Start by marking “Easy Motion Tourist” as Want to Read:
Easy Motion Tourist

Easy Motion Tourist

Easy Motion Tourist is a compelling crime novel set in contemporary Lagos. It features Guy Collins, a British hack who stumbles by chance into the murky underworld of the city. A woman's mutilated body is discarded by the side of a club near one of the main hotels in Victoria Island. Collins, a bystander, is picked up by the police as a potential suspect. After experiencin ...more
Published April 1st 2016 by Cassava Republic Press

To ask other readers questions about Easy Motion Tourist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Easy Motion Tourist

Ellisse
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
What I most enjoyed about this novel was that the story unfolded from multiple points of view keeping me curious abut what would happen at the turn of each page. This was aided by the shorter chapters which kept the pace of the story fast and kept me guessing. Overall, it is an enjoyable read and one worth checking out!

The narrative descriptions of the various locations in Nigeria made me feel as though I had been transported there myself. I would definitely recommend this for anyone who likes a
Andy Weston
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this Nigerian noir, author Adenle partly uses the narrative of the protagonist, English journalist Guy Collins, in Lagos to cover the elections, to tell the story of a few days of violence and corruption on the city’s streets. Indeed, as Adenle describes it, Lagos is a unwelcoming and quite frightening place. The novel is hardly an advertisement for tourism in Nigeria.
The characters are raw, and therefore very convincing, short introductions to them, no duality or pretensions. Prostitution p
Ifeoluwa
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. A fast paced crime thriller set in my home city of Lagos, Nigeria, Easy Motion Tourist does a great job of unapologetically describing the quotidian and bizarre things that make Lagos unique. The secondary characters that fuel the book’s action and humor are layered, their idiosyncrasies and motivations well described.

Deducting half a star because the interiority of one of main characters, Amaka, wasn’t as explored as Guy’s, and the women secondary characters, whose lives shaped the
Literary Everything
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The prologue is entertaining but also helps the reader solve a moral puzzle that may niggle at you as you read the story. What we particularly like about this book is that it humanises prostitutes and tells their stories. This book is as much about Guy’s adventures as it is about Amaka’s own personal penance. Read our full review here http://literaryeverything.com/2018/11...
Mrtruscott
Sep 25, 2018 marked it as threw-across-the-room-and-stopped-r
The book jacket and online descriptions plainly say “mutilated” comes into play in this book.

And yet I bought it.
And read over 1/3rd of it.
And then stopped.

I need a book about candy and unicorns now.
Princess
What if Nollywood produced action films that actually depicted crime on the ground in Lagos? Films in which armed robbers, policemen, journalists, lawyers and sex workers were portrayed in more nuanced, convincing ways? What if Nollywood(or Ghallywood or Ugawood) dispensed with ghastly, fooling-nobody CGI/sound effects, and traded instead in the very real arsenal of machetes and AK47s? Easy Motion Tourist begins to answer these questions. Crime in Lagos (or any other African city) is just as re ...more
Amaka Azie
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brilliant fast paced crime fiction set in Lagos, Nigeria. About Amaka a lawyer who pioneered a charity looking after prostitutes and Guy, an English journalist on a trip to Nigeria to cover the presidential elections.
In a bizarre twist of fate, they meet and work together to bring down a crime network harvesting human parts.
If like me, you were initially discouraged by the multiple POV and characters to keep up with, don’t give up. Persevere and you won’t regret this fictional journey.
I’m so
Karen Ashmore
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fascinating murder mystery set in Lagos, Nigeria, with more than a few hairpin turns. Leading you down a stereotypically western path of black magic juju, you find yourself in the midst of gangs, murder, wealth, power, and crooked police. My favorite character is Amaka, an independent, feminist Nigerian who stands up to exploitation of women. The ending lays the scene for a follow-up novel, which I eagerly look forward to reading.
Angelica
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This is an exciting action thriller taking place in Lagos. I enjoyed Amaka kicking butt and was intrigued by Ibriham but was ultimately horrified by the lack of rules and the absolute chaos of the underground world of this complex city.
Mike Esler
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nigerian Mystery

