Start by marking “A Minger’s Tale: Beginnings” as Want to Read:
A Minger’s Tale: Beginnings

Read Book

A Minger’s Tale: Beginnings

"Do greener pastures exist for the colour blind, and how would they ever know?"

Ribbans story begins in the city of Manchester in Northern England. The book is a humorous and at times gritty account of his wayward path through those formative early years.

Ribban Bookmark is one of life`s misfits. Born in Manchester, in the UK during the late 1950`s to Irish immigrants. He re
Published March 28th 2016 by Amazon

To ask other readers questions about A Minger’s Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Minger’s Tale

Dianne
Ribban Bookmark is one of life`s misfits. Enter to Win One of THREE eCopies
Click on Banner to enter - Intl where allowed - May 23 - June 6, 2016

Have you ever had a “bad” day, I mean a day where the world seems to be lining up to give you a swift kick, or maybe toss a pie in your face? Welcome to Ribban’s life. R.B.N. Bookmark’s tongue-in-cheek, witty and sometimes painful, A Minger’s Tale-Beginnings is the author’s tale of his life growing up as a misfit in a time when the economy of his world
Mathew Walls
Jan 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was sent a free copy of this book in exchange for agreeing to review it. tl;dr: Bad writing, lies and plagiarism

This isn't a bad book. It's a terrible book. You know that guy – maybe he's a co-worker, maybe he's an uncle, maybe he's a stranger on the bus – who thinks he's raconteur, but his stories go nowhere, aren't funny, and have no connection to anything? RBN Boookmark is that guy.

Also he's a bad liar. Obvious pseudonym aside – and why is his supposed nickname “Ribban” instead of “Ribbon”?
Teddy
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Wow, I thought I had a rough time as a kid. What I endured was not much compared to what R.B.N. Bookmark (Ribban) endured. First, it’s important to know the definition of a “Minger”. “A minger is a male or female who fell out of the ugly tree at birth and hit every branch on the way down.” When I read that, I envisioned the old ‘Road Runner’ cartoons. That poor Coyote always got hurt in the end. He hit every rock, fell off cliffs, exploded, etc. It was funny! The different was that Coyote got wh ...more
Janet Marvel
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is much more to this book than meets the eye.
As memoires go it is an unusual book, witty and at times extremely funny and yet when all the witticisms etc are peeled away another picture emerges.
The author paints a vivid image of juvenile insecurities against the working class backdrop of northern Britain.
His story is told in a unapologetic fashion which I found absolutely refreshing, this is a gritty modern day saga .
Bookmark is a evocative writer who provokes emotions, some may dislike h
Martin Skate
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A delicious cocktail of hilarious underdog triumphs!

Even from the title you get an idea that this book leans on the side of deadpan during an underdog story, in essence it is a deliciously honest and positively told autobiography lit by hilarious anecdotes and dazzling insight. A Minger's tale is an insight into the frustratingly mundane and difficult side of the trials of one man desperately seeking improvement through tough times on the breadline of England 1970s.

Wittily written, punctuated
Georgia Rose
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are many reasons why someone writes a book and for this author it was the death of his father that was the trigger for him to start telling his story which is in the form of a memoir, and this, as the subtitle promises, covers the early days of his life, from the 1960’s to the 1980’s.

I was a little behind on some of things this writer experienced for two reasons. Firstly, I am a few years younger so my terms of reference are a little off, and secondly, we grew up in very different worlds.
John Findley
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A Minger`s Tale: Beginnings
By R.B.N. Bookmark (Author)
Ribban tells the reader that the British slang definition: A minger is a male or female who fell out of the ugly tree at birth and hit every branch on the way down. The Author identifies with the minger.
His story begins at his childhood and takes us through the first part of his life. He just follows the easy path making poor decisions, but seldom suffering the consequences of his miss behavior.
Ribban’s story appears to be a tongue-in-cheek a
Jeanette
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so pleased to have won this book in a recent Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

I don't usually read humour, but what a refreshing change it was. I am British and grew up in a deprived area myself. My late son often used to say 'What a minger'. A thoroughly enjoyable book and one that I can recommend.
Stacey Broadbent
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This isn’t my usual book choice but I was asked to review, and the title intrigued me.

