Start by marking “Sunshine and Secrets” as Want to Read:
Sunshine and Secrets

Sunshine and Secrets

(Willow Cottage #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  752 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Beth is running away. With her young son Leo to protect, Willow Cottage is the lifeline she so desperately needs. Overlooking the village green in a beautiful Cotswolds idyll, Beth sees a safe place for little Leo.

When she finally uncovers the cottage from underneath the boughs of a weeping willow tree, Beth realises this is far more of a project than she barga
Published July 7th 2016 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Sunshine and Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunshine and Secrets

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Lucy
Loved the settings, story line, and the characters. Gasped at the end, I will certainly read the next book to find out what's going to happen to Beth.
Chantal
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Part 1 I don't really know what to write, I know for sure it is very Britisch. It is a slow read, but has an interesting every day life story. The main character isn't very handy with things and she falls a lot. Surprisingly never breaking or scuffing anything.
Suze Lavender
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beth needs a fresh start and she wants to be far away from London. Together with her son Leo she moves to a small Cotswolds village where she has bought a house. Willow Cottage looked romantic in the pictures, but it's more dilapidated than Beth expected. Her neighbor Jack knows how to renovate houses and he helps her with the work. A small country village isn't what she's used to at all and Beth sometimes doubt if she's made the right decision. Will she feel at home in her new place and will sh ...more
Agi
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-releases, 2016

"Sunshine and Secrets" is the first part in the new series by author Bella Osborne set in the picturesque Dumbleford, a Cotswolds Village. I admit, I requested this short story on NetGalley, albeit hesitantly, as recently I've read a novel by Ms Osborne and had some issues with it, but nevertheless I loved the premise to "Sunshine and Secrets" - it sounds really intriguing and I am really glad that I decided to read it.

First of all, I truly like the idea of buying a cottage in the au
Jane Hunt
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sunshine and Secrets (Willow Cottage, #1) by Bella Osborne

Jane Hunt Writer First Steps
Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Facebook
Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Google+
Connect on...:
Twitter

The auction scene at the beginning of this amusing serial definitely epitomises Beth as a romantic comedy heroine. Beth is the proverbial ‘fGoogle+
Connect
CeeMarie
Jun 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
This was not what I was expecting at all. It seemed like this surely could've been shortened in so many places. The idea of buying a cottage at auction unseen is mind boggling enough for me but the story has different point of views when it seems really odd to do that because I feel the book is about one main woman character but oddly shifts to her friend's point of view throughout the story-when it doesn't even complement the story or seem to go along with it. And it ended so abruptly. Literall ...more
Sam
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
On impulse, Beth bids on Willow Cottage at an auction and is the successful bidder. In her head, the cottage is an ideal property that a lick of paint will put right.

Beth is running away with her son from her London lifestyle and her ex boyfriend Nick and runs to Willow cottage, situated in a village full of odd characters. It's a steep learning curve for Beth.

Looking forward to part 2 of this series.
Nicola Clough
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beth needs to get away from London and her ex and she goes to an auction and ends up buying a cottage in the Cotswolds and when she goes to find it she realises it's in a lovely village but the cottage needs so much work doing ok it does she find someone who's happy to help her. I'm looking forward to the second part now.
Kim
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley, kindle, 2016
This was a great introduction to a new series set in a picturesque Cotswolds Village called Dumbleford. Beth moves to the village after bidding on a cottage - sight unseen. After all what could be wrong with a 'dream cottage'. After walking round the green failing to spot their new home- the first reveal is not promising. We are promised a season with Willow Cottage and I can't wait to see it's transformation.

Beth and her best friend Carly are from London- and Beth is escaping an abu
Liina
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beth bought a cottage on an auction and was happy to get away from London and her ex boyfriend. The cottage wasn't actually what she wanted to buy and when she finally saw how it looked in reality, it was even worse. She starts to slowly get to know the people in the village and also renovate the cottage to make it more inhabitable. Right after arriving in the village, she has several awkward encounters with a local named Jack. He seems gruff on the outside, but is actually caring inside. Even t ...more
Lisa Houston
Jul 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Willow Cottage part 1 Bella Osborne

Beth is running away from London with her son Leo. Leaving her ex Nick. Not quite concentrating at an auction. She ends up bidding on a delightful, idyllic little cottage in the Cotswolds Willow Cottage.

Arriving at the cottage hiding under a huge Willow tree is a run down cottage that might be better knocked down and redone. It also comes with a scary giant under its willow tree.

The book started off great. But went downhill once she arrived in the
Ann Cooper
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh what a little treasure this novella is! A cast of great characters, lovely Cotswold village and Beth trying to cope with the disaster she has bought. Leo is a typical little boy - helpful and whiny in equal measure!

I laughed and laughed while I read it - in one go I might add, couldn't put it down! Beth's friend Carly has some extremely funny moments. The times in London and the tree house spring to mind - just hilarious :)

The locals are a brilliant mixture of sane and
Steffi
Thanks to Netgalley and Avon for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed the premise of this book about the abandoned cottage and its renovation process. I had some problems with the main character Beth. She was very shallow and snobbish. I did like the rural atmosphere in the little village.

I am not sure yet why we also have the perspective of Beth' best friend Carly. She is as well very snobbish and I found her pretty annoying.

Even though t
Tami
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this ARC through Netgalley for Harper Collins UK, for a honest review.
Sunshine And Secrets (Willow Cottage #1) By Bella Osborne. A charming short story, that begins with Beth and her young son Leo. They move into a dilapidated cottage in a small village in the Cotswolds. She finds what she thought at first was a quick fix up and sell, turns into a huge task. The reader
is drawn into Beth's frustrations over her crumbling cottage, the ex she is running from and the quirky towns
Jo
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this first installment of the new Willow Cottage series. An interesting back story, a dilapidated cottage and possible love interest on the horizon. What is there not to like?? Looking forward to the next installment which is waiting for me on my kindle.
Tasha
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great first part of the story look forward to next part
Furrawn
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun light chick-lit book. Just what I wanted.
Gena DeBardelaben
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
eARC: Netgalley

Lovely village, lovely characters, and lovely story.

