Start by marking “Adela's Curse (The Faeries of Myrnius #1)” as Want to Read:
Adela's Curse (The Faeries of Myrnius #1)

Adela's Curse

(The Faeries of Myrnius #1)

A curse. A murderous scheme. A choice.

A witch and her master capture a young faery and command her to kill their enemy. Adela has no choice but to obey. If she does not, they will force the location of her people’s mountain home from her and kill her. To make matters even worse, the person she is to kill is only a man struggling to save his dying land and mend a broken he
Published March 8th 2016 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Adela's Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adela's Curse

Shantelle
3.5 stars. Adela's Curse was a fun, intriguing fairy tale! I do really enjoy stories about fairies, and Claire Banschbach's take on these fantastical people was great!

This is a fairly short and quick read about a fairy named Adela. She lives with her aunt, and her life is going along normally - with friends and balls and the like - when she encounters a deadly curse and her world is turned upside down.
Will she find a way to protect her people and save a kind count named Stefan? Or will the witch
Kendra Ardnek
I love fairies, have always been fascinated by magical people with wings, so when when Claire asked me to review Adela's Curse, I naturally jumped at the opportunity to read a new spin on the magical, mysterious folk.

Admittedly, it wasn't until last night that I actually sat down and devoured the book, but it wasn't the story's fault that I delayed so long. I was looking for a block of time that I could fully devote to reading, since it was in PDF format, and I didn't want to loose my place.

Read
Elizabeth Koetsier
Oh my goodness. This almost reminds me the the Ella Enchanted world. It's so bright, sweet and an enchanting little adventure. Besides, I love little critters and there were plenty of those. Rafael and Lydia were my favorite characters, their bantering was quite amusing.
Alyssa
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it
What I thought:

I wasn’t quite sure what to expect with this book, to be honest. I mean, faeries can range from pixie like things (Tinker Bell), to crazy dark faeries (I can’t think of an example from the top of my head). So, I didn’t know where this stood.

But, I will say, that I was thoroughly impressed. It’s kinda like a happy medium; happy faeries who each have a job and live in harmony; and dark, magic stuff (though nothing inappropriate).

Also, I was kinda nervous when I saw that there were o
Morgan
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rating: PG (magic and mild violence)

Recommended for: Ages 10 to Adult

I read this book in one day. I enjoyed it very much, the fairy-tale quality of the story, the characters, the tough decisions they had to make...

Writing: 4.5/5

Claire's writing has greatly improved since her last book. She's gotten better at letting the readers in on her characters' thoughts and feelings. I was truly absorbed in the story. There's still some "head-hopping," but it was fairly minor.

Setting: 5/5

Myrnius is a well d
Maddy
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books, reviewed
I really enjoyed this book overall! I will say that I’m normally not a big fan of fantasy, but I did like this one. I absolutely loved the story line, it was fun and unique. I thought that the story moved at a good pace and everything feel into place at the right moments. This book is definitely for you if you enjoy fantasy! It’s a fun and intriguing fairy tale!

“ I received a free copy of this book in exchange of my honest review”
Elizabeth Rawls
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An endearing tale of friendship, love, the threat of war, and overcoming fears. And yes, there are faeries--my favorite part. :)

(I received a free copy as a beta-reader, before its publication date)
Hazel West
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice faery fantasy story, with a likable cast of characters and an interesting plot and universe. Adela was a very likable heroine, and seeing her put into the position she was and struggle with still doing the right thing made me like her even more. I also really loved Damian. He was such a likable character, and his and Adela's relationship was sweet and just felt real and true. Lidia and Rafael, as well as Count Stefan, were enjoyable side characters as well, especially seeing Lidi ...more
Joy Rancatore
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every now and then, you pick up a book, read a few words and instantly realize you've met a new book bestie. For me, my most recent new friend is Adela's Curse by Claire M. Banschbach.

This book holds within its covers faeries galore, magic—both good and evil, action, adventure, intrigue and sacrificial love. Adela faces a seemingly impossible task, one that could rend her very soul if she complies but lead to the death of all she loves if she doesn't. Does she have another choice?

I teared up as
Moriah
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Though I've not read many books about faeries, I found that I really enjoyed "Adela's Curse."
Adela is almost seventy. Old in human years, but young in faery...considering that they live to be six hundred. She cares for the growing things. And she has a tender heart. When she comes across a weeping human child, Adela wants to help. Thus begins her journey. Adela must choose. Will she bend to the will of the one who has control over her? Or will she fight against the curse?
I enjoyed following Ad
Kyle
A very fun "classic" fairy-tale fantasy with all the best, time-honored elements plus a heaping dose of depth. Adela's Curse has engaging protagonists, genuinely creepy and scary villains, and high stakes, and subverts reader expectations in an interesting way as it builds to a conclusion. There's some great stuff here concerning the ethical dilemma of having to kill a genuinely evil person, which leads to an unexpected twist in the arc of one particular character. I love the way this subplot wa ...more
E.B. Dawson
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie-authors
Loved it! I had actually read book 2 in this series first (The Wolf Prince) and loved it. It was super fun to see a few character crossovers and get some more backstory on the world.

