Start by marking “Cat Castles: 20 Cardboard Habitats You Can Build Yourself” as Want to Read:
Cat Castles: 20 Cardboard Habitats You Can Build Yourself

Cat Castles: 20 Cardboard Habitats You Can Build Yourself

Build your cat "paw-some" homemade habitats with easy instructions and common materials.

Shoeboxes and paper bags are fine for other cats. But your favorite felines deserve luxurious living spaces! This DIY construction guide includes fun and easy instructions for making cardboard trains, ships, food trucks, rockets, and other hideouts. Also included are tips for climbing towers and scra"paw-some"
Published December 6th 2016 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Cat Castles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Castles

Start your review of Cat Castles: 20 Cardboard Habitats You Can Build Yourself
karen
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafties, kittehs
poor sad maggie...

photo IMG_7900_zpswxbfnicb.jpg

why isn't she living the glamorous cardboard box/rock-and-roll lifestyle that these spoiled cats are enjoying??

photo IMG_8636_zpslwprhzwx.jpg

JUST ADD MORE BOXES, INDEED!

i mean, obviously this is a wildly impractical book;
Sheri
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, cats
Every king/queen needs a castle, and now you can make your own customized royal palace for your beloved feline friend. And if your cat eschews manners and pomp and all the other trappings of the aristocratic class, never fear for there are many other projects and certainly one will suit your cat. Perhaps a pirate ship, or maybe a rocket? The locomotive looks fun. Whatever you choose, it's sure to be hours of fun and frustration for you. Your cat will briefly investigate and then curl up and nap ...more
Christa Van
This is an absolutely ridiculous book that encourages you to decorate cardboard projects for your cat to sit, lay, sleep, play in. No cat has a need for anything this fancy and I deem this a great book for someone who has too much time on their hands. Now excuse me while I start on my first project. P.S. Also contains fabulous photos of projects in use.
Shelli
Everybody loves a good fort!

Clever ideas abound in this slim-ish book, but let's be honest: many of the structures within are going to be more pleasing to humans than to their cats; they're just not fort-like enough to provide the kind of hiding places that kitties really like.

But there are a few treasures, and anyone who knows their cat(s) well will easily be able to modify some of the designs to make them more appealing to their feline companions.
Samantha
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a cute book, this gives ideas and instructions on how to make places for your cat, such as castles, planes etc.

It has beautiful illustrations and the book is just a bit of fun. Perfect for any cat lover and child who needs entertaining over the holidays.

I would recommend this book to cat lovers.

I would like to thank the publisher for sending this in exchange for an honest review.
Holly
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How can you go wrong with building pirate ships and lunch trucks and scratching posts for your kitties? Easy to follow directions and instructions on where to get the supplies if you don't have cardboard boxes or large cardboard tubes lying around. Love it! Plan to make the simplest habitat in the book for our cats. The cat hq is literally just a taped cardboard box with a cool shape cut out of the front of it. Even I can do that one!
Becca
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We made the yellow submarine!! The instructions didn't work out perfectly for us, which led to some frustration (neither the suggested hot glue, nor duct tape, held our cardboard together - we ended up tying edges together with twine. And I bought a hot glue gun just for this!!)... but we still ended up with something really adorable.

