Zoë
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“It's your heart. No one else gets a say in that.” 34 likes
“People think what they want. That's what I've had to accept," he says. "I can fight it, but that's exhausting. I can feel hurt about it, but that's torture. Or I can decide it's their loss.” 29 likes