Start by marking “On Writing the College Application Essay: The Key to Acceptance and the College of your Choice” as Want to Read:

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  103 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Published August 27th 1987 by Collins Reference (first published August 1987)

To ask other readers questions about On Writing the College Application Essay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Writing the College Application Essay

Greg
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, favorites
I read this book years ago, but I remembered recently that it contains excellent advice on essay writing in general.
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must-read / must-use for any middle or high school English teacher. I first read it as a teenager when getting ready to write my college application essay. But I really came to appreciate it when I became a high school English teacher. It's an amazing resource for teaching narrative writing in general. You'll ditch your other resources after using this one!
Malorie Grebetr
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, the book has some well-structured information on academic writing for college students. These terms are especially cruicial for applicants, as also may be observed in this article https://nerdymates.com/blog/essay-writing-tips as the thorough adherence to specific rules may guarantee your acceptance to the dream college.
Molly
Jun 30, 2012 rated it liked it
The audience for this book is college applicants, but I can't imagine what high school student would pick up and read an entire book about writing their college essay. Bauld does give good writing advice, which I've passed along to my seniors, but his sense of humor isn't my style. I feel like he's trying too hard to seem funny to teenagers, and I have to work hard to look past the bad jokes to glean the good advice. There are some helpful examples of strong writing in here, but unfortunately, t ...more
Sandra Miller
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well I did enjoyed the book!
This is a great way to tell about application essay writing, even my daughter read the book. And she is not "reader" person. The plus of the book is that it's small. It would be great if I could read something same when I was applying to college.

And even though the book is amazing, nowadays students prefer to read not books, but posts. I have found the article on the Internet which has same key points as the book: http://www.ninjaessays.com/blog/how-t...

Maybe this wi
Alec
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you are a student getting ready to write your college essay, then read this book first. Writing your college essay can be very nerve racking and can be hard to start. Bauld's book gives students the initial spark to begin writing and guides them to the successful track. He does this by providing examples of previous essays and showing certain strengths and weaknesses in each. By the end of the book, students not only have a better idea of what to write but also how to write in order to optimi ...more
Jeremy
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, non-fiction, own
This book was loaned to me by a friend who proclaimed it to be the definitive source on essay writing. I am by no means applying for college -- those days are far behind me.

Though this book is obviously written with the college bound student in mind, there were some universal advice and insight on essay writing that I found absolutely wonderful. I really enjoyed this book, especially the chapter on re-writing. I recommend this book for essay writers and students alike.
Ryan Christopherson
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a must read for anyone applying to selective universities. Read it in summer or early fall, not November like me. This book is actually very entertaining and engaging, rare for being informative.
Tam Nguyen
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I want more close analysis in this book. Some ideas are recalled countless times by Vietabroader students, but it sounds banal
Michelle
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty helpful, actually. Will be having my junior and freshman both read it.
Maggie
Sep 07, 2011 rated it liked it
For those of you who need advice writing college essays... this is it! It's humorous as well, and terribly helpful. I do recommend. I do :)
Romane
Sep 21, 2012
Dennis Ashendorf
Oct 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
“Writing is traveling through uncharted territory - your mind. You are the first traveler, and your essays are the world's first maps.” 1 likes