Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2 (Harry Potter, #8)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2 (Harry Potter, #8)

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2 (Harry Potter #8)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  415,833 Ratings  ·  54,704 Reviews
The Eighth Story. Nineteen Years Later.

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It
Hardcover, Special Rehearsal Edition Script, 309 pages
Published July 31st 2016 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2, please sign up.

runedbooks Apparently, yes it is!!!!!! This article (http://www.hypable.com/harry-potter-a...) says that publishers are already vying over the rights to publish…moreApparently, yes it is!!!!!! This article (http://www.hypable.com/harry-potter-a...) says that publishers are already vying over the rights to publish it, and that the book will contain the exact contents of the script, but in printed form!!! Well, it's not *another* Harry Potter novel like the first seven ones were, but at this point I'm pretty sure we're all so desperate that JK Rowling could write a book about Harry shitting and we'd all read the HELL OUT OF THAT.(less)

Emily May
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

3 1/2 stars. I completely get why many HP fans will be disappointed with this, but I have to admit: I really enjoyed it. I'd love to see this story play out on stage.

So yeah, I understand the sad feelings. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child has a completely different vibe. Aside from being a play, it's also a more mature, character-driven, less magical story. It does not feel like an eighth Harry Potter book at all; there's a real disconnect between this play and the other seven novels. And you k
Khanh (the meanie)
It was alright. It was just alright.

I know I gave this 4 stars, but to be honest, J.K. Rowling can write a dictionary with Harry Potter illustrations and I'd probably give it 4 stars, so my rating is almost irrelevant here, given my extreme bias.

The thing is, it was cute, it was sweet, it was entirely nostalgic to see the old crew again, but I hated the play format. As a person who grew up with Harry Potter, and who is in her early 30s now, I feel like I grew up with Harry Potter and the crew, a
Lola  Reviewer
You know, I really hadn’t foreseen the publication of something to lengthen Harry Potter’s story after the conclusion that was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

So, the way I see it, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is a lovely gift to every Harry Potter fan out there who has hoped and waited a long time to see their wizard friends again.

Though the plot holes are very visible and spread throughout the story, they make for charming and heartfelt conversations between characters, so I didn’t
Riley
Shelves: disappointing
Ok wow where do I even begin with this.

My summarized thoughts are that this was a waste of my time. I've seen a lot of reviews where people say this read like fanfiction and they would be correct. Because this IS fanfiction. JK Rowling did not write this. I will repeat, JK ROWLING DID NOT WRITE THIS.

With that cleared up, this shouldn’t exist. The play was not meant to be read like this, it was meant to be seen. If they wanted a book they should have made a novelized version but instead they took
Maxwell
Shelves: i-own-it, 2016
Update:
+1 star for (view spoiler)
-1 star for (view spoiler)
-1 star for (view spoiler)
-1 star for (view spoiler)
and -1 star for (view spoiler)
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I'm not going to rate this.
I didn't hate it.
I didn't love it.
It's just a thing that exists and I'm accepting it for what it is.

*edit: I didn't mean for this review to come off as shady as it did. I'm going to make a video discussing my feelings further. I'm happy that we got to visit this world again, but it just wasn't what I was expecting it to be. If you LOVED this book, that's okay! I'm happy that you enjoyed it.
Mercedes
Aug 01, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let's be honest - this read like badly written fan fiction
Cait • A Page with a View
ALL MAJOR SPOILERS ARE HIDDEN.

Ok, I actually went into this with zero spoilers and very few expectations so that I'd enjoy whatever it turned out to be. I mean, I like scripts. Harry Potter is my life. We're good. So I really tried not to compare this to the HP books or look at it as an intense fan, but it's pretty underwhelming no matter how you approach it...

The story picks up at the end of the Deathly Hallows epilogue where Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Malfoy are seeing their kids leave o
Natalie
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
description
This review contains *mild spoilers*.

I've waited for this particular story for what feels like ages, and words cannot even describe for how grateful I am that it finally exists in my hands. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child continues the wondrous magical world that we all know and love.

The story starts out at King's Cross with the original trio preparing their school-age children to board the train to start their first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

It's at this time that Ha
Bookdragon Sean
Now this was a real shame. It read like some juvenile fan fiction. The characters were utterly lifeless. Perhaps seeing this would be better. The stage actor’s performances would carry the emotion and drama the dialogue completely failed to convey.

