Start by marking “The Brand Gap” as Want to Read:
The Brand Gap

The Brand Gap

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  2,410 Ratings  ·  131 Reviews
THE BRAND GAP is the first book to present a unified theory of brand-building. Whereas most books on branding are weighted toward either a strategic or creative approach, this book shows how both ways of thinking can unite to produce a “charismatic brand”—a brand that customers feel is essential to their lives. In an entertaining two-hour read you’ll learn:

• the new defi
Paperback, Revised, Second Edition, 208 pages
Published August 14th 2005 by New Riders (first published January 24th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Brand Gap, please sign up.

Wojciech Pawlik Its rather short and filled with interesting ideas but for someone with experience in practice. Far from guide but some things can be used immadietly

Annet
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
'To begin building your brand, ask yourself three questions: 1. Who are you; 2. What do you do? 3. Why does it matter? ... A brand is not what you say it is, it is what they say it is....When everyone zigs, zag.'

I spend a lot of time on branding issues in my job right now and was recommended this book by our creative agency. Lots of what I call 'open doors' but also some new insights, food for thought. Reads easily. The brand glossary in the back of the book is really good.
Jason
Jan 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
Maybe this book is more for "Social tweet blog 2.0 identity transformation consultants" than designers, but I started reading this on the subway this morning and quickly became worried that someone would a) recognize me, b) recognize the book, and then c) slap me across the face, hard.

Definitely read this if you like vague generalities and unwarranted assertions. One particular gem:

"Logos are dead! Long live icons and avatars! Why? Because logos as we known them--logo-types, monograms, abstract
Richard Newton
I am reading quite a lot of business books at present, normally a sign that I'm getting ready to write something myself. At the moment the focus is on branding books. Now, one of the things about business books is that not only are most of them pretty dull (a sad thing for a writer of professional books to have to admit), but they look pretty dull too. Interestingly, this even extends to books on branding - and yet there is a intuitive feeling that a branding book ought to look good. I know bran ...more
Linh
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Giống mấy cuốn sách kiến thức về marketing hồi mình học đại học. Không có gì mới mẻ lắm, cách viết cũng ko phải cuốn hút gì lắm. Tạm được cho bạn nào muốn ''nghiên cứu'' về marketing về brand.
Chad Warner
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
A concise book of good branding advice. I was underwhelmed given this book's reputation. I would've benefited from further explanation and more examples.

The author's aim is to present a 30,000 foot view of brand: what it is (and isn't), why it works (and doesn't), and how to bridge the gap between logic (strategy) and magic (creative execution) to build a sustainable competitive advantage.

I liked the following advice:
• Build trust through meeting and exceeding expectations.
• Use courage and imag
The Book Nazi
Jul 07, 2010 rated it really liked it

Brand’ is probably one of the most hyped words in marketing today. Everyone talks about ‘building your brand’ but what does that really mean?

In The Brand Gap, Marty Neumeier takes a clear shot at defining this often misunderstood marketing principle and nails his target. The result is an easy-to-read overview of what a brand is and how you can get one.

Neumeier starts by defining what a brand is not – it isn’t a logo. It isn’t your corporate identity system complete with fonts and colors. And it’
Emma
Jan 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want an easy and fun primer on branding
Awesome. You might need a magnifying glass to read some of the tiny print captions. But overall, a fun and quick intro to branding. I am all jazzed about branding now. It's not, for instance, just this esoteric big-company marketing buzzword. It's just your gut feeling about something. Which is only partly determined by a company's marketing efforts. It's determined by the sum of people's experience with the company, which marketing usually forms the first line of, but it's deeper than that. It' ...more
Talia
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Read this quick book on the way back from our annual planning meeting, based on the enthusiastic recommendation of our lead graphic designer. Unfortunately I did not find it as compelling as he did--probably because I am one of those analytical words people, not a "creative." The most interesting thoughts gathered from the well-designed short story:
1. A brand is not a logo (wish I could shout that off the roof sometimes at work). Also, brand is not an identity guide.
2. "Creativity...requires an
Luce
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Komplexní, stručné, výstižné. Dokonalý návod k tomu, jak pochopit, co značka je a co není, jak ji vybudovat, čemu se vyvarovat, na co klást důraz. Zajímavé příklady, tipy a doporučení pro vlastní použití. Výborná teorie a myslím, že pořád platná.
Jakub Hejdánek načetl velmi dobře, jeho hlas k obsahu nahrávky sedí.
Josiah Jost
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a strong introduction to branding.
Rachel
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
"Differentiation has evolved from a focus on “what it is,” to “what it does,” to “how you’ll feel,” to “who you are.” While features, benefits, and price are still important to people, experiences and personal identity are even more important."

"Over time, specialists beat generalists. The winner is the brand that best fits a given space. The law of the jungle? Survival of the FITTINGEST."

"How do you know when an idea is innovative? When it scares the hell out of you."

"A living brand is a never-e
Becki Iverson
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been really working to up my marketing-specific knowledge, which is always a difficult task in the age of the internet. Things change so quickly, it's hard to keep up! Marty Neumeier has written a quick and easily digestible branding guide that is worth a glance for anyone. It doesn't require a large time investment but still has plenty to share on the subject. Think of this as Branding in the Internet Age 101. I plan to revisit this often to help keep my strategy aligned and my brand looki ...more
Matias Ferrari
Jan 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Probably the worst book I’ve read on branding. A pile of superficial and totally unfounded slogans about design. It is a vomit of a thousand void claims, so off course every now and then the author hits on interesting ideas, however he never goes deep into any thought. It feels like it was something achieved in a one-day effort with no real passion, efforts and/or knowledge about design.

