Start by marking “Rabbit's Bad Habits (Rabbit and Bear, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rabbit's Bad Habits (Rabbit and Bear, #1)

Rabbit's Bad Habits

(Rabbit and Bear #1)

'Rabbit's Bad Habits is a breath of fresh air in children's fiction, a laugh-out-loud story of rabbit and wolf and bear, of avalanches and snowmen. The sort of story that makes you want to send your children to bed early, so you can read it to them.' Neil Gaiman

From novelist and playwright Julian Gough, and the winner of the Roald Dahl Funny Prize, Jim Field, comes a brill

Published January 14th 2016 by Hodder Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Rabbit's Bad Habits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rabbit's Bad Habits

Carla Johnson-Hicks
My son grew up with me reading him Frog and Toad are friends, this is not Frog and Toad. It is a much more realistic view of animals, although not completely. We have a grumpy, thieving, poop eating rabbit and a happy-go-lucky bear. Rabbit is always trying to tell bear he is not very smart, yet he is embarrassed about eating his own poop. When a hungry carnivorous wolf is on the chase to eat rabbit, bear tries several things to help him, finally becoming successful. They become friends, make a s ...more
La Coccinelle
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Yes, this picture book is over 100 pages long. But it doesn't really feel like it. It reads pretty quickly, since there are plenty of pictures (there's even a cool map in the front so we can see where the story takes place).

It's a very wintry story, and the colour palette of blue, white, black, and grey reflects that. Bear wakes up after what she thinks is a nightmare about being robbed of all her stored food. Since she's up anyway, she decides to build a snowman. It's during this activity that
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Rabbit’s Bad Habits gets off to a rather abrupt start, and thus the first couple of pages are a tad bit awkward. After that, though, it swiftly becomes a charming tale of burgeoning friendship between two characters that are very opposite of each in almost every way. Neil Gaiman said that it is “The sort of story that makes you want to send your children to bed early, so you can read it to them” and I cannot disagree with that. I read it cover to cover twice in a row and am at this moment biding ...more
Дес Ананиева
The cutest thing ever
Rachael
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in a pile of books I was shelving at the library, I liked the cover and loved the illustrations inside. The story is brilliant for really young readers. The rabbit's bad habits were not what I was expecting! I will be recommending and waiting for the next one in the series!
Kathy
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jbooks, fiction
I LOVED the illustrations. It's a cute book about friendship and rabbits eating their own poo. Kids will love it. 🤣
Tanyia
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junior-fiction, 2016
This book is a delight. Gorgeous illustrations and a lovely story of friendship. Perfect for 6-8 year olds.
Vera Godley
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sized just right for young readers to have a "real book" that they can read, this volume is the first of a series about Rabbit and Bear and the series holds promise for popular "chapter books" (though it isn't divided into chapters).

The illustrations are spot-on attention grabbing for these young readers and even young reader-listeners.

Its Winter and Bear awakes from hibernation and is hungry but her food is missing. So bear makes a snowman.

At this point Rabbit enters the story since the snowman
Stacie
This middle-grade chapter book is great for kids who like a little silliness in their stories. Bear wakes up a bit early from his hibernation to discover his food stash has been stolen. When she leaves her cave to look for the food snatcher, no one is there, but it is snowing. After the snow stops she begins to build a snowman and finds herself next to Rabbit. As Bear and Rabbit get to know each other, there is a lot of laugh-out-loud moments and one big awkward moment when Bear discovers Rabbit ...more
Mathew
As an answer to all those animal stories where everyone is painfully well-behaved, Gough and Field carnivalise the whole thing by having a poo-eating, rather grumpy rabbit - slave to his own adaptive genes and a rather placid, wonderful female bear. Together we have a series of very funny escapades, which my four year-old loved and mum found plain stupid, with a good dose of animal facts thrown in for good measure (I liked these bits). For those children that like a spicy sense of humour and are ...more
Rebecca
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. Humorous and not what you are expecting. It is a big step away from the usual all-friendly animal books, you are faced with a poo-eating rabbit, a carnivorous wolf trying to eat the rabbit but also a lovely placid bear who is just lovely. There is a great educational side to the book too, talking about gravity, habitats and also rabbit digestion, so there are some great classroom ideas that you could explore with this. I would say this would also make a great class reader, ...more
Joy
Kids will burst into giggles when they discover rabbit’s embarrassing habit. The illustrations are excellent and really add to this new series for transitional readers.
Jenny
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This is not exactly a picture book (though it has WONDERFUL illustrations) and not exactly a chapter book...but whatever it is, it's darling! Rabbit sneaks into Bear's den and steals his honey, salmon and beetle's eggs and wakes Bear from his sleep. Bear is cranky and sleepy and Rabbit is a riot.
Anne
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read for my elementary school library/students. This is a great book about friendships. I enjoyed the pictures and the story is strong - kids will enjoy how rabbit becomes a good friend to bear and their conversation about poo. My earlier grades (second through third) will enjoy this.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Bear is peacefully sleeping through the winter when she is awakened by a thief stealing her stockpile of food. She stumbles out of her cave into the snow, and decides that as long as she's awake, she might as well build a snowman. The cranky Rabbit is determined to build a bigger, better snowman on the neighboring hill, but when the ravenous Wolf shows up, Rabbit's plans take a dangerous turn when he can't get back to his safe burrow.
Who stole all of Bear's food? How will Rabbit get to safety? W
Becky Watson
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent in every way. Just the right length for bed time. Beautifully illustrated with a funny, intelligent and subtley educational story that is perfect for 5-8 year olds. We love it.
Kristi Bernard
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stealing is a bad thing and so is eating your own poo. But, that doesn’t stop Rabbit, these are his bad habits.