The story starts off very soft and simple, but not boring as the main conflict enters soon. From early on I had a pretty good idea of where the story was going to go, but Banschbach orchestrated the story so that what I thought would be the climax was actually just the beginning of the rising action and I was utterl
Lilian
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gifts, reviews
Review:
Adela’s Curse was such a delightful read! It’s about a faerie girl who forced to act against her own will, and enlists a faerie friend to help. Many aspects of the story really drew me in- like the setting of the story, the soft but amazingly sweet romance, and especially the clean, safe, and friendly atmosphere (friends, family).
Content:
Very light + sweet romance. There are mentions of barely-described kissing.
Light mentions of magic. Ex: “The faeries used their magic to protect and nurt
Allison
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
[Read and reviewed as part of a book exchange with the author! Free digital copies of our books were swapped in return for honest reviews.]

An original story of love, conflict, adventure, and chock-full of mythical creatures, Adela's Curse has to be one of the cleanest YA fantasy novels I've read in a while. Adela, a happy young faery, is tricked by a pair of conniving "mortals," who bind her to them with dark sorcery and force her to use her magical powers to suit their twisted agendas. She is f
Alicia
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a charming story that was filled with magic, fairies, battles against evil and selfless acts of friendship and love. I like books with all those things and so I really enjoyed it! I particularly liked the secondary characters Rafael and Lydia (whose banter was fun to read), and the plot was exciting.

I would have liked to learn more about Adela and Damian, two of the main characters who are fairies, and would have liked to have seen more dialogue between them. I loved the setting, though
Jack Fernard
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A MUST OWN for any fan of the faerie world!

This novel was written by someone who clearly has a love of faerie.

Would definitely recommend!
Rachael Steele
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Completely clean, but it wasn't my type of book really.
Julian Daventry
Originally, I was going to comment about how this book was very fast-paced and short, but then I remembered it's kind of a novella, of sorts. And that's just the way they go. Things happen quickly, because there's not a lot of room for rambling.

That being said, the amount of worldbuilding and characterization done is amazing! I really could picture just about everything going on, and I really enjoyed that. The colors, the animals, the places...it was all in vivid detail.

And the story itself, wel
Joseph Leskey
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: petty much anybody
This is quite an entertaining story that is set in a very fine world. Now in some ways, I would definitely give it more than three stars; the setting, characters, and concepts got along with me very well. It took me a couple minutes to get into the flow of the writing, but, once I did, it flowed nicely enough, so that's no problem, really. Also, I don't think the plot is the sort that I generally like best, but that's not the book's fault, being purely due to my subjective opinions. But I'm too ...more
Rachael Ritchey
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Adela's Curse is the first of at least two books, but thankfully it doesn't leave you completely hanging! I wanted more story development between Adela and Damian, but that is a small thing. I'd recommend this book to older middle grade readers and up, anyone who enjoys faeries, magic, a touch of romance, and a good dose of action!
Katherine M
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A terrible curse

A witch binds Adela, ordering her to betray and kill a human-an unthinkable act for a fairy. A sweet fantasy story set in a world I'd like to read more about.
Jen
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun easy read. I'll be giving it to my kids. I think they will like it, too. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Alba Utrera román
I quite liked this book and I'm giving it 3'5 stars. It was cute and well written and I liked the characters and the story, and although it was generally for younger readers, it still kept me interested.
It was pretty quick to read and still the perfect length for the story. I would recommend it for any younger readers (especially early teens) who enjoy reading about magic and romance.

My only criticism is that the cover doesn't look very professional, however, it definitely represents the story
K.F Pharrel
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great story for pre-teens about a big bad witch and kind little “faeries”. I loved how the author described the faerie lifestyle and living conditions from the very beginning, which painted a nice picture and allowed the reader to understand their culture before jumping right into the plot. The fight between good and evil... who will win? Friendship, a little love and romance, some fighting, but mostly a very positive read.
Tricia Mingerink
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I actually finished this a while ago, but thanks to edits, I've gotten a little behind on updating Goodreads.

Overall, I thought this was a good Middle Grade fairy tale. An easy, short, quick, and pleasant read that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to kids as young as 8 or 9. It has some violence, but none of it is too graphic. There is some subtle romance, but nothing that is too in depth. The world building is good, and I can't wait to see where the story goes from here.
Nicole
Deborah O'Carroll
Feb 10, 2018
Merenwen Inglorion
Apr 12, 2017

• Water Princess, Fire Prince (The Rizkaland Legends, #1)
  • Rose of Prophecy: A Beauty and the Beast Novella
  • The Cinderella Theorem (The Lily Sparrow Chronicles)
  • Bitter Winter (Ilyon Chronicles, #5)
  • Blood Ties (Modern Tales of Na Fianna #1)
  • Honor (Rhynan #2)
  • Truth (Makilien, #1)
  • Halayda (Star-Fae Trilogy, #1)
  • Clara's Soldier: A Retelling of the Nutcracker
  • Fly Away Home
  • Red Rain (Unacccepted, #1)
  • Second Son (The Minstrel's Song, #2)
  • Captive of Raven Castle
  • Twinepathy (IDIA #1)
  • Dragon's Bride (The Dragon and the Scholar #4)
  • The Heart of Arcrea (The Arcrean Conquest, #1)
  • A Goose Girl: A Retelling of The Goose Girl (Entwined Tales, #1)
Claire M. Banschbach also writes as C.M. Banschbach.

Claire M. Banschbach is a native West Texan. She discovered a deep and abiding love for fantasy and science fiction at a young age, prompting her to begin exploring worlds armed only with an overactive imagination and a pen. She's an overall dork, pizza addict, and fangirl. She enjoys meshing stories of family and faith with healthy doses of acti

The Faeries of Myrnius (2 books)
  • The Wolf Prince (The Faeries of Myrnius #2)