For anyone gathering ideas for cat playhouses, this book is AMAZING! And the cat models in the book are too cute.
ʆɛѵi
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, read-2019
Really interesting and crafty ideas. I took a handful from here to try with my cat, but she's so picky the ones I really want to do wouldn't interest her at all. I have access to plenty of boxes, but I'll have to figure something out about the glue gun. There's some useful tips about cutting and bending/folding cardboard boxes at the front of this book. Hoping they'll work as good as advertised.
Trish
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, nonfiction
This has some neat ideas for cat condos.
Shanna Hurd
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Looks like fun, but I didn't make any. I think my cats would crush anything I made out of card board. :) Still a lot of fun to look through this book
Mayda
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, cats
Even if you aren’t compelled to break out the cardboard and a few tools to create some of these abodes, this collection of cat habitats is quite entertaining in its own right. Some of the castles are more complex than others, but there are a few that even the carpentry-challenged could recreate. And the cardboard scratchers look intriguingly simple to construct. Yes, your cat may be happy with a simple box, but think how impressed your friends will be when you show off your handiwork. And you wo ...more
Geoff Battle
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Luckily I work in a business which recycles cardboard, so this was a breeze for me to source the required materials to make this cat castles (and other cardboard designed hideouts). With many DIY craft books I get stranded, requiring some odd piece of paraphernalia which disenfranchises me with the project. It's nearly all cardboard in these cat homes and the small additions are wire or twine and can mostly be left out, although it can be the detail which brings some of these projects to life. ...more
Lauren Read
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really inventive and inspiring -- yet easy -- projects for your feline family's enjoyment.
Rachel
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pets
This is a great little book about building cat houses from cardboard. It covers everything from regular cat towers and scratchers to rockets and pirate ships, and even an actual castle for your kitties. Everything looks fairly easy to build and really sturdy. The only thing I question is how well they'd hold up to my nearly 20-pound cat, particularly those with multiple levels. Overall I really feel like they would hold up well and last a reasonable amount of time compared to the time they take ...more
Steph
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a gorgeous book filled with cute little projects for cat lovers. It makes a great gift!
Christine
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
Cute cat hiding places you can make. Even includes a few cat scratching boards to make.
Heidi
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, cats
What a great book. Instead of spending too much money on store bought boxes make your own. Love it and can't wait to get started.
Carrie
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
My daughters and I looked through this book together. There are some amazing creations made out of cardboard. We decided to give it a whirl since the book made it look so easy. Ours looks nothing like any of the cool creations but it did give us some good ideas that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise. While my cats like to check out their new homes daily they still prefer people furniture.
Pete Keay
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some really good designs, others I might pass on...but that's simply my bias and has nothing to do with the overall quality or contents. The details are clear enough, although I made some substitutions in order to make my structures a little more durable - when Benny gets an attack of the 'crazies' he can shred damn near anything.
Carnegie-Stout Public Library
"Overall, this was a fun and easily customizable project that I can recommend as an entertaining weekend activity for cat lovers of all ages."

Read the rest of Sarah's (and kitty Dexter's) review on the library's blog: https://carnegiestout.blogspot.com/20...
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craft
The perfect book to keep my 14-year-old entertained in the summer. She's made the airplane already and has plans to make more of the projects. Yes, they're simple, but, on the plus side, she's learned how to use a hot glue gun and a box cutter.
Charlene
Not much that a 5 year old couldn't imagine doing with a box.

To point though, don't spend your money on those catnip-laced corrugated scratchers. Get a glue gun, a roll of masking tape, a bag of catnip, and your amazon boxes.
Conrad
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun book to look at, even if the projects are a little over the top. Your cat, of course, does not care what the cardboard box looks like, but you do, and that is important, too. Anyone with a cat should at least page through this book.
Elizabeth Meadows
Cute book! Cute ideas! Cute cat models!
The instructions are very clear and detailed. Most of the projects look very doable.
Hannah
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unowned-but-read
Very wholesome and helpful. I am stealing these cats.
Karen
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super fun cat houses!

Super cute ideas for cat houses! All with step by step directions that are easy to follow. I can't wait to try making my boys a new house!
Sam
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Cute ideas that are simple enough that even I could attempt a cardboard project.
Douglas
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed, I cried - this book was an emotional thrill ride, and everything I hoped it would be.
Sharon Williams
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun read for every cat owner! Great clear photographs and instructions.
Heydi Smith
Pretty fantastic! I really enjoyed all the ideas and easy instructions. My kitties definitely deserve all these castles.

A great project to do with the family.

• Bibliophile: An Illustrated Miscellany
  • The Home Edit: A Guide to Organizing and Realizing Your House Goals
  • Adventure Cats: Living Nine Lives to the Fullest
  • Vietnamese Food Any Day: Simple Recipes for True, Fresh Flavors [a Cookbook]
  • Blueberry Girl
  • Theme Music
  • Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel: The Complete Guide to Mystery, Suspense, and Crime
  • A Highlander Walks into a Bar (Highland, Georgia, #1)
  • Mending Matters: Stitch, Patch, and Repair Your Favorite Denim & More
  • Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea  (A Narwhal and Jelly, #1)
  • Magnolia Table: A Collection of Recipes for Gathering
  • Manfish: A Story of Jacques Cousteau (Books of Discovery for Creative Kids Contruction Fort Books)
  • Big Design, Small Budget: Create a Glamorous Home in Nine Thrifty Steps
  • Queer Eye: Love Yourself. Love Your Life.
  • Maria's Comet
  • Anne of Green Gables Collection
  • Once a Scoundrel (Rogues Redeemed, #3)
  • National Geographic Ultimate Guide to Supernatural Places: Close Encounters, Haunted Houses, and Other Spooky Hot Spots Around the World