Start by marking “Flap Your Wings” as Want to Read:
Flap Your Wings

Flap Your Wings

(Beginner Books)

When a strange egg appears in their nest, Mr. and Mrs. Bird kindly take it upon themselves to raise the "baby bird" inside. But when the egg hatches, the Birds are in for a big surprise--"Junior" is the oddest-looking baby bird they've ever seen--with big, long jaws full of teeth and an appetite to match. In fact, he looks more like a baby alligator than a baby bird! ...more
Published January 25th 2000 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Flap Your Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flap Your Wings

Start your review of Flap Your Wings
Calista
This is a funny classic I had never read. It’s too bad as it’s delightful.

A boy finds an egg on the ground and no one claims the egg, so he puts it in an empty nest. The egg is huge for the birds, but out of duty, the birds sit on the giant egg. It hatches to reveal it was an alligator egg. They feed the little guy and it grows to big for the nest. They try and teach it to fly and you can imagine. What a concept!

The nephew laughed at this book. He said the alligator would eat the birds. I
Archit Ojha
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
Read to me by my wife while we were enjoying a lake view.

We were watching the birds fly. Some of them were plunging into the water for their food and my wife decided to read this poem, asking me to flap my wings. :)

Interested in reviving the memories of childhood? Then it is a must read.

Pooja
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Maybe the best Bird Book I read this month!

So adorable, cute and funny. These birds are getting on my mind. Guess I'll be reading more bird books now. Teaching family values and sweetness.

Mr. Bird and Mrs. Bird : This ones for you!

Matt
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
An egg appears on the pathway and someone places it in an empty nest. When Mr. and Mrs. Bird return, they are baffled to see the egg, but take it upon themselves to take care of their new little one. They sit on the egg and keep it warm, day and night. When the shell cracks and ‘Junior’ emerges, he surely does not look like a bird. However, Mr. and Mrs. Bird will not forget the promise they made and take to feeding their little one, day and night. As Junior grows, he is soon unable to remain in ...more
Samantha Goff
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because it tells a story about a egg that is hatched to the wrong family but they treated him as if he were their own. In this story the little boy finds an egg on the ground and he know that it doesn’t belongs there, so he placed it in the bird nest like a responsible person. I think young children would like this book as well especially when the little boy finds the egg. While reading this book to children I would emphasize the importance of responsibility when the two birds ...more
Elizabeth S
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c-beginner
Another great story by Eastman. The birds find a strange egg in the nest, decide to hatch it out, and (you guessed it) the find themselves raising an alligator. Knowing that something non-bird would hatch made it fun for both my preschooler and me. It was fun to watch the birds valiantly sitting on the egg. And we laughed ourselves silly with the problems that come from raising an alligator in a tree. I'm going to need to get us a copy of the book.
Marilyn
Sep 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Unbeknownst to them, a nesting pair of birds hatch an alligator, work their tails off to feed it and then try to teach their baby "bird" to fly. In the end, Jr. falls in a pond while trying to flap his "wings" and the mama bird says "Oh well, maybe he was meant for the pond--he seems comfortable there." I smile to think that maybe our best parenting efforts to teach our children different kinds of flight (piano, for example) may come to this same end one day ;).
Samantha
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We laughed the whole way through this book! What a fun beginner reader!
Jill Gomoll
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Good funny read! My four year old loved the illustrations as well! Loved the that the alligator tried to fly!
Maureen Lubitz
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on You Have Your Hands Full

Flap Your Wings was written by P.D. Eastman and was originally published in 1969, but I think our Best Book Club Ever edition was published in 1979. Our particular copy has my husband’s name in it. Most of our Best Book Club Ever books used to be his, but very few have his name in them.

Flap Your Wings is the story of Mr. and Mrs. Bird, who return to their nest to find a strange egg in it. When the egg hatches, they are surprised to find a strange
Alicia Singleton
This book is about two birds that find an egg in their nest. The egg eventually hatches, out pops an alligator. Paying no mind to what type of animal it was, the two birds raised the alligator like a bird. The alligator grew and grew until the birds decided it was time for him to fly. The alligator leaped out the nest and splashed in the water. The birds saw how happy the alligator was in the water and let him stay. This book teaches a good lesson on accepting people and things of all types. ...more
Kristen
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
My mom had this book in her collection from when she taught preschool and kindergarten. My daughter is 2.5 now and my mom has been anxious to start teaching her things from her units. She is teaching her about birds right now.

This is a cute book about a boy who finds a random egg on the ground. He saw a nest in the tree without an egg so he put it up there. The two birds who own the nest adopted the egg even tho it wasn't their's. When the egg hatches, it's clearly an alligator but the birds
Crystal
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Oh my this book had both my 3 year old and me chortling! Such a silly book! Mr and Mrs Bird find a large egg in their nest and decide to take care of it. Turns out to be an alligator egg! And they feed it and feed it and finally it's too big and they try to teach it how to fly! The pictures are perfect, text is very simple, story is just plain silly! Nice also to teach little kids that things other than birds lay eggs. And it shows what birds eat. Thoroughly enjoyed it!
Rosa Cline
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, 2016
What a funny book about a bird couple hatching and raising a crocodile thinking he was a bird. They had loved him through the egg stage and through him being a baby. But when it comes time to train him to fly...they have a bigger job ahead of them than they can imagine. My adult special needs son enjoyed listening to this book.
Alissa
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Mr. Bird and Mr. Bird come home one day to a rather large egg in their nest. They take care of the egg until it hatches only to find it is the strangest bird they have ever seen! Their baby "Junior" eats and eats and grows and grows. He is crowding the nest so they decide to teach him how to fly. It is only when he leaves the nest that they are able to find out who he really is.
Heather
P.D. Eastman is one of our favorite authors for early readers. His books also make wonderful read-alouds.

