Start by marking “Snow” as Want to Read:
Snow

Snow

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  4,067 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
This classic Beginner Book edited by Dr. Seuss is a delightful ode to winter. Brrrrr! It snowed! From snowball fights and skiing to fort building and snowman making, P. D. Eastman and Roy McKie’s Snow will have young readers eager for the kind of fun only a wintry-white day can bring. Perfect for enjoying with a cup of hot cocoa!

Originally created by Dr. Seuss, Beginner B
Hardcover, Beginner Books, 72 pages
Published October 12th 1962 by Random House (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow

Pooja
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Do you like to build a snowman?

Hayli Hawkins
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
One quote I enjoyed was, "The snow out there will come and go, but snow in here, we know. So we will put this snow away and play with it another day." This quote is at the every end of the book when the snow is all melting and they are trying to salvage it by putting it in the freezer. I like this quote because as little kids they don't know that the snow will actually just turn to ice in the freezer. But I love their hope and effort to keep the snow for another day.

One character I loved was th
Alexa Vanmeighem
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this fun children’s book a little boy wakes up on day and comes across snow all outside his house. Overjoyed, the little boy puts on his snow gear, and takes his dog outside to go and play in the snow. He also invites his friend outside to play also, and they do a bunch of fun activities together outside. When the sun came out, they knew that the snow was going to start melting, so they took some inside. They put the snow in the freezer to save it, so they have some to play with later on. I r ...more
Ryan
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun rhyming easy reader that I would like better in December, instead of April.
Laurel L. Perez
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A cute book about having fun in the snow.
Abigail Niemiec
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Fiction
Grade: K-2
An amazing ode to the thing we see so often during the Michigan winters.
Kristina
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought that this was a good book for beginner readers. my daughter enjoyed reading this book. I would recommend this book to others.
Evelyn Song
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gbd
很有韵律感
Lauren
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Solomon
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mom read me this book that we borrowed from the library.
Ritz ☾
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Students loved it. They were entertained and laughing along. :)
Mel Thea
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This was the main book my mother used to teach my sister and I to read. :)
Breanna Riley
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lib-428
A book about having fun in the snow, with great repetition and easy to read!
Kevin Summers
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: early-reader
Fun early reader story with colorful artwork.
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
Originally published on my blog, Nine Pages .

This was a very simple story and it employed a lot of repetition—almost a Dick and Jane amount of repetition. Dr. Seuss recruited P. D. Eastman to children’s literature and the rhythm of this book bears a strong resemblance to Seuss’ works. At times the rhyme seemed forced—by which I mean, that in order to rhyme, the sentence was made awkward or bordered on senseless. Some of this manifested in what seemed at the time an odd refusal to name certain c
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Snow is an oldie, but a goodie. It has been a favorite of beginning readers in my house since I began reading, and served my Kiddo well, too. In between, it was passed around from cousin to cousin until the original fell apart and a new one was needed. Written in a simple rhyme, two children and their dog play in the snow - sledding, throwing snowballs, making a snow house and having a snowy picnic in it, and finally building a great big snowman. But when the snow melts, the kids and their dog a ...more
Liane Marie
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Category: Hardcover

Age: 1-6+ years

Synopsis: An adorably illustrated book describing all the merry ways to enjoy snow.

