Start by marking “James and the Giant Peach” as Want to Read:
James and the Giant Peach

James and the Giant Peach

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  381,788 ratings  ·  7,113 reviews
"A true genius . . . Roald Dahl is my hero" - David Walliams

From the world's NUMBER ONE STORYTELLER, James and the Giant peach is a children's classic that has captured young reader's imaginations for generations.

James Henry Trotter lives with two ghastly hags.

Aunt Sponge is enormously fat with a face that looks boiled and Aunt Spiker is bony and screeching.

He's very lon
Published September 6th 2007 by Puffin (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about James and the Giant Peach, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Omar As the Cloud People finished painting it and were getting ready to lower it down to earth using strings, the peach crashed into it because it was goin…moreAs the Cloud People finished painting it and were getting ready to lower it down to earth using strings, the peach crashed into it because it was going along the same course.(less)
Chris The hole book? This isn't about holes; this is about a peach.

·  381,788 ratings  ·  7,113 reviews

Start your review of James and the Giant Peach
Miranda Reads
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
A bad trip on the fun dip.

From what I remember from the movie I saw during rainy-day recess in first grade, there's giant fruit, several oversized scary bugs and green glowy wormy things.

It was so surreal and scary to me at the time that I've avoided the movie ever since.

As I (finally) read the book, my scattered childhood memories fell into place. And my initial impression remains essentially the same: A really bad trip on the fun dip.
“I'd rather be fried alive and eaten by Mexicans.”
Ho
Ahmad Sharabiani
James and the Giant Peach, Roald Dahl

James and the Giant Peach is a popular children's novel written in 1961 by British author Roald Dahl. The plot centers on a young English orphan boy who enters a gigantic, magical peach, and has a wild and surreal cross-world adventure with seven magically-altered garden bugs he meets. They set off on a journey to escape from James' two mean and cruel aunts. Roald Dahl was originally going to write about a giant cherry, but changed it to James and the Giant P
Sean Barrs
I read this so many times as a child and I was always so fiercely jealous of James.

James is a dreamer. He has a boring life and one day he gets the opportunity to experience something weird and surreal. Everyday breaks away from mundanity and becomes something exciting and unusual. James makes friends with interesting insects and explores places he has never seen. A giant peach takes him there. His dreams become reality.

This is certainly a story that could make any child (or adult too) fall in
James
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl is a very creative story built for everyone of all ages to enjoy. I think of it as a cross between 3 things: (1) Dr. Seuss, (2) Jack and the Beanstalk and (3) Harry Potter. 4 of 5 stars to this lovely keepsake!

I had to read this book, when it's my namesake, James. But the similarities end there. James' parents have passed away and he lives with his awful aunt and uncle. A mysterious man gives him a package which helps him grow this g
Darth J
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a brief period in my childhood, I was obsessed with this. After seeing the trailer, I noticed that the movie trailer tie-in edition was available in the next month's book order form so I had to have it to read before I saw it.

Then I saw the movie and of course, really loved it. It was whimsical and visually appealing, even if it did deviate from the source material in parts.

I even remember wanting to only eat and drink peach stuff for a while, and since it was the 90's I had to have my Snapp
Muna
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was in third grade, the first great crush of my life, Scott Murphy, stood up on the picnic table outside of the trailer that housed my third grade class and instead of reading his lines -- James' words -- from his paperback copy while we were all trying to rehearse the chapter we were supposed to present to the entire class the next day, he performed the most passionate version of "Paradise City" by Guns N Roses that I have ever seen.

To this day, I love Gun N Roses, I love Scott Murphy, a
Luca Ambrosino
ENGLISH (James and the Giant Peach) / ITALIANO

«Until he was four years old, James Henry Trotter had a happy life. He lived peacefully with his mother and father in a beautiful house beside the sea. There were always plenty of other children for him to play with, and there was the sandy beach for him to run about on, and the ocean to paddle in. It was the perfect life for a small boy»
The problem arises when his parents get eaten by a rhino! However, this regrettable and sad incident marks the be
Michael Finocchiaro
As always, Roald Dahl spins the most fantastic wonderful tales for children and James and the Giant Peach is up there with his greatest ones. It is also a wonderful animated film. Don't deprive your children of fantastic stories such as this one - there are one in a million!
Lynda
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and adults alike
Recommended to Lynda by: Banned Books Group
James and the Giant Peach - B A N N E D!