The story of R.B.N Bookmark and his beginnings is an entertaining, well written read. His honesty is refreshing and it made for quite the interesting read. He has a way with words that I don’t find often in my usual reads, and I found myself really appreciating the difference.

I like that he doesn’t gloss over things and make them seem better than they were. He tells it like it was. It’s certainly a different ki
Bookgirl86
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious! I was pulled into this book right from the beginning by the funny prose and the stripped-down style of writing. It paints a picture of growing up in the mid-20th century in England that reminds me of a classic sitcom or something. But one of those that you had to sneak downstairs and watch after your parents went to bed.
Ribban Bookmark ( a pseudonym that was so hilarious that I chuckled every time I read it, honestly) had a hard life. The son of two Irish immigrants, Ribban grew up i
G. Baum
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's an interesting coming of age story that has a good balance of humor, which is something I enjoy in any book. That touch of humor often holds me in a story. The time era of this story fascinates me. The writing itself is professional, easy to read but keeps you reading about this kid's hard life and dealing with the hard knocks along the way. The characters were very real and made me wonder how much might have been first hand experience by the author. Great book that I can happily recommend.
Carole Rae
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really had no idea what I was getting into when I picked this book up. I wasn’t even sure what the title meant, so this was bound to be interesting. And interesting it was.
The story follows Ribban and his journey to adulthood. Each chapter centered on certain themes such as “Childhood” and etc. I liked the setup, it was okay and easy to follow. I think it would’ve flowed better if it was in chronical order. There was a lot of time jumping between stories. BUT the format still worked and it wa
Cissa
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Minger’s tale- review

What a difference cultures and situations make! The author is roughly my age, and yet his experiences of life could hardly be more different than mine.

And that’s part of what fascinated me about this book. I read books because I want to experience vicariously things that I cannot experience directly, and this slice of life fascinated me because of that, and that we are roughly age-mates but with such wildly different experiences!

The tone is more conversational than memoir-li
Oliver Michael
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The story begins with RBN telling us about the pain he felt when he lost his father and how this particular incident affected him both physically and mentally. This was really the basis of the story. He tells us how the documentary he watched on BBC about a man who was helped by Amazon to publish a book and how this provoked and brought out his potential as a writer. He thought of the book he
Writergideon
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Minger’s Tale: Beginner
Book review
Finding yourself may sound like an inherently self centered goal, but its actually an unselfish process that is the root of everything we strive to do in life. This personal journey is one adventurous undertaking that every individual should enjoy. ‘A Minger’s Tale: Beginner’ is one such unique story that anyone who is striving to find his/her authentic self can relate to. Due to the expertise exuded by the author in bringing out his personal experience when
JackB
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As memoirs go this is as different as they come, and I can honestly say it is the most enjoyable book I have read in quite sometime.

Bookmarks style of writing is infectious.
I enjoyed getting into the head of the books main character Ribban, a loutish misfit who means no harm but can`t come to terms with achanging world.
Hilarious is another word I dare not forget to say, because the authors unique and uncompromising style of writing had me at times in stitches. Despite the ups and downs he comes
Joe Davis
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book to review, so I took a chance and I must admit Im glad I did.
It is a coming of age story with a difference that is humorous and yet does not take itself too seriously as I find so many biographies are these days.

Bookmarks story is a rollercoaster of anecdotes that are loosely compiled, which I found made his story so realistic. The tale of an ordinary guy who nobody has ever heard of but who has a voice and a story that are quite compelling and at times controversi
Angeline Brown
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the beginning of A Minger’s Tale, the author paints a very clear picture of life in Manchester as a child. I could totally imagine him leaving his chud (chewing gum) in the girl’s hair who sat before him in the cinema. I can easily see this book appealing to those who have lived or worked in Manchester but it is written in a way that even those not from the area who do not know the slang etc will still enjoy it. From page one it is a witty and entertaining read.
From football and brown sauce
Lori Byrd
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definition: A minger is a male or female who fell out of the ugly tree at birth and hit every branch on the way down.
So the book starts and gets more and more amusing as it goes on. I loved the journey from a boy into a young man. A naughty little boy trying his best ( or not) to be good. I loved it.
Lauren
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was absolutely hilarious. While reading this, I recieved many dirty and curious glances from my family because I would suddenly laugh with no expanation as for why. The author has voice and style that is just humorus enough to be accepted as serious but not overly done. If you want laughs you should definitiely read.
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an eye-opening tale by a debut author that I really enjoyed. The title immediately got my attention and I found myself sniggering from the first chapter. The humour literally bounces off the pages and I am looking forward to the next instalment.
ChillwithabookAWARD With
A Minger's Tale by R B N Bookmark has received a Chill with a Book Readers' Award
www.chillwithabook.com

