Start by marking “The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations for Clarity, Effectiveness, and Serenity” as Want to Read:
The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations for Clarity, Effectiveness, and Serenity

The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations for Clarity, Effectiveness, and Serenity

A beautifully packaged, gifty daily devotional of Stoic wisdom, from the author of The Obstacle is the Way.

Modern readers praise Stoic philosophy for its unique blend of practicality and wisdom. But it's admittedly hard for the average reader to decipher the Dover Thrift edition of Marcus Aurelius' work. The antiquated, needlessly formal language of most modern translatio
Published October 18th 2016 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about The Daily Stoic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Daily Stoic

Paula Terrado
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read this book already but i still read it everyday. It serves as a book vitamin to me.

❦ It helps me have a positive attitude when i’m feeling down.
❦ It gives me a whole a new perspective.
❦ It helps open my mind and help me understand things.
❦ It helps me find something positive in a negative situation.
❦ It just lifts me.

It may be short but i believe it still served its purpose.

These are just some of the things that this book did to me. I do hope it has the same effect on you. And aside fr
Ying Ying
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook, philosophy
The meditations are so short that they cannot satisfy my daily thirst. However, because the texts are not tightly connected, "reading" quickly on one-go feels like drinking too many different beverages at the same time; soon you lose your feeling.
What this book did do is to re-awaken my interest in stoicism and my desire to go back to the actual texts, which are much more thoughtful and profound, and hence significantly more delightful.
Sean Goh
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pers-dev, philosophy
Read it in just under 6 weeks, rather than a year. Some days are repetitive, but then again so is life, since lessons tend to be repeated until learnt. But as the conclusion says, theory is easy, practice is hard (and never-ending).
___
Stoicism in a nutshell: Virtue (four cardinal virtues of self-control, courage, justice and wisdom) is happiness, and it is our perception of things - rather than the things themsleves - that cause most of our trouble.
The three most essential parts of Stoic philoso
Alejandro
Jan 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of some of Marcus Aurelius' writing so I bought this book looking forward to discovering other ancient Stoic writers. Instead, I found mostly the interpretations of the editor with just small snippets from the Stoic greats. Sometimes it's hard to find the Stoic quotes amidst the simplistic and shallow commentary of the editor.
Raymond
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a really good collection of quotes from Stoic philosophers such as Seneca, Marcus Aurelius, and Epictetus and daily meditations from the authors Ryan Holiday and Stephen Hanselman. I read two meditations a day from December 2016 to July 2017. I enjoyed learning from the wisdom of these philosophers who lived around 2,000 years ago and it amazes me that their words stand the test of time. Big takeaways from the book: Be good, accept the things you can control, realize that the outcome of ...more
Sandy  Kemp
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's perfect for it's purpose, a daily dip into stoic wisdom. Those who rated it one star are judging against a standard it's not attempting to meet. The author does not claim to give the best translations, only accessible ones.

I'm probably going to end up buying this and reading it daily for years.

For those looking for deep dives rather than a daily dip, read Long's translation of Meditations (or Hays for a version that's like having the author put his hand on his shoulder and advise you, whil
Adam McNamara
Stoicism is an ancient philosophy. It asserts that virtue (meaning self-control, courage, justice, and wisdom) is happiness. To achieve virtue, and thus live happily, one must master the three Stoic disciplines: perceptions (how you see and understand the world), actions (how you act based on what you see), and will (how you feel when events are outside your control).

The Daily Stoic is an exercise guide, not a history of Stoicism. Its goal is to help you understand the three disciplines - percep
Jill
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
In one pithy word: rudimentary.

What an affront to the great thinkers of ancient times. Each "daily meditation" is but a tiny drop of water splashing itself into the vast blue sea; nary an impact, nary a difference.

Would not recommend.
Adrianna
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have to admit I wasn't reading this every day, I also started it in April, so I have missed a couple of months, I also skipped some days by just completely forgetting about this book, sometimes even weeks.

However, some of the quotes and analysis of them were quite relatable, sometimes even on the days I would read them. It's rather a flexible and open-minded approach, it is often fitting to your current situation, or one you once found yourself in, your experiences, etc.

Lots of them helped me
Phill
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I bought this book in hopes to get a modern take of stoic philosophy. The book is intended to start on January 1st which is slightly distracting but that's neither here nor there. Each passage has a snippet of a classic stoic philosopher and a few paragraphs on how that particular snippet can be implemented in modern life.

I personally don't particularly see eye to eye with how the authors choose to implement the philosophy. Without getting to political, there is a typical "American" / neolibera
Richard Mulholland
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A life changing book that I read a page a day. I'm now on my second loop.
Samantha C
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
What the author has done is to compile quotes from great Stoics (mostly Marcus Aurelius, Seneca and Epictetus) and try to make it relevant to the common reader by making cringeworthy references to Chuck Palahniuk or other modern figures and extremely shallow commentary.

This book is probably meant for people who have never encountered Stoicism and would be a good start, but not for people already working towards Stoicism. Readers would do better to read Meditations or letters from a stoic instea
Mar 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Started reading this with the new year and stopped today. It was frustratingly repetitive, with only 2 or 3 ideas said over and over again in different ways by different people.
Samy
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: z-2017
This book is meant to be read one day at a time, but I couldn’t help but go through it over the course of a couple of weeks. Emotional stability is something that’s of the utmost importance if you want to make the best decisions in your life. I find that the stoic philosophy lends itself well to distancing yourself from other people’s behavior so that you truly focus on what’s in your own control.

