Start by marking “Complete Irish Mythology” as Want to Read:
Complete Irish Mythology

Complete Irish Mythology

Published 2004 by Bounty (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Complete Irish Mythology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Complete Irish Mythology

Start your review of Complete Irish Mythology
Briynne
Apr 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Like pretty much everyone else I’ve read reviews by, I picked this up during my junior year abroad while I was living in Cork. It’s not necessarily something you read without a very good reason, and mine was that I fell blindingly in love with the country and suddenly wanted to know everything I could about it. I had just learned about Lady Gregory’s role in the Irish literary renaissance when I stumbled across this monster of a book and decided I had to read it. Five years later, I’ve ...more
Caitlin
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful collection of early middle ages Irish mythology. The stories are full of vibrant hero characters who battle other tribes or the gods that interfere with their lives. The characters, especially in the first collection of "Gods and Fighting Men" are a direct result of the Irish environment. The stories and personalities and themes seem to spring from the very mystical landscape that is Ireland. I found the stories immensely entertaining. Amazing feats of strength and valor, a ...more
Christie Washam
Apr 03, 2011 rated it liked it
while good to get the basic overview of Ireland's complicated and convoluted mythic past, this collection is just that: basic. I was going to use it for an analysis of the "Boyhood Deeds of Cu Chulainn" but discovered that versions of the tale translated directly from Irish were much better suited to my needs as they contained many nuances and wordplay not present in Lady Gregory's version. That being said, I can appreciate this book for what it is and will probably always use it sort of like ...more
Katie
This is a difficult book to read. I suspect it's bought by many people as a gift on a trip to Ireland, and then never read. The reason it's hard to read is because it's written almost as if it was translated directly from Irish, and I suspect it was, at least in part. It has a very lilting quality, very old-fashioned. If you're familiar with the Irish language (I am), then you can recognise that the speech pattern and the order of the words are very similar to how one would speak in Irish. It ...more
Bettie
Apr 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology
I will be more accurate than the scant blurb box here.

This compilation is by Lady Gregory and there is a preface by WB Yeats. The cover is stunning and I will take a fotie tomorrow.
Erren Wolf
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the fairy tales and have many books on the subject. This is one of my favourites and have it in hardcover. There are many tales within it that captivate the imagination and make you wonder: are the fairies real? Was there a time long ago when people could actually see them? Why are there so few now that can see them, such as Dora van Gelder Kunz? This is a great book to read for children and adults alike.
Susan
Jun 20, 2011 added it
Shelves: fantasy
Irish myths including Cuchlain. Left at JR's too heavy to take home. Buy in Can. nicely written
Barrett
Oct 29, 2008 marked it as to-read
picked this up while in Ireland in 2006 -- still chipping away at it here and there...

Kris
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although Lady Gregory's approach to translation is not the most exact, this book is still very important because the author has attempted to impossible, which is to take most of the fragmentary mythological material from the various medieval manuscripts, and put it into a cohesive narrative order. Not only has she attempted it, she's done a fine job.

If you are interested in the stories of the gods and heroes of ancient Ireland, start here. This will give you context to go on and read more
Matthew
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good stuff. Not your straightforward, easily untangleable mythology like the Greeks with a pantheon of gods gathering in the one place. Lady Gregory's compilation is a head-stealing romp of fights and cows and great feats and an eye-gouging array of letters making up each name that graces the page.
Kieran Fanning
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent resource for a scholar, but difficult to read.
Czarny Pies
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Étudiants en histoire
Recommended to Czarny by: Eamon de Valera
Shelves: mythology
Ce livre a joué le meme role dans l'Insurrection de paques de 1916 en Irlande qu'a joué Das Kapital dans la Révolution Bolchévique l'année d'après en Russie; c'est à dire, il a fournit la base intellectuelle nécessaire aux Insurrectionistes. Comme Das Kapital, la Mythologie de Lady Gregory est bourré de contes de fees.

Ce qui est à signaler est que cette edition contient une introduction par William Butler Yeates, laureat du prix Nobel 1923 et le plus grand collaborateur de Lady Gregory. En 1923,
Ghanima
Nov 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
I was very happy when I bought this big book on Irish Mythology. It was something I wanted to read about.
I keep wondering why so many writers seem to think mythology has to be written as dull and dry as possible. I love the first part, about the gods, enough to be able to ignore the dusty writing style, but the second part, about Finn and the Fianna, proved a bit harder to get through. It was mostly describtions of battles, making it seem like you read the same thing over and over again.
I have
Peter (Pete) Mcloughlin
Very dense presentation. Mythology is not my strong suit keeping track of all the names and characters especially since this my first serious foray into Irish mythology. I read the Oisin and Ulster cycles presented in the book. It is something I will need to apply with multiple readings until it sinks in. I will tackle this one and hopefully will be better able to keep better track on the next reading.
Carlos Carneiro
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Uma grande bíblia da mitologia irlandesa, há versões/traduções mais actuais, mas não englobam toda a mitologia e dedicam-se a ciclos ou mesmo partes de ciclos específicos. Lady Gregory organizou uma compilação super completa, dando o seu toque como romancista às histórias de forma a estarem bem escritas e claras. A grande fonte de mitologia celta irlandesa.
Rebecca Haslam
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Slightly more long-winded than I thought it would be, this book took me a considerable amount of time to get through!
Kristin
Jan 12, 2015
Conor Sheehan
Jun 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Hounds of Avalon (Dark Age, #3)
  • The Queen of Sinister (Dark Age, #2)
  • The Devil in Green (Dark Age, #1)
  • Age of Misrule (Age of Misrule #1-3)
  • My Oedipus Complex and Other Stories
  • Jack of Ravens (Kingdom of the Serpent, #1)
  • The Stones of Florence
  • The Silver Skull (Swords of Albion, #1)
  • Bel-Ami
  • Daddy's Gone A Hunting
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • The End of Europe: Dictators, Demagogues, and the Coming Dark Age
  • Canción de cuna de Auschwitz
  • The Trial of God: (as it was held on February 25, 1649, in Shamgorod)
  • Ulysses
  • Tales of Irish Enchantment
  • The Hound of Ulster
  • The High Deeds of Finn MacCool
Isabella Augusta, Lady Gregory (15 March 1852 – 22 May 1932), born Isabella Augusta Persse. She was an Irish dramatist and folklorist. With William Butler Yeats and others, she co-founded the Irish Literary Theatre and the Abbey Theatre, and wrote numerous short works for both companies. Lady Gregory produced a number of books retelling stories taken from Irish mythology.