Start by marking “The Real Liddy James” as Want to Read:
The Real Liddy James

The Real Liddy James

3.34  ·  Rating details ·  385 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
Forty-four, fit, and fabulous, Liddy James is one of New York’s top divorce attorneys, a bestselling author, and a mother of two. Armed with a ruthless reputation and a capsule wardrobe, she glides through the courtrooms and salons of the Manhattan elite with ease. What’s her secret? Liddy will tell you: “I don’t do guilt!”

This is the last thing literature professor Peter
Published September 20th 2016 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Real Liddy James, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real Liddy James

Lorilin
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, fiction
Liddy James has a lot on her plate. She's a successful divorce attorney, bestselling author, frequent talk show guest, and single mother to two boys. Her schedule is packed, and she barely has time to fit it all in--but, somehow (well, with a lot of hired help...), she does. Lately, things aren't going her way, though. Her roof is leaking, her boss is demanding even more from her at work, and her teenage son is acting out. On top of that, her relationship with her ex-husband is even more tense t ...more
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
"The Real Liddy James" is all about a woman who has it all (or at least seems to) and the toll it takes on her life. Liddy is a prominent divorce lawyer in a high profile Manhattan law firm. When she's not working, she's writing how-to books, doing publicity for the law firm, or basically promoting herself in one way or form. Liddy has two children. Matty, a teen, is being primarily raised by her ex-husband Peter and his girlfriend Rose, and Cal is primarily being raised by the nanny. While Lidd ...more
emma
review up NOW at https://emmareadstoomuch.wordpress.co...!! thanks pals! you can also enter for a chance to win one of three copies on my instagram (@emmareadstoomuch)!
----------------------------------------------------------------
a really fun read! i highly recommend this book for anyone looking to extend their palette past YA. it's a great stepping stone between young adult and general fiction. also, the cover is beautiful.

check out my instagram for a giveaway coming out tomorrow! Putnam was
Brenda Ayala
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-to-read
I was completely immersed in this novel until the very last chapter. I accepted each portion of the book as it came, blissfully enjoying watching Liddy go through her midlife crisis. She stumbled and fell, which felt a little too out of left field, but I accepted it and moved on. She spun ruthlessly out of control, then needed to limp into the corner and lick her wounds. I was rooting for her throughout all of it.

Then that last chapter happened. The chapter that changed Liddy's personality entir
Joanne Liddy-mctavish
I picked it up because of the "name" yet enjoyed the reminisce of my career when my three boys were younger (though NOTHING like hers). The Irish factor was a plus!!
Myndi
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Liddy James appears to have it all: a successful and satisfying career, two beautiful boys, and all the perks that come along with privilege. She even seems to have a wonderful relationship with her older son’s quasi-stepmother, both sides working together to co-parent. But, success comes at a cost, and the reality of that cost comes crashing down on Liddy at the worst possible time, leaving her wondering what the right path is for her.
The reviews for this book are all over the place and I think
Joodith
Jul 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I was ready for a book “whip-smart and crackling with energy” and “wonderfully funny”. Unfortunately this is neither.

Forty-four year old Liddy James, divorced mother of two is the definition of Successful Career Woman. Manhattan's top divorce lawyer she is a force to be reckoned with. Ex-husband Peter and their sullen teenage son, along with Liddy's fatherless six-year old, are now living with Peter's new partner, Rose in the former marital home. All three adults are on friendly terms and get t
Tony Parsons
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lydia “Liddy” Mary Murphy met Peter James at the Cornelia street café.
It wasn’t long & they fell in love, & got married.
Cal James (oldest son) & Matty James (youngest son) soon came along to liven up the family dynamics.

Mrs. Liddy James (44, mother, Catholic, Irish, narrator, nee Murphy, Stanford, bestselling author) now is a rising star attorney at Oates & Associates.
Curtis Oates (attorney, Oates & Associates) is of course her boss.
Peter James (Liddy’s 1st. husband, PhD), is
Shari Henry
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had said another book was my favorite piece of Chick Lit this 2016 Summer but I've changed my mind. The Real Liddy James has it all: career, romance, family, women's issues, family stuff, and so much more, in a fast-paced, mostly believable tale about a 40something NYC power attorney who has it all until she implodes on national television. The awful and feared thing becomes the very thing that saves her.

There's some beautiful writing here, too, and plenty to make the thoughtful reader pause a
Rhiannon Johnson
Nov 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Read my full review here:

Disclaimer: I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I received no additional compensation.

