Start by marking “The Story of Lucius Cane: Book One” as Want to Read:
The Story of Lucius Cane: Book One

The Story of Lucius Cane: Book One

London, 1794. Lucius Cane, a peculiar sort of vampire, comes upon an opponent the likes of which he has never seen before – a brute with remarkable abilities. But not all is as it seems as their encounter unfolds in a manner that neither of them expected.
Published February 9th 2016 by Vanya Ferreira

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Lucius Cane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Lucius Cane

Raven and Beez
[Note: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review]

London 1794, we have your Victorian Vampire named Lucius Cane, who might seem like a typical vampire in the beginning but later we realize that he is of the good kind... morally I mean.

Then we have 'Jack the Hound' a man who is a semi-werewolf (How is that possible? Read it to find out). I enjoyed his storyline, probably because we get to know the most about him so yes, the ending kind of shocked me.

The story is pretty s
Bookishrealm
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Update: Here's my full review http://www.bookishrealmreviews.com/20...

I was provided with a copy of this book for review by the author for an honest review.

I did not expect what I just read! It was good! I had no idea what I was getting into but this author truly has a way with words. His use of language is beautiful and clearly paints pictures of his scenery and characters. That ending definitely left me wanting more. The only critique I have is that I wanted more back story. I think the reader
Sabrina
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
You can read my full review on my blog! http://omgbooksandmorebooks.blogspot....
This story is very unexpected and unique. It's quite short to what I normally read but the author wonderfully creates detail and life to the characters with few words. There is a cliff hanger but overall it's a very interesting premise and I look forward to what's in store for Lucius. But there is another character who may just challenge Lucius for what he is so I'm looking forward to how those two battle it out.
I b
Akahayla
This book was not at all what I expected it to be. I really loved the ending.
Nada Sobhi
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
The Story of Lucius Cane by Vanya Ferreira is a novella – or short story – introducing the ancient vampire Lucius Cane, who meets an unlikely and strange foe.

An introduction to a series, the story consists of a prologue and seven short chapters.

The novella is quite short and does not leave much room for character development. It does, however, give a good description of both Lucius Cane and his opponent.

The story alternates between Lucius and Jack, also known as Jack the Hound, mostly for his
Anne
Apr 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
As you can see, this is only a very short story, so, luckily for you, this review will also be rather short.

I was pleasantly surprised after reading the first couple of pages. The writing quality is really good. I could see it all happening very vividly. The characters, the surroundings: really well done!

I think Lucius Cane could be in my top 20 of favourite antiheroes. I truly liked his character and he reminds me a little of the Marquis from Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere. Except Lucius is a vampire
Hobart
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader. I also conducted a quick Q&A with the author over there.
---
This first installment is a tale of a couple of atypical takes on supernatural staples.

It’s London in 1794 and we meet a different kind of vampire (for reasons that are sort of explained), but except for one little quirk of personality, he seems like your typical pre-Victorian Vampire. The quirk does seem to save lives, so it’s endearing.

Jack ‘The Hound’ Estenborough is lycanthro
Konna
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Read Review at:

You can never go wrong with the Vampire vs. Werewolf theme in a horror-fantasy novel. Plus, I'm always eager to dive into worlds with supernatural creatures, such as these two. The Story of Lucius Cane is a short novella that promises a lot within this field.

Lucius Cane is apparently a very powerful vampire. Jack Estenborough, aka "The Hound", is a werewolf who is hired to kill Lucius, only to fall into a trap. I have to admit that this stor
Boundless Book Reviews
I can sum this up in three words; definitely a quick read. I’m pretty sure I’ve written longer papers in college. However, they weren’t as entertaining. Vanya is obviously a talented writer and I’m glad I got the opportunity to read this short story. I’m sure The Story of Lucius Cane in just an introduction to a series; and a very nice start I might add.

This is a difficult book for me to rate; based on the writing and the story, it’s a 4 star book, I love it. I prefer books longer than 7,000 wor
Red Haircrow
Mar 17, 2016 rated it liked it
“The Story of Lucius Cane” is a short that promises to be just the beginning in a series of work by Vanya Ferreira. It introduces the characters of Lucius Cane, a vampire, and Jack Estenborough, a.k.a. “The Hound” who became a “half-kind” werewolf after being targeted and marked by a mysterious wolf. Former farmer, turned pirate turned assassin and hunter, Jack is hired to eliminate the debonair yet deadly blood-drinker, but they’re both in for a surprise when the confrontation begins.

Authors ne
M.L. Sparrow
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm not really sure what to say about this story... It was well written for the most part, but it was very short, literally 23 pages, which would be fine if it were meant to be a short story, but from what I can gather by the notice on the cover proclaiming this Book One, I assume it's meant to be part of a series, which you can tell because his book reads like the first few chapters of a larger story. However, that then begs the question, why not hold back on publishing until you had the whole ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Built upon the traditional vampire legends as begun by Bram Stoker, The Story of Lucius Cane introduces us to a small cast of supernatural characters. Jack the Hound was marked by a werewolf as a young man and now fits easily into the human world as a killer for hire, despite his canine-worthy physical attributes. Lucius Cane is a vampire with a soft spot for human beings and a hunger from the blood of his own kind.

The author makes a valiant effort to use the deviations from the normal archetype
Fredrick Danysh
Mar 20, 2016 rated it liked it
In the short story the struggle between a vampire and a werewolf occurs with the ending left in doubt. Not a bad story if you like the genre.
Andretta Schellinger
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
For such a short book it was pretty good.
Clarissa
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it

This is a very very short story about a vampire and a lycan. It was short and sweet and overall a good read. Not to much to it but a battle and a almost killing of a girl. I could def use some more to the story but this being what it is, is good enough.
Carrie Westmoreland Kurtz
I don't typically read vampire books so this was something different for me. This is a short story and, like all short stories, you can't expect very much character development. With most short stories you are basically just thrown right into the story and that is pretty much how this one was too.