"An excellent story full of humour and nostalgia."

"Well written portraying life in the 1960s and 1970s especially around Manchester."

"A thoroughly enjoyable read on social history."

"Very well written brought back memories of those times."

Pauline Barclay
Founder of Chill with a Book Awards
Susie Starrfield
Interesting, quirky memoir of growing up poor and unmotivated in Manchester, England during the 1960's-70's. Bookmark writes with clear eyes and from the viewpoint of his older self. I found his tale quite engaging.
Danielle Urban
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Minger's Tale, by R. B. N. Bookmark, is a wonderfully told memoir. Bookmark's journey is one that intrigues and lures readers like myself further into the book. It is easy to relate to as the tale is about the writer's ups and downs in life. Life can be awful, but some of us have more downs than ups. His struggles tugged at my heart. Following as R. B. N. Bookmark made mistakes, took what life gave him, and how he survived it all, made me really connect with the writer. Funny, inspiring, and t ...more
David James
Bookmark, R.B.N. A Minger’s Tale

Like Paul McVeigh’s The Good Son and Frank McCourt’s Angela’s Ashes Ribban Bookmark’s A Minger’s Tale is a childhood memoir grounded in poverty. Although his parents are also poor Irish, his story is contemporary, being based on growing up in the1960-80s in Manchester. But ‘my school days,’ he tells the reader, ‘were interrupted to a large extent by illness,’ and he was a slow learner, neglected by most of his teachers.

From the start, a note of ‘Blame the Bastard
Anthony Stancomb
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it
A very good portrait of life in a hard-pressed area of England during the seventies. We follow our hero through his childhood and teenage struggle, and learn a lot about the deprivation and despair, that blighted much of society in those days (not that this doesn’t still somewhat afflict us today).
It shows how deprivation, sense of inadequacy and lack of ambition can affect a young mind and bring lack of self-worth. In this it’s a telling document, as we follow the author through his early years
Ray
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I took a chance on this book, the synopsis was funny and the sample I read interested me enough to read the rest of the book.

As memoirs go this one harks back to the black and white British films of the 1960s and a style of writing which for me evokes memories of Ken Loach.

Bookmark has a narrative perception which entices the reader into his grasp, it is quite simply a well written if quirky book about a child growing up in the UK during the economic crisis of the late 60s and 70s.

It all sounds
251 Things To Do
Due to my Americanism, until I opened the book, I didn’t know what a minger was. According to the author, a minger is British slang for a male or female who fell out of the ugly tree at birth and hit every branch on the way down. The author is a minger.

Lacking confidence in himself, or maybe he blatantly excepts the fact that he truly is a minger, the author recounts his life’s ups and downs...mostly the downs but with every down, he shines a light. “I never thought I’d make it this far in life
Eoin

• Chronicles of a Lincoln Park Fashionista
  • Bacon Pie
  • Just A Game
  • Larry Goes To Space
  • The Prophecy (A Dragon's Tale, #1)
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
  • Lord of Secrets (Rogues to Riches, #5)
  • How (Not) to Kiss Your Dog
  • Girl: Repurposed
  • Until You
  • Twelfth Sun
  • Playing the Maestro
  • Love Caters All (The Lobster Cove, #1)
  • Secondhand Romance (Brothers of Audubon Springs, #2)
  • Keeper of the Moon (The Keepers: L.A. #2)
  • Sidekick (Sidekick in the City, #1)
  • Kip the Quick
  • Claimed (Haven Realm #4)