Recently I joined the Banned Books group and one of the group reads for this month was James and the Giant Peach. I'm sure there are many GR readers who have read a Roald Dahl book and/or seen a movie adaptation of one of his books. If you have, then you would know that Dahl has consistently written stories that entertain children with morals and life lessons that even adults can appreciate.

So why was this book banned?

Let's first take a look at what Jame
Leo .
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story both fascinated and scared me when I was a child. 👍🐯
Krystal
May 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, kid-stuff
I mean, if all audio books were like this, I'd probably listen to a lot more audio books.

Join Academy Award-winning filmmaker, Taika Waititi as he reads James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl, in full across 10 episodes, to raise money for @Partners In Health at: http://www.pih.org/giantpeach

FULL EPISODE 1: James & the Giant Peach w/ Taika & Friends ft. Nick Kroll, Liam & Chris Hemsworth

EP2: Meryl Streep & Benedict Cumberbatch join Taika Waitit to rea
Hannah Greendale

James Henry Trotter is forced to live with his dreadful Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker after his beloved parents are killed in a tragic incident with a rhinoceros. There's no place as dreary and lonely as the house atop the hill where he lives with his aunts. James suspects his bad luck will change after a mysterious man arrives and offers him a bag of magic crystals. The way in which the crystals alter his ci
Patrick
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to be completely honest here. I didn't like this book.

Usually, if I don't care for a book, I keep schtum about it here. Not only is it not as much fun to talk about books I didn't like, but bad-mouthing other author's books is pretty rude.

But, given that Dahl has passed on, and a fair number of people ask me for book recommendations for their kids. I figured I'd chime in with my opinion about this one.

I recently read it with my son, and while it wasn't *awful,* it was just... Meh. I
Mariah Roze
Oct 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mariah Roze by: Matt
2017 is the year of reading Roald Dahl for me! I'm trying to read all his books that I can get my hands on plus reread all the books I've previously read of his :)

When I read this book a very long time ago I rated in 3 stars. I think as an adult I enjoyed reading this book more than I did as a child.

James accidentally drops some magic crystals by an old peach tree. This causes the peach at the top of the tree to grow huge!! James enters the fruit and meets some new friends: a grasshopper, Ladyb
Emily B
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would definitely recommend James and the giant peach. Fun, quirky story that can be loved by all
Matt
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, audiobook
I have always been taught to start at the beginning, which seemed like sage advice when I wanted to explore some of the children's stories that Roald Dahl crafted over his long and illustrious career. Choosing this work, apparently his first stab at children's literature, proved highly entertaining and a wonderful way to spend a few hours. After an accident claims the life of his parents, young James Henry Trotter is sent to live with his wicked aunts, facing a period of miserable adjustment. Wh ...more
Sam Quixote
Magic beans transforms an ordinary peach into a gigantic piece of fruit and its surrounding insect populace human-sized, before going on to rescue James Henry Trotter from his sad life with his evil aunts, Spiker and Sponge.

I remember not really liking James and the Giant Peach all that much when I was a kid but I still thought it was an ok book. On re-reading though, eh, no - it’s not very good at all!

There’s no real story - the peach heads to America for no reason - and plot elements were to
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
“We are now about to visit the most marvelous places and see the most wonderful things!”

So, a couple of month ago I got gifted a whole box of Roal Dahl's books by somebody who knew very well he was my favourite author when I was a child. So, obviously, I decided to re-read all his books. And the more I read them, the more I become convinced that I don't really like Roald Dahl. I mean, his ideas are bizarre and funny but after a while they just become repetitive. Also, he's mean!! I would sincer
midnightfaerie
I read James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl with my five year old. We had just finished Charlotte's Web and I was looking for chapter books I could enjoy as well. And I knew we had the movie so we could watch it when we were done. It turned out to be a great choice. Dahl uses the cliffhanger method at the end of almost every one of his chapters, and each chapter is only a page or two long. That combined with great illustrations, made for a win-win situation. I often ended a chapter only to ha ...more
Jeanette (Again)
I've never visited Central Park, but if I ever do, I'll be watching for the giant peach pit where James Henry Trotter settled happily after his wild excursion.