It may work for a senior in high-school, I would never recommend this for a design student. It would be such a
Charles Rubinoff
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The biggest takeaway from this book is that a brand is not what the company says it is, it's what others say it is. But there are ways the company can influence that perception, and it's important for the logic/strategic side and the magic/creative sides to work together to do so in a way that builds trust and thus long-term value for the brand.
Cyrus Alderwood
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I decided to pick up this book to learn about the power and psychology behind corporate and product branding. I learned a lot more than I bargained for. If you are new to the subject this is a great book to start with!
Myah
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book really opened my mind and perspective of branding. To be honest i was one of those people who thought that a brand all depended on colors, typography, logos, and voice, but now I see what actually defines a brand. Great book with great visuals.
Adrian Bell
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely helpful!

As a graphic designer, I work very closely with branding. This book really out together the ideas of logic and innovation, and the necessary recipe of both that's needed to create, build, and maintain a strong brand.
Wojciech Pawlik
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
liked it - bardziej rozbudowany artykuł niż książka. Ale ciekawe i praktyczne tezy w pigułce nigdy nie są złe.

liket it - more like an expanded article than a book. But interesting and praktical ideas in a nutshell are never bad.
Heather
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
"If others are zigging, you zag"
"You need to make sure your brand resonates in the real world. Do prototypes and swap testing"
"You want to stand out from competitors"
"Is your brand 'sticky'?"
"cultivate your brand"

-- from the book

This book should have been Idiot's Guide To Branding. If you are new to branding, meaning if you just graduated from picture books to reading chapter books, this would be a good starting book for branding for you. Perhaps in 2003 when it came out it was more groundbreak
Dan Nazaruk
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
This books is a collection of vague marketing clichés dressed up with attractive design. The author makes a few good points ("a brand is not a logo"), but someone wanting an introduction to marketing would be better served reading Kotler or Kellogg on Marketing.
Bob Vaez
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love books that layout a clear foundation and work through the concepts with succinct points and examples. Short and sweet Brand Gap is a great primer to think about how to think, build and evaluate the success of your brand. It is not an execution playbook but it helps you get started having all elements in one place.
Al Doan
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
found this really helpful in figuring out who my company was and how to articulate it
Abdurrahman Hosni
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful and extremely practical!
Matthew Cowling
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a must for any brand marketer.
Nguyên ngộ ngộ
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Có một vài điểm sáng giúp mở mang: 3 mô hình làm việc với agency tổng, agency phụ...
Các phần còn lại thì chưa đúng mong đời mình lắm. hì
Jake McAtee
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really great introduction to the world of branding and marketing.
Reiza
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiksi, bisnis
Brand . It's not what you say it is. It is what they say it is.

Oke, saya ada beberapa poin yang cukup panjang untuk buku ini yang sengaja saya catat di buku tulis. Lebih-lebih karena memang saya sedang tertarik untuk mempelajari mengenai branding.

Tapi singkat kata, kenapa sih, brand itu penting?
Marty Neumeier kemudian menjawabnya dengan mengajukan pertanyaan lagi:

Ada 1349 kamera di pasar, mana yang mau kamu beli?

Menurut Neumeier, brand itu bukanlah logo, bukanlah identitas, dan bukan produk.
Riley
Jul 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
As noted by the author, this was meant to be a “whiteboard overview” readable in a short flight, so I was about to cover it in a few hours. It had been a while since I had revisited any branding topics, so this was a nice easy read with some good general insights.

A great example was in the initial few pages on how to think about a brand. “To use Plato’s example, whenever we hear the word “horse” we visualize a majestic creature with four legs . . . that a person can ride long distances on its ba
Robert
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The Brand Gap: How to Bridge the Distance Between Business Strategy and Design
Marty Neumeier
Peachpit Press

This is an expanded edition of a book first published in 2003. In it, Neumeier develops in greater depth several basic ideas about how to bridge a gap between business strategy and design. My own experience suggests that on occasion, there may be a conflict or misalignment rather than a "gap." Or the business strategy is inappropriate. Or the design concepts are wrong-headed. Or the executio
Alex
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: entrepreneur
This book was...better than I expected. As a professional graphic designer, who has worked with several entities in various sectors, the buzz word of the era seems to be "branding." I did not expect to learn much new information here. My supervisor gave me the book, as he thought I should read it. I was thoroughly impressed.

There is brief discussion of what exactly branding is and what it is not. I wouldn't say this book teaches one how to brand. This book more so teaches how to approach and sha
  • Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning
  • Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Entire Branding Team
  • Brand Thinking and Other Noble Pursuits
  • Design Writing Research
  • Brandsimple: How the Best Brands Keep It Simple and Succeed
  • Graphic Design Theory: Readings from the Field
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • Emotional Branding: The New Paradigm for Connecting Brands to People
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]
  • How Brands Become Icons: The Principles of Cultural Branding
  • Designing for People
  • Juicing the Orange: How to Turn Creativity into a Powerful Business Advantage
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding: How to Build a Product or Service Into a World-Class Brand
  • Cutting Edge Advertising: How to Create the World's Best for Brands in the 21st Century

“1) Who are you? 2) What do you do? 3) Why does it matter?” 1 likes
“If we wipe away some of the misconceptions about brand, we can make more room for its truths. Ready?” 0 likes