The stage directions were also minimalistic. I mean we have a basic location set for us, but that’s about all. There’s no real expression or sense of urgency. All in all, it’s just a little flat. The plot is feasible, even if it felt a little forced, b
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

RULE FOR SPOILERS: if it's in the first 10%, and therefore (in most cases) available for scrutiny from undecided readers in the FREE downloadable preview, IT'S NOT A SPOILER.

That being said, a LOT of things happen--IMPORTANT things--in the first five percent, let alone ten percent of HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD, so if you'd rather go into your read without significant prior knowledge, leave this review immediately.

That's the only warning you're going to get.

In my ex
Beth Hudspeth
It's finally HERE!!! HP FOR LIFE!!

My post on Hello Beautiful Book Blog

WHO'S EXCITED?!?
OMGGGGGGG
It's going to be published on HARRY'S BIRTHDAY!!!!
OH HAPPY DAYYYY

photo tumblr_o0d8loWWsn1sgl0ajo1_500_zps9pu5oos3.gif
 photo jk-rowling-posted-a-new-harry-potter-story-about-harry-potter_zpsfbhtyxxz.gif
 photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-12118-1387505440-9_zps8fmzwups.gif
 photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-20007-1399060810-32_zps7zgoutlk.gif

FROM TIME MAGAZINE ONLINE:
"There’s good news for Harry Potter fans who won’t be able to make it to London to see the theatrical production of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: the play will be published in book form immediately after its debut.

The script, written by Jack Thorne and based on a story by J.K. Rowling, Thorne and John Tiff
Kai
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2016, pottershelf
"Hogwarts is a big place."
"Big. Wonderful. Full of food. I’d give anything to be going back."

Final official review of the script and the play:
I've read the book first. You can't expect me to wait 4 days and not read a book that has the name J. K. Rowling on it.
I was disappointed for several reason. Because I'm keeping the secrets let's cloak it in a (view spoiler)
Samantha
Feb 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After years of wishing and waiting........AT LAST! My precious!! *said in Gollum voice*

UPDATED after reading: NO NO NO NO. Terrible writing I can let slide (it's a play so I would expect the acting to salvage that) but the plot was pointless, the characters were, well, out of character, and it felt
Horrible like bad fan fiction....no
Mohammed Arabey
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

They're back..One More time..19 years later.

In a different style..

Harry Potter & The Cursed 8th Book
DRACO: I don’t care what you did or who you saved, you are a constant curse on my family, Harry Potter.

A 'Play', of friendship, courage & anti-prejudice as before..
AND
Marital relations, Father/Son issues.

A new Story goes farther than ever..
travelling back & forth in time..
Then back to where it all began..

To close the circle.
Once & for all.

HARRY: The Boy Who Lived. How many peo
Giuls
After Reading:
1,5 stars

Nope, that's definitely not what I hoped this book'd have been.

Recensione in Italiano:
La prima parte della storia non è nemmeno male, poi però tutto inizia ad essere confusonario e, diciamocelo, praticamente senza senso.
Nel complesso comunque sarebbe una storia nella media, una storia da 3 stelline, diciamo.

Poi uno si rende conto che è di Harry Potter che stiamo parlando e allora mani nei capelli: ma cos’è sta roba?!?
Questo libro non ha decisamente nulla a che fare con Har
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
CONGRATS TO HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD FOR WINNING THE 2016 GOODREADS CHOICE AWARDS FOR BEST FANTASY!!!

Bloody Hell!

I freaking cried. I was afraid I wasn't going to like this book but I did and I damn cried. This is a SPOILER FREE review so I can't tell you what made me cry.

Even though this is about the kids and all of our loves are older, they wrote the book in a way that we get to have some memories of certain things. And my favorite character made me cry again!

I really hope they put
Emma Giordano
FULL VIDEO REVIEW IS LIVE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNTYG...
I have a lot of mixed feelings on this book. Am I happy we got another Harry Potter story? Yes. Am I satisfied with some aspects? Absolutely. But am I disappointed as well? Unfortunately, YES.

L I K E S :
Characters:
I was so happy to feel like the characters were authentic. Throughout the entire novel, these felt like the children I grew up alongside and their development over the last two decades into adults felt REAL. Everyone wa
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
SPOILER FREE VIDEO REVIEW: https://youtu.be/WUFTFkyDHlY

2.5* (I think)
So here's the deal. I went into this being apprehensive. My expectations were low and I was right. I just felt like Harry Potter's story ended where it had to end. The questions that were left unanswered kept the story alive as I would imagine what might be going on in their lives as adults. This answers all those questions and then some. I wanted to rate this higher but I think 2.5 is as high as I can go. These characters didn
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
Spoiler free review!
This review can also be found on my blog, Dana and the Books.