For people who are very future-oriented like me, I think you’ll find that letting go of some of you
VC Gan
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can't believe it has been a year since I bought this book and read it daily. This is an excellent book, which I keep next to my bed and read before I sleep or as soon as I wake up to get me started on the right foot. The daily entries are insightful, impactful and concise. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking to gain some wisdom or someone trying to improve their mindset.
Steve
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent, practical series of meditations drawing on Stoic philosophy that guide everyday living in the modern world. Surprisingly relevant. Occasionally, the application of Stoic philosophy seemed to be drawing a long bow but, overall, beneficial advice. Much better than some of the saccharine advice given in some books of daily readings.
I.C. Robledo
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
I am glad to have this handy book which was a wonderful introduction to Stoic philosophy. Many people may think that philosophy isn't very relevant because it deals with big abstract questions that don't seem to have firm solutions. Well, Stoic philosophy is different. It is completely based on practical understandings and tools we can adopt to live better lives. A common theme that is returned to time and again is that we must keep our minds on what we can control. This may get tiresome to some ...more
Josh McVay
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Couldn’t recommend this enough. This is one New Years resolution that I’ll be forever thankful I picked up. Over the course of the last year these daily devotionals have managed to change the way I look at the world ever so slightly and have opened my mind to a new life philosophy. I have a long way to go in my study of Stoicism (a philosophy based around never making it to the destination) but this served as a perfect primer, opening a door to other great works that I plan on tackling this year ...more
Amy
Mar 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: partially-read
So disappointed in this book. Stoicism isn't for this emotional artist.
Bookish
Sep 18, 2018 added it
Shelves: nonfiction
I pulled The Daily Stoic out of my tsundoku pile a few weeks ago and am so glad I finally cracked it open! Featuring a daily quote from Stoic philosophers (think Marcus Aurelius), each page offers a different concept to chew on. Monthly themes—clarity, pragmatism, virtue and kindness—loosely group the teachings together and provide a bit of structure. It’s been equally fun to sit down and read a month’s worth at a time as it is to read just that day’s entry, almost like a daily horoscope. Who kn ...more
Alexandru
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent stoic ideas from Seneca, Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius, Zeno, Cato. The Bible for any modern stoic. The book contains examples from modern history when explaining ancient stoic concepts and stoic quotes. A nice book in today's world. Recommended for young and old, irrelevant where you live and what do you do for life.
Marianne
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really loved every single Marcus Aurelius quotation - I always mean to get around to reading the Meditations properly; I found that Epictetus was often lovely to chew on; and I suppose both Seneca and the author's own writings were good practice at being stoic about my responses to things ;).

I'm not sorry to say goodbye to this book and pick out a new daily reflection reader for 2018....
Theresa Connors
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection of quotations with commentary focusing on the writings of Epictetus, Seneca, and Marcus Aurelius. Very accessible so if philosophy books aren't your thing, you'd like this one anyway.
Zack Frank
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read one page of this book a day as prescribed and the eloquence and fundamental truths of the Stoic philosophy will seep into your general mindset. I plan to continue this practice indefinitely and hope to further cement the lessons into my attitude, outlook, actions, and life in general.
Ariane
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I haven’t really finished this (I’m not sure you ever do as you can just keep going through again each year), but I’ve set it aside after several months. It does get a little repetitive sometimes, but I’ve enjoyed it - some days I really found the anecdotes enlightening, sometimes more annoying than anything, but I think that’s the nature of stoicism when read by a sensitive person? I’m sure I’ll come back to it again...
JD Welch
Nov 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gave up pretty quickly on this as the commentaries attached to each quotation are clearly geared to "high-octane, action-oriented" douchebros. Skip this and just read to the actual sources. To be fair, I should have looked up this Ryan Holiday asshole beforehand, and I wouldn't have bothered.
Stefan-Iulian Tesoi
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stoicism
When in doubt, read the Daily Stoic! This book is supposed to be read over the course of a year and it indeed took me about a year to read it not because I've read everyday one of the 366 pieces of stoic wisdom but because I've read a bunch of them when I needed advice most. It was great reading it, each time I found strength, wisdom, motivation and inspiration.
DV
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Awesome collection of stoic wisdom. As usual, brilliantly brought together by Ryan Holiday.
Has inspired me to re-read “the obstacle is the way”, “ego is the enemy” and “meditations”.
Jesus
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Me gustó mucho el libro, pero no es un libro para leer en una sentada, creo que es mejor disfrutarlo poco a poco por lo que decidí quitarlo de "reading" y leerlo día a día, me está sirviendo y me servirá toda la vida para ser la persona que quiero ser, va muy acorde a mis creencias de como debe ser una persona para ser feliz y hacer felices a los demás.
PolicemanPrawn
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This is stoicism broken down into daily bite-sized pieces. All satisfactory really, but it can be repetitive, and a little superficial. I couldn't read it day-by-day as you're supposed to, but would read bigger chunks every now and then.
The Yearly Book Reading Challenge 1 7 Jul 24, 2017 08:24PM
Ryan Holiday is media strategist for notorious clients like Tucker Max and Dov Charney. After dropping out of college at 19 to apprentice under the strategist Robert Greene, he went on to advise many bestselling authors and multi-platinum musicians. He is the Director of Marketing at American Apparel, where his work in advertising was internationally known. His strategies are used as case studies ...more
“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” 10 likes
“BE RUTHLESS TO THE THINGS THAT DON’T MATTER “How many have laid waste to your life when you weren’t aware of what you were losing, how much was wasted in pointless grief, foolish joy, greedy desire, and social amusements—how little of your own was left to you. You will realize you are dying before your time!” —SENECA, ON THE BREVITY OF LIFE, 3.3b” 5 likes