Can't wait for #2!
Sharon
Thank you to Netgalley, the author and the Publishers, Avon Books, for these review copies given in exchange for an honest review.

This book was originally released in four separate parts for the Willow Cottage series, with the whole book released at a later date. This review is for the first two parts, Sunshine and Secrets and Christmas Cheer. They can be read as separate standalones but I would advise to read them all and in order of the series.

I’m ashamed to admit that
Sophie (Blogger)
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Willow Cottage is a needing a bit of a makeover, so when Beth decides to buy the Willow Cottage she is in for a bit of a shock at how much work is needed to turn this small cottage into the home her and her son need. Beth's life in London has come to a sudden end, so coming to a small village in the middle of nowhere is a big change for her, having gotten use to the busy life of London.
Jack has lived in the small village for quite a while and it has become his home, so having a new person arriv
Kathy
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just read this in a couple of days. It was a great read. I love that I'm rooting for the main character Beth and want her to succeed in getting her cottage together, and I'm hoping she'll put down roots in the Cotswolds. I love this type of book and can't wait to read the next instalment. The setting is magical - it's a true escape.

I did get several grey hairs from all the comma splices though. (My editor brain went on the fritz.)
belinda
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book was a bit hard to put down lol , just made you want to sit in the sun and read all day....awwww bliss🤗
Karen
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had failed to do my typical research when I requested Sunshine and Secrets from NetGalley. I knew of Bella Osborne from Twitter and she seems absolutely darling. It's published by the Avon imprint of HarperCollins UK, which has become one of my go-to publishing houses along with CarinaUK and Bookouture. The cover is precious and makes me want to try my own hand and DIY in order to fix it up. Altogether it sounds perfect, right?

Well..... what I had failed to realize is that as "part
Emma Mitchell
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, chick-lit
I haven't read a proper chick lit book for years and I am so glad that I requested this! What a great book!

Having split up with her boyfriend, Beth is house hunting and has seen the perfect apartment at a local housing auction, however, whilst there, something makes Beth bid on a cottage, the beautiful Willow Cottage in the middle of the Cotswolds.

This is such a lovely read, really easy to get lost in, I found that Osbourne was easily able to take me away and make me wish I could go and buy a
Petra Quelch
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
What an excellent and intriguing introduction to Bella Osborne writing the world ( for me). Not only the cover of this book is charming, but the story itself is also wonderful, heart-tickling and comic.

Our leading lady, Beth, is in a tight spot so in a spur of a moment she purchases a supposedly lovely cottage in the heart of Cotswold. Beth loves her city lifestyle, the glamour, the vibrancy and her friend Carly but her priority is to escape her partner Nick. Beth needs to protect he
MetLineReader
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2016
A quirky little tale which opens with Beth buying a rundown cottage at auction. She's running away from something (or someone) and as the novella unfolds, it becomes clear what that is.
Accompanied by an interesting cast of characters - such as the strange old lady with the shopping trolley, the grumpy local, the friendly bar staff in the pub and her 6 year old son, Beth starts to make her path renovating the cottage.

Sadly, I hadn't spotted that this was a novella/Part I of a series and it
Sally Coles
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When Beth gets out of an abusive and controlling relationship she needs to find somewhere safe for herself and her son, somewhere she can't be found and so she goes to a property auction to buy an apartment. When the lots that she is looking at go above her budget she sees a cottage in the Cotswolds called Willow Cottage and on impulse buys it sight unseen.

On arriving at the village with Leo she finds that the picture of the house at the auction is somewhat misleading - the place is
Louise Lake
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bring on part two

A brilliant first part to a new series. I bought this book after reading 'It Started at Sunset Cottage,' which has become one of my favorite reads. Willow Cottage is a clever and witty story about new beginnings.
Beth buys Willow Cottage at an auction, desperate to move with her son Leo, as far away from her abusive ex as possible. Beth gets a huge surprise when Willow Cottage is nothing like she expected, and meets some great local characters along the way, including a local b
Fiona
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
Beth needs out of London and fast ! She purchases Willow Cottage at haste and upping sticks with her young son Leo she arrives and realises she may be repenting at leisure . The cottage is run down with and she has no idea where to start . In the first of this series we are introduced to some of the villagers , Jack , a little surly but could come in very handy look set to play a key role in the series .
Loved the style of writing , humorous yet dealing with some underlying issues . I will certa
Joann
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it

• Confessions of a Chalet Girl (Ski Season, #1)
  • Wing Girl
  • Sinfully Summer
  • Your Room Or Mine? (Do Not Disturb #1)
  • Is This Love?
  • Do You Remember?
  • Meet Me at Wisteria Cottage
  • Springtime at the Cider Kitchen (Little Somerby #2)
  • Waking up in Vegas (Westerwald Trilogy #1)
  • The Keepers: Archer (The Keepers #1)
  • Christmas at Thornton Hall
  • The Illicit Love of a Courtesan (Marlow Intrigues, #2)
  • Summer at the Cornish Cafe (The Penwith Trilogy #1)
  • Anything but Vanilla...
  • The Hating Game
  • Rowena's Key (The Golden Key Chronicles, #1)

Willow Cottage (5 books)
  • Christmas Cheer
  • A Spring Affair
  • Summer Delights  (Willow Cottage #4)
  • Escape to Willow Cottage