This was a fun read because of the setting. Hopefully the sequel will be a little more polished, but this was well worth reading.
Michael Osei
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
From the first page, you get the impression that you are reading a well-written blockbuster. And indeed it is. Leye impressively carries you through all the 300 and over pages effortlessly. He's smart enough to change view points, swimming into and out of the heads of multiple characters without losing suspense and he pulls some impressive short term and long term twists. This book should be flying off the shelves. I wish I could take a look at his research notes as he shows a good command over ...more
Siobbhan
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Easy Motion Tourist is a seriously compelling, gripping, and shocking crime thriller that never slows up! Leye Adenle is a master storyteller who can cleverly weave a picture of a world so dark and disturbing, yet even in the darkest moments find humour that releases the tension of fear you feel for Guy and Amata as they navigate a Hades level nightmare. Every character is 3 dimensional, even the most heinous has a hint of humanity. The imagery is vivid without ever being wordy and the story is ...more
M.i.
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love this book.

This book feels very Nigerian, yet its written in such a way that it should appeal to more than just Nigerians.

There are certainly cultural aspects of this that only Nigerians might be able to tell, but what I love about this is the way Leye leads even the indigenes down a certain route only to pull back and divert them another way. There are many surprises in this book, all nicely woven together to make this a pleasant experience.
Michael
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2016
Great, great, great. A fast-paced tale that speeds to a terrific (cliffhanger?) ending.
Ben
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just brilliant! Such a compelling read from start to finish. It's the best crime thriller I've read. It's action packed and exciting. Surely must be a hit!
The Book Banque
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In what starts off as an official trip and perhaps a hopeless bid for self-validation and/or actualisation, Guy Collins - a British wannabe journalist - voluntarily arrives Lagos to cover an election story. Like a kid who waves a hand through a fire to see if it burns, Collins sets out to discover the night life in Victoria Island, Lagos — or crudely, to find black loving.

Collins quickly learns that Lagos not only burns with a devouring intensity, with greed and poverty as oxidant and fuel, but
Tiffani
The publisher's description of Easy Motion Tourist grabbed me straight away. British journalist Guy Collins is at a nightclub, enjoying his first drink in Lagos, Nigeria when suddenly people come rushing into the club. They are clearly running from something. Collins goes outside to see what all the commotion is about and stumbles upon the mutilated body of a woman. Collins quickly learns that the reason people were running into the bar is because standard police protocol in Lagos is apparently ...more
Ebehi
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm somewhat ambivalent about Easy Motion Tourist: on the one hand, it had a fast-paced, engaging plot but the writing left something to be desired. It should definitely be adapted into a movie.

What I enjoyed:
This book was anything but dull. I zipped through it in a matter of hours because it was so hard to put down. Adenle does a great job of setting up the mystery and revealing just enough information to make to keep me invested but not so much that I grew bored with the ending.

The novel al
Jite
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m a scaredy cat normally and wouldn’t generally pick crime fiction but I’m making more of an effort to read Nigerian genre fiction these days so I picked this up and let me just say, it didn’t disappoint! The premise of this novel is Amaka, a tough, kick butt NGO worker and Guy, a somewhat naive British journalist (of the inexperienced yet intrepid oyinbo variety) whose paths cross over the ritual killing of a commercial sex worker. Together, they work to discover the culprit. More or less. Th ...more
Ian Muller
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
If I could, I'd give this a 3.5 out of 5 stars. I was very excited to read this--a Nigerian noir seemed too cool to pass up. There was a lot of good, especially in the first half of the book. The setting, characters and location were all well developed. I felt like I was a part of the world Leye Adenle had created. There were some great Ellroy-worthy bits of violence interspersed throughout the story, especially at the hands of the thugs Knockout and Go-slow.