My Review:
This jumped on my radar as soon as I saw it. I tried to request a copy and let's just say it was one of the longest, weirdest, and funniest go-rounds I have had in book blogging. Originally, the cover caught my eye (just like The Guineveres) and the topic always intrigues me, "working mothers." I liked tha
CeeMarie
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was just an Ok read for me. The writing style was good, interesting, and paced well. The author grabbed my attention and I felt connected to the story and the characters. I felt emotional at times about these fictional people and in a way that I know the writing is good. BUT the story itself, was just OK. I may have felt connected to the characters but I didn't really like most of them. They were cliche and sometimes downright odd. Not odd in supposed to be quirky but odd in "why are they w ...more
Jill
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
It seems as though Liddy has it all, but from the moment she breaks into tears from a fellow lawyer giving a quote from an Edith Warton novel, you know everything isn't as perfect as it seems. It reminded me a bit of 'I Don't Know How She Does It". The idea that you can have it all and be everything and keep all these balls in the air. The stress of maintaining it all to keep her income level steady to support all the people in her life who depend on her is overwhelming and I love the glimpses s ...more
Lauren
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I always enjoy books with a strong female lead, and this was no exception. What was interesting for me was that I actually loved the supporting character of Rose even more than Liddy herself. Rose is strong and vibrant in a more understated manor than Liddy, but has stepped into Liddy's shoes despite many challenges which made her such an interesting character. If Anne-marie Casey writes another book, I would love for Rose to be the star. I would recommend this book to anyone in need of a remind ...more
Erin Tuzuner
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
It's a rom-tragi-com, the most post of modern day tales. Rich, intelligent people who cannot make love work as they hurl themselves into their professions and the occasional cliche.
Leigh
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
To be featured in Sept. Women's Fiction Blog at Heroes and Heartbreakers -- This is definitely one of my favorite books of this year!
Stephanie
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, chick-lit
Liddy James is a woman who appears to have it all figured out – she successfully co-parents with her ex-husband Peter and his partner Rose, she has a high profile career as a divorce attorney in New York, and she is planning her next best-selling book. At least, that’s her life on paper.

In reality, Liddy is consumed with stress and anxiety, her eldest son resents her, and she has given up on having a meaningful relationship.

Liddy has sacrificed her family life for her career goals, in a way re
Gwen
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
An Irish charmer. Liddy James, hard charging divorce attorney with an amicable divorce to her credit, has it all ... aided by her husband's longterm (and newly pregnant) partner, her full time nanny/housekeeper, her driver, her dogwalker. As she's writing a followup to her bestseller, on how to divorce well, she implodes on national television as she realizes no one can actually "have it all." Off to Ireland to find herself, or regroup, or relearn who she is, time and going (almost) home works i ...more
Elicia
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
"It had been years since she had stayed still and listened to a piece of music for its own sake; now she knew why. Music could awaken feelings that she had put to sleep. She had relegated it to a backdrop for meditation, or a motivational tool for exercise, the relentless reinforcing of the awesomeness of everything."

Light and enjoyable read.
Janelle
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an ARC quite a while ago I’m ashamed to say. Now that I finally got around to reading it I’m so glad I didn’t wait any longer. This book was thoroughly enjoyable. She’s tough and tender and learns som valuable life lessons we could all learn from. I would definitely seek out other books by this author.
Agatha Glowacki
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story and the characters. Genuinely good people who grew in maturity and wisdom throughout the book, and ended up making the right choices. Liddy reminded me of myself when I was younger and I could identify with both her fierce ambitious phase, as well as her meltdown and revelation about what was truly important in life. I would love to have them all as friends!
Sandy
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought The Real Liddy James was a great book. The main character is a driven divorce lawyer with two sons and a lot of problems, trying to hold her life together in the only way she knows how. She finally loses it and goes in an entirely un"Liddy" direction and finds the life she should have been leading all along. I recommend it highly!
Victoria
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good new years day read.
Kathleen Harville
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Slow to start but I hung in due to the rave reviews. When the story finally gets interesting and you start to actually care for the main character, the books ends abruptly.
Penny
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Wonderful, bitter-sweet account of women, and the cost of having a life AND children.
Jessica
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I can't quite put my finger on why this book didn't fully resonate with me. The main character - Liddy - is a passionate working mom who is an extremely successful divorce attorney. She lives in Manhattan, and her wealth affords her caretakers, housekeepers, drivers, private school for her boys....

Mild spoilers:

She is over-scheduled and flips out on live TV, has to return to Ireland for a respite, realizes there is more to life than work, and quits her job in favor of some consulting / part time
Whitney Sanchez
Sep 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Entertaining, but meh. The message at the end made me want to throw the book across the room.
Krista
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars.
It was okay. I liked it more from about the middle of the story on. I felt like the story jumped track too many times to keep me really invested in it, I couldn't bring myself to care too much for Liddy, or really any of the characters except for the boys. I needed something a little fluffy, and this fit the bill, but I think it will prove to be somewhat forgettable.
Becky Newcomer
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this read!
Emily
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I absolutely enjoyed "The Real Liddy James". I must admit that I had some trouble getting into the book because I found Rose (the new "stepmom") a more sympathetic character than the main character, who is Liddy James. They seemed to be a rather dysfunctional family post-divorce, which of course made Liddy's book premise even more hilarious. That said, once cracks started to show on Liddy's always-perfect exterior, I became very interested. When Liddy has her breakdown she becomes a real person, ...more
Ellen
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Liddy is a shark like divorce attorney and divorced mother of two. Co-parenting with her husband and his significant other complicates an already stress laden life. I enjoyed the book, particularly the summer in Ireland, and would recommend for those Moms looking to have it all with unrealistic expectations.
Anne-Marie Casey is a novelist, screenwriter, and playwright. Her film and TV scripts have been produced in the UK and Ireland and her theatrical adaptations of Little Women and Wuthering Heights enjoyed sell-out runs at the Gate Theatre in Dublin. No One Could Have Guessed the Weather, her first book, was an international bestseller. She is married to the novelist Joseph O'Connor. They live in Du ...more

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Where Hope Begins
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • A Season of Love
  • The Small Rain: A Novel
  • The Great Santini
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Homeland (Crown Family Saga, #1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99