The writing is very well done, not too simple but not overly fancy and wordy. I have read many books where it seems like the author was trying too hard to where it was more confusing than enjoyable but
Rajalakshmi Prithviraj
An awesome piece of writing but way too short!!! If only it had been longer, it was a sure shot unputdownable kind of book.

The plot revolves around a vampire who is not into harming humans. Its a different treatment given to typical vampire stories.

The narrative is gripping. Vanya writing style makes one want to read more but sadly the story ends fast. The choice of words give way to beautiful imageries. The mental pictures are accompanied by sound effects. However, the length of the story is a
Leticia
I received this short story from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This was a good starting tale. I would, almost, liken this to a modern Penny Dreadful (where we got Sweeney Todd from originally).

In this story, we meet Lucius Cane who was born a vampire. He stalks his prey Anne Hathborne as she walks home unescorted from a ball. Then we meet Jack, who, on a fateful night, met and survived a Lycanthrope attack. With his father’s death, and his new found half Lycan powers, Jack sets off
Jeanne
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

If there's one thing I can say about this book or rather short story, it left me wanting more.

Just enough information is given throughout the 20 or so pages that leaves you wondering about the world and the characters within it, like Lucius for example. With such a short story I'm left wondering about how he came to be a vampire and just who Tonas is. And does Anne have any further role?

The writing itself is rather simplistic,
Shari Sakurai
Feb 14, 2016 rated it liked it
*I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review *

Lucius Cane is a vampire living in late 1700s London. Book One introduces the reader to the title character as well as antagonist Jack ‘The Hound’ who is trying to kill him.

This is a short, but enjoyable read. Lucius is an intriguing character with a certain amount of empathy for humans. I do prefer vampire novels where the supernatural beings are given a more human side, but still connected to their vampire natures too and this ce
Ashley Tomlinson
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book even though it was super short. Usually, I don't like short books because I don't connect well with it but not in this case. I loved Lucius' character a lot. Even though he was technically the villain I didn't care at all I still liked him. I thought I was over the whole Vampire thing but this book may have sucked me right back in. I also liked Jack the hound and liked that he was kind of werewolf. You'll have to read it to figure out that part but it makes sense if you ...more
Kat Mandu
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kat Mandu says...

In this quick read, we meet ancient vampire Lucius Cane and his opponent, a brutish werewolf named Jack the Hound. Jack the Hound has paid to kill Lucius and an epic showdown waits between them.

I would have liked to see more character descriptions, both physical and mental. Jack the Hound has a lot of background information (he’s a drunk with an abusive father who got transformed as a young kid) but Lucius didn’t get much. In fact, there’s a voice inside his head that I wish I
Daniela W
Mar 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: do-not-read
This short story felt kinda unfinished. Or like a chunk ripped out of a bigger book and not only because of the cliffhanger. This story end right in the middle of something, which always feels like a lazy attempt to make people buy the next book to me. Plus there is something going on with Lucius, that gets no explanation.

Apart from this I was confused why the reader gets to read opponent's whole life story. I thought it's about Lucius? And a big no go for me: The opponent, Jack, is thankful fo
Books In Brogan
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: blog-reviews
This is a very short book pretty much chapter one but the only problem I had was while it is book one the story seemed to start in the middle so no back story or understanding of the title characters.  But the writing and story was interesting enough that I would like to read more.This review was originally posted on Books In Brogan
Pratyusha
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
All in all, the storyline though really good , the shortness of the story took away the suspense time frame. A few more characters in it would have made it more interesting and exciting.

For a short story,It's a really good one to read while travelling (a half-one hour drive story), while having a cup of coffee/tea early in the morning. In the end , a common feeling the readers get is I wish there was more to the story :) . Hoping to see an expanded storyline in book2 with more exciting parts .
Jo
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I like a good Vampire/Werewolf type story as much as the next paranormal fan, but this book just felt a little ... lacking. And that is almost entirely due to its length.

Although the premise is reasonable, and the ending leaves the reader hanging, there is just not enough character development, and the story is a little two dimensional as a result.

For me, this was a tale which needed a little more flesh on the bones. 25 pages just wasn't sufficient to do the story justice.

I received a copy in
Veronica
May 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I received a free PDF copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This story was really short, more like a teaser of a novel instead of a Book 1, but it had a lot of potential. The character and plot so far seem really interesting, so I am looking forward to the next installment!

Things I didn't like: I didn't like that the story seemed to pick up in the middle of something. It was very sudden and I felt like I was missing something important. The writing is pretty simple, which isn't n
Rosie
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Both Lucius and Jack are vicious, yet likable characters and I found myself cheering for them both, unable to stop reading until the story’s end. While the tale is very short, the delivery is so outstanding that I recommend this as a great read to all who enjoy a good thriller, action, adventure, drama and tragic hero or two thrown into their supernatural cocktail.

- Rosie Malezer for Readers' Favorite
Vicki Willis
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-2016, short-stories
This was a very short story full of excitement. It is the first part of a longer story. I liked the alternating perspectives of Lucious and Jack. I thought the writing was descriptive and interesting. It ended with a cliff hanger and I am curious about what will happen next. I also want to know more backstory about Lucious and get more info about Tonas. Overall a great read for me.
Jenny Donovan
Apr 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Good short read for especially if you enjoy reading about vampires and werewolves.