Start by marking “Delilah: A Ronnie Lake Cold Case (An Accidental Lady Detective, A Private Investigator Crime Series Short Story Book 2)” as Want to Read:

Delilah: A Ronnie Lake Cold Case

(A Ronnie Lake Mystery #2)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
What happens when the music dies...
Steve Lyla wants nothing more than to grant his elderly father's dying wish, to find his sister's killer. Is 50-something, student-sleuth Ronnie Lake ready to take on a cold case more than forty years in the making? As a divorced, downsized empty-nester, Ronnie must follow the trail of undiscovered clues in this short story to get inside
Published January 11th 2016 by Pancora Press

To ask other readers questions about Delilah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delilah

Lucila ✨ not your feisty Latina ✨
*Note: I received this book in exchange for an honest review.*

If you're planning on reading this but you haven't read Stunner yet, then I recommend you read that one first because it will give you a better insight on the MC's personality and her previous experiences with solving crimes.

As to the book itself, it was an OK read, especially because it's really short so you can read it in a day. The first thing I noticed was that Ronnie, the MC, is a 40+ woman (I don't remember her specific age) so
Vanessa Kay
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one's a really short read. I love that it didn't beat on the bush and gave us suspense as early as the first chapter. Well, what do you expect, this is a short story after all haha.

But seriously, I love that I instantly got hooked with this story and was curious what's the case Ronnie is going to take this time. Oh, by the way, Ronnie was the heroine from the previous book that I've read, Searching for Gatsby. And back then, I'm already eyeing her character because she's the most badass
Dame
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Written in the 1st person we journey closely with a mature, female, independently minded, Pinot Noir drinking detective Ronnie and her dog Warrior the German shepherd, into solving this case but it's only her feminine intuition that finds the vital clue. I won't say what clue exactly but reading this mystery I remember that era well, the fashions which thrilled us, innocent attitudes in a world whose values seem to have gone. Like a film set the book brings it all back into focus while we piece ...more
Samah Rifla
Nov 26, 2016 rated it liked it
*Note: I received this book in exchange for an honest review.*

Even tho this book is a short story, it is enjoyable enough and rich with details.
The plot has potential because it was short story and the author rushes to the conclusion. Solving of the case was a little far unrealistic for me and the scenes in leading up to the apprehension of the culprit just didn't ring true for me.

Donna May
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It’s a quick read that you can get through in an hour or so. Definitely more mystery than romance. Too many times, people ignore their intuition. They know something is wrong, but they don’t know what and they don’t pursue it. Ronnie not only listens, but examines it to figure out what is wrong. If you are looking for a good, short book, I highly recommend this one.
Felecia
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Hidden Gem for providing this book to me in exchange for my honest review.

As far as short stories go, this one is top of the line. The author was true to the short story format: there was no unnecessary filler, the story pulled me in from the start and moved at the perfect pace. I look forward to reading more from Niki Danforth.
Pat Eroh
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Interesting story about a very likable character. Love her name - Ronnie Lake. I enjoy shorter stories but this one is long enough - yet not too long. It appears to be the second book as there are references to something happening previously. Either way, it was good on its own but I'm ready the 2nd book (or the first actually) and I love it too.
Debbie Benson
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as part of an ARC review. While short it is well written. I liked how Ronnie uses her instincts and old music to solve a cold case to bring closure to the victim's dying brother. I like Ronnie's guts in how she forced the killer to confess.
Belinda
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Niki Danforth has written a well researched story of a cold case. Her characters are believable. She mentions past cultural events which resonate with babyboomers and fans of old rock and roll.
Cheryl
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I give this 3.5 stars.

Entertaining short story read in the author's Ronnie Lake mystery series. As per other reviewers, this does need to be read after the debut novel "Stunner" to fully appreciate it. Fun, light hearted and definitely recommended.
Kate
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: woman-sleuth, mystery
I received my copy of this eBook in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This was a fun read! If you've read Stunner, I think you're a little bit better prepared for the story (lots of allusions to things that happened on her "last case" that you don't get real clarification on) and maybe it explains more of the Ronnie Lake character than you get here (I didn't know any more than the blurb about her) but this was a fun read! It can stand alone, but it's better following the first book in the s
Tami Carstensen
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read Stunner and really enjoyed finding out what Ronnie Lake was up to next. She's a likable character and the writing is well done. It's a really short mystery both satisfying and enjoyable.
iamnotabookworm
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Delilah is a story about a cold murder case. Ronnie Lake is a PI-in-the-making (private investigator). Steve Lyla wants to grant his old father's wish to find his aunt's killer. The cold case is assigned to Ronnie. Will she be able to solve the murder that happened about thirty years ago?

Ronnie Lake's character reminds me of my favorite senior citizen spy Mrs. Pollifax. Mrs. Pollifax is a character created by the late Dorothy Gilman. They are both very resourceful and have very strong intuition.
Niyati Em
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book a while ago and then it took me quite a while to get down to writing a review for it!

I read Niki's book, Stunner, when I was in a bad place, mentally. And that book was light and Ronnie was such an amazing character, that reading about her somewhat helped me tide over that time.

And now comes Niki's second book. And I get to read more of Ronnie. Although, after having read the book, I'm miffed! I'm miffed that the book is so short and that I don't have more to read.