I knew I liked this book as a kid but I couldn't remember the details of the story. The thing that stayed in my mind all these years was the feeling of claustrophobia when James makes his way inside the peach and finds all the giant, friendly creepy-crawlies inside the peach pit. As a kid you always place yourself within the story, and I
mark monday
used to dream of being James. had my special favorites amongst all the talking insects, but really they were all my favorites. also used to look at animal encyclopedias and write lists of my favorite animals. then I'd imagine going on an Incredible Journey with them. animals are so much better than people!
Ken
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dahl’s first children’s book perfectly captures why he’s such a beloved author.

From the spirt of adventure to the weird quirky comedy of James’s parents being killed by escaped rhinoceros, the book juggles everything that a child would wish to read.

Mostly importantly are the insect characters that inhabit the peach, all play their part in the journey and help educate the reader on natural history.
From the glow worms light to the spiders web used for hammocks.

This book definitely peaked my intere
Amy Talluto
Aug 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
A funny, dark and poetic book. I read this after seeing a documentary about Roald Dahls' life and hearing some of the book's passages narrated within the perspective of his time cramped up in a WWII bomber plane as a bombardier (he was very tall). The peach represents the polar opposite of being in a noisy and clattering war plane, manning a gun and always under the threat of death. The peach is a peaceful, sweet and quiet flying machine.
Connor
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, childrens
My Video Review:

June 12, 2020:
Book/Movie Video Review to Come! I just rewatched the movie for the first time in so long last night, so I just need to organize my thoughts before recording the review.
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
I love how Roald Dahl can transport you; can make your imagination come alive.
He makes you feel like a kid again!
I've read a lot of his work as a child, but never this one. SO it was my first time. And I loved it.

Visit

characters
aPriL does feral sometimes
James Henry Trotter is a sweetie, and I absolutely adore this kid and his garden-friendly insect friends. The illustrations are so cute.

After enduring abusive aunts for three years who despise James after they agreed to raise him from the age of four when his parents died, James meets a mysterious man in the garden who gives him a bag of magical rice-sized crystals. He spills the crystals accidentally near his aunts' sad peach tree losing every one. It's a catastrophe for James, who was hoping f
Cori
Sep 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What an odd little book. Even for Roald Dahl.

I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory recently as part of a reading challenge. While I fully anticipated The Weird (I mean, Dahl's reputation kind of precedes itself), the storyline was still linear and progressed in a way that the reader could sense an impending resolve. It was fun!

James and the Giant Peach had all The Weird, but no direction. It was as if the reader was bobbing through the air on a giant peach subject to the wims of...oh wait.
Labijose
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this book more than 20 years ago. Way better than the movie that came along.

Now I’ve had the chance to listen to it, narrated by no less! than Jeremy Irons. What a wonderful experience! The sense of nostalgia was overwhelming, as Jeremy brought it back to me. Marvelous for both, the story and the narrator!

Noel
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
For some ridiculous reason, I never read any Roald Dahl when I was a kid. So now that my kids are at ages where they can enjoy his books, I’m super excited to be reading these with them. My oldest (6), loved this book. She’s declared it to be the best book ever. I also really enjoyed it, and would have read it myself even if I didn’t have kids. My four year old however was indifferent, she’s mostly excited to watch the movie. 😅
Ricquetta
I remember when this book was read to me by my fifth grade teacher during our daily story time hour. I also remember hating that teacher because he played favorites to a group of girls that bullied me. However, despite my obvious distaste for the class and its inhabitants, I largely attribute that particular teacher for reading out to me some of my most favourite children's books; this particular Roald Dahl was one of them.

In all honesty before re-reading this after some 14 years, the only part
Great Middle Grad...: * BOTM for December is James and the Giant Peach 1 6 15 hours, 24 min ago
Play Book Tag: James and the Giant Peach, 5 stars, by Roald Dahl 4 15 May 03, 2019 04:27PM
Sumaya's reading response 1 5 Jul 16, 2018 10:09PM
Play Book Tag: James and the Giant Peach ~ 4 stars 3 23 Jun 12, 2018 03:38PM
Childrens 3 11 Apr 11, 2017 11:33AM

• The Cat in the Hat (The Cat in the Hat, #1)
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar
  • Charlotte's Web
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: A Play
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • The Lorax
  • The Secret Garden
  • The Giving Tree
  • The Witches: Plays for Children
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • Bridge to Terabithia