I never thought I'd get to count down the days to another Harry Potter release.

I was understandably hesitant about a sequel, but I'm relieved after having read it. It was everything I could have hoped for and not at all what I was expecting - seriously, not at all - but it was perfect.  It was the type of story I play within my head when I have too much time on my hands. I was super lucky to be able to go into the s
Darth J
I need to accio! this book immediately.

Sidenote: can time turners go forward into the future?

Raeleen Lemay
I enjoyed this, but it also felt very unnecessary. Barely anything was gained by the end of the story due to all the (view spoiler) but whatever. I would KILL to see the play because I cannot comprehend how all of that would work on a stage, and I'm glad I read this, but it's definitely borderline fanfiction in my mind. It was like watching A Very Potter Musical, but not quite as fun.
Ben Alderson
Wow!

What an experience this was. I loved going back and visiting Hogwarts again.
Very enjoyable read. Thank you JK!
Brian Yahn
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J.K. Rowling could punch me in the face, and I'd still like it. The truth is, this isn't one of her stories, and it shows. For one, it's not even a book.

Regardless, the magic is here, and I like it just the same. The plot might be convoluted and crazy, but the world is magical enough for it to somehow work. It makes for all the thrills and mystery you come to expect from the Harry Potter universe.

Coming back to this series felt like returning to school after a long summer break. Although it take
Natalie Monroe
"How many people have died for the Boy Who Lived?”

Cynical Natalie: Beware ye who enter. Here there be spoilers the size of Aragog.

Nice Natalie: What are you, narrating a movie? Don't scare them. All major spoilers are hidden, but really, we recommend going into The Cursed Child blind. Drop by after you finish!

Cynical Natalie: Alright, let's get down to it. What the flip did we just read?

Nice Natalie: A lovely story about family and threads we didn't know needed to be tied up, but made perfec
Chelsea
Shelves: read-in-2016
review also posted on Wordpress!

Warning: This review contains major spoilers! Don’t read this if you haven’t read the Harry Potter series and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child yet!
-------------------------------------
If you loved Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, I wouldn’t recommend reading my review. This is going to be a rant! You’ve been warned!
-------------------------------------
This is the very first time I have rated a book one stars! Believe me, I don’t want to do this, but I real
Beatrice Masaluñga
The Eighth Story.
Nineteen Years Later.

Merlin's Beard. To publish on July 31st 2016.
It's going to be real. AT LAST. MORE MAGIC.
ACCIO THIS SCRIPT BOOK!
I am a happy Potterhead!

Taneika
Feb 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
Just going to keep my original pre-review here BC MY FEELINGS ARE THE SAME

Although I do have some negative thoughts about it which I'll go into more detail with later, REGARDLESS, I finished this in one sitting and thought it was like, 95% fab

Michelle
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think the epilogue to the original Harry Potter series, found in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows", was a masterful finale to the saga. It gave readers a hint of the adult lives of Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione, as well as a glimpse of their children. It suggested the adventures that had occurred in the intervening 19 years without spelling them out. It was a marvelous ending, with just enough tantalizing information given and just enough details withheld to leave me closing the book wit ...more
Let's have a bit of fun, shall we? 13 81 Oct 12, 2017 10:28AM
Touching Spirit Bear/Ghost of Spirit Bear 1 3 Oct 07, 2017 10:30AM
Leserunde - Let's...: Harry Potter und das verwunschene Kind 4 31 Oct 06, 2017 12:55PM
The Canon Debate [SPOILERS] 31 301 Oct 03, 2017 09:47AM
  • The Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
  • Feedback (Newsflesh, #4)
  • Vengeful (Villains, #2)
  • Lethal White (Cormoran Strike, #4)
  • Archangel's Heart (Guild Hunter, #9)
  • Warcross (Warcross, #1)
  • The Upside of Unrequited
  • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
  • Etched in Bone (The Others, #5)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
  • Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Apocalypse Guard (Apocalypse Guard, #1)
  • The Returned (The Archived, #3)
  • Tales of the Peculiar (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #0.5)
  • The Operator (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #2)
  • Silence Fallen (Mercy Thompson, #10)
  • Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2)