The last third of the book started t
Rob Kitchin
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Set in Lagos in Nigeria, Adenle’s tale focuses on the plight of a visiting journalist who finds himself out-of-place in the seedy and dangerous underbelly of the city, tangling with corrupt police and politicians and vicious gangs who are involved in prostitution and trading body parts. His journey is guided by a beautiful, well-connected lawyer who is on a mission to improve the safety and lives of the city’s prostitutes and expose corrupt senior figures. Part of the tale concerns trying to pro ...more
Suyi Davies Okungbowa
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars because I actually enjoyed the book. Great portrait of Lagos without romanticising, fetishizing or painting it with some form of otherness. Some cool characters: Ade, Aunty Baby and the Police Chief particularly stood out for me. Also liked Guy and his properly represented Britishness. Found Amaka and Chief Amadi wanting, though, and Knockout was a bit melodramatic. Also hard to suspend disbelief at the whole shootout scene.

Still a good book; would recommend to lovers of crime/thrillers
Rogue Reader
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-africa
The first set of chapters define the characters and establish place, and what a place this is. Africa - Nigeria - hot and humid beyond belief with worlds between the rich and poor. Prostitution is a way out, and these women can get out thanks to practical and loving guidance. Men are pigs though, through and through
Ed
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
A novel reminiscent of the pulp fiction genre. Set in Nigeria it is a bleak account of violence, murder, rape, prostitution and ritual killing. No-one it appears can be trusted including the politicians, members of the armed services and police force who are largely portrayed as corrupt. Easy reading, but not a classic and certainly not an advert for tourism to the country.
Varrick Nunez
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one up on our Overdrive account at the public library because it's about Nigeria and I love to read about different places. I know nothing about. One stray detail was never resolved that the protagonist employment situation never became the dramatic issue it might have.

Overall, great story.
Awolanye Banigo
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Leye Adenle’s novel titled after a ‘70s highlife hit song by ‘The Harbours Band’ unravels a plot of armed robbery, police shenanigans, ritual killings, and a thriving trade in human body parts while giving the reader a guided tour of Lagos.
Latkins
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fast-paced thriller set in Nigeria, with a compelling central character in Amaka. I liked the way it was told from several different points of view, from British journalist Guy, to Amaka, to the police, working girls, various criminals and corrupt officials. A very different and original novel; I will definitely be reading the sequel.
Ishaq Hud
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Easy Motion Tourist would pass for an adventure, a crime fiction, and an advocacy novel, except it is not clear what the Author advocates. Leye Adenle takes us through the journey of sex workers in Lagos, Rituals, police and journalists. It's a comb through the hellhole that is the streets of Lagos and between the hullabaloo, Amaka is the voice of humanity and a symbol of sacrifice.
Not Another Book Podcast
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Susan
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nigeria
Although I love mysteries - especially about countries foreign to me - I found this book a mystery. I couldn't keep the names straight (understandable) or the story straight. Was rather bored by the end.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Fugitive Pigeon
  • Aya de Yopougon, Tome 4 (Aya, #4)
  • Who Will Catch Us As We Fall
  • Streets of Darkness (Harry Virdee, #1)
  • Longthroat Memoirs: Soups, Sex and Nigerian Taste Buds
  • Death of the Mantis (Detective Kubu, #3)
  • She Who Was No More
  • Gunshine State
  • Born on a Tuesday
  • Young Americans
  • 19 Purchase Street
  • Continental Crimes
  • Mexico City Noir
  • Blood Rose (Clare Hart, #2)
  • Too Lucky to Live
  • The Coaster
  • The Third Squad
  • Dark Whispers
Leye Adenle is a Nigerian writer. He has written a number of short stories and flash fiction pieces. Leye has appeared on stage in London in plays including Ola Rotimi’s Our Husband Has Gone Mad Again. He comes from a family of writers, the most famous of whom was his grandfather, Oba Adeleye Adenle I, a former king of Oshogbo in South West Nigeria. He lives in London.