This is a funny book about a pair of birds who hatch an egg which doesn't contain what they think it does. My kids loved the surprise twist and laughed all the way through it.

It's a neat story about the love a parent can have for a child as well.

JennE
Oh my goodness! Mr. and Mrs. Bird arrive to their nest to find a rather large egg in it. However, the egg does not belong to them, but Mr. Bird is determined to treat it like their own. Such a cute story that could be interpreted as "family is family not matter what you look like or where you came from" and unconditional love.
Ron
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
An ebook from the Coppell library. I wanted something short so that I could give the process a try. It uses the 3M Cloud Library reader, and I don't like it compared to my kindle. It turns the pages really slow. I'll play with this some more.

Regarding the book, this is a short book that you can quickly read to your kid.
Beyond the Pages
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was such a funny book. My son and I cracked up laughing at Mrs. Bird's expressions. Of course, this book gave us a chance to talk about birds, alligators and other creatures. We talked about similarities and differences, about how to care for a bird versus and an alligator, and more. Great book!

I secured this title from my local library.
Mandy J. Hoffman
A cute book about Mr. & Mrs. Bird who find an egg in their nest that does not belong to them. While the end is rather flat, the story in between does bring out the importance of being kind, no matter how different you are from each other.
Mary Etta
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love this little book. As I read it to grandchildren it's parenting message inspires. Dealing with challenges early in life makes all the difference to teen years. Step 1: he/she is my child so I take care of it.
Cat
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: k-12
Adorable and funny, this is a great book for kids. There are lessons to be learned here, so you can adjust it for ages (up to a certain point anyway). All the adults in the room enjoyed this book, plus all 21 children so 5 stars!
Thomasgrace
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once a favorite of mine and now a favorite of my kids
Netanella
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My child loved this book and thought it was hilarious.
Danette
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
So cute!

3/22/17 Read with Naomi & Julia.
David Ward
Flap Your Wings by P.D. Eastman (Random House Inc. 1969) (Fiction – Juvenile).

Holy cow! Here's a book by one of my favorite childrens' book authors, the legendary P.D. Eastman. Author of such kid's classics as Go, Dog, Go and Are You My Mother?, I somehow made it to adulthood without having been introduced to this little volume.

This tale features an enormous egg that has appeared from nowhere in the nest belonging to Mr. and Mrs. Bird. They dutifully sit on the egg until it hatches – with

Suzanne Kunz Williams
I love P. D. Eastman. I love how so many of his books are about traditional families with a mom and a dad and a child. This darling book's theme is loving your child no matter what they are like. And it shows how hard parents have to work to provide for their children. The love of a parent for a child is evident in this book.
Kristin Nelson
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read this one in several years and I still love it! Mr. and Mrs. Bird are so clueless and kind. I think my favorite part is watching Junior grow and grow in that nest!
Naomi Kenorak
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Warning: I used to tear up while reading this book! This was one of my children’s first “favorite” books, because they could follow the story just by looking at the pictures, even before they understood the English words. A boy finds an egg on the ground next to a pond and decides it must belong to the empty nest above. He puts the egg in the nest, to the great surprise of Mr. and Mrs. Bird who return shortly thereafter. Mrs. Bird wants to know whose egg it is. Mr. Bird replies, “If an egg is in ...more
Dolly
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their younger children
Shelves: 2013, childrens
Cute book for beginning readers. It's a book that our girls have grown out of, so I have to read them on my own now. It has an entertaining narrative and the big baby in the nest is very humorous. The illustrations are colorful and cartoonish and remind me of the author's work in Are You My Mother?, which was a favorite of our girls when they were younger.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Fred and Ted Go Camping
  • Madeline's Rescue
  • Curious George Takes a Job
  • Great Day for Up
  • Let's Go for a Drive! (Elephant & Piggie, #18)
  • Pete's Big Lunch (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • Richard Scarry's The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories
  • A Good Day
  • The Very Busy Spider
  • Little Blue Truck's Halloween
  • Curious George Rides a Bike
  • I Like Myself!
  • The Story About Ping
  • There Is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • It's Not Easy Being a Bunny
  • Old Hat, New Hat
  • Curious George Goes to the Hospital
  • Fred and Ted's Road Trip (Beginner Books(R))
Philip Dey "Phil" Eastman was an American screenwriter, children's author, and illustrator. As an author, he is known primarily as P. D. Eastman. A protégé of Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss), Eastman wrote many books for children, in his own distinct style under the Dr. Seuss brand of Random House, many of which were in the Beginner Books series.

From 1936 to 1941, Eastman worked at the story

Beginner Books (1 - 10 of 152 books)
  • The Eye Book
  • Big Dog...Little Dog: A Bedtime Story
  • The Big Honey Hunt
  • Put Me in the Zoo
  • Inside, Outside, Upside Down (Berenstain Bears)
  • I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words