I think the e
Jennifer Thompson
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a quick read, yet, it does have enough detail to be a good book. The details give the main character a personality that is relatable. In still more ways, the details are what she's all about.

Ronnie Lake is a middle-aged woman studying to be a private eye. Will is the man who is teaching her the profession.

Learning this job can be an overwhelming task. Especially when starting with a decades-old cold case. Ronnie is quick to learn. Yet, she still holds the personality traits that t
Monica Dillenburg
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing

As a great short story, this one doesn’t disappoints. While the main character, Ronnie, takes you through a murder case and the author manages to picture detail imagines in your mind that illustrated the story. Along with it, you get the feeling of being in the past, since is a cold case, while the crime happened and get the feeling of the present while the case is being solve. The music of the book is something that surprised me in a great way.
Although this is just a short read, you get some i
Tom MacCasarlaigh
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-3-star-reads
I received a free copy of this book (for Kindle) in return for an honest review.
*may contain spoilers*

This book being a short story is enjoyable enough but as with all short stories (I.M.O.) in this genre, it tends to rush to a conclusion. The plot has potential, the "accidental" detective is a likable character but the storyline falls a little short for me. The manner in which the solving of the case is achieved is a little far unrealistic for me and the scenes in leading up to the apprehensio
Ashley D
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

Even though this story was super short, it was really good. It had amazing imagery, so much so that I felt I could actually picture everything that was being talked about. I almost felt like I was right there along with all the characters as things happened. I think that this story could have been longer and it would have been just as good. Having more back story on all the characters would only add to the story. I thought it was interesting
Tiffany
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a short story. There was very little detail about the main character, it took me a while before I even knew that it was a female. The mystery was good but she figured it out so easily that it was pretty unrealistic. I did like the way she figured it out by looking into the small things people usually miss. The only things I didn't like was the lack of any explanation about the main character and one crude joke at the very end.

If you do read it, read the first story first as oth
Sid Nong
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First of all i recieved a free ebook of this book as exchange with an honest review using a site called EbooksForReview.

My take on this book is that Nikki Danforth is a genius. I'm sold, when i found out its a mystery/detective story book with only 70/80 pages. A real page turner with so much detail in few words. The only thing i don't like is that i was done reading in an instant right before i got cosy. i would love to read more of her work in near future and pleaseee a longer story :)

Sid Nong
Lisa
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-2016
Short and sweet.. That is the description that i give. I felt that the characters were not very well developed, as if I was missing something. Later I discovered that there was another book in this series. It would be helpful to read the books in order that they are written, I truly believe that this would have helped in the understandings of the characters and their relationship to and with each other. The overall story line and theme was quite good. Clever short and an enjoyable easy read.
Melissa
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Delilah was a very short story, but it was still suspenseful and interesting. I am ashamed to admit that I haven’t read a Niki Danforth novel yet but they have been on my To-Read list for a long time. Occasionally I have the opportunity to review books for free for an honest review and I’m so glad Delilah was one for this month! I’m going to make certain to pick up Stunner next!
4 Stars. Clean.
Melody
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
I haven't read any Ronnie Lake stories before, so I am not familiar with her character. I think knowing her already would have been helpful in a short story like this. As it was, I wasn't invested in her or the story. And I thought that it was it unlikely that so much of her figuring out the case was inspired by music.

Content: no language. No sex. Photographs of violent images and past acts described, mildly graphic.

Disclaimer: I received a free ebook in enhance for an honest review.
Brooke
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the writing in this book. It was a short novella, and I would have enjoyed a little more development of the main character. It is the second book in the series, and I felt it, though it did make me want to go and read the first book.
I was given a copy of this book for giving an honest review.
Ciprian-Marius Bujor
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
I read it during a short trip, and short is the word to describe this story. I gave it two stars, because it starts very well, you can be attracted by the mystery that slowly develops, but the action stops abruptly. And you can determine the final long before the final word of the author. It's a nice effort from the author, but she must work a lot more to became a real mystery author.
Cheri
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

Content: mild language

This is the second book in the Ronnie Lake series, I didn't read the first book in the series, this can be read as a stand alone novel. Because this is a short book, the plot felt a little rushed, but I liked the characters so that made up for it. This was a quick read and filled with suspense.
Rita
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received this book in exchange for a review. I don't like giving negative reviews because my opinion is just that, my opinion. For me this writing style did not work. I probably won't be reading any others in this series. It is a short story and a mystery. I would consider it a clean read but it did have some language.
Cici
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
This is written in a verily stylized fashion. The story is a companion to the previous story. This is also a stand alone story. The student sleuth Ronnie Lake is an empty nester 50 ish woman. She is an anomaly for this genre. I enjoyed the vivid description of the various aspects of the story.
Mary
Feb 04, 2018
Ruth E. Horner
May 14, 2017
Niki Danforth, daughter of a Cold War covert intelligence officer, has the "thriller/adventure" gene in her DNA. After a career as a successful TV/video producer and director in New York, this empty-nester is picking up her first love of mystery books and recreating herself as an author in the genre. Danforth lives in the New Jersey countryside with her husband and two drama-queen dogs.

A Ronnie Lake Mystery (3 books)
  • Stunner (A Ronnie Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Searching for Gatsby: A Ronnie Lake Murder Mystery (An Accidental Lady Detective, A Private Investigator Crime Series Book 3)