Bear was awoken, during his hibernation, by something standing on his nose. He’d discovered all of his food had been stolen. Outside, Bear did not find his food and instead decided to make a snowman. A snowy day was perfect for that. It was then that he met Rabbit, who was a little grumpy. Together they made a snowman, and chased off Wolf, who tried to eat Rabbit. Bear and Rabbit were b
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
#FirstLine ~ As the robber left the cave, he stood on Bear's nose.

This story is one I won't forget anytime soon. It was educational, humorous and original. It was delightful and had many themes that will interest both kids and adults. The illustrations capture the emotions of the characters so beautifully. It was a book my son read in one quick sitting and said it was a "nice story with funny characters, who do funny things". A book that would make are perfect book for parents to read to their k
Ayodeji Alaka
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A line: "I'm sick of having my dinner run away from me at forty miles per hour" by a frustrated Wolf, is typical of many-funny-fast-paced-moments that characterise life, for 'Rabbit & Bear' in a fictional Pine-Tree infused setting spanning 'The Cliff of a Thousand Birds (North-West) to 'The Bog of Frogs' (South-East).

Listening to a child ask for a second helping (and more) of this narrative is priceless.
Jesse
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though there were a couple of sticking points that are usually dealbreakers for me (calling someone an idiot or stupid, gross humor, not treating friends well/apologizing for bad behavior) this was still a hilarious good time! If I can overlook those few issues I can see the absolute draw this will have for kids. I'll admit, I even laughed out loud a few times. I'll definitely be reading more in the series to see if it improves.
Kendall H
This is the first full-text fiction book that my soon-to-be-eight-year-old has read on his own. He usually reads aloud to me or his dad for his required school reading minutes, or he flips through graphic novels or image-heavy nonfiction. But he read this alone just for fun and loved it. We were sad to see that the next series volumes aren't out in the US yet (UK originally), but we're ordering import copies to encourage him to continue.
Tara
I received this arc from Netgalley for an honest review. This is a book about Bear and Rabbit and friendship. It will be well liked by most kids but I thought it was bizarre. Rabbit "Then he did a little poo and ate it. This rather embarrassing habit was the reason Rabbit never invited people over for lunch". Come again? They couldn't come up with a better habit other than a rabbit that eats its own poo?
Jessica
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved, loved this book! The illustrations only added to they story. Bear finds his food supplies stolen in the middle of winter and decides that since he's up that he wants to make a snowman. He meets rabbit and goes on from there. I enjoyed the map and liked the story so much I already purchased and read the second one! Kids have already been checking it out and liking it.
Asti
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-borrowed
Cute quick little story! Loved the combo of grumpy thieving rabbit and happy innocent bear, and the friendship that blossomed between the two. Illustrations are plentiful and really add character to the story. And there’s stuff to learn about gravity, bear hibernation and rabbit poo! What more could you want from a book?
Two BookWorms Blog
This story is delightfully funny, if a bit wacky. Although Bear is sweet, and Rabbit is not, both turn out to be lovable characters in their own way.

For the full review: https://twobookwormsblog.wordpress.co...
Jessica McAllister
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
I wasn't a big fan of this. I think there is definitely an audience for this sort of story but that audience wasn't me.
I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Sam
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: earlyreader
If you need a book that talks about a rabbit eating its own poo (and I'm pretty sure I have a bunch of kids that need this book), you've found it! It's a light fun read and poo is talked about enough to get a real set of giggles going.
Chris Hays
An interesting take on friendship and what it means to help one another. I love the teaching details of the large words within the book. This might be best used as a read aloud vs. a beginning reader, yet I think students will enjoy it either way.
Kirsten
This is adorable and funny, with some great introductory science concepts nicely introduced, along with lessons on friendship and social acceptance.
I never gift children's books without reading them first. This goes on the approved gift list.
Mary
This is an early chapter book with great illustrations and a funny story. Some of it was abrupt and the rabbit calls the bear an idiot so I didn’t rate this as high as I might have. It would make a great read-aloud with 3rd and 4th graders.
« previous 1 3 next »
Questions based on the Rabbit & Bear 1 6 Jul 23, 2016 08:38AM

• Claude at the Beach
  • Woof!
  • A Boy and A Bear in a Boat
  • The Not-a-Pig (Mango & Bambang #1)
  • The Jolley-Rogers and the Cave of Doom
  • Oliver and the Seawigs
  • Be Brave Little Penguin
  • The Crow's Tale
  • Azzi in Between
  • Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep
  • The Infamous Ratsos (The Infamous Ratsos, #1)
  • Tiitiäisen satupuu
  • Goth Girl and the Sinister Symphony (Goth Girl, #4)
  • The Creakers
  • The Memory Tree
  • Tiny Titans, Volume 6: The Treehouse and Beyond!
  • The Restless Girls
  • A Story Like the Wind
Julian Gough is an award winning author of funny stories about serious things. He won the BBC National Short Story Award in 2007 (when it was the biggest prize in the world for a single short story). His “The iHole” was shortlisted for the one-off BBC International Short Story Award in 2012. He has also been shortlisted, twice, for the Everyman Bollinger Wodehouse Prize for comic fiction.

He repres

Rabbit and Bear (4 books)
  • The Pest in the Nest
  • Attack of the Snack
  • A Bite in the Night (Rabbit and Bear, #4)