Bilingual benefit: “Snow” is part of the Dr. Seuss Beginner Books series intended for new readers. As a new reader book, the simple language rhymes well and has a sing-song rhythm. The book is also a wonderful source of wintry wonderland Americana for a child living abroad…and, especially, for a little one living on the Mediterranean coast of Israel. Where else can a Tel Aviv chi
Eva Kelly
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OK, now THESE girls got smart. I bet they learned their lesson from that other snow book about that boy Peter ["Tne Snowy Day"]. Because first of all, they did NOT put their snowballs in their pockets so they melted, but they put it in the FREEZER so they can have snow in the summer!!
This one has lots of stuff in it that the other snow books don't. Like, OK, THREE BIG THINGS! One is there's skis. And two is sleds. And three is snowball battles. In that one book the girl made a snowball and then
Rachel
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This brilliant classic is perfect for a wintry day and emerging readers discovering vocabulary concerning the winter season. P.D. Eastman's illustrations are stellar, creating a magical world in simple strokes that recall the feeling of tasting snowflakes on one's tongue and racing down hills on sleds. Two children discover the joys of snow with their dog, performing such activities as building a snowman, skiing, sledding, having a snowball fight and building an igloo. McKie creates parallel str ...more
Kelsey Klaus
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
a great picture book with many of the same traits we have all come to know and love from Dr. Sues. While it is not written by Dr. Sues, it fits right into his collection. This is a book that is perfect for winter and reading all about they fun times to be had. A great read aloud and a great book for young readers trying to learn sight words and sounding words out, even a great book to just enjoy the pictures.
Morgan
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
i like this book because it is about snow. i like snow too. it was about a girl and a boy they did not know what snow was. they had a snowball fight. they made an angel in the snow. they made a house of snow and had a picnic in the snow. this book was fun to read because i like playing the snow too. when it snow my dad and my sister and i go sledding and have snowball fights.
Lisa
Dec 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I always loved this book growing up. I still have my copy that my mom saved for me. Growing up in Hawaii I never experienced snow 1st hand so this book was always fun to read and imagine what "real" snow was like.

Since we had a big "snow storm" in Vegas yesterday, we had to get this book out again and read it. Hannah loves this book too.
Alexander The Triumphant
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was about snow, and I liked this book because there's snow. And there was two little boys. And first one puppy was out there and then one of the boys went out there, and then the other boy called to the other boy inside the house and then he put his snow suit on and he went outside. And in this book the dog slides on his tail. -by Alexander
Erica
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful for my first grader to read with little help from me. She loved the fact that it was such a "long" book and made her feel like a big kid. There is just enough repetition throughout to make it manageable for her level but not too easy. The story itself is fun and exciting and my little one was laughing out loud to herself at the antics of the dog!
Luisa Knight
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The eye-popping illustrations alone are so nostalgic to me. The story, well, it makes me sigh happily. Growing up in California only 30 minutes from the coast meant winters without snow; but through this delightful little book, I could imagine myself there, sledding and tasting the frothy flakes. A true classic!

Reading Level: 1st - 2nd grades

#winterbooks
Carla Raymer
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: seasonal
A great one for the winter season! We can't assume that our students will know all about snow or that they have even seen snow so this would be a perfect book for them to learn about snow and how many different ways snow is used for fun. Being born in Switzerland, there is nothing more that I love than snow!!
Deirdre Keating
Jan 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Sean's Xmas book this year, but Aidan is the one reading it...actually reading it! So exciting. A few stumbles but the illustrations are so fun, and the topic one of his favorites (a big snow-fan like his dad), that he keeps going. Love this one too!
Lisa
This was my favorite book when I was tiny! I would return one copy to the library and go get another copy from the shelf. I somehow ended up owning three copies (I have since weeded it down to just one).
Emily Garrison
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A cute tale for children to learn about the fun to be had in the snow and that the things we create in the snow eventually melt. Who hasn't kept some snow in the freezer at some point in their life!! A fun read!
Erica
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My daughter really enjoyed this book - upon finishing it, she promptly turned back to the first page and said, "Again!" She loves the "silly" parts - throwing snow in someone's face, "big feet," and the dog. The snowman and picnic in the igloo were favorite parts as well.
  • Sam and the Firefly
  • Robert the Rose Horse
  • Summer
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • It's Not Easy Being a Bunny
  • The Ear Book (Bright & Early Books)
  • I Want to Be Somebody New!
  • The Tooth Book
  • Stop, Train, Stop! a Thomas the Tank Engine Story (Thomas & Friends)
  • There's No Place Like Space: All About Our Solar System (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
  • Little Critter: Snowball Soup

• Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
  • The Man Who Could Be King
  • Challenger